Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

22lr rounds on the cheap, pal.

• 24-07-2019 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Now that the subject line has your attention, I should say that I am searching for (and have not found) reasonably priced ammo.

Currently, I am charged about 15 quid wherever I go per 100 rounds (CCI hollow sub sonic). I have said this to people down my local range who have gasped, stupefied by these prices and after recovering from their stupefaction suggested I could be getting same for 9 to 10 quid. Interestingly, I couldn't really get a definitive answer as to where I could buy ammunition for the aforementioned prices (probably because of residual stupefaction).

Until now, I had not considered that I could be getting a better price. Until now, I was happy plinking away @ 15c per round. Blissful ignorance, as the cliche goes. Now, though, I am incensed; I cannot sleep. I cannot eat. I cannot enjoy life itself knowing I could be paying under 15 cent per pop.

I digress; I do not want to split your sides more than I already have with my meandering and verbose hyperbole, so I will ask this:

Where I get dem cheap rounds? Preferably in Limerick, Tipp, Clare or Waterford but would travel beyond if necessary.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

https://outdoorsports.ie/products/federal22lrvaluepackhollowpoint

Buy two boxes and you get free delivery. It works out at 6.85c per bullet. Great if you're really penny pinching. Although I can't imagine them being very accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭JohnFitz2332

Buy two boxes and you get free delivery. It works out at 6.85c per bullet. Great if you're really penny pinching. Although I can't imagine them being very accurate.

Thanks Pigeon Man, but yeah I'll steer clear of Federal. Apparently you can get Cci cheaper than I'm paying. Could be bulk though...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

They are 36 gr High Velocity. I bought two boxes (not from Outdoor sports) and when they arrived they were HV. Still cheap shooting, but HVs don't run so well through my 22. They're ok at close enough range, but after distance "X" they start to open out and become unpredictable.
    Interestingly, I couldn't really get a definitive answer as to where I could buy ammunition for the aforementioned prices (probably because of residual stupefaction).
    More likely they cannot get them cheaper but have no problem trying to make you, whether intentionally or accidentally, feel like a stooge for paying the €15 for them.

Or, and this happens a lot, they buy a different type. For example other CCI 22lr can cost as little as €9/€10 per 100 but they're either HV, or some other variation that are not the standard 40gr subsonics.
    Where I get dem cheap rounds? Preferably in Limerick, Tipp, Clare or Waterford but would travel beyond if necessary.
    Patrick Carley in Wexford and Irish Shooting Sports in Kerry do them for €13 per 100 for the 40gr subsonic, but everyone else is €15 a box.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭JohnFitz2332

Cass wrote: »
    They are 36 gr High Velocity. I bought two boxes (not from Outdoor sports) and when they arrived they were HV. Still cheap shooting, but HVs don't run so well through my 22. They're ok at close enough range, but after distance "X" they start to open out and become unpredictable.

More likely they cannot get them cheaper but have no problem trying to make you, whether intentionally or accidentally, feel like a stooge for paying the €15 for them.

Or, and this happens a lot, they buy a different type. For example other CCI 22lr can cost as little as €9/€10 per 100 but they're either HV, or some other variation that are not the standard 40gr subsonics.

Patrick Carley in Wexford and Irish Shooting Sports in Kerry do them for €13 per 100 for the 40gr subsonic, but everyone else is €15 a box.

Thanks Cass, that's great info. I had a suspicion they had been talking about CCI standards alright. Good to know that I'm paying around what I should be for the hollow point subs

Have you thought about something else? CCI also do the standard velocity, sub sonic, 22lrs. Places like Cill Dara hunting do them for €85 per 1000. Thats under 5p per shot.

They're not HP, but other than that they seem the exact same as the CCI Mini MAG/HP.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Would love to better understand the different .22 variants of CCI on Ireland market and the suitability of same for rifle/pistol and general prices.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Asus1

I would imagine they are talking about cci standard velocity.I plink with them and hunt with cci subsonics.The great thing is they both have near enough the same zero out to 70y,with the subsonic dropping a little at that distance.They are a great round and never fail to feed in the 10/22.As cass linked above i get mine in cill dara hunting but most places seem to do them for 500-€50.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭clivej

I could never see the point of using HP 22 rounds. If your backstop is safe AS It Must BE always, then use any of the standard rounds.
    The auld rabbit won't know any difference!
    CCI target/standard are about 5 Euro a box, MiniMags 12 Euro /100
    with discounts on bulk buying

Don't claim to know every difference but there are :
    • HV - High velocity
    • Standard Velocity - Speaks for itself
    • SEgmented - Designed to "open" or fragment on impact
    • HP - Hollow Point
    • Shorts - Shorted case, less propellant,

Then there are difference in the propellants used which make them more suitable for semi auto rifles, pistols, etc.

@ Clivej - Same here. I use the same round for plinking, and hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭J.R.

Standard CCI 500 rounds for €45

http://cilldarahunting.com/shop/ammunition/cci-standard-22-500/

or

Standard CCI 1,000 rounds for €80........that's 8c a shot

http://cilldarahunting.com/shop/ammunition/cci-standard-22-1000/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

Ger Kelly In Tuam, Outdoor Ranger. 12.50 for 100 CCI subs
    Also a sound lad to deal with

Advertisement