Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spiral out - keep going

Options
  • 25-07-2019 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭

I decided to start this log whilst I'm near the start of training for DCM19, my first proper marathon attempt.

Background
    Whilst I've always been sporty and active in my life, the past number of years saw a decline in how active I was - because of advancing years and constant injuries. So I went from playing 11aside soccer 3 times a week to 5 a side astro once a week. Even then, the impact injuries on ankles & feet caused me to rethink my strategy. I've always been a slim person but noticed I was packing on unwanted pounds. Things had to change and its was either cycling or running. Cycling on our roads is too dangerous in my head so running it was and I fully committed. My wife is a brilliant runner who has run numerous marathons so I had a ready made coach

I started running properly in Sept 18 - running too fast and not often enough but it was a start. Started building up my weekly mileage going from 2 to 3 runs a week, going to 20 miles a week. By Jan2019 I was up to 25 miles a week. I was finding the tempo/interval/speedwork all fairly easy, due to my soccer background but my endurance was terrible. Longer runs were tough.

Then the then biggest moment in my running career, my wife couldn't run the Dungarvan 10 so we transferred her entry over to me (legitimately!). My first race - I was so nervous. I travelled down by myself, felt so nervous being surrounded by these serious runners. I did, however, achieve my target of sub 80 and get 78.24. I was delighted and probably hooked. Decided to run Cork Half and DCM full and set about picking a training plan.

For Cork Half, I followed a P&D faster road running plan which peaked at 30 miles a week which introduced me to progression longer runs (which I love!). Set myself a target of 1.40 for the race and despite struggling at the end, finished in 1.39.17.

My PBs are as follows:

5k -- 20.51 -- June -- GT 5k Cork
    10m -- 74.31 -- March -- Mallow10
    Half -- 1.39.17 -- June -- Cork Half
    25k -- 2.05.17 -- April -- The Great Railway Run

I am a member of the Novices thread but I'm following a more advanced training plan (P&D Advanced plan that peaks at 57miles). Some will say that I'm crazy to follow such an advanced plan but for me its the natural progression to the half plan I followed. The paces are similar than the half plan but its giving me the extra miles I need. I'm 6 weeks in and it's going great

So my dream target for DCM is 3.30 but I realise that it being my first marathon that I may not have the endurance for that. I'd be happy if I go under 3.40 but we'll see how training goes. I'll try to be honest in this log and welcome all feedback - except negative :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Welcome to the logs. I had to laugh at your "advancing years" comment...you're only a baby! ;) I started following you on Strava today and must say I like how you are keeping easy as it should be...not that I'd do it barefoot! Best of luck with the log and DCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Welcome to logs and best of luck with the training. We finished within seconds of each other in Dungarvan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Welcome to logs and best of luck with the training. We finished within seconds of each other in Dungarvan.

So you're going for 3:30 too! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

skyblue46 wrote: »
    So you're going for 3:30 too! :eek:

I am in my hoop. Maybe next year, or the year after.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Training progress so far:

GA pace - 9.18min/mile
    Recovery - 10min/mile
    MP - 7.45min/mile (I am training this pace to give me a buffer for finishing under 3.30)
    LT - 7.15min/mile
    V02 - 6.45min/mile
    MLR - Progress from 9.18 (MP+20%), 8.56 (MP+15%), 8.32 (MP+10%)

DCM TRAINING - WEEK 1

Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    P&D|GA10M|Rest|8m w 4m LT|Rest|Recovery 6m|Rest|MLR 12m
    Pace|9.16avg|-|GT 5k race (20.50)|-|9.56avg|-|8.46avg

DCM TRAINING - WEEK 2

P&D|Rest|GA 8m|Rest|GA 10m|Recovery 5m|Rest|MPR 13m 8m @MP
    Pace|-|9.04avg|-|9.17avg|9.51avg|-|MP miles 7.49,.45,.51,.44,.48,.44,.39,.21

DCM TRAINING - WEEK 3

P&D|Rest|GA 10m|Recovery 4m|7m LT 4m|Recovery 5m|MLR 14m|Rest
    Pace|-|9.18avg|9.57avg|LT miles - 7.19,.23,.35,.27|9.54avg|8.53avg|-

DCM TRAINING - WEEK 4

P&D|GA 9m|Recovery 5m 10x100|GA 10m|-|MLR 15m|Hols|Hols
    Pace|9.09avg|9.56avg|9.12avg|-|9.01avg|-|-

• Advertisement

2 weeks in France on holidays meant I split one weeks training plan over the 2 weeks and added some extra "easy" hilly miles

DCM TRAINING - WEEK 5a

P&D|GA 5m|Rest|10m 5m LT|Recovery 5m|Rest|GA 3m|MLR 16m
    Pace|9.23avg|-|8.41avg|9.53avg|-|9.21avg|9.03avg

DCM TRAINING - WEEK 5b

P&D|Rest|Recovery 6m|10m GA|Recovery 6m|Home|Home|MPR 16m 10m MP
    Pace|-|9.43avg|9.12avg|10.09avg|-|-| MP miles - 7.53,.45,.51,.44,.54,.50,.40,.41,.47,.33

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Fusitive

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Welcome to the logs. I had to laugh at your "advancing years" comment...you're only a baby! ;) I started following you on Strava today and must say I like how you are keeping easy as it should be...not that I'd do it barefoot! Best of luck with the log and DCM.

Barefoot is the way forward!! Strong and flexible feet, mobile ankles, less injuries and there's something satisfying in the way it feels and the power it generates. I remember back in my old juvenile running days, any training or races we done was all barefoot on grass.

Best of luck with the log and the training Treviso. Good progress so far and a lot more potential there I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Fusitive wrote:
    Barefoot is the way forward!! Strong and flexible feet, mobile ankles, less injuries and there's something satisfying in the way it feels and the power it generates. I remember back in my old juvenile running days, any training or races we done was all barefoot on grass.

Really?!? I admit that I thought he was stone mad when I saw it on Strava :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Fusitive

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Really?!? I admit that I thought he was stone mad when I saw it on Strava :)

Yep, you'll still see it to this day if you ever go to juvenile XC or the community games. I wouldn't do it on the road but one of my favourite things is running on grass barefoot, even all my cooldowns after XC races are done barefoot.

My OH went to a talk in CIT by Dr Peter Francis who recommended doing some barefoot running to help strengthen your foot muscles. He said it helped him in his running days when he suffered from plantar fasciitis. I don't have that condition but have minor orthotic insoles while running that I want to stop using. Its only a few miles a week but I can feel the benefit already

Can remember way back in my primary school days for the 100m City Sports in Pairc Ui Chaoimh where everyone ran in their bare feet!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Best of luck with it all.

As you know, 3:30 marathon is 8:00/mile. One thing I’d strongly suggest is to lose this 7:45/m MP approach - the ‘buffer’ you are describing is far more likely to become a blow up, and a painful experience in the second half of the race. This is even more likely given it’s your debut.

7:45 is closer to your HM pace than your M pace. This is a mistake you’d be better off correcting sooner rather than later.

All the best with it.

Thanks Murph_D

The 7.45 is just the training pace I'm training to in the plan, I plan on sticking to 8min/mile for the race if I decide to go for 3.30

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Treviso wrote: »
    Thanks Murph_D

The 7.45 is just the training pace I'm training to in the plan, I plan on sticking to 8min/mile for the race if I decide to go for 3.30

I understand that. However it’s not the correct M training pace for you. You’ll likely end up training too hard, overtaxed from your MP workouts (15s per mile is a big difference) and underdeveloped in the endurance department as a result, and possibly more likely to get injured. You’re taking a risk - it might work out, but more likely it won’t.

80 euro spent on 2 boxes of maurten gels which arrived today. Plus spent 126 euro on another pair of Brooks Adrenaline GTS19 too!

I've had to give up drinking to fund my running habit. Soon I'll be selling any valuables in the house to buy some extra running gear

A stepback week for me this week. After 2 weeks running in the hills and heat of France, I reckon my legs could do with it. Mentally, however, I couldn't help but feel meh about the week's training. Maybe it was a case of the post holidays blues too :(

DCM Training Week 6

Monday 22nd
    Rest

Tuesday 23rd - 8 miles at 9.11min/mile avg 10x100m
    Boy how did I miss running on grass! Went out to my usual running place, UCC Farm, to do this run. Noticed that they're hard at work building foundations for a new dental hospital out there. Not good news. New wireless headphones were a disaster - going to back to my previous brand (which I broke when I left them on top of my car after a LT run!!). GA miles were fine, legs were a bit tired after the weekend's MPR. Strides were great - tried to improve my form and could feel it working straight away. Hard not to go into my old soccer ways and do a full sprint for them.

Wednesday 24th - 5 miles at 10.01avg
    UCC Farm run again. HR was higher than usual as it was very humid. Ran last mile in barefeet. I've built this up gently from the start of the plan - from a quarter mile to a mile.

Thursday 25th - 8 miles at 9.15avg
    Farm again. Tested out a new pair of Brooks Adrenaline GTS19. Went a half size smaller and they fit really well.

Friday 26th
    Rest

Saturday 27th - 4 miles at 9.51avg
    Guess where, the farm. Legs really wanted to go faster for this run but managed to restrain myself somehow. Soccer match was just starting as I was running around - kept thinking how I would love to play. Those days are gone!

Sunday 28th - 12 miles at 8.53avg
    Ran towards Passage and back, and then around the Mahon loop. Lovely day for a run. In my head it was "only" 12 miles so it had to be easy right! First 4 miles done at MP+20%, next 4 at +15% and last 4 at +10%. Hit all the paces easily, tried to keep myself back for Tuesday's LT run.

Weekly miles - 38.7
    Miles so far this year - 840

So onwards onto to week 7 plan. I might be pining for my stepback week after this one :eek:

DCM TRAINING - WEEK 7

Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday|Total
    P&D|Rest|10m - 5m@LT|Recovery 4m|MLR 11m|Rest|7m GA 8x100m|Long run 18m|50m

Tuesday 30th - 10 miles - 5 @ LT

Had been feeling apprehensive about this run since the weekend but turned out to be a successful run. I carefully planned my 5 LT miles so 2 were against the wind and 3 were with it. Turned out to be one of those days were the wind seemed to be against me no matter what direction I went! Started off with 3 miles warmup and then switched my music to 180bpm extreme metal and off I went.

LT miles were 7.22, 7.11, 7.13, 7.09 & 7.11 so were on target. Felt the pace on the 4th mile but it was because I was going too fast - slowed it down and felt ok again. Had the legs for another LT mile so that bodes well for next weeks 6m LT.

First fast training session where my legs haven't felt heavy half way through it, seems that my endurance has improved somewhat. Feel great after the run, legs still feel fresh. Kudos from Skyblue on Strava - what more could you ask for!

DCM Training Week 7 continued

Wednesday 31st - Recovery 4m at 9.49avg
    Glad of the recovery run after the previous day's LT run. Ran in UCC Farm on grass. Last mile in bare feet - I do feel this is benefitting me in so many ways

Thursday 1st - MLR 11m at 8.50avg
    First midweek MLR run and it felt strange running it on a weekday. 3 miles at MP+20%, 4 at MP+15% and 4 at MP+10%. Felt very strong for the whole thing. Tested out a new marathon belt as well - forgot I was wearing it half way round.

Friday 2nd - Rest
    Was tempted to run Saturday's run today but knew that run was on that day for a reason.

Saturday 3rd - 7m GA with 8x100m
    The plan now starts to put some decent miles the day before my weekend long run, so I run the long run on more tired legs. Got soaked which wasn't a pleasant thing. Strides were fine. Did 6 miles on grass, strides and then 1 mile on bare feet.

Sunday 4th - 18m MLR
    Yesterday's run had me feeling worried that my legs would feel lethargic earlier than normal. Was expecting rain but manage to avoid it. Had a route planned out where I would loop past the car twice - so I could gather a small bottle of water.

I had a Maurten gel at mile 5 and 11. I can't recommend these enough, don't need to have water with them and don't upset my stomach. Pricey enough. Fit perfectly into the new marathon belt. Need to trim the edges as they were sticking into me at times

Plan was to do 6 miles at MP+20%, 6 at MP+15% and 6 at MP+10%. I felt so strong at the end that I did the last 2 at MP for a confidence boost - in hindsight it probably wasn't the best idea. No real benefit in doing it. Delighted, though, with how that run went - longest ever!

Overall, a good week with my longest ever run and my highest ever weekly mileage.

Weekly mileage - 50
    Miles so far this year - 890

Week 8 has a similar theme to it to this week except the LT run is only 2 days before a 20 mile MLR - more unknown territory.

DCM TRAINING - WEEK 8

P&D|Rest|Recovery 7m 6x100m|MLR 12m|Rest|10m 6m@LT|Recovery 5m|Long run 20m|54m

DCM Training Week 8

Another week down and another with my longest run and weekly mileage

Tuesday 6th - 7m Recovery 6x100m, 9.38avg
    UCC Farm. This run was more of a struggle than I anticipated. Went orienteering the previous day with the OH & kids so it added a fair few miles to the 18 I ran on Sunday. Strides were probably too fast given how tender the legs were. Ran last mile in bare feet.

Wednesday 7th - 12m MLR, 8.49avg
    I've been trying to run every so often without orthotic foam insoles in my running shoes - this was the first run that I felt a bit of pain in my left foot but wasn't too bad. Started to think it may not be a good idea to stop using them, more to come on that. Run was fine, hit all target paces with no trouble.

Friday 9th - 10 miles with 6@ LT pace, 8.02avg
    Tough run on paper and it turned out that way too. LT miles were 7.17, .19, .15, .16, .16, .07 which were on target. I've never run a 10k race before, with my 10K PB coming from Duhallow 10 mile in March - which was mainly downhill with the wind. So the OCD in me kept the LT pace going for another .2mile and hit a 10k PB of 45.04. Need to run a proper 10k soon

Saturday 10th - 5 miles, 9.48avg
    UCC Farm, fairly boring routine run

Sunday 11th - 20 mile MLR, 8.49avg
    The big one. Again was nervous for this one, longest ever run and with a LT run just 2 days previous. My legs felt creaky in the morning. Breakfast of jam & toast and a banana on the drive down. Decided not to wear insoles in shoes.

Planned the route that I would pass the car twice to collect water & change shoes if needed. First 6 miles at MP+20% went ok, increased pace to MP+15% for next 7 miles and legs started to feel it. At mile 12 my left foot started to really hurt, decided to change shoes when I reached the car at mile 14. Changed from Adrenalines to Ravennas (with insoles), some difference in the support cushion, Ravenna felt like they didn't have any sole whatsoever!!

Last 7 miles at MP+10% and things improved a bit, my body probably felt it was the home stretch and I was homeward bound (even though I was running away from the car again). Was hitting the paces ok and decided to do the last mile at MP to give myself a confidence boost. Had 3 Maurten gels at 5, 10 and 15 miles - no side effects. The fact I can take gels without worrying about water is such a relief.

Another good week, sometimes it doesn't even register that I've run this much in a week. I'm trying to focus on 1-2 runs at a time. I feel like I've made really big improvements in my running since I started this plan.

Going to keep running with insoles in shoes - big risk trying to change this before the marathon. Might try again after the race.

Weekly mileage 55 miles
    Year to date Strava is saying 940

Next week is some easy running, midweek "only" 14m MLR, and then the dreaded MPR run, 16 miles with 12 at MP :eek::eek::eek:

DCM TRAINING - WEEK 9

P&D|Rest|Recovery 6m|MLR 14m|Recovery 6m|Rest|Recovery 6m|16m MPR 12m@MP|48m

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

That was an impressive long run, but I have to agree with what was posted above. I saw in the comments on the long run that you're using a faster MP for your training runs than you think you'll set out at in October. I think there is high risk of you leaving your marathon in training if you continue this? Looking at your PBs, 3.30 seems a possible target alright but heading out at faster than that in the upcoming PMP runs could ruin that target.
    I don't like raining on the parade or the buzz you likely have after the week's running, but I just don't want to see anyone do things to jeopardize their first marathon!

If you need anymore convincing, Huzzah! reminded me of a training log on here where an experienced runner ran a lot of MP miles faster than their then-current level of fitness suggested, and it didn't end well.. link here and I hope the runner in question doesn't mind!

DCM TRAINING - WEEK 9

Another week down and half way through the marathon plan. This week had a number of recovery runs, a 14m midweek MLR and a 16m MPR

Tuesday 13th - 5m Recovery, 9.45avg
    Ran on grass. For some reason I misread the plan and did 5 miles instead of 6. Ran the last mile barefoot

Wednesday 14th - 14m MLR, 8.52avg
    Longest midweek run to date and I think I underestimated it. Tougher than expected but hit the paces required, 4m @MP+20%;, 5m @MP+15% and 5m @MP+10%. Overall happy with the run

Thursday 15th - 7m Recovery, 9.49avg
    Added an extra mile to make up for Tuesday's missed mile. Last mile barefoot

Saturday 17th - 6m recovery, 6x100m, 9.36avg
    Ran 5 miles, then strides and final mile barefoot. I'm making progress with the strides, improving my form to go faster with the same effort.

Sunday 18th - 16m MPR w 12@MP, 8.01avg
    Was waiting all week for this one but strangely felt quite confident about it. Picked the route and the MP miles would go out and back a flat 3 mile course twice. 2 miles warmup and cool down

First 3 MP miles were into the wind but felt great for them, took 1st gel on the turn - 7.47, 7.54, 7.43.

Next 3 with the wind, grabbed a bottle of water off my car as I passed it. Used half it and placed it on a bench to collect on the way back - 7.50, 7.37, 7.47.

Next 3 against the wind, was feeling good and probably put extra effort into these 3. Took 2nd gel and got to the bench to find someone had drank the rest of my water (who would do that!!), had to carry the empty bottle back to the car cursing the person who did it - 7.42, 7.49, 7.32.

Last 3 with the wind and was too fast. I was feeling good though so subconsciously kept the same effort as the previous 3 miles. There was quite a lot of runners on the narrow path so had to do a lot of weaving around them. When overtaking other runners, you can't help but to speed up I find - 7.35, 7.26, 7.22

Feel great after the run, legs tired but its a good tired feeling. Its the last MPR of the plan as I'm substituting the 14m@MP with the Charleville Half marathon.

Weekly mileage - 49 miles
    Year to date - 989 miles

Stepback week next week, but with the first VO2 max session. Have a couple of races coming up in September which will give me a chance to improve current PBs and gauge current fitness. It definitely has improved dramatically since I started this plan

DCM TRAINING - WEEK 10

P&D|Rest|8m GA|8m VO2 Max, 5x800m(2min recovery)|Recovery 5m|Rest|8m GA, 8x100m|14m MLR|43m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I saw your run on Strava and wondered why you ran back and forward on that path rather than continuing round the Blackrock loop. The wind was strong today heading in towards Rochestown.

Yea it does seem bizarre alright but there are a numbers of reasons really

- That 3 mile path is really flat and in general is sheltered from the wind
    - The Blackrock loop has a number of elevations and in certain points, tree cover can distort the pace you're going at.
    - I do find the path by the coast is really exposed to the elements so the wind was probably worse there this morning
    - I like to loop past the car to get some water

I would only do these repetition runs for MP or LT runs where pacing needs to be accurate. Will probable use the same place for my VO2 sessions too

Yea it does seem bizarre alright but there are a numbers of reasons really

- That 3 mile path is really flat and in general is sheltered from the wind
    - The Blackrock loop has a number of elevations and in certain points, tree cover can distort the pace you're going at.
    - I do find the path by the coast is really exposed to the elements so the wind was probably worse there this morning
    - I like to loop past the car to get some water

I would only do these repetition runs for MP or LT runs where pacing needs to be accurate. Will probable use the same place for my VO2 sessions too

Good to know it’s sheltered - I deliberately didn’t go near it today as assumed with the wind direction that it would be very exposed. Agree with the gps issues. I noticed it on the marina and on the line quite a bit today. Yep, by Jacobs Island as far as the bridge had very strong winds. I might venture towards passage more so in future.

DCM Training - Week 10

Step back week of 43 miles with first VO2 Max session

Tuesday 20th - 8m GA, 9.14 avg
    Was expecting a recovery run so soon after the MPR but 8m GA it was. Ran this on grass. Legs were creaky at the start but soon loosened out. Did 4 loops of the fields and can't remember much about it. Near the end of the run, a few elite runners, including an Olympian, started their easy runs there too. When I say easy, it was more my LT pace I reckon! They make it look so effortless. Spoke to a regular runner in the UCC farm afterwards for the first time, he ran in the first DCM - sound bloke.

Wednesday 21st - 8m VO2Max 5x800m, 2min recovery jog
    I brought out my secret weapon for the DCM - Vapourfly 4% - for the first time. It was to ensure that they fitted ok & had no ill effects before I start using them for races. My OH bought them for my birthday in June, at the time I felt a bit meh about them.

I did 3 miles warmup in my Brooks Adrenalines and my legs felt dead for the whole 3 miles. No number of knee lifts, legs kicks or strides could wake them up. I felt it was going to be a disaster of a session as I got to the car to change shoes. The minute I put on the Vapourflys all that changed. Now I know why everyone wears them for races. I felt like I was running on springs. Definite game changer

Started off for the VO2 reps, I didn't know what pace to aim for as it's been a while since I done one of these sessions and I've improve a lot since then. I decided I would aim for 6.20min/mile to see if a sub 20 5k is on the cards. My 5 reps average paces were 6.07, 6.17, 6.07, 6.11 and 6.01 - was delighted with them.

i didn't feel that uncomfortable during the reps, legs didn't feel heavy like they used to do. These sessions suit me as they're exactly the type of training I used to do for soccer and I reckon I have more fast twitch muscles than slow. The question is if I could keep that up for 5k straight.

I have an upcoming 5k race in two weeks as part of the training plan so I might attempt sub 20, see how it goes. It would be a full 45 seconds off my PB since June but I do believe I've improved that much since then

Amazing the difference the Vapourfly made. Will you just keep them for races to make them last or use them for sessions too?

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Amazing the difference the Vapourfly made. Will you just keep them for races to make them last or use them for sessions too?

They'll just be used for races from now onwards, today was just breaking them in I suppose

DCM Training - Week 10 continued

Thursday 22nd - 5m recovery, 9.40avg
    Felt ok the day before immediately after the VO2 session but today the legs felt a bit stiff. Was glad of the recovery run. Ran at the UCC farm on grass, with the last barefoot

Saturday 24th - 8m GA, 8x100m, 9.06avg
    Ran on grass again. Saw all the race results from the FD10 come through on Strava and was jealous of everyone that ran in it. No motivation for this run because of it. Weather was extremely humid. There was some tag rugby training going on at the same time, Cork trials I think. Brought me back to glory days of playing it. Was wondering how long I could join in for before I got injured trying to sprint! Strides were a bit leggy but was happy with them.

Sunday 25th - 14m MLR, 8.47avg
    Always the way that I underestimate this type of run on stepback week. On reflection, the 8miles & strides yesterday meant I started this run with legs more tired than normal.

Found a car key on the pathway during the second mile so spent the next 2 miles asking other people if they lost it. Couldn't find the owner unfortunately. Could only imagine that person getting to their car after a run or cycle to find they had no car key! Hopefully they weren't out on their own.

At the 10 mile mark, my legs were struggling a bit but found it handy to keep the paces. For the last 2 miles, felt like I needed a toilet break so it slowed my pace down. First time having that experience in a run

Hit the 1000 mile mark during the week, didn't even realise it until Friday. Big milestone for me and thankful that I've reached that stage without any sign of injury (yet!)

Weekly mileage - 44.5
    Year to date - 1034

So next week according to OH is the toughest overall week on the plan. Highest mileage of the plan too so hopefully the step back week will have me raring to go for my 7m LT run :eek::eek:

DCM TRAINING - WEEK 11

P&D|Rest|7m Recovery, 6x100m|11m w 7m@LT|Rest|12m MLR|5m Recovery|20m MLR|55m

• Registered Users Posts: 32 fatboyfin

DCM Training - Week 10 continued

Thursday 22nd - 5m recovery, 9.40avg
    Felt ok the day before immediately after the VO2 session but today the legs felt a bit stiff. Was glad of the recovery run. Ran at the UCC farm on grass, with the last barefoot

Saturday 24th - 8m GA, 8x100m, 9.06avg
    Ran on grass again. Saw all the race results from the FD10 come through on Strava and was jealous of everyone that ran in it. No motivation for this run because of it. Weather was extremely humid. There was some tag rugby training going on at the same time, Cork trials I think. Brought me back to glory days of playing it. Was wondering how long I could join in for before I got injured trying to sprint! Strides were a bit leggy but was happy with them.

Sunday 25th - 14m MLR, 8.47avg
    Always the way that I underestimate this type of run on stepback week. On reflection, the 8miles & strides yesterday meant I started this run with legs more tired than normal.

Found a car key on the pathway during the second mile so spent the next 2 miles asking other people if they lost it. Couldn't find the owner unfortunately. Could only imagine that person getting to their car after a run or cycle to find they had no car key! Hopefully they weren't out on their own.

At the 10 mile mark, my legs were struggling a bit but found it handy to keep the paces. For the last 2 miles, felt like I needed a toilet break so it slowed my pace down. First time having that experience in a run

Hit the 1000 mile mark during the week, didn't even realise it until Friday. Big milestone for me and thankful that I've reached that stage without any sign of injury (yet!)

Weekly mileage - 44.5
    Year to date - 1034

So next week according to OH is the toughest overall week on the plan. Highest mileage of the plan too so hopefully the step back week will have me raring to go for my 7m LT run :eek::eek:

DCM TRAINING - WEEK 11

P&D|Rest|7m Recovery, 6x100m|11m w 7m@LT|Rest|12m MLR|5m Recovery|20m MLR|55m

Good luck for the week ahead - that looks brutal!

fatboyfin wrote: »
    Good luck for the week ahead - that looks brutal!

Cheers B. Yep it does look brutal but I'll take it one run at a time and try to survive

• Advertisement

DCM TRAINING - WEEK 11

Tuesday 27th - 7m recovery, 6x100m - 9.32avg
    After stepback week, my legs felt more tired than a normal training week but this recovery run definitely loosened them up completely. Ran the 6 miles in UCC farm, then the strides and the last mile barefoot. Was raining for most of the run and running barefoot was such a relief on the wet soft grass.

Wednesday 28th - 11m with 7@LT pace - 8.04avg
    Last LT pace run on the plan thankfully. Decided to do 3 miles warmup, 7 LT miles and 1 mile cool down. It was a really hot humid morning with a bit of a breeze. From reading all the FD10 reports over the weekend, I decided it best to dial the paces back a bit starting off.

Started the first 3 LT miles with the wind. Amazing after doing the V02 session, the LT pace seemed slow at the start!! That didn't last long. Was monitoring my HR a lot for these miles, knowing that my previous LT runs were normally in the 170s. I don't normally look at HR but it really helped today. 7.24, 7.24, 7.27

Next 3 miles were against the wind. Decided to up the HR to the mid to high 170s and put more effort in to compensate. Was really feeling the pace so decided to turn back with the wind at 2.5 miles to get an extra half mile with it (is that cheating?)
    7.17, 7.14, 7.23

Last mile I only had 1 pace, couldn't go slower and couldn't go faster or else I would've stopped. 7.05

Overall happy with the run and how I sensibly started off slower and relied on HR a bit more. My HR seems to be a lot higher than most running but I think I can see trends now in terms of effort.

Turning my thoughts to upcoming races, 5k next week and Charleville HM mid Sept, I'm finding it difficult to decide target times for each one. Outside of weather factors, not sure whether to be optimistic or cautious with them.

Advertisement