We have updated our Privacy Notice, you can read the updated document here
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Post for everyone who QUIT evil fags

1535455565759»

Comments

jmreire wrote: »
    I am a former smoker..30-35 per day, but weekends having a few pints..minimum 40+ per day / night...as per the round system. I made several attempts to quit over the years ( started when I was about 13 years old... "Friend" gave me one occasionally, and it does not take long to become hooked ) but each attempt only lasted a week or so each time...the weekend's in the pub socializing were the killer, would just have "the One", and off we would go again...it was hard to find some one back in those days who did not smoke, there were no bans or restrictions of any kind...perfectly normal to visit a friend in hospital, share a few cigarettes with him /her ( maybe bring them in some cigarette's) all completely normal. But it was getting to the stage that I would wake up at night for a cigarette.....that was the decider. The fags had to go. So I had the "final Fag" on a Sunday night, and started my smoke free existence. To help matters a bit, I bought a bag ( actually I bought several before I was finished ) of really hard sweets....Gobstoppers the kind that takes a long time to finish. So every time I felt the urge for a fag...I had a gobstopper. And so I got through the 1st day, which was not too bad.. the body had gotten used to the occasional nicotine shortage. Days 2 and 3 came and went,,,,and the withdrawal symptoms got worse,,,and the Nrs of Gobstoppers increased. Still, by day 4, while the longing was still there, It was no longer "hitting" me at what would be the normal smoking times...After breakfast, lunch etc. The weekend approached, and that was the main battle...have a pint, but not a cigarette. But I got through it ok. and began week 2. It was still hard, but every now and then, I could feel myself "drying out".....the poison was slowly starting to leave the system, and cracks were starting to appear in the addiction,,,,, now there were times that I did not feel urge to smoke so bad..and I was not chewing as many gobstoppers either by the end of week 2.....from that point onwards, each day was less and less a battle, until the urge to smoke was gone comletely. I have not smoked now for many many years...and sometimes people will say to me "Aren't you great to stay off them all that time?
    They mistakenly think that you will be suffering from nicotine withdrawal all the time once you stop... but the reality is, once the addiction cycle ( the last cigarette you smoke, has planted the need already for the next one) is broken...you are free, same as you were before you ever started smoking...and with all the benefits that has. Since that time, there has been many methods devised to help people stop smoking, and I can see from reading here what other people are trying in their fight against cigarettes. E cigarettes, where you can "dial" down the amount of nicotine gradually,,,and free yourself. But my advice to anyone who wants to quit, is to do it cold turkey, as I did..It's hard 10-14 days, but once you have the first few days over,,,,it will soon pass.and once the craving is gone....it's gone. To anyone thinking about quitting, it's the right choice every way...to anyone in the middle of withdrawal, stick it out. it does not last for ever, and you will be so glad that you
    did. Good Luck.

Congrats.
    I'm just wondering did you are anyone here quit when someone your living with a smoker? I have gotten off them a few times for maybe a month or two, but it feels like they're constantly around waiting for a weak moment. I suppose it's a similar battle no matter what the circumstances but it just feels harder.

Congrats.
    I'm just wondering did you are anyone here quit when someone your living with a smoker? I have gotten off them a few times for maybe a month or two, but it feels like they're constantly around waiting for a weak moment. I suppose it's a similar battle no matter what the circumstances but it just feels harder.

When I quit Jimmy,,,a non-smoker was a rare bird, nearly every house and business had it's smokers...as I mentioned in my post, even in hospitals every one smoked...patient's, nurse's and doctors. So I can understand where you are coming from..people would take out the package and automatically offer you one. So yes, it's more difficult to give them up when you are in constant contact with other smokers. But it can be done....and best way is the"cold turkey " method. in my opinion.You managed to kick the habit in the past, for a month or two..so the nicotine was well and truly out of the system at that stage.. basically, once you pass the 8-10 day period, you will have broken the back of it, and every day after that....the urge to smoke dwindles..until it's forgotten. I can understand where you are coming from though..the old memories are still there....the whole process, opening the package, selecting a cigarette, putting in in your mouth, lighting it and deeply drawing in the first lung-full of tobacco smoke....and satisfying the craving. But for me nowadays, if I am in a house and some one light's up, I leave the room. Main thing to remember, as in your case, is the battle you ( and everyone else ) has had to quit. But like I have already said....stick it out....it's well worth it from every angle.

25 years of smoking, bought a vape on a whim during the week. 5 smokes in 4 days. Got pissed last night. Not 1 ciggie. I think Im done.

Shouldve done it years ago.

The Nal wrote: »
    25 years of smoking, bought a vape on a whim during the week. 5 smokes in 4 days. Got pissed last night. Not 1 ciggie. I think Im done.

Yeah, the ultimate test is always the pub...and the " Just one" !!! Well done. Now, if you have not already done so.....kick the vaping too !!! Only thing which should be going into your lungs is fresh air....
    Keep up the good work !!!:):):)

Brilliant. Stick with it and just dont buy any more smokes. The adaptation period is done by the sounds of it.

For the next week or so if you feel like you need a ciggie just drag harder and longer on the ecig or turn up the power if you can. It'll do the job.

Give it a couple of weeks and feel them lungs fill right to the brim. It's nice! :D

Brilliant. Stick with it and just dont buy any more smokes. The adaptation period is done by the sounds of it.

For the next week or so if you feel like you need a ciggie just drag harder and longer on the ecig or turn up the power if you can. It'll do the job.

Give it a couple of weeks and feel them lungs fill right to the brim. It's nice! :D

Listen to Mike! 10 months off the cigs on a vaper and down to 6mg now. Zero is the target. It does work.

Yes, but plan on ditching the vaping too.. I was talking to a friend recently who stopped smoking 31st Dec.....and has not touched a cigarette since, but he is still vaping.....after 3 1/2 mths. he should be completely clean by now. So the vaping can be addictive too. IMMO. Any Vaper's out there who would agree??

jmreire wrote: »
    Yes, but plan on ditching the vaping too.. I was talking to a friend recently who stopped smoking 31st Dec.....and has not touched a cigarette since, but he is still vaping.....after 3 1/2 mths. he should be completely clean by now. So the vaping can be addictive too. IMMO. Any Vaper's out there who would agree??

Huh? you do realize e-liquid contains nicotine?

Huh? you do realize e-liquid contains nicotine?

No Mike... I have not got a clue what is in it. Just guessing that there is some chemical which lessens the withdrawal symptoms...so Vaping is basically swapping one form of nicotine addiction, for another one??? That would explain my friend's continued use of the "Support" ( vaping) for more than 3 mths..... AS I have said in my original post...there is only one way to really kick the habit...and that's basically Cold Turkey. You have to suffer the withdrawal pangs for a week or 10 days. But after about 6 days, that hard "Craving" will start to go,,,and every day will get less and less, until finally it will go altogether. Its not like you will still be suffering withdrawal pangs all the time.. even a month later. Its the best and most direct way to quit smoking. Vaping is really torturing yourself over an extended time. And I would imagine that while you are vaping, it increases the possibility of smoking cigarettes again too. Has anyone managed to quit smoking via the vaping method?

I'm off them 1 year and 8 months after 25 years a twenty a day habit. I didn't go on to the vapes because I knew I would just be replacing one thing with another (I didn't like them either) but I did use the nicorette inhaler for about 12 weeks to get me over the nicotine cravings and it actually worked for me. I was late to smoking, and I loved them. Now I only smoke in my dreams :p

Just over 3 months off them now and did the maths last night. I've saved 1000 euro. In 12 weeks. :eek:

Just over 3 months off them now and did the maths last night. I've saved 1000 euro. In 12 weeks. :eek:

I didn't realise just how much money I have saved but I have an app and it's calculating 6200K -

Not only do you save money, but you extend your life too, in terms of health. A good friend of mine, same age etc, but lifelong smoker is now paying the real price of all the smoking.It's painfull to watch him trying to catch his breath, punctuated every now and again with bouts of coughing as his lungs try to clear themselves.Of all the things you might do, if you are a smoker, giving them up will probably be the best thing you can do.

Pretzill wrote: »
    I didn't realise just how much money I have saved but I have an app and it's calculating 6200K -

6200k, Thats amazing. Well Done. Keep it going.

If you invest that in your pension it becomes 10k and your retirement will be better because you're healthier.

Smoking is one of the worst ideas imaginable

Wow, more money for coke and hookers!

I'm 13 months off the cigs. Still vaping though. Started on 18mg. Down to 6mg of nicotine. Gonna try 0mg next week.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I'm 13 months off the cigs. Still vaping though. Started on 18mg. Down to 6mg of nicotine. Gonna try 0mg next week.

Well done Grandeeod!

Well done Grandeeod!

I smoked 6.5K a year roughly. The vape costs me 650 a year for kit and juice. I've blown the savings on good times for the missus and daughter over the last year. They so deserve it and more! Now I might start looking at using it in a different way. That said the health implications are very noticeable too. Quitting cigs is life changing in so many ways. Really hoping I can manage on 0mg juice and kick the vape kit altogether. Booze kick to follow.:eek:

I smoked 6.5K a year roughly. The vape costs me 650 a year for kit and juice. I've blown the savings on good times for the missus and daughter over the last year. They so deserve it and more! Now I might start looking at using it in a different way. That said the health implications are very noticeable too. Quitting cigs is life changing in so many ways. Really hoping I can manage on 0mg juice and kick the vape kit altogether. Booze kick to follow.:eek:

It's great and you'll do it! I didn't vape as they made my throat sore - worked in my favour in the end. I've just knocked the wine on the head now for a while (to lose the weight I gained) feel better again. Had a tough few years with the hubby very sick so I feel I need to be healthier now, for him and for me. Giving up smoking was the best thing I've done in years.

^^
    Wha?

ETA: There was spam content above (looks like someone can't sleep either - but it's been removed and now my "wha?" looks silly :)

€13/€13.50 a pack now.:eek:

On a 6ml juice after 16 months off the ciggies. But I often crave them. Still a daily battle especially when under pressure in work/personal life. Never crave one when having a beer though.:D

€13/€13.50 a pack now.:eek:

On a 6ml juice after 16 months off the ciggies. But I often crave them. Still a daily battle especially when under pressure in work/personal life. Never crave one when having a beer though.:D

Coming up on my two year anniversary smoke free - I smoke in my dreams and the cravings are almost gone - 13.50 I know it's mad - so glad they're gone!

I smoke in my dreams ..........

I'm smoke free since May 2003.

Occasionally I still have the odd dream where I'm smoking! Usually wake up in a panic til the realisation that it was just a dream sinks in.

:D

1 year since I last had a cigarette.

Don't like the term quitting, as its a negative term, and I did something positive.

Anyway, one of the main things that bothered me when I used to smoke, was I couldn't have a drink at home, as I'd associate drinking with smoking, and my wife hated me smoking.

Tonight, I'm sitting in, watching the golf, just finished a beer, and cracked open a bottle of red. No fear that I might want to have a cigarette

job seeker wrote: »
    Apologies for bumping an old thread.

Fist of all Spurious I just want to say, very well done for giving them up. and for staying off them for 16 years.. I smoked since I was 13 and now I'm 23. I hope someday I can say I've been off them for 16 year...

1 year after I posted this I quit! So funny how things work out! It’s bittersweet!

bazwraf wrote: »
    1 year since I last had a cigarette.

Don't like the term quitting, as its a negative term, and I did something positive.

Anyway, one of the main things that bothered me when I used to smoke, was I couldn't have a drink at home, as I'd associate drinking with smoking, and my wife hated me smoking.

Tonight, I'm sitting in, watching the golf, just finished a beer, and cracked open a bottle of red. No fear that I might want to have a cigarette

It's great though isn't it? Doing things that used to involve smoking without the need for them is quite liberating.
    I'm about 1.5 years off them (I vaped for the final 7, smoked for 26 years). I'd a super easy ride with it so I've basically no good memories of smoking/vaping. I used to have little reminders but now it's like I never smoked. It still amazes me how easy it was for me.

Society & Culture