Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling (Liam Mccarthy Cup) 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Charlie69 wrote: »
    …. only some of them though :D.... I'm actually agreeing with you.. nonsense to say Tipp can't beat Kilkenny.

Ha yes I like some facts, yeah was basically just replying to some poster saying tipp can't beat Kilkenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

One thing mentioned earlier was limericks lack of a stand out player I think Gillane or a less extent Sean Finn are the elite of that team and would start on any team. Others like Hannon mulcahy etc who both reverted to previous years form today showed they are not as top class when the pressure is at its greatest. Shane Dowling who always gives it his all would been suited to start today likes of hegarty and Tom morrissey seemed to get frustrated early on

Cian Lynch did nothing to suggest he is the current Hurler of the year despite being hailed as the most influential player on his team and able to influence any game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I thought Dowling's goal today was brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

One of the very best goals I have ever seen.

A top class goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tobothehobo

kala85 wrote: »

One of the very best goals I have ever seen.

A top class goal.
    100,% but should have been fouled before he scored. I know it's not a sporting way to play but it's what the Kilkenny boys should have done. Take the card and stop the goal. But he is class should have been on earlier in my opinion. He could have made the difference. And for transparency im from Kilkenny.

• Advertisement

100,% but should have been fouled before he scored. I know it's not a sporting way to play but it's what the Kilkenny boys should have done. Take the card and stop the goal. But he is class should have been on earlier in my opinion. He could have made the difference. And for transparency im from Kilkenny.
    I think he got the shot off before he was able to be fouled.

Also he is a big man and very hard to drag down.

What about the 65?? I thought it would be hard for the linesman and umpires to pick up.

I think he got the shot off before he was able to be fouled.

Also he is a big man and very hard to drag down.

What about the 65?? I thought it would be hard for the linesman and umpires to pick up.
    To be fair your probably right his physically is unbelievable. As for the 65 I was on that corner today and I didn't see the deflection nor did any of the limerick fans around me it wasn't until I got home I found out about it. I think it would have been very difficult for the umpires to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Have a look at the goal again.
    Lynch handpasses it to Hayes in space who then handpasses it to Dowling. Dowling takes the shot before a KK player has a chance to tackle/foul him. Brilliant from Dowling.

https://twitter.com/TheSundayGame/status/1155183136818339841

To be fair your probably right his physically is unbelievable. As for the 65 I was on that corner today and I didn't see the deflection nor did any of the limerick fans around me it wasn't until I got home I found out about it. I think it would have been very difficult for the umpires to see.

Should the linesman have seen it.

Very difficult to make that call in such a big game and to make it in real time.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

Dowling is a big horse of a hurler, with all the skills... but you can't get 70 minutes out of him. He is not designed for the long game - I'm not being disrespectful to the lad, but he looks to have the same diet regime as Shane Lowry. He did all that was asked.

Great game, and (in my opinion) was won on the sidelines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Very difficult to make that call in such a big game and to make it in real time.

just remember this whole argument came from donal og talking ****e at the end of the match ,

if it was a 65 fine , but no genuine limerick supporter would argue they were robbed because of a 65 , nothing to do with the new found pressure of all ireland favorites and current champions ,15 wides , key players not performing on the day, beaten by a slightly better side ect...

thats hurling end of story , not donal ogs nonsense

It would back the argument for a video match official like rugby but being a game played at a pace far in excess of rugby would it ruin the sport? Being honest and trying to be as impartial as possible the better team did win on the day. It says slot for that limerick team though that Kilkenny played out of their skins but still only won by a point. I think overall the match officials were good today if you go play by play both teams had a few decisions that didn't go their way but overall I think they were good.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

leestone wrote: »
    One thing mentioned earlier was limericks lack of a stand out player I think Gillane or a less extent Sean Finn are the elite of that team and would start on any team. Others like Hannon mulcahy etc who both reverted to previous years form today showed they are not as top class when the pressure is at its greatest. Shane Dowling who always gives it his all would been suited to start today likes of hegarty and Tom morrissey seemed to get frustrated early on

Cian Lynch did nothing to suggest he is the current Hurler of the year despite being hailed as the most influential player on his team and able to influence any game.

In fairness, funny you mention Hannon and Mulcahy, but in the first half Mulcahy was the only Limerick forward that was making anything happen for them. He was outstanding. The Limerick half-back line looked all at sea after Hannon went off too.

I think it's very harsh to criticise the pair of them. Mulcahy in particular.

I'm a Kilkenny man btw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

chinguetti wrote: »
    Was at the game tonight, best team won. The start by KK was something else, they would have beaten any team off the park for those first 20 minutes. It was amazing to watch their workrate. Limerick just had some awful wides and too much over playing the ball at times.

Delighted KK won (I'm from the Deise) as the ref was a pure disgrace. He was referring both teams totally differently and isn't up to the standard required.

when you have a situation where you have 1000 rules in the game and leave it up to the referees interpretation this is what happens

we need to limit the amount of times a foul is called in a game , and remove the referee interpretation , if its a foul fine if its not well then no foul

too many rules in the game means its impossible to ref a game nowadays

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Mulcahy worked hard today but in the wrong part of the pitch, not his fault really they were being overrun in the middle.

Lynch was missing for the first 20 minutes as Limerick couldn't get the ball moving. He was another forced to far back in an area he has little influence. The same can be said for Hayes.

I think limericks previous comebacks led the management to keep it as it was for to long. But in my opinion changes should of been made earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Grats

just remember this whole argument came from donal og talking ****e at the end of the match ,

if it was a 65 fine , but no genuine limerick supporter would argue they were robbed because of a 65 , nothing to do with the new found pressure of all ireland favorites and current champions ,15 wides , key players not performing on the day, beaten by a slightly better side ect...

thats hurling end of story , not donal ogs nonsense

Donal Og Cusack's dislike, to put it mildly, of Kilkenny is common knowledge. He can't get over 2006, bless him!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

It shows the standards of rte when they let a bloke that wrote a letter giving a paedophile a character reference a job other people distanced there selves from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Grats wrote: »
    Donal Og Cusack's dislike, to put it mildly, of Kilkenny is common knowledge. He can't get over 2006, bless him!!!!

He will never like the stepford wives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Joe Daly wrote: »
    It shows the standards of rte when they let a bloke that wrote a letter giving a paedophile a character reference a job other people distanced there selves from him.

How is the Gentleman hurler doing these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭C__MC

Something tells me kk would rather play tipp
    Since Davy took over wexford, he seems to have spooked cody and kilkenny and definitely has a number on them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭blackcard

leestone wrote: »

It was a strange game in that none of the midfielders from either side played much ball. I thought when Lynch got on the ball, he made good use of it. Just didn't get enough ball

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

chinguetti wrote: »
    Was at the game tonight, best team won. The start by KK was something else, they would have beaten any team off the park for those first 20 minutes. It was amazing to watch their workrate. Limerick just had some awful wides and too much over playing the ball at times.

Delighted KK won (I'm from the Deise) as the ref was a pure disgrace. He was referring both teams totally differently and isn't up to the standard required.

TBH if you're going criticize the ref for giving soft frees against kk you'd have to explain the amount arm dragging he let Kilkenny away with, and the amount of "handpasses" Limerick were let away with.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Grats wrote: »

The bitterness pours out of him from every pore. And he’s a rubbish monotonous commentator as well. No idea why rte have him on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,126 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Definitely agree that Limerick made a couple of strange calls from the line.

When Hannon went off at HT, they could have introduced Dowling at that juncture as well for one of the ineffective forwards. He would have made up for Hannon's absence in terms of decision making and experience.

This whole malarkey of bringing a 'super' sub in with fifteen minutes to go makes no sense when chasing a game. The earlier the better.

And actually, compare that to Cody, who had no qualms shipping off Leahy a minute before HT even with his team going well and winning. Complacency from Limerick I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭C__MC

Are kilkenny reffed much harder then anyone else?
    3 teams this year they have been officiated dreadfully IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Grats

Bambi wrote: »
    TBH if you're going criticize the ref for giving soft frees against kk you'd have to explain the amount arm dragging he let Kilkenny away with, and the amount of "handpasses" Limerick were let away with.

And Limerick didn't do arm dragging????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seadin

To be honest lads I didnt see how Limerick were seen as the best in 2019. They were beaten by Cork and Tipp already and beaten well by pretty average teams. They weren't up to it for a good part of yesterday's game either. They won their All Ireland and i think you wont see them at the top for a while now again like Galway. Delighted Galway and Limerick won their All Irelands 2017 and 2018. Kilkenny will go on to win All Ireland now and Cody will leave on a high.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Seadin wrote: »
    To be honest lads I didnt see how Limerick were seen as the best in 2019. They were beaten by Cork and Tipp already and beaten well by pretty average teams. They weren't up to it for a good part of yesterday's game either. They won their All Ireland and i think you wont see them at the top for a while now again like Galway. Delighted Galway and Limerick won their All Irelands 2017 and 2018. Kilkenny will go on to win All Ireland now and Cody will leave on a high.

The list of Liam McCarthy winners will say they were the best team in 2018,nothing else matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

C__MC wrote: »
    Are kilkenny reffed much harder then anyone else?
    3 teams this year they have been officiated dreadfully IMO

Have a look at where the ball was struck from,the position of the ref and the rules that the ref is suppose to enforce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Seadin wrote: »

Cody will leave on a high.

You wish. Why would he walk away? Whenever he's asked of the numbrr of semi finals or All Irelands he's won, he repestedly says he doesn't know how mamy he's won or lost. That should tell you he's looking back. He's looking to the future. He's retired. He's a hurling fanatic. He has no other interest in life.

Advertisement