Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Post for everyone who QUIT evil fags

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

I'm on day 2 of giving up cold turkey. Got on grand yesterday but I did crave and wish for one but got through the day. Got on grand this morning. I don't smoke in work and work was OK but I did find myself wishing for a cigarette. It's evening time now, I'm home from work and I am beginning to cave. I went to the shop and all and hour ago and bought a back and walking home I was so sorry. I want to give up so badly to save. Although I'm fighting the urge and I didn't open the pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

If you haven't opened that pack after buying it you are still in great shape!

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

haven't touch a cig since Monday night.... today hasn't been bad at all.... got a vaporiser in temple bar..... not really liking it... it doesn't feel like a smoke... the "smoke" is too light from what I'm used too and isn't doing anything :-/ but I am missing my nightly smokes :-(
    if I make it a week - great, 2 weeks I'll be delighted, longer... It may be a breakthrough!!
    But don't want to jinx myself too early!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

I caved in after writing my post last night and smoked one. Just one which was good going.

I also smoked one this morning. If I could make this box stretch over a week, I'll be going good.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 copea2

I'm officially off the smokes one year today ( I have waited a while to say that !!!)

Didn't think I would make it this far - it was tough going in the beginning but you just have to stick with it. Can't believe its been a year already.

I haven't had one cigarette since giving up and I honestly believe that's the reason I made it this far and the best piece of advice I got from these threads.

Best of luck to everyone else quitting. It really does feel great to say your a non-smoker :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭remembering

I will be 3 years off them this January. At times I Still can't believe I don't smoke anymore because I used to chain smoke ! I did it cold turkey and never had one puff since the day i stopped. I just know I can't because I'd be back on them!! Sometimes I miss them if I'm out with people that smoke but then I smell someone in the lift at work and I can't believe I used to smell like that!! Never thought I'd think like that!! I honestly think someone 'upstairs' told me to give up. I just can't explain it but I truly believe they did because I just stopped one day out if the blue. Good luck to all giving up . It can be hard at times but it will be worth it in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭BremoreDave

I will be 3 years off them this January. At times I Still can't believe I don't smoke anymore because I used to chain smoke ! I did it cold turkey and never had one puff since the day i stopped. I just know I can't because I'd be back on them!! Sometimes I miss them if I'm out with people that smoke but then I smell someone in the lift at work and I can't believe I used to smell like that!! Never thought I'd think like that!! I honestly think someone 'upstairs' told me to give up. I just can't explain it but I truly believe they did because I just stopped one day out if the blue. Good luck to all giving up . It can be hard at times but it will be worth it in the end!

A lot of that rings true with me . Just passed the 7 month mark and I can honestly say it is a great feeling of freedom.
    I knew I had to change my whole lifestyle after a couple of doctors warning me of the way I was going , over 40 , smoking and high cholesterol, I was heading for a heart attack.
    One doctor in particular , after chatting with him, made me realize that I didn't actually enjoy smoking as much as I thought and it was mostly just out of routine.
    So for anyone else , keep at it , this is my third attempt , and so far the longest .

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭remembering

A lot of that rings true with me . Just passed the 7 month mark and I can honestly say it is a great feeling of freedom.
    I knew I had to change my whole lifestyle after a couple of doctors warning me of the way I was going , over 40 , smoking and high cholesterol, I was heading for a heart attack.
    One doctor in particular , after chatting with him, made me realize that I didn't actually enjoy smoking as much as I thought and it was mostly just out of routine.
    So for anyone else , keep at it , this is my third attempt , and so far the longest .

Hi ya

Well 7 months is fab. Well done to us! I also read the Alan Carr book about a week after I stopped. I did it backwards but I definitely found that excellent aswell! I felt very smug when the price of them went up in the budget last week!! Ha ha . Wish I had saved the money now. I'd have a nice fat bank account!!' Gd luck !!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭bd2012

2 weeks, one day today. I'm vaping but the first week was relatively pain free, bar the morning coffee craving.

Good luck to all!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Just hit 150 weeks off them today...:D Not that I am counting or anything:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Newonhere

I stopped in February 2011, I hadn't planned to stop although I wanted to. My partner bought me the Allen Carr book for Christmas 2010.
    All through reading the book I was thinking to myself that this is "typical American self help ****e" and it took me from late December to early February to read the first half of the book (I only persevered with it as I had promised my partner that I would) then I read the second half of the book in a period of about 4 days and I followed the directions given in relation to continuing to smoke as normal etc.
    I had no confidence at all that it would help me to stop but after finishing the book and following the directions I have not had or really wanted a cigarette since.
    I can't say that I have had any real cravings and I must say that at this point I really do consider myself as a non-smoker now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rarefind0220

indeed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

I started smoking daily about 2 years ago and the longest I had ever gone without one was about a week. I was able to go off them for a couple of days but then I'd have one and the whole thing would start again. Currently on day 10 since having one and today has been the hardest, feeling pretty much restless and irritated all day. Striving to not give in

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭gafarrell

I'll be off the coffin nails 6 years on January 3rd. I used to smoke about 20 a day.
    I got a chest infection on Jan 3rd 6 years ago and couldn't smoke. It was a good time to try and quit I suppose.
    I never went back on them thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Yep... Same here. Got a nasty chest infection at start of March this year and physically couldn't smoke for three days. Still off them now.

That's over 6600 cigarettes not smoked... 298 days off them and.... €3200 saved.

I have promised myself a nice new car when I hit the year mark. Fully confident of reaching that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Spearsharp

Hi, my name is David...

I have been smoking for 10 years... a few months ago, I switched tobacco to e-cig...

It was at my friend's birthday party, I first found this amazing product...

A well-shaped cigarette-liked device, lots of flavors...and I heard it is tar-free product, won't get burden to my lung...

It's bee long to give up smoking but failed...

Now I thought this device make it possible...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Good luck to everyone giving up tonight. I'm 2 years free in February, best thing i ever did!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,948 ✭✭✭DenMan

I'm over three years off them now! Had two on Christmas Eve night and then went cold turkey on them! Can't believe it's three years now! That's over 1,000 days! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭B00056718

I was a smoker for 16 years until I gave up and managed to stay off them for 3 years.

Stupidly, I started up again last February. Have decided to finish my last one just before midnight.

Thinks that worked for me last time:

1. As stupid as it might sound, I was thinking of this monster inside me that can only live with regular supply of nicotine. As long as I don't supply the monster, it will start dying. As soon as I smoke one, the monster is back to 100% health.

2. Substitute. Decide what you are going to do when craving and have the supply of the substitutes with you at all times. So before quitting say this in your head "Instead of smoking, I will eat jellies" or whatever it might be you decide to do.

3. Avoid things that would complement smoking. For me it was coffee. I started drinking tea first thing in the morning and would only drink coffee when smoking would't be possible. In the office, after starting work already etc.

I know some of these things sound silly but they worked for me and few weeks later I started to forget that I was ever smoking. So I though I share them and hopefully somebody will find them useful.

Also, don't expect to feel much better immediately. Recovery happens so gradually that you don't even notice it. It was some months later when I realized that I need much less sleep and have a lot more energy. For the first few days it was quite opposite - I felt more tired and irritated.

Good luck!

P.S It is also important to smoke you last one , convincing yourself that this is it. After this one, instead of smoking, I will (insert your substitute) and destroy any smokes you have left.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

3 years today!

Tried many times to quit and it took many times to find what worked for me so to those trying and those wanting to quit keep it up and you will find what work for you!

Happy 2015 and best of luck to those wanting to quit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Entropy7

5 years free of smoking today!!! so happy about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭digit1

Roughly 3 and a half years off them. What a change to my life and also my pocket !

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Biglad

It will be 4 years this January, best thing I've ever done without a doubt!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I just keep letting it slide. One day at a time I'm continuing to smoke like a dope. And it's on my mind a lot but I am at home all day and it breaks it up. I know it's psychological because I've gotten over the early days cravings a couple of times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Stopped smoking 3 days ago. Took herself to the film's tonight for free in my own head. One day at a time, but 1 fag will end up killing me.

I started smoking daily about 2 years ago and the longest I had ever gone without one was about a week. I was able to go off them for a couple of days but then I'd have one and the whole thing would start again. Currently on day 10 since having one and today has been the hardest, feeling pretty much restless and irritated all day. Striving to not give in

Posted this around christmas time, a few days after this I gave in...HOWEVER currently 3 weeks off them today, the longest I've ever went by far, even have went out twice and not smoked, onwards and upwards:)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭littlemisshobo

3 weeks off the smokes too... feel a hell of a lot better this week and was able to hang out in the sunshine while friends smoked on the lunch break and not be bothered at all... long may it last!

3 weeks off the smokes too... feel a hell of a lot better this week and was able to hang out in the sunshine while friends smoked on the lunch break and not be bothered at all... long may it last!

well done keep it up!! I recommend people to get an app, what keeps me going is trying to unlock all achievements that you get after passing certain periods of time, also shows how your health is improving:)

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭October

Was off cigarettes 8 years on 15th April! Delighted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭littlemisshobo

what's the app? I'm competitive enough to get into that idea!! 4 weeks off now, have had a job interview (that I got) and presentations to give and deadlines to meet in that time... and didn't smoke... woop!!

Advertisement