Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post for everyone who QUIT evil fags

1535455565759»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

25 years of smoking, bought a vape on a whim during the week. 5 smokes in 4 days. Got pissed last night. Not 1 ciggie. I think Im done.

Shouldve done it years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭jmreire

The Nal wrote: »
    25 years of smoking, bought a vape on a whim during the week. 5 smokes in 4 days. Got pissed last night. Not 1 ciggie. I think Im done.

Yeah, the ultimate test is always the pub...and the " Just one" !!! Well done. Now, if you have not already done so.....kick the vaping too !!! Only thing which should be going into your lungs is fresh air....
    Keep up the good work !!!:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,950 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Brilliant. Stick with it and just dont buy any more smokes. The adaptation period is done by the sounds of it.

For the next week or so if you feel like you need a ciggie just drag harder and longer on the ecig or turn up the power if you can. It'll do the job.

Give it a couple of weeks and feel them lungs fill right to the brim. It's nice! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,048 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Brilliant. Stick with it and just dont buy any more smokes. The adaptation period is done by the sounds of it.

For the next week or so if you feel like you need a ciggie just drag harder and longer on the ecig or turn up the power if you can. It'll do the job.

Give it a couple of weeks and feel them lungs fill right to the brim. It's nice! :D

Listen to Mike! 10 months off the cigs on a vaper and down to 6mg now. Zero is the target. It does work.

Yes, but plan on ditching the vaping too.. I was talking to a friend recently who stopped smoking 31st Dec.....and has not touched a cigarette since, but he is still vaping.....after 3 1/2 mths. he should be completely clean by now. So the vaping can be addictive too. IMMO. Any Vaper's out there who would agree??

• Advertisement

jmreire wrote: »
    Yes, but plan on ditching the vaping too.. I was talking to a friend recently who stopped smoking 31st Dec.....and has not touched a cigarette since, but he is still vaping.....after 3 1/2 mths. he should be completely clean by now. So the vaping can be addictive too. IMMO. Any Vaper's out there who would agree??

Huh? you do realize e-liquid contains nicotine?

Huh? you do realize e-liquid contains nicotine?

No Mike... I have not got a clue what is in it. Just guessing that there is some chemical which lessens the withdrawal symptoms...so Vaping is basically swapping one form of nicotine addiction, for another one??? That would explain my friend's continued use of the "Support" ( vaping) for more than 3 mths..... AS I have said in my original post...there is only one way to really kick the habit...and that's basically Cold Turkey. You have to suffer the withdrawal pangs for a week or 10 days. But after about 6 days, that hard "Craving" will start to go,,,and every day will get less and less, until finally it will go altogether. Its not like you will still be suffering withdrawal pangs all the time.. even a month later. Its the best and most direct way to quit smoking. Vaping is really torturing yourself over an extended time. And I would imagine that while you are vaping, it increases the possibility of smoking cigarettes again too. Has anyone managed to quit smoking via the vaping method?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I'm off them 1 year and 8 months after 25 years a twenty a day habit. I didn't go on to the vapes because I knew I would just be replacing one thing with another (I didn't like them either) but I did use the nicorette inhaler for about 12 weeks to get me over the nicotine cravings and it actually worked for me. I was late to smoking, and I loved them. Now I only smoke in my dreams :p

Just over 3 months off them now and did the maths last night. I've saved 1000 euro. In 12 weeks. :eek:

Just over 3 months off them now and did the maths last night. I've saved 1000 euro. In 12 weeks. :eek:

I didn't realise just how much money I have saved but I have an app and it's calculating 6200K -

• Advertisement

Not only do you save money, but you extend your life too, in terms of health. A good friend of mine, same age etc, but lifelong smoker is now paying the real price of all the smoking.It's painfull to watch him trying to catch his breath, punctuated every now and again with bouts of coughing as his lungs try to clear themselves.Of all the things you might do, if you are a smoker, giving them up will probably be the best thing you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭digit1

Pretzill wrote: »
    I didn't realise just how much money I have saved but I have an app and it's calculating 6200K -

6200k, Thats amazing. Well Done. Keep it going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭bilbot79

If you invest that in your pension it becomes 10k and your retirement will be better because you're healthier.

Smoking is one of the worst ideas imaginable

Wow, more money for coke and hookers!

I'm 13 months off the cigs. Still vaping though. Started on 18mg. Down to 6mg of nicotine. Gonna try 0mg next week.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I'm 13 months off the cigs. Still vaping though. Started on 18mg. Down to 6mg of nicotine. Gonna try 0mg next week.

Well done Grandeeod!

Well done Grandeeod!

I smoked 6.5K a year roughly. The vape costs me 650 a year for kit and juice. I've blown the savings on good times for the missus and daughter over the last year. They so deserve it and more! Now I might start looking at using it in a different way. That said the health implications are very noticeable too. Quitting cigs is life changing in so many ways. Really hoping I can manage on 0mg juice and kick the vape kit altogether. Booze kick to follow.:eek:

I smoked 6.5K a year roughly. The vape costs me 650 a year for kit and juice. I've blown the savings on good times for the missus and daughter over the last year. They so deserve it and more! Now I might start looking at using it in a different way. That said the health implications are very noticeable too. Quitting cigs is life changing in so many ways. Really hoping I can manage on 0mg juice and kick the vape kit altogether. Booze kick to follow.:eek:

It's great and you'll do it! I didn't vape as they made my throat sore - worked in my favour in the end. I've just knocked the wine on the head now for a while (to lose the weight I gained) feel better again. Had a tough few years with the hubby very sick so I feel I need to be healthier now, for him and for me. Giving up smoking was the best thing I've done in years.

^^
    Wha?

ETA: There was spam content above (looks like someone can't sleep either - but it's been removed and now my "wha?" looks silly :)

€13/€13.50 a pack now.:eek:

On a 6ml juice after 16 months off the ciggies. But I often crave them. Still a daily battle especially when under pressure in work/personal life. Never crave one when having a beer though.:D

• Advertisement

€13/€13.50 a pack now.:eek:

On a 6ml juice after 16 months off the ciggies. But I often crave them. Still a daily battle especially when under pressure in work/personal life. Never crave one when having a beer though.:D

Coming up on my two year anniversary smoke free - I smoke in my dreams and the cravings are almost gone - 13.50 I know it's mad - so glad they're gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

I smoke in my dreams ..........

I'm smoke free since May 2003.

Occasionally I still have the odd dream where I'm smoking! Usually wake up in a panic til the realisation that it was just a dream sinks in.

:D

• 1 year since I last had a cigarette.

Don't like the term quitting, as its a negative term, and I did something positive.

Anyway, one of the main things that bothered me when I used to smoke, was I couldn't have a drink at home, as I'd associate drinking with smoking, and my wife hated me smoking.

Tonight, I'm sitting in, watching the golf, just finished a beer, and cracked open a bottle of red. No fear that I might want to have a cigarette

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

job seeker wrote: »
    Apologies for bumping an old thread.

Fist of all Spurious I just want to say, very well done for giving them up. and for staying off them for 16 years.. I smoked since I was 13 and now I'm 23. I hope someday I can say I've been off them for 16 year...

1 year after I posted this I quit! So funny how things work out! It’s bittersweet!

1 year since I last had a cigarette.

Don't like the term quitting, as its a negative term, and I did something positive.

Anyway, one of the main things that bothered me when I used to smoke, was I couldn't have a drink at home, as I'd associate drinking with smoking, and my wife hated me smoking.

Tonight, I'm sitting in, watching the golf, just finished a beer, and cracked open a bottle of red. No fear that I might want to have a cigarette

It's great though isn't it? Doing things that used to involve smoking without the need for them is quite liberating.
    I'm about 1.5 years off them (I vaped for the final 7, smoked for 26 years). I'd a super easy ride with it so I've basically no good memories of smoking/vaping. I used to have little reminders but now it's like I never smoked. It still amazes me how easy it was for me.

Advertisement