Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anywhere that sells .223s in bulk or for very cheap?

• 24-07-2019 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Question as above,

.223s in bulk for a decent price or the 20 round boxes for cheap?

Thanking you kindly:D

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,451 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The only place that USED to, and i know that is feck all good to you, was Atlantic in Carlow. They sold TulAmmo (cheap, steel case, crap) and depending on how much you bought it could be got for as little as €4 per box of 20. The "normal" price was €7.50, and as you bought 3, 5, 10 or more boxes they gave a discount. Last time i was in with them i bought nearly 500 rounds and it came to €100. they told me they had a pallet of it so no fear of it running out.

Now they moved premises a few times within the last few years, the last of which was to a building outside of town, but since the move i never heard anymore from them. They don't have a website, no news from anyone going to the new place and no sign of life. So i assume they have shut up shop.

All that aside the TulAmmo can still be bought. It's like Wolf ammo, they're all steel case, but it really is dirt. At 100 yards you're looking for, at best, 1 inch groups and most times that is a fluke. The average is 1.5" or more. At 200 yards, well lets just says it's not worth measuring. I bought it because in the Bullseye comps i went through a lot of rounds per detail. 36 per detail and the possibility of two or more details per day (and that doesn't count practice). However at 50 yards or closer the TulAmmo was just fine.

Next in line would be American Eagle. There are two different types with one going for about €13 to €15 (55gr FMJ) per 20 and the next (50gr HPJ) at about €18 to €20 per 20.

After that you need to look towards bulk boxes. That si boxes of 50 rounds. Hornady do the steel match stuff. It was €27 per box of 50 but like all ammo has jumped in price in the last 2 to 3 years and now costs in the region of €35 to €37 per box of 50.

Fiocchi also do two types of 50 rounds boxes. The hollow points for €33 per box of 50, iirc, and the Ballistic tipped for €47 to €49 per box of 50. The HP, in my opinion are muck. Inaccurate, poor quality and frankly unpredictable at anything past 100 yards. The BT though are a great round. They use the Hornady v-max bullet, and are really accurate and consistent.

I believe Sako are back doing boxes of 50, but i've not had much dealings with Sako ammo in many years, but Griffin and Hawe in Athy do them (i'm sure there are other stockists, i just don't know).

Lastly, and i do mean lastly, is the PPU stuff. I don't rte this ammo at all. Seeing it misfire, hang fire, and simply not fire. Coupled with piss poor groups, and an utter lack of consistency means its right up there with the TulAmmo but costing up to three times as much per box.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Bagpipe

Cass wrote: »
    The only place that USED to, and i know that is feck all good to you, was Atlantic in Carlow. They sold TulAmmo (cheap, steel case, crap) and depending on how much you bought it could be got for as little as €4 per box of 20. The "normal" price was €7.50, and as you bought 3, 5, 10 or more boxes they gave a discount. Last time i was in with them i bought nearly 500 rounds and it came to €100. they told me they had a pallet of it so no fear of it running out.

Now they moved premises a few times within the last few years, the last of which was to a building outside of town, but since the move i never heard anymore from them. They don't have a website, no news from anyone going to the new place and no sign of life. So i assume they have shut up shop.

All that aside the TulAmmo can still be bought. It's like Wolf ammo, they're all steel case, but it really is dirt. At 100 yards you're looking for, at best, 1 inch groups and most times that is a fluke. The average is 1.5" or more. At 200 yards, well lets just says it's not worth measuring. I bought it because in the Bullseye comps i went through a lot of rounds per detail. 36 per detail and the possibility of two or more details per day (and that doesn't count practice). However at 50 yards or closer the TulAmmo was just fine.

Next in line would be American Eagle. There are two different types with one going for about €13 to €15 (55gr FMJ) per 20 and the next (50gr HPJ) at about €18 to €20 per 20.

After that you need to look towards bulk boxes. That si boxes of 50 rounds. Hornady do the steel match stuff. It was €27 per box of 50 but like all ammo has jumped in price in the last 2 to 3 years and now costs in the region of €35 to €37 per box of 50.

Fiocchi also do two types of 50 rounds boxes. The hollow points for €33 per box of 50, iirc, and the Ballistic tipped for €47 to €49 per box of 50. The HP, in my opinion are muck. Inaccurate, poor quality and frankly unpredictable at anything past 100 yards. The BT though are a great round. They use the Hornady v-max bullet, and are really accurate and consistent.

I believe Sako are back doing boxes of 50, but i've not had much dealings with Sako ammo in many years, but Griffin and Hawe in Athy do them (i'm sure there are other stockists, i just don't know).

Lastly, and i do mean lastly, is the PPU stuff. I don't rte this ammo at all. Seeing it misfire, hang fire, and simply not fire. Coupled with piss poor groups, and an utter lack of consistency means its right up there with the TulAmmo but costing up to three times as much per box.

I've used a single pack of TulAmmo just for sighting in the scope when it goes off a bit but they seem to be good for that. I'd only be looking for cheap ballistic tips as the foxes in my locality do love running right up close to their imminent demise so range consistency wouldn't be an issue. Isn't Fiocchi the reloaded stuff? So you'd reckon they'd give me the best bang for the buck?

Bagpipe wrote: »
    I've used a single pack of TulAmmo just for sighting in the scope when it goes off a bit but they seem to be good for that.
    I know of only one other place that sold it, but at €10 per box with no discount for bulk purchases i gave it a wide birth.
    Isn't Fiocchi the reloaded stuff?
    Don't understand this? Fiocchi are an ammo manufacturer. Perhaps you're thinking of HPS. They use new, and once fired brass and make the ammo to order. Great stuff, but no one imports it anymore which is a crying shame.
    So you'd reckon they'd give me the best bang for the buck?
    Yup.

€50 for 50 rounds. They're as good as Hornady and the BT will drop Charlie on the spot if you do your part.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

I know of only one other place that sold it, but at €10 per box with no discount for bulk purchases i gave it a wide birth.

Don't understand this? Fiocchi are an ammo manufacturer. Perhaps you're thinking of HPS. They use new, and once fired brass and make the ammo to order. Great stuff, but no one imports it anymore which is a crying shame.

Yup.

€50 for 50 rounds. They're as good as Hornady and the BT will drop Charlie on the spot if you do your part.

Thats brilliant altogether thanks for your help!
    On the other end of the scale, any places you know of for cheap 12 gauge cartriges?

Not up to speed on all the 12g stuff. I usually buy the same cartridge(s) because it works and i like it.

I usually go to Paul O'Halloran in Dangan. Good selection of ammo and his prices are usually cheaper than everywhere else or at worse the same as everywhere else.

• Advertisement

Oh sure look thanks anyway for your help above!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭TheEngineer1

Out of curiosity, what's the cheapest .308 ammo going? Don't think I've seen any going for less than a euro a round

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭clivej

With the Fiocchi bulk 50 round box I get a good few light strikes in my CZ 223 varmint, and my friends Tikka T3 as well.
    I won't be buying them again.

My go to ammo is Hornady 55g VMax and Federal VShok
    American Eagle BTHP are very good and no change in POI.
    Honady used to do bulk Training rounds in 50 bulk, again no POI change.

Funny, i was going to mention it but didn't in case i brought the thread off topic too soon, but i was down with Paul in Drangan he had Fiocchi 150gr, BT, rounds in 308. They are called Fiocchi EPN. I tried them out in two different 308s (different twist rates) and they both gave a ragged hole at 100 yards and cloverleaf at 200 yards. Very impressed with them.

He is selling them at €30 (or so) per box. However i've checked them against the likes of Hornady, and other "top rated" BT rounds and they are every bit as good. So when i went back down i bought another 4 boxes.

product_cover_thumb.jpg

He also does Hornady steel match at €65-€67 per box of 50. €8 or so cheaper than everywhere else i've seen them.

clivej wrote: »
    With the Fiocchi bulk 50 round box I get a good few light strikes in my CZ 223 varmint, and my friends Tikka T3 as well.
    I won't be buying them again..
    Out of curiosity were these the HP, cheaper ones, or the BT more expensive ones?

Had huge problems with the HP ones at €30 or so, but the €49 box of BT ones were good and consistent in both my bolt action and semi auto rifle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭clivej

Cass the BT - EPN 50gr. Seemed like a good buy at the time but far to many light strikes to use for hunting as you never know if they will fire or not. Use for a bit of plinking, but back to the VMax, VShok, or American Eagle for hunting.
    Best cheap 308 ammo for my Sako 75 is the Hornady Steel match
    486267.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Bagpipe wrote: »
    Thats brilliant altogether thanks for your help!
    On the other end of the scale, any places you know of for cheap 12 gauge cartriges?

Outdoor sports do olympic blues for 55 a slab

Ardee have tunets for around the 50-55 a slab

Cass the BT - EPN 50gr. Seemed like a good buy at the time but far to many light strikes to use for hunting as you never know if they will fire or not.

Never had that issue with them in either of my rifles. Odd one.

Funny, i was going to mention it but didn't in case i brought the thread off topic too soon, but i was down with Paul in Drangan he had Fiocchi 150gr, BT, rounds in 308. They are called Fiocchi EPN. I tried them out in two different 308s (different twist rates) and they both gave a ragged hole at 100 yards and cloverleaf at 200 yards. Very impressed with them.

He is selling them at €30 (or so) per box. However i've checked them against the likes of Hornady, and other "top rated" BT rounds and they are every bit as good. So when i went back down i bought another 4 boxes.

product_cover_thumb.jpg

He also does Hornady steel match at €65-€67 per box of 50. €8 or so cheaper than everywhere else i've seen them.

That's 30 beans per 20 is it? Are they suitable for deer do you reckon?

Yup.

EPN is Expanding Polymer Nose. Exact same as ballistic tip. Designed to push the polymer tip back into the bullet forcing it to expand and fragment on impact.

I've used the same bullet in Hornady for years and they're excellent at dropping the animal on the spot. When i open up the deer you have the entry hole, the "damage" to the heart, but nothing more. Even the "other side" of the rib cage on the inside is largely untouched. They dump all their energy on impact and gives the animal a quick, clean death.

So these, and it's the first year i've bought them, are the same design and should work in the exact same way.

As for the cost, well i don't know of any round that is under or even €1 per shot. With the caliber i just don't think you're going to find it. Perhaps PPU stuff, but even that is over €20 per box and i've made my opinions on that stuff clear above.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,785 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Out of curiosity, what's the cheapest .308 ammo going? Don't think I've seen any going for less than a euro a round

I got a box of 50 FMJ Sellier & Bellot 147 grain for 57 euro in Murray's of Patrick Street, Cork.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Yup.

EPN is Expanding Polymer Nose. Exact same as ballistic tip. Designed to push the polymer tip back into the bullet forcing it to expand and fragment on impact.

I've used the same bullet in Hornady for years and they're excellent at dropping the animal on the spot. When i open up the deer you have the entry hole, the "damage" to the heart, but nothing more. Even the "other side" of the rib cage on the inside is largely untouched. They dump all their energy on impact and gives the animal a quick, clean death.

So these, and it's the first year i've bought them, are the same design and should work in the exact same way.

As for the cost, well i don't know of any round that is under or even €1 per shot. With the caliber i just don't think you're going to find it. Perhaps PPU stuff, but even that is over €20 per box and i've made my opinions on that stuff clear above.

Heading to Tipp for a bit pre season zeroing next week, must take a look! Just bought 165 gr Hornady SST as it was the only hunting round the dealer had in stock. My gun prefers 150 gr bullets however and that Fiocchi looks like the ticket. Almost half the price too

I got a box of 50 FMJ Sellier & Bellot 147 grain for 57 euro in Murray's of Patrick Street, Cork.

I've gotten those before, great round for zeroing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭alanmc

Heading to Tipp for a bit pre season zeroing next week, must take a look! Just bought 165 gr Hornady SST as it was the only hunting round the dealer had in stock. My gun prefers 150 gr bullets however and that Fiocchi looks like the ticket. Almost half the price too

Lakelands would have a pallet or 10 of these Fiocchi 150g EPNs. Shot really well out of my rifle last time I used them as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Asus1

Centre gold ammo are selling hornady frontier for €16 a box
    https://m.facebook.com/centregoldammo2012/?refid=13&__tn__=%2Cg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Robotack

What's your opinion on the PPU Cass? My mate just bought a .243 and was thinking of running PPU for deer. I never liked the stuff but that might just be brand snobbery.

Robotack wrote: »
    What's your opinion on the PPU Cass? My mate just bought a .243 and was thinking of running PPU for deer. I never liked the stuff but that might just be brand snobbery.
    As above:
    To be unbiased i have not shot it in years. Perhaps it's improved, but for me it was so inconsistent and generally crap through a variety of calibers that i simply won't chance it. And that was just at paper.

For game, not a hope. I wouldn't risk it, nor would i subject any animal to a slow death because of piss poor ammo that i might have saved a few quid on.

There are lads that love it, and lads that like it. I'm simply not one of them.

A couple of years back at the last HCAP i was involved in a chap had failed the grouping part twice. He was getting frustrated and this was showing. I seen he was using PPU. I brought him back to the sheltered range, re-zeroed his rifle with some of my ammo (Hornady 178gr A-Max) and brought him back up. He flew through the grouping, and deer part, with a very tight and consistent group.

Now if it were the chap at fault the better ammo would have helped, but you'd see an improvement, perhaps, but his groups went from over 6" to sub 1.5" by using the better ammo.

I'll say this and don't take it as an insult as its not intended as such. If it's for deer then spend the extra few quid and buy good quality, appropriate, and consistent ammo. Unless your friend is intending to shoot hundreds of deer then €100 - €150 of ammo should cover his entire season. A small price to pay for not only much, much better performance but the peace of mind that comes with knowing your rifle is on the ball.

I'm sure some will be along to tell you to try it, and frankly you should. I could be mistaken as my information is a few years old and the ammo be of better quality. At an average of €20 per box it's not going to break the bank to try a couple of 5 shot groups at 100 yards then at 200 yards. 5 shots though. No less, and be honest with himself. If there is a "flyer" it counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Robotack

Thanks... that kinda answers my question. When I tried it years ago I always found a very abrupt recoil as well. Of course I have to use it in my classic military rifles and I have to say that the 30.06 groups well for me. But like you said, I wouldn't be in a hurry to hunt with it.

In relation to the OP's question... I recently saw "freedom buckets" (I think) of .223 in mike duggans in Killarney. Can't remember the price of quantity because I don't have a 223, but suffice to say they were in a big bucket and they were cheap.

Robotack wrote: »
    In relation to the OP's question... I recently saw "freedom buckets" (I think) of .223 in mike duggans in Killarney. Can't remember the price of quantity because I don't have a 223, but suffice to say they were in a big bucket and they were cheap.

Thanks for that.

Didn't know anyone was stocking that here, and when i done a google search i see a couple of dealers are. 300 rounds for €180 or so. Not too bad. €0.60 per shot and they're 55gr fmj. Cheap and fun paper punching.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭shootemall

Out of curiosity
    Has anyone tried the 223 from the freedom bucket what do they group like .

Reviews say 1" groups at 100 yards and that was with a semi auto. Hence the reason i would have liked to get one, not knowing they were available here.

Reviews say 1" groups at 100 yards and that was with a semi auto. Hence the reason i would have liked to get one, not knowing they were available here.

I’m looking for something to feed the semi auto too (not to keen on crawling around looking for the brass afterwards either)
    Using hornady steel match at the min , which is ok but really doesn’t like steel mags

shootemall wrote: »
    ........ which is ok but really doesn’t like steel mags
    Nor mine which is why i'd like to stop using the TulAmmo (among other reasons).

Nor mine which is why i'd like to stop using the TulAmmo (among other reasons).

Tulammo I find is unbelievably accurate out to maybe 15 or 20 feet after that it starts to open up.
    I bought a few p mags and all steel case feeding issues disappeared , but would love something
    Brass cased if only to stop wear and tear , the steel can be pretty unforgiving

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭pm.

Cass the BT - EPN 50gr. Seemed like a good buy at the time but far to many light strikes to use for hunting as you never know if they will fire or not. Use for a bit of plinking, but back to the VMax, VShok, or American Eagle for hunting.
    Best cheap 308 ammo for my Sako 75 is the Hornady Steel match
    486267.jpg

What is a light strike?

Advertisement