Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Because people bring their real world BS into things that are supposed to be fun.

Yep,wouldn't it be great if companies were creating fun things that weren't full of *current year* bull**** like diversity quotas and everything-is-about-Trump?

We're watching the entertainment industries having a nervous breakdown and expecting us to enjoy it. :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

So here's the challenge with casting by appearance (whether that's by race, hair colour, height, whatever physical characteristics).

First you need someone who looks like the character in question, which is already dramatically narrowing your field of candidates. Then you need to actually find them. Then you need to ensure they're a good actor who can bring something fresh to the role - so you're down to a very small field indeed, perhaps already out of luck. Then the actor needs to be available and willing for the production. They need to have decent chemistry with the rest of the cast. And then you'll probably need agreement between all the key players - casting director, director, producer and perhaps even funder.

Ultimately - assuming there's no commercial shenanigans afoot and there's a degree of creative freedom involved in the casting - the most important factor is whether they're a good actor. If you get someone who looks like the fictional character as described or shown in source material, great - there are some brilliant casting directors out there who'll do their best to get the absolute best candidate! If not, also great! Physical appearance is an incredibly restrictive casting barrier for all the reasons described above, and ultimately something pretty much everyone won't particularly care about if the performance is good enough.

Naturally, it would be naive to assume everyone is cast based on acting talent alone :) That's completely not the case in reality. And there are plenty of circumstances where some kind of physical attribute is essential for the character in question - a production about race relations, realistic or fantastical, will obviously have far less leeway. In The Witcher, you're naturally not going to be casting a 6'5" person as a dwarf unless you have a healthy CG and effects budget :p There are also cases where extra efforts should be made if the role calls for an underrepresented minority actor - that's why there was such a backlash to Scarlett Johannson's casting in Ghost in the Shell, as at the time there were few lead roles for Asian-American actors (especially when the film works itself in weird loops to explain why she's not Asian). But for the most part what's key is that a performance captures the spirit and essence of the character in question, and brings something fresh and unique to the role. Restricting your casting to lookalikes means you're far less likely to get that.

How will all this play out in the context of The Witcher? Who knows *shrugs*. Personally I think the trailer looks a bit underwhelming mid-budget fantasy to me, and I'm not super passionate about the source material. I believe Cavill is a pretty bland actor... although that could suit the characterisation of Geralt in much of The Witcher 3 :o

• Registered Users Posts: 18,689 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

So filing this under "possibly true":

https://twitter.com/FallDrift/status/1153046794902880256

• A screenshot from 4chan? Really?

A screenshot from 4chan? Really?

https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/410050215/
    Apex Legends was leaked on 4chan a year ago.

Channers are just ordinary nerds with ordinary jobs, after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

but who is this 4chan?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I thought all three actresses had been officially confirmed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Frankly, I am really annoyed. I'm really into gothy-looking pale white girls and I thought this series would give me loads for my ****-bank but nooooo, they had to be all politically correct and hire a load of non-white actresses for the parts. It's very upsetting. And before people start at me, no, I'm not racist... my penis is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I think that it doesnt help that female game characters, especially in the witcher, are designed to look like super models. See the abuse the Triss actress is getting for not looking like the game character.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I think that it doesnt help that female game characters, especially in the witcher, are designed to look like super models.
    Eva green would've been bloody perfect for Yen. Venomous acting attitude, tough and experienced with dark themes, fantasy and even full nudity. Could handle anything the Witcher series could throw at her.

• Advertisement

• K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/410050215/
    Apex Legends was leaked on 4chan a year ago.

Channers are just ordinary nerds with ordinary jobs, after all.

There's also a religion spawned surrounding shrek :pac:

For every one truthful story, there's a hundred nonsense ones. I'd sooner trust the daily mail.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

My God, it's like a real life lodge of sorceresses.

Reminds me of a bloody great line in one of the books where Phillipa says to Geralt: "You know that we aren't a pack of wolves that you can drive away with your sword." To which Geralt replied that in fact, yes he could, because they were :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

If folk online put half as much time into understanding how their entertainment mediums of choice are actually produced, they'd be far less likely to buy into ridiculous stories like the one above due to their own pre-existing biases. :o

gizmo wrote: »
    If folk online put half as much time into understanding how their entertainment mediums of choice are actually produced, they'd be far less likely to buy into ridiculous stories like the one above due to their own pre-existing biases. :o

The Netflix Nilfgaardian Armour looks utter shíte though.

Especially compared to the game's

gchojnacki_nilfgaard_knight_lowpoly_by_scratcherpen-d7drabn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Compared to a wolly jumper it'd still be 2nd best!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    The Netflix Nilfgaardian Armour looks utter shíte though.
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I absolutely agree with you on that one. The subject of my derision is both the content of and logic expressed within that tweet and the quoted post.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,331 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

The casting other than Cavill is pretty atrocious but that's typical of Netflix. Won't be getting a sub from me. I've been enjoying the 1st game again.

As I have been gameless awhile and as I only played TW3 one time..... I am half tempted to start again with the first game. Not sure if this is a good or terrible decision though.

Problem is with me and replays, I always swear I am going to make different choices to see a different side of the game..... then when the choice comes I just can't do it :) The other choices always seem wrong to me. Ill will say "give alvin to triss this time" and then give him to Shani anyway. Or "romance triss this time" and I will stick with Yennefer.

One thing I might change though.... while I would never side against the scoia'tael and go with "the order"..... I might be able to convince myself to stay neutral. Has anyone done that? Is it worth doing or does it just mean you miss out on game content for both and get nothing instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Corvo

As I have been gameless awhile and as I only played TW3 one time..... I am half tempted to start again with the first game. Not sure if this is a good or terrible decision though.

Problem is with me and replays, I always swear I am going to make different choices to see a different side of the game..... then when the choice comes I just can't do it :) The other choices always seem wrong to me. Ill will say "give alvin to triss this time" and then give him to Shani anyway. Or "romance triss this time" and I will stick with Yennefer.

One thing I might change though.... while I would never side against the scoia'tael and go with "the order"..... I might be able to convince myself to stay neutral. Has anyone done that? Is it worth doing or does it just mean you miss out on game content for both and get nothing instead?

Same here. It's why I don't invest in those story driven Walking Dead games, once I make the choice and experienced the game, I have no desire to choose differently on a replay.

I will replay TW3 though, but simply on a much higher difficulty. I feel that on the normal setting, a lot of the mechanics are not required (potions, food etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,546 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

After over a year of "I should probably focus more on college and the rest of my life", I came back to Witcher, having finished my college papers and theory work today. Witcher and a pizza was my way of celebrating (I'm cool, I swear :P). Anywho, after first going off to pick a few fights with some innocent wolves who were minding their own business in order to refresh my memory, I got the main game finish. Now I feel like I should celebrate that... I guess I'll have to play the DLCs tomorrow!

Also, this is an accurate representation of being going back after so long away:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTWl8WzJ7z-lcGAb9k7SpoevbmV_yRAk1po_69dKQ-Nu_IlWY1s

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Also, this is an accurate representation of being going back after so long away:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTWl8WzJ7z-lcGAb9k7SpoevbmV_yRAk1po_69dKQ-Nu_IlWY1s

Decided to get properly stuck into Blood and Wine last week, having previously only played it for about an hour when it was released. I’d no idea what was going on. No idea of the controls. Nothing.

No wonder. It came out over three years ago. I could have sworn it was only last year. I’m still doubting it. But then again, it’s kind of symptomatic of how I’m pissing time away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,546 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Decided to get properly stuck into Blood and Wine last week, having previously only played it for about an hour when it was released. I’d no idea what was going on. No idea of the controls. Nothing.

No wonder. It came out over three years ago. I could have sworn it was only last year. I’m still doubting it. But then again, it’s kind of symptomatic of how I’m pissing time away.

Yup, having looked back over the thread, I posted that I was nearly finished in April of last year! I'd no clue about controls for ages as well, especially the signs. I was constantly going into the settings to check what was set as what. It even took me a while to figure out why I was still hanging around Skellige...

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭dbloke

I started playing at the start of July as it was the TrueAchievements Playlist game for the month. Took me 3 months of solid play to finish the game and all DLC. On easy mode. And I skipped playing Gwent.. 166 hours logged.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

dbloke wrote: »
    I started playing at the start of July as it was the TrueAchievements Playlist game for the month. Took me 3 months of solid play to finish the game and all DLC. On easy mode. And I skipped playing Gwent.. 166 hours logged.

So you've only done the tutorial missions :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭brianregan09

To be fair I hated Gwent aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 29,430 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I didn't think much of Gwent at all until i came across a mission to win a card. Took me a few goes but getting that card ignited my love for it. Backtracked to the starting area to collect as many cards as i could. Absolutely love it and have a lovely physical deck at home as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Gwent wasn't for me either, just couldn't get into it. I think it may have had something to do with an absolutely stunning game to be played instead of wasting my time on a digital card game...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,136 ✭✭✭✭Penn

i ABSOLUTELY LOVED gWENT (just realised I had caps lock on at this point). Seemed stupid at first, but once you started getting into it and building up a proper deck and strategy, it really started to become something to just do between missions, or "I'll stop playing in about 10 minutes, may as well play Gwent until I finish."

But I have to admit, there was one section in the middle of the game that I became so p*ssed off with the main story missions that Gwent (and the desire to meet new characters and go to new areas solely so I could play more Gwent and get new/unique cards) was pretty much the only thing that got me through that section. I quite possibly would have just given up the game altogether at that stage if not for Gwent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

The Witcher 3 is out on Switch next week. Anyone buying it??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I am I've never played any Witcher game ever on any console or pc am looking forward to seeing what this is about

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

I am I've never played any Witcher game ever on any console or pc am looking forward to seeing what this is about

You’re in for a treat!

Advertisement