Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Ireland news thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Partnership is 43 already

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Strumms wrote: »
    Irish bowlers looking tired, England 8 down but being aggressive and taking advantage of some inaccurate bowling. Ireland if they are going to do this need to finish this ASAP. As I’m typing a loose half volley on leg stump swatted away for four.

What is it with Irish sport, doing the hard work, just about getting there, giving yourself a great chance but just not putting the foot down on the opposition throats when needed.
    Not sure whether you're supporting them or not. If you are it's a two by 4 to the back of the head!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭blackcard

Have to be bowling to Broas, give Curran a single

Partnership is 43 already
    Well partnership is a bit of an exaggeration!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭blackcard

blackcard wrote: »
    Have to be bowling to Broad, give Curran a single
    What do I know, wicket

• Advertisement

That's a key one.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Please don't rain. Please don't rain.

Could we really beat them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

293 for 9. England lead by 171.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

9th wicket down. I think today will not far behind yesterday in terms of all-round performance by Ireland (assuming no batting collapse ensues!). They have battled difficult conditions and come back in the afternoon and evening sessions

And now a DRS decision in favour of England, so they are still batting .... just!

Assuming the last wicket doesn't cost too much it's a reasonable target with two days to get it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Please don't rain. Please don't rain.

Could we really beat them?

Whatever about beating them we have a chance, in our 3rd ever test we are in with a real chance of winning, being competitive at this stage is absolutely amazing

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I'm not use to cricket - i'm not sure just how physically rigorous it is as a sport but I would consider that a really bad temperature for soccer, rugby, cycling etc...
    The 5 day game (or in this case 4 day) is at a much more "relaxed" pace then T20s or ODIs. However being stuck out in the field all day, bowling perhaps 15-20 overs and chasing down the ball in the field is going to take it's toll.

There was the famous occasion when Chris Lewis, who was born in Guyana, but played for England, got sunstroke in the Caribbean during a game, but nowadays they are much more conscious of keeping hydrated and their heads covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,873 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Clareman wrote: »
    Whatever about beating them we have a chance, in our 3rd ever test we are in with a real chance of winning, being competitive at this stage is absolutely amazing

How long must we keep with the narrative of, ‘sure we are doing great’, ‘we have a bit of a chance’, ‘ it’s great to be competitive isn’t it’. Fûck it, go for it, let the performance match the expectations fueled by the demonstrated ability. We are only short of a few ‘oles’ to start up Q the camera panning to gurning Guinness fueled waves.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,385 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

https://twitter.com/Irelandcricket/status/1154439159211339776

Some sky... Does it suit Ireland to finish England's innings tomorrow morning and then have the clear 2 days to chase? Rather than start late today after long day in the field?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Great stuff, we’re in as good a position to win this match as we’ll ever be. Get this last wicket and guts of two days to knock off c200 hopefully. If we can’t do that, we won’t deserve to win.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Strumms wrote: »
    How long must we keep with the narrative of, ‘sure we are doing great’, ‘we have a bit of a chance’, ‘ it’s great to be competitive isn’t it’. Fûck it, go for it, let the performance match the expectations fueled by the demonstrated ability. We are only short of a few ‘oles’ to start up Q the camera panning to gurning Guinness fueled waves.
    A lot of the commentary is s bit patronising I've thought, even whwn good natured, but then it took Bangladesh years to be taken seriously and even now I'm sure a lot of people would still say 'only Bangladesh '

• Registered Users Posts: 24,873 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

dulpit wrote: »

Some sky... Does it suit Ireland to finish England's innings tomorrow morning and then have the clear 2 days to chase? Rather than start late today after long day in the field?

We are starting to look a bit tired in the field bowlers looking less threatening and a bit more wayward, run rate going up to. While we’d like to clean them up ASAP, it might be best to have a crack at them rested in the morning than concede another 30 tonight and have to get out into the middle again.

Looks like that's it for the day,ideally it would have been nice to get England out and be batting tomorrow morning. Hopefully Ireland can get the last wicket in the first over tomorrow and from there who knows, England still firm favourites though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭crossman47

county wrote: »
    Looks like that's it for the day,ideally it would have been nice to get England out and be batting tomorrow morning. Hopefully Ireland can get the last wicket in the first over tomorrow and from there who knows, England still firm favourites though

Favourites maybe but I don't think you can say firm favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,757 ✭✭✭✭bilston

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Great stuff, we’re in as good a position to win this match as we’ll ever be. Get this last wicket and guts of two days to knock off c200 hopefully. If we can’t do that, we won’t deserve to win.

Chasing 200+ batting last in a test match isn't done that often.

Of course it would be a Day 3 wicket so should still be a decent track. But England are definitely favourites for me. But we have a decent chance and to be honest I didn't think we would at this stage in the match.

• Advertisement

If Ireland get that early wicket and are chasing 181-185 they have a chance,anything over 200 and I would worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I see today's highlights are on Sky Sports Mix at 8pm tonight (that's the Sports Channel you can get on Cable and Sky without subscribing to Sky, they don't seem to be showing highlights on that channel tomorrow).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Guffy

I know its only our 3rd test but what would this mean for the test rankings? And what does the test rankings matter? Is it just to make it easier to get games against the more established teams or does this make it harder as we beat an established team?

bilston wrote: »
    Chasing 200+ batting last in a test match isn't done that often.

Of course it would be a Day 3 wicket so should still be a decent track. But England are definitely favourites for me. But we have a decent chance and to be honest I didn't think we would at this stage in the match.
    Normally the pitch plays best between day 2 and day 3. I suspect the difference here will come down to the weather, and if there is some dampness in the pitch or if it's overcast chasing such a target down may prove very difficult

Glorious sunshine is likely to be a different matter, as Jack Leach showed earlier

Guffy wrote: »
    I know its only our 3rd test but what would this mean for the test rankings? And what does the test rankings matter? Is it just to make it easier to get games against the more established teams or does this make it harder as we beat an established team?

Ireland currently have no ranking due to insufficient matches played

It also looks though as this match will not count, as it seems that only series of 2 matches or more do count

There's more about it on Wiki, but I'm not claiming any in depth understanding

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

Skid X wrote: »
    I see today's highlights are on Sky Sports Mix at 8pm tonight (that's the Sports Channel you can get on Cable and Sky without subscribing to Sky, they don't seem to be showing highlights on that channel tomorrow).

There are highlights at 7pm each day on Channel 5 which is free to air on satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,757 ✭✭✭✭bilston

What is Ireland's programme moving forward. I can't find any fixtures (tests or limited overs) anywhere whether the Cricket Ireland or ICC websites.

What is Ireland's programme moving forward. I can't find any fixtures (tests or limited overs) anywhere whether the Cricket Ireland or ICC websites.

The entire ICC Future Tours Programme can be seen [url=file:///C:/Users/oneun/Downloads/Men-s-FTP-20-Members-Jul-2019.pdf]here[/url]

Over next winter they play 3 ODIs in the WI and a test in SL then 3 T20s in Afghanistan before a test and a T20 series in Zimbabwe

Bangladesh are the only team here for a test next year together with some ODIs and T20s. There will be 3 ODIs and 3 T20s against NZ and some T20s at home to Afghanistan and Pakistan with 3 ODIs in England in September 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 39,508 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Beasty wrote: »
    The entire ICC Future Tours Programme can be seen [url=file:///C:/Users/oneun/Downloads/Men-s-FTP-20-Members-Jul-2019.pdf]here[/url]

Over next winter they play 3 ODIs in the WI and a test in SL then 3 T20s in Afghanistan before a test and a T20 series in Zimbabwe

Bangladesh are the only team here for a test next year together with some ODIs and T20s. There will be 3 ODIs and 3 T20s against NZ and some T20s at home to Afghanistan and Pakistan with 3 ODIs in England in September 2020

T20 world cup qualifying tournament in November too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Chasing 200+ batting last in a test match isn't done that often

Ah come now, if we have any pretensions as a test team, we should be capable of getting 200 with little time pressure. It’s a mindset that’s needed, defend, defend, don’t go chasing balls, wait for the poor deliveries and score off them. We’ve done far better with the ball that we all expected. Now time to bat sensibly and don’t put our middle & lower orders under too much pressure. Assuming we get the last wicket for not too much more, it’ll be ours to lose.

Advertisement