Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Ireland news thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

That wicket was badly needed,unset Englands momentum

• Registered Users Posts: 39,533 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Leach doing some damage here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

KevIRL wrote: »
    Leach doing some damage here
    Putting in a strong case to be a top3 batman for Eng :P
    If Eng could sort out their top order, they'd be the No1 team, excellent from 4 down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Lads - Can I ask

As someone who has never played cricket, but a little bit of a fan....

Why did KOB not give it more of a lash yesterday when Ireland was down to 8 wickets or 9 wickets gone.

I would have expected him to cut loose at that stage on the basis that if he wasn't out soon, then the other batsman would be.....but his scoring rate never really went up?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Leach doing the business for England.we need to take him out,can see a century score from him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,088 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Leach, the new opening batsman sensation for England.

Roy isn't an opening Test batsman for me anyway

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,767 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Lads - Can I ask

As someone who has never played cricket, but a little bit of a fan....

Why did KOB not give it more of a lash yesterday when Ireland was down to 8 wickets or 9 wickets gone.

I would have expected him to cut loose at that stage on the basis that if he wasn't out soon, then the other batsman would be.....but his scoring rate never really went up?
    Test cricket is to some extent a war of attrition. As Leach is currently showing tail-enders can stick around, and if KOB had cut loose he would have risked losing his own wicket

As it was the last 3 did hang around for well over an hour and KOB did accumulate a few runs on a day when runs were at a premium

Ultimately though a player has to make a judgement call. If they had managed to keep going until close of play he may well have opened up this morning

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,767 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Champagne corks hold up play!!

Roy isn't an opening Test batsman for me anyway
    I'm reserving judgement for now. They were comparing him with Warner earlier, who has managed to succeed as an aggressive opener. I think a couple of tests against Australia will be more telling, particularly once they have managed to get the WC victory out of their systems. 6 weeks of 50 over cricket followed by a test will require some adjustment, and this test is giving some players the opportunity to play themselves back into a test mentality

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Leach with 50 now, he's doing a lot of damage. Lead is only 32

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

They'd be wanting another wicket soon enough if at all possible. Won't be long till we're back at parity and it's advantage very much swinging to England. What plans has Porters and the bowlers got????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

With the ball getting softer and the weather getting hotter it could be a long day for the bowlers. Murtagh's not a young lad.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    They'd be wanting another wicket soon enough if at all possible. Won't be long till we're back at parity and it's advantage very much swinging to England. What plans has Porters and the bowlers got????
    Yeah the momentum is almost completely with them already and they following batsmen will take a lot of confidence from Leach

Roy 50 and scores level

Lunch with the scores now essentially level and England one wicket down. Not looking good at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Lunch with the scores now essentially level and England one wicket down. Not looking good at all

Nope not looking great, the night watch man is embarrassing us. Have we no one to york him? Bounce him out? Anything? If people aren't throwing away wickets, you have to have some way of winkling them out. Mind you, what comes after this pair mightn't be great either. Pity we couldn't soak up a few more overs when batting yesterday. It was a great day but in a ODI fashion. Ah well, back to reality :)

Yeah, this is Test cricket, gotta do it over multiple days. Needed to make the most of the new ball in the first hour, was hoping for another wicket or two. Eng had a good scoring rate as well in that session, which was disappointing.
    Pitch looks really good for the batsmen, I'd expect Eng to set a good score for Ireland to chase.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Temperature just over 36c now. Hellish for running and not good for concentration either.

Can I ask is there any significance to the number of overs or do they just keep going until everyone is bowled out?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭HeartOfTheCity

Gotta catch that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Can I ask is there any significance to the number of overs or do they just keep going until everyone is bowled out?

Essentially yes, although England can declare whenever they feel they have more than enough runs.

Wilson drops a sitter which should have dismissed Leach. All going wrong today unfortunately.

Yeah, this is a disaster now.

Any chance of some mad rainshower?

Yeah, this is a disaster now.

Any chance of some mad rainshower?

Chance of a shower in the next hour or two but nothing mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭wicorthered

A duck and a dropped sitter. Not a great test for Wilson!

Regardless of what happens now, still a great test match for Ireland!

There's the breakthrough

At last.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭wicorthered

These two days have summed up the Irish attack perfectly.

When there is some seam or swing about we have a very handy little attack, well able to exploit any sideways movement. It's why I think we'll always be a handful at home (if the groundsman plays along).
    On the other hand on flat hard pitches the complete lack of pace and quality spin means we will never bowl out test batting line ups, the ammunition just isn't there. Until we fix that we will continue to be cannon fodder especially away from home.
    All in all still delighted with this test.

At last.

Need to finally get Leach out fast now too and reset

You can keep bowling until they are bowled out, they declare, or we reach the end of the scheduled 4 days. There are a few other considerations, but it's based on circumstances.
    The main significance is that after 80 over, from the fielding teams point of view, you get anther new ball.

• Advertisement

Leach is having his Ashton Agar day.

Advertisement