Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Ireland news thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    The bookies have England at 3/10. Big favs.
    How long will that last tomorrow? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭nice bit of green

The all out by lunch is the best bit. Hopefully they can get this game over the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭jasonb

The bookies have England at 3/10. Big favs.

Obviously Ireland are in a better position on the scoreboard, so are those odds just based on England being a better team, and people expecting them to come good tomorrow and play better than today?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,997 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The first session is going to be huge, Ireland need to show a decent attacking intent, be brave and decisive.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

jasonb wrote: »
    Obviously Ireland are in a better position on the scoreboard, so are those odds just based on England being a better team, and people expecting them to come good tomorrow and play better than today?

And our batting just not being all that reliable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

If we can keep England under 350 we have a serious shot. We'll just need 1 or 2 good innings and the rest to chip in.

Our bowlers will be reasonably fresh, especially the likes of Rankin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,738 ✭✭✭✭josip

Going to be seriously hot tomorrow.

Will that favour the bowlers and make it less likely that someone can put together a decent score with the bat?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

josip wrote: »
    Going to be seriously hot tomorrow.

Will that favour the bowlers and make it less likely that someone can put together a decent score with the bat?

Other way round I'd say, going to be more stressful on the bowlers running in all day

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

What a day. I was fearful coming into this, Ireland haven't been giving any reason to expect much but that England score looked surreal at one point.

Records broken and a solid batting performance.

Still feels like normal service will resume tomorrow but the game is there to be won.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,474 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

anyone know how close murtagh is to being the oldest bowler to get on the honours board? i presume warne and murali are ahead of him at the very least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,474 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Skid X wrote: »
    What a day. I was fearful coming into this, Ireland haven't been giving any reason to expect much but that England score looked surreal at one point.

Still feels like normal service will resume tomorrow but the game is there to be won.

the bookies are thinking the same, england being 1.3 and ireland are 4.33. mind you, ireland started at 29

• Registered Users Posts: 39,539 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

the bookies are thinking the same, england being 1.3 and ireland are 4.33. mind you, ireland started at 29

PP had them at 36 at 10 this morning. At one stage today just after lunch it was England evs, Ireland 11/10

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭HeartOfTheCity

If we can keep England under 350 we have a serious shot. We'll just need 1 or 2 good innings and the rest to chip in.

Our bowlers will be reasonably fresh, especially the likes of Rankin.

I think it needs to be closer to 300 than 350.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Lets say 325 and I'll throw in a few steak knives

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

England opened with a rabbit in the second innings, 122 is a nice lead, great effort

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Fabulous day for the Ireland team. Really looking forward to day 2; tomorrow mornings session likely to define the Test match, esp if Ireland take advantage of the new ball and conditions.
    Skid X wrote: »

England opened with a rabbit in the second innings, 122 is a nice lead, great effort

Lead of 120 could be a little or a lot, who knows as there's such a potential gap on paper between the teams. As said above tomorrow is a new day and we'll have a better idea by lunch as to our prospects. Can lightning strike twice, two days in succession?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Don't mean to insult the Irish team but could England have underestimated Ireland and maybe are more concentrated on upcoming ashes series?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭nice bit of green

Don't mean to insult the Irish team but could England have underestimated Ireland and maybe are more concentrated on upcoming ashes series?
    Without a doubt, it’s a warm up friendly for them and they’ve had many a test disaster in the past. Whatever happens over the next few days will be quickly forgotten by them but will live long in the memory for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Without a doubt, it’s a warm up friendly for them and they’ve had many a test disaster in the past. Whatever happens over the next few days will be quickly forgotten by them but will live long in the memory for us.

Its not a warm up friendly, its a test match

KevIRL wrote: »
    PP had them at 36 at 10 this morning. At one stage today just after lunch it was England evs, Ireland 11/10

Ireland went up to 50/1 just after the toss.

• Advertisement

We only scored 40 runs from the final six wickets , it’s a shame we couldn’t have managed to get to 250. Some good attacking batting, very good in fact some great shots and regularly finding the boundary but when we lost wickets it was mainly due to poor shot selection and or shot execution that gave England their wickets, they were rank poor with the ball... I just feel we let them off a bit by not hitting that 250 mark.

Tomorrow is essentially a new game, with Ireland getting a 100 point headstart. The pitch won't be the same as today and the wicket will remain the same for the next 2 days.

The Lords pitch is clockwork. Minefield before lunch then a road for 3 days. It will go bad towards the end of Day 4.

BTW 93 overs today is an absolute disgrace. 2 innings chances accounts for 4 but being 13 overs short is unacceptable.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,866 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

jasonb wrote: »

It will be a very different wicket in the morning to what it was at start of play on Wednesday. The interesting question though is how much effect the weather will have. It could be a very long day in the field for Ireland. On the other hand, Lords is unlikely to have ever encountered heat like what is expected on Thursday. It's potentially new territory. I can't imagine the wicket will completely break down, but it may deteriorate quicker than normal due to the extreme weather which could increase the value of that 132 run lead

• Registered Users Posts: 23,573 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

37c (potentially up to 39c!) strikes me as potentially dangerous heat to players of any sport. I wonder will play be suspended.

37c (potentially up to 39c!) strikes me as potentially dangerous heat to players of any sport. I wonder will play be suspended.

Certainly sounds dangerous, it wouldn’t be very nice or comfortable sitting watching even either. What needs to be considered too is both teams dont have experience of playing in those conditions. Nothing yet online as to what may transpire, maybe they will play until 34 degrees or something, then break in the day and resume towards 4.30 if and when the temperature dips again.

Strumms wrote: »
    Certainly sounds dangerous, it wouldn’t be very nice or comfortable sitting watching even either. What needs to be considered too is both teams dont have experience of playing in those conditions. Nothing yet online as to what may transpire, maybe they will play until 34 degrees or something, then break in the day and resume towards 4.30 if and when the temperature dips again.

If they were organised, surely they could start a bit earlier as well. The old 11am leisurely start is part of tradition I suppose but if needs must? Mind you at the rate wickets were falling, the full 4 days may hardly be needed so they could lose a couple of hours I guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

The earlier you start the more juice there is in the pitch, if they were starting earlier then 11 we'd have bowled them out for 50 .... or they wouldn't have decided to bat first! As it is I wouldn't miss the start of play today, going to be a lot of fun to see what we can get out of it early, who they send in next and how many of them can't do any better then last time ...

I don't ever remember heat causing them to stop play in India/Australia? They aren't about to stop in London. Can't remember exactly what temperature it hit but I was there for the "Indian Summer" test against India and I think it was mid 30s. Just walking to the tube to get to the game was an experience, buy a cold drink in a shop, drink it just about non-stop while walking and then into the next shop for another once it was finished. Thankfully we were seated in the shade at the game!

Leach on 11 already

KevIRL wrote: »
    Leach on 11 already

Another day, another dollar..

• Advertisement

Burns out!

Advertisement