Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

noodler wrote: »
    It's just that you've given a fairly baseless assessment.
    Netflix and Hollwood reputation say otherwise. Tons of adaptions are bleedin' butchering of the original work.
    Though it's a bit strange you felt the need to day you won't be subscribing.
    Is it? I thought that's the whole point to these shows; get more subs. I assume there'll be a lot of people who like the Witcher series subbing just to check it out. I was wearing my Witcher t-shirt at a store the other week and the cashier was like "Excited for the netflix show?" I said F no and he responded he recently built a computer to play the games high-end. Cool lad :D
    Anyway I don't get what's odd about mentioning you're not getting X product for Y reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

"Defend yourself for daring to question Netflix!" :rolleyes:
    The majority look nothing like how they're described in the book or known to look in the game series. Everything netflix touches turns to ****. The trailer made things look oddly low budget at times. This looks like a typical Netflix situation to me so I'd say the odds are on my side for the casting being bad. I know Cavill gets a lot of hate for his acting but I thought he was pretty damn good in MI
    as a villain
    although I'll concede he buffed up too much for this. Witchers are mutated to be as strong and fast as monsters not lift weights all day. Hollywood has thinks strength = bulk. He's more fit to play kingslayer now.

edit:
    Witcher's a polish creation which are typically pale AF. Outside of Ofir and Zerrikania most characters aren't very tan so people familiar with the series are confused. Hollywood does this crap all the time though. Never forget Titans, where 90% of the characters were completely unrecognisable as from the series (and it bombed). Once again cosplayers can and have been more convincing.

Roll your eyes all you want, but that's not what I said and you know it.
    The casting other than Cavill is pretty atrocious but that's typical of Netflix

So it's literally based on race. Yenn and Triss have slightly darker skin, and apparently it makes them atrocious casting.

You need to take a long hard look at yourself man.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    So it's literally based on race.
    It's based on looks.
    You need to take a long hard look at yourself man.
    So I can be more like you? Perish the thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

How did Titans bomb? It was instantly renewed for season 2, the general online reviews seem to range from good to great and it spawned Doom Patrol.

I was pleasantly surprised by it, thought it was very good.

It's based on looks.

So I can be more like you? Perish the thought.

Your problem comes down to skin colour. Yenn has the right hair, the right eyes and honestly a similar facial structure. It's skin colour.

Also yeah, as J Marston says. Titans actually did quite well and got it's Season 2 renewal as it turned out to be much better than people expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭Evade

I have to ask, why is skin colour not an acceptable criteria to cast for a pre-existing character?

Evade wrote: »
    I have to ask, why is skin colour not an acceptable criteria to cast for a pre-existing character?

Something something PC agenda. Something something SJW. Something something role model

Something something PC agenda. Something something SJW. Something something role model
    So no answer then?

So no answer then?

Skin colour is certainly important, but only really when it's a defining part of the character. In this case, they've hired two actresses to play Yenn and Triss with a slightly different skin colour, which has no real impact on the actual characters themselves. If the actresses cast looked like Grace Jones, then maybe I'd get the problem.

Now, if they took a character like Ron Weasely and cast an Asian kid with black hair, that would directly go against a set character trait. Same can be said about Shaft, being a black cop was part of the definition of the character.

edit: Also, I believe Triss' hair colour is more of a chestnut brown rather than ginger in the books, but I don't recall people complaining about CDPR changing it in the game.

Skin colour is certainly important, but only really when it's a defining part of the character. In this case, they've hired two actresses to play Yenn and Triss with a slightly different skin colour, which has no real impact on the actual characters themselves. If the actresses cast looked like Grace Jones, then maybe I'd get the problem.
    Valid point, but could the same not be said for any of the other physical criteria you listed? As far as I know Yenn being a little short or having that shape face aren't that important either. There's nothing inherently wrong with someone wanting to stay true to the source material.

• Advertisement

I could be wrong about how Titans did financially (perhaps finding a different audience?) I just remember all teen titans (some of the best presentation of that series) fans being dissapointed. So it didn't do well with the original fanbase is what I should've phrased it like. That's my main worry with most of hollywood adaptions tbh. They don't have any new ideas and often do wrong to known IPs just so its brand can carry it. The shows standalone are probably not that bad half the time if they were unique ideas but they'd likely not get any traction then.

Lol I just read a comment someone saying it looks like discount game of thrones :D
    Your problem comes down to skin colour.
    That's your obsession not mine. Race is more than skin colour ffs. Half indian is not what my mind goes to when thinking of Yennefer from the bloody Polish Witcher IP. What are you even arguing for anyway? Netflix has good casting history? Maybe it's all just opinion but then it's my opinion that hollywood couldn't cast a shadow correctly when it comes to adaptions, especially video game adaptions (agent 47 :()

WU0Y2mZ.jpg

UA2GNuu.jpg

PYZYYVd.png

And what images comes across your mind when you hear "Witcher Elves"? This?

bkRYQIF.jpg

Again unrecognisable as witcher if someone didn't tell me. Hollywood quality right there although I'll admit it IS just promotional material but I still remember the pocket-money budgeted cosplayers outside Ghost In The Shell movie debut literally looked more like the characters from the animated movie & show than the live action blockbuster managed to whip up with all its millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

If the actresses cast looked like Grace Jones, then maybe I'd get the problem.

I f***king doubt that :D

Valid point, but could the same not be said for any of the other physical criteria you listed? As far as I know Yenn being a little short or having that shape face aren't that important either. There's nothing inherently wrong with someone wanting to stay true to the source material.

I actually do get the problem and frankly I'd rather they stuck to the source material as much as possible. Does anyone else remember the complaints about Peter Dinklages Tyrion not being malformed enough and it broke the source material? I certainly do, and he carried the show for seasons with some fantastic acting.

I do take issue with the not-so-subtle racism coming from certain posters (not you).

Frankly I'd much rather a focus the best performer for the role and sticking accurately to the storyline itself.

I could be wrong about how Titans did financially (perhaps finding a different audience?) I just remember all teen titans (some of the best presentation of that series) fans being dissapointed. So it didn't do well with the original fanbase is what I should've phrased it like. That's my main worry with most of hollywood adaptions tbh. They don't have any new ideas and often do wrong to known IPs just so its brand can carry it. The shows standalone are probably not that bad half the time if they were unique ideas but they'd likely not get any traction then.

You're indeed wrong. Initially the show was lambasted during the trailers and early announcements. However, when the show actually came out the reviews of it were very positive, and even I admitted my initial thoughts were wrong.

That's your obsession not mine. Race is more than skin colour ffs. Half indian is not what my mind goes to when thinking of Yennefer from the bloody Polish Witcher IP. What are you even arguing for anyway? Netflix has good casting history? Maybe it's all just opinion but then it's my opinion that hollywood couldn't cast a shadow correctly when it comes to adaptions, especially video game adaptions (agent 47 :()

You quite literally just proven your problem is with the skin colour of the actresses chosen.

Henry Cavill is a Brit, why aren't you annoyed they didn't cast a Polish actor?

IMO Netflix casting can be hit and miss, sometimes great and sometimes awful.

Because he looks like Geralt :rolleyes:
    You quite literally just proven your problem is with the skin colour of the actresses chosen.
    My problem is with them not looking like they've been known to look. You're the race-obsessed weirdo.

Lol I just read a comment someone saying it looks like discount game of thrones :D

WU0Y2mZ.jpg

UA2GNuu.jpg

PYZYYVd.png

And what images comes across your mind when you hear "Witcher Elves"? This?

bkRYQIF.jpg

Again unrecognisable as witcher if someone didn't tell me. Hollywood quality right there although I'll admit it IS just promotional material but I still remember the pocket-money budgeted cosplayers outside Ghost In The Shell movie debut literally looked more like the characters from the animated movie & show than the live action blockbuster managed to whip up with all its millions.
    It's a TV series BASED on the books. They have artistic licence to do whatever they like and improve on the books where they see fit particularly in ethnic diversity and lets face it there is lots of room for improvement. Apart from that, who really gives a Fk.

Personally, I think she looks deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,183 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Because he looks like Geralt :rolleyes:

My problem is with them not looking like they've been known to look. You're the race-obsessed weirdo.

Reign it in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

So long as she either introduces herself or someone refers to her as Yennefer so I know she's the one playing Yennefer, could not give a f*ck what race she is. If she's a good actress and the producers/showrunners felt she can portray the character the best, go for it.

Her race/ethnicity doesn't make a difference to the story or character. It's not integral to anything. It doesn't matter.

I'll reserve my judgement of her performance until I see her performance, rather than judge her based on the colour of her skin.

IMO Netflix casting can be hit and miss, sometimes great and sometimes awful.

If the reason they cast Henry was that the showrunners considered the lack of white Englishmen in the source material to be problematic.... then you might have had a point :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Why are people acting like the Witcher is set in a real world setting????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

ERG89 wrote: »

What? You mean you havent come across any cave trolls, noonwraiths, ice elemental on your travels?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Reign it in there.
    Oh well excuse me. He literally suggest I'm racist. A very serious accusation. But I call him a weirdo and now its gone too far? Whatever. Enjoy your show.

ERG89 wrote: »

Why are people having to be deliberately obtuse to try make a point? :)

Oh well excuse me. He literally suggest I'm racist. A very serious accusation. But I call him a weirdo and now its gone too far? Whatever. Enjoy your show.
    I don't think the argument has anything to do with racism. We all know the characters are white as fk, the argument is why it matters that the show has decided to go with a more diverse casting? As in why should they stick rigidly to the book and game when they can improve upon it and make it better?

It of course remains to be seen whether the characters are actually an improvement but from what we have so far which is basically looks alone, I'm happy with the direction they are going so far. Early days yet obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Lacks slav.

Really hope they used the same music artists cdpr did. Really gave the world character.

Because people bring their real world BS into things that are supposed to be fun.
    Like the writing staff?
    Penn wrote: »
    could not give a f*ck what race she is
    Then you're at odds with Netflix hiring practices because they do care what race their cast is and actively audition with discrimination to hire "BAME" aka "please no white people".
    saying you're un subscribing it goes beyond that initial jarring reaction and suggests something deeper.
    Oh, someone dares not spend money on X corporate product, there must be a deep reason for this that is disturbing to me.

I'm not the only one: Netflix lost $17 billion

FYI I've never had a netflix subscription. I mentioned I wasn't subbing for this, not unsubbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Then you're at odds with Netflix hiring practices because they do care what race their cast is and actively audition with discrimination to hire "BAME" aka "please no white people".

Funny how the very thing you link to conflicts with the point you were making.

The only casting call for The Witcher on that list was for the role of Ciri. It clearly says "Options Required". So it would appear that rather than "please no white people", they had already seen several "white people" for the role and they were just looking for alternatives. In the end, they cast Freya Allen; a white person.

Even if they did cast a BAME girl (never heard that term before but we'll go with it for now), I wouldn't care, so long as she can give an excellent performance. By putting out the casting call you linked to before, that clearly shows that that's what Netflix were most interested in too. Not just limiting themselves to actresses who look like the character, but ensuring they're hiring someone who can best portray the character. That's more important imo. If that means they find someone who suits the character best in both looks and acting, great. If they have to go with someone who doesn't look exactly like the character was described in the source material but who can best portray the character overall, great, because that's more important than their skin colour.

Advertisement