Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ladder and Larson traps

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭stevep1018

Did you catch them in a short period or in ones and twos.

Different numbers in traps every evening.on some rare nights you have nothing but almost every other evening you could have anything from 1 to 10 between 2 trap's.ive given away 14 callbirds to neighbouring club and when I was having a bad survival rate with magpies,they helped us out so it's nice to return the favour.we find that it's best to keep fresh callbirds in the traps because old ones seem to just perch all day and lose interest in their job.we keep 4 spare Grey's and 4 magpies for our own traps or incase anyone is stuck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭Cadpat_cowboy

Any body around West Wicklow south Dublin have a spare magpie they would part with to use as a call bird?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I usually don't bother with Larsons too much during this time of year but will probably go with them again in the next few weeks such is the amount of large magpie broods arriving into the place since the start of last month

Birdnuts wrote: »
    I usually don't bother with Larsons too much during this time of year but will probably go with them again in the next few weeks such is the amount of large magpie broods arriving into the place since the start of last month

Where I am is over run with pies at the moment, too many to shoot so the trap is probably best option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Birdnuts wrote: »

Yea young magpies really fall for the larsons. Had countless times with three in the trap. Never managed a full house of mags tbough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

Any body around West Wicklow south Dublin have a spare magpie they would part with to use as a call bird?

I will put out the trap this evening when I get home, your almost guaranteed a bird by tomorrow lunchtime if you want.

Mech1 wrote: »
    I will put out the trap this evening when I get home, your almost guaranteed a bird by tomorrow lunchtime if you want.

Thank you very much man be great to reduce there numbers Abit around the yard.

Ok Trap set,,, Watch this space for a update.

I must have caught a dozen Starlings this morning.
    No Magpies yet.

• Advertisement

All starlings released obviously!!!

All starlings released obviously!!!

Was having the same issue my self man catching starlings and jackdaw but no pies

Apparently Magpie in trap now, as long as he doesnt escape by 5pm when i get home hes yours.

OK Magpie secure. Fed and watered, pm me a contact number and I'll give you a call re collection.

Good luck with it!!!
    Report back here how you get on.
    And thanks for the other things!

Good luck with it!!!
    Report back here how you get on.
    And thanks for the other things!

Two pies already the down emptied it and move it on to the next bit if land keep the rotation going.

• Advertisement

Keep your call bird sheltered, well fed and watered. He is young and from a different area, so don't swap him out until you have to.

And give me a shout when you need another one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Ladder traps for grey crows during the breeding season do they catch grey crows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭JP22

Do they work during the grey crows breeding season though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Asus1

They work all year round if you look after your call birds but personally I've more success with round Larsen cage as I think birds feel more comfortable walking into compartments.Much more work though as you need to visit it every day and moving it once a week seems to increase catches,even just 10 yards.

Ladder trap can catch buzzards and other non designated birds as well so it's important to visit every day as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭JP22

Note.

Don't forget you can alter the spacing’s on a ladder trap depending on vermin species your trying to control.

Google is your friend here, lots of info available on UK sites re same.

Can Grey Crows be caught during the breeding season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Yes, but i think larsens are a better job during the breeding season and nesting season. Their territorial instincts get reiled up during this time, and they gwt caught easier. Diwn side, us that you need to move the trap around every few days.

Advertisement