Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Ireland news thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

KevIRL wrote: »
    England to bat again today it looks like

Needs a partnership to stay in for more than 5 balls. Clearly easier after you stick around early. Nobody has done it but Stirling and Balbirnie on either side (and they gave a few chances early) and it is the telling period so far.

Slow, one single an over if needs be

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

That kind of stuff absolutely infuriates me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

7 wickets down now,what time do they finish the days play at?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,866 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Whatever happens now this is going to go down as one of the greatest days in Irish sport, let alone cricket. Savour what has been a stunning performance. A lead on the first innings is an incredible achievement. The fact it could be 100 runs or more is sensational

Oh, and yes iam a Yorkshireman, but I'm wearing my Ireland test jersey (bought in that rained off 1st day against Pakistan) with a certain pride today. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Dytalus

county wrote: »

6.30 I think?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,866 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Because of the slow over rate probably 7pm (can't be later)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,738 ✭✭✭✭josip

Day 4 tickets are worthless at this stage I presume?

Beasty wrote: »
    Whatever happens now this is going to go down as one of the greatest days in Irish sport, let alone cricket. Savour what has been a stunning performance. A lead on the first innings is an incredible achievement. The fact it could be 100 runs or more is sensational

I partly agree with this but this was a chance to put England seriously under pressure. England haven’t had to bowl well to take their wickets.

Stirling and balbirnie got out to good balls yes.

The rest have been poor decisions and will probably cost us any chance of a win

josip wrote: »
    Day 4 tickets are worthless at this stage I presume?

Who knows. If ireland can see through the evening I suspect England may try and bat for nearly 2 days to put pressure on Ireland when the pitch may be taking quite a bit of spin

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Just need to inch that lead over 100 runs now, we only need one half-decent partnership

• Advertisement

If Ireland can get to the end of play still batting I would be happy,bit of a moral boast.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,573 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

From my position of ignorance should they not just go for it now?

McBrine can hang around. I’d be up for OBrien playing a couple more shots but there is no reason to go gung ho.

Another 30/35 runs could be absolutely crucial come Saturday

Nah just hang in there and wait for the mistakes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Day 1 is the win for Ireland.

However they could have batter a bit better. They have let England back into the game now.

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Day 1 is the win for Ireland.

However they could have batter a bit better. They have let England back into the game now.

You need to recognise this has been very much a bowler's pitch. From what I've seen Ireland have not batted recklessly and any lead is a phenomenal achievement

bbc says the play till 7,can we bat till then?

bbc says the play till 7,can we bat till then?

Yeah. If they don’t finished the stated overs at the start of the day then they can extend play for 30mins until 7pm

• Registered Users Posts: 39,539 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

8 down

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

143/6 to 178/8 is ok. 93 run lead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,573 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I take it this batting is unorthodox? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,997 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Beasty wrote: »
    You need to recognise this has been very much a bowler's pitch. From what I've seen Ireland have not batted recklessly and any lead is a phenomenal achievement

I think a couple of poor shot selections gave up two to three wickets in the middle order that were at odds with the ability of the fellas who gave them up.

That said I’d be cautious about the back patting and ‘phenomenal achievement’ stuff. There is merit to the compliment but Irish sport and sportspeople have not profited from the scores of media and Joe public who heap praise Willy niily for just showing up and throwing the bat at it...

My attitude is you take two wickets why not 3, a 50 ? Why not 100... you were the 3rd fastest batsman between the wickets, why not the fastest ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Over a 100 run lead. Huge moral victory.

Hope the back the second inning with the same kind of performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

murtagh scores more runs than he conceded

• Registered Users Posts: 16,474 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

nice quick 16 for tim. hopefully boyd can stick around for a bit. need to squeeze every last run out today

Looks like England will have to bat again, getting a wicket now would be fantastic

207 all out,to be honest I would have taken that earlier when wickets we're falling quick. A few early wickets tomorrow morning and who knows what will happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Took advantage of the early conditions, and with a pitch that remained advantage to the bowlers, take a very good lead into the 2nd innings.
    Need to take their opportunity now, bowl as well as they did in the 1st innings, keep it tight, make Eng earn their runs, get some early wickets and put as much pressure onto Eng as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Fabulous day for the Ireland team. Really looking forward to day 2; tomorrow mornings session likely to define the Test match, esp if Ireland take advantage of the new ball and conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

The bookies have England at 3/10. Big favs.

Advertisement