Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Thanks. yeah its a good V twin B&S engine but ill change the oil this weekend as im nearing the 10hr mark. I assume filter to change also?

I'd change the filter but iirc the manual will say it doesn't need to be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭kaiserrussel

deezell wrote: »
    Stiga Estate 5092 H is the pick of the Agrieuro €2-2,5K price range. Made in EU, american made B&S avs engine, hydro, electric blade, a hefty 10% off brings it right under your budget.. Slightly narrower cut than some in this price point at 93cm, but given the relatively small cutting area this might be an advantage if you have tight spaces in parts. AVS engines have less vibration than normal single cylinder engines. As you only have 0.3acre to cut, ( make sure your reading from the app was in Acres, not Hectares), and some of this is not suitable for a ride on, maybe you would be better off with a large 30"/77cm walk behind mower like this Toro Timemaster, €1400.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/toro-timemaster-30-quot-mower-new-model/12288417

For about the same money you could have this used Honda v twin engined ride on, from the same dealer.

https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/honda-2315-ride-on-mower/21934456

Out of curiosity, post link to that Polish importer.

Hi deezal, I cant find the guy now again but here was the site that he posted on obi.pl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭deezell

Pacifico wrote: »

If you want a side discharge mower, this is good value. Enough power as long as it's not too heavy, but side discharge can cope better than collector, and you'll be mowing more frequently si as not to have heavy swards of cuttingd lying on the ground.Big cut at 107 cm, 42", it'll fly through a big garden. CVT variable speed is a simple concept compared to hydrostatic drive, just a belt between variable diameter pulleys. Used in quads, Should be reliable enough. The slightly smaller m145 but with the 107cm deck is €2100 On Agrieuro, so this m185, an extra horsepower, bigger tyres, for €1900 is a good deal. You'll pay at least €300 more for this width with hydrostatic drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Buying house with 1/2 acre lawn needing cutting-what rideon lawnmower would you recommend for a woman. I think I don’t want a very powerful one-something I’ll be able to manage myself and not injure myself/others! Budget is stretched buying house so would I be better with a traditional one?

• Advertisement

honeybear wrote: »
    .........what rideon lawnmower would you recommend for a woman...

Haha, one with a man attached! Seriously, we'll end up in front of the gender police if we even joke about this. Nowsdays, I see lots of ladies horsing round gardens on big tractor mower. I will say though that one thing about ride on mowers that is a factor is the steering effort. On a small site you will be doing a lot of twists and turns, and the steering can be heavy work with a front engine ride on. The rear engine types like this below are better for smaller gardens, easier to steer, and get into tight spaces.
    https://www.agrieuro.co.uk/castelgarden-xe-866-rider-tractor-mower-bs-875-engine-electric-start-4-1-gear-speeds-p-8460.html
    If your site is a half acre gross including house, drives etc, you can mow with a good wide walk behind self propelled. An hour or so would get through it, and you'll be able to finish out awkward bits that a ride on would miss. Good exercise too, (for the wimmen).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

The rear engine types like this below are better for smaller gardens, easier to steer, and get into tight spaces.
    https://www.agrieuro.co.uk/castelgarden-xe-866-rider-tractor-mower-bs-.

ya, they're handy for that.....but a pain in hole for maintenance esp if you want to get at the engine, sometimes means stripping the body

fryup wrote: »
    ya, they're handy for that.....but a pain in hole for maintenance esp if you want to get at the engine, sometimes means stripping the body

Yea, but if you're a Real Man and into all your own fixing and maintenance, you probably would be ashamed to be seen on one of these!
    I presume the beefier zero turns are just as big a pita to pull apart. More gender stereotyping, I'll get banned.

Yea, but if you're a Real Man and into all your own fixing and maintenance, you probably would be ashamed to be seen on one of these!
    I presume the beefier zero turns are just as big a pita to pull apart. More gender stereotyping, I'll get banned.

I used to have a Snapper Lawn Rider, very good machine with the Bag n Wagon attached but I felt like a chicken sat on a perch when using it :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Apologies but I need to rant. Weather has been a pain in the hoop lately to allow grass be cut. Yesterday evening I had just drove onto the grass and it bucketed down rain. This evening I had intentions to cut and it's just after raining.

Think I'll just have to bite the bullet and cut this evening when it has stopped raining - at least get a high cut done. Weather is not improving and it's nearly 2 weeks since I last cut as I have been away.

Irish summers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,835 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Unfortunately many of the models that are used for racing have been out of production for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Just checking the manual regarding oil change for my 5112z and it states to dispose of the drain plug seal ring. I assume this is the norm and I can get a new seal ring from my local supplier? (Never done an oil change on a mower before)

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1194922/Viking-Mt-5112-Z.html?page=48#manual

Just checking the manual regarding oil change for my 5112z and it states to dispose of the drain plug seal ring. I assume this is the norm and I can get a new seal ring from my local supplier? (Never done an oil change on a mower before)

Get one in your local autoparts. It's unlikely old one will leak or split, maybe after multiple changes. Don't overtighten.

Get one in your local autoparts. It's unlikely old one will leak or split, maybe after multiple changes. Don't overtighten.

Thanks Deezell. Assume there standard size.

Thanks Deezell. Assume there standard size.
    On mower engines as such, autoparts will have a few different sizes. Stick a ruler on it before you go, or bring it with you. Mower/ hire shops also.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

The old seal should be fine. I check and reuse on my 5112z without issue.

Needles73 wrote: »
    The old seal should be fine. I check and reuse on my 5112z without issue.

Agreed, OK with self service, dealers have to be seen to change. Ironically, my used 6127zl was main dealer serviced annually, probably had new seals, but the oil filter was insufficiently tightened, weeping oil under the engine for a season before I solved it.

Cheers all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

I'd say this would be out of the budget requirements. And I don't remember 0-100 times being on my requirements list.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/weird/lawnmower-does-0-100mph-63-seconds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

Don't mean to be an ol fart..but is there a way to operate a ride on economically??..how high should the revs be while cutting for instance?

frosty123 wrote: »
    Don't mean to be an ol fart..but is there a way to operate a ride on economically??..how high should the revs be while cutting for instance?
    Full throttle. This is set to provide the optimum blade velocity. Lower engine speed will labour the engine, unless its very light.

frosty123 wrote: »

I can feel your pain, it costs me about €15 every time I cut the lawn.

my3cents wrote: »
    I can feel your pain, it costs me about €15 every time I cut the lawn.
    How big is your cutting area? 15€, thats 10 litres. I get near to three cuts out of a 10l Jerry can between the hand mower and ride on, grass area about 1.4 acres on a 2.8 acre site.

How big is your cutting area? 15€, thats 10 litres. I get near to three cuts out of a 10l Jerry can between the hand mower and ride on, grass area about 1.4 acres on a 2.8 acre site.

I normally buy 20l at a time (two 10l cans) and with the other machines I use after 2 full cuts there is no way I'd have enough to do another cut. Its not just one machine that 20l would also be for 2 Stroke mix for a strimmer and a small 4Hp mower.

Area is a very fiddly acre, in and out and around of willow shelter beds, its 250m (sorry mixing imp and metric :o) long so there a lot of time spent driving the length of the site emptying the grass box. The old mower is nearly 15 years old so probably not as ecenomical as it once was, I vaguely remember just being able to do the lot on one fill which is about 5l.

Edit> Thinking about it the main area is 250m long then there is another 50m the other side of the house and a rough area of grass that takes it well over an acre.

my3cents wrote: »
    I normally buy 20l at a time (two 10l cans) and with the other machines I use after 2 full cuts there is no way I'd have enough to do another cut. Its not just one machine that 20l would also be for 2 Stroke mix for a strimmer and a small 4Hp mower.

Area is a very fiddly acre, in and out and around of willow shelter beds, its 250m (sorry mixing imp and metric :o) long so there a lot of time spent driving the length of the site emptying the grass box. The old mower is nearly 15 years old so probably not as ecenomical as it once was, I vaguely remember just being able to do the lot on one fill which is about 5l.

Edit> Thinking about it the main area is 250m long then there is another 50m the other side of the house and a rough area of grass that takes it well over an acre.

It's just that 10 litres seems a lot for a single cut, even with overlap and emptying. I'd burn more if it was heavy due to not being cut, but in that case I usually raise the blade a notch, cut, then go back maybe half a week later and cut at normal height. Hand mower uses maybe half a litre each cut doing the banks and edges, strimmer every other week, about a quarter litre. I easily do all this twice+ on 10 litres, and have squeezed a third cut during dry spells with light growth. Twin cylinder Viking runs at a modest rpm, and is barely stressed in the central areas where the growth is light. It's heavier in the shaded areas under trees. Make sure your air filters are clean and clear, they'll act like having the choke on if blocked.
    I suppose a lot depends on the density of the grass, the type of grass and how low you cut. I cut high pretty much all the time, with maybe once dropping a notch to catch out the lurking weeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

my3cents, sounds you live in a country manor old boy *doff the cap

fryup wrote: »
    my3cents, sounds you live in a country manor old boy *doff the cap

I used to live in a country manor 160 acres and 5 acres of garden - no kidding, but only in the gardeners cottage :D

Now I just have a house in a field and the field has been turned into a garden. Not even my field.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭mengele

Is 175hrs in a 2017 castlegarden xt190hd high hours? It still looks like new bar the hours.

• Advertisement

mengele wrote: »
    Is 175hrs in a 2017 castlegarden xt190hd high hours? It still looks like new bar the hours.

It's a decent enough mower for the cut width, recommended for up to 10k m2, about 2.5 acres, but I'd rate it for about 1-1.25 acre, single cylinder 500cc engine a tad on the light side for anything more. If its been driven at say 5kph, with actual cutting time 80% of this, then it's cutting an acre an hour. If it's cut 175 acres since 2017, say two and a half seasons, that's 70 acres in any year, so it's been cutting 2 acres per cut for 35 cuts per year, which could be 5 cuts per month over 7 months per season. It's high enough for 2.5 seasons, but not excessive. It's really more like 4-5 years work, so use that to calculate used price. €3,500 new, less 20%, 10%, 10%, 10% for 4 seasons worth of use. €3500, less 700, 280, 252, 227 give a residual value of €2041 for 4 years. What's the asking price?

EDIT; here's a 128 hour one for €2200 (£1950) in the North as a guide

https://www.gumtree.com/p/lawn-mowers/castelgarden-xt-190-hd-ride-on-lawn-mower-100-hours/1341160476[\url]

Advertisement