Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Carol25

Bright, pleasant, sun in and out of the clouds. Maybe around 21c. Quite breezy which gives it a fresher feeling, south of Athenry.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Lovely light mist here. Better day than expected. We got little rain so far this month in Kilkenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Dull as ditch water in Arklow with drizzle if anyone wants to drive down from Dublin to get me
    You'll have a break from the heat its 17.1c

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Roasting in Dublin 8. Station is like a furnace

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Slightly off topic but am i correct in saying that Casement averages both warmest conditions in Summer and Coldest in Winter? Maybe one for Sryan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Pretty murky day here in Limk. 19.6c atm in a blustery Southerly wind.

Looks like November, grey with low cloud. A bit disappointing so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Some places in the country have received more than 30mm in a day on more than one occasion this month.
    In Kilkenny we still have not even received 30mm for the month.
    17.3C here too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,059 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

24 degrees in the Phoenix park currently. Going nicely. 26.6 was the highest yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭mouseybrown

Left glorious sunny weather in Dublin to visit brittas bay where it is cold damp dull and windy!! Typical

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Left glorious sunny weather in Dublin to visit brittas bay where it is cold damp dull and windy!! Typical

How do ye think I feel? I’ve left glorious Dublin for the misty west and probably miss the lightning storm of the century tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

When is this wind going to F off
    It’s ridiculous again today
    Too humid to leave windows closed
    Too windy to even open the door without the whole house slamming shut

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SophieLockhart

18.9 minimum yesterday in Shannon... must be one of the highest minima ever. Syran?

pad199207 wrote: »
    How do ye think I feel? I’ve left glorious Dublin for the misty west and probably miss the lightning storm of the century tonight

You know where to stream that live on Twitter later tonight,yeah? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

pad199207 wrote: »

say what?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Looks like a cracker in Dublin, of course I'm away for it. Are we talking riots in Portmarnock level weather?

lawred2 wrote: »
    say what?

Theres only a small possibility including in Dublin overnight,see the thunder thread
    If there is,I'll throw up a live video but its low likelihood
    Clouds thinning a bit now in Arklow suns poking through, might see a 20 today,gas thing is,it might still be warmer at midnight than it is now down here
    Currently 18.3c
    Dew point 16c

Dew point so close to air temp is a welcoming environment for visiting thunderstorms spawned elsewhere,but will they come?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭highdef

km79 wrote: »
    When is this wind going to F off
    It’s ridiculous again today
    Too humid to leave windows closed
    Too windy to even open the door without the whole house slamming shut

Door stops are your friend in that situation but if the temperature outside is already warmer than inside, opening any doors or windows will only increase the internal temperature. Keep curtains closed on windows facing the sun too.

The above probably only applies to the Dublin/Meath area right now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Much cooler in West Clare today, despite a sunny morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭pauldry

A min ....yes min....of 18.6c last night in Sligo

Max 24.1c

Thats a daily average temp of 21.3c!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Just back from a week in Spain where it was about 35 degrees and very humid, just stepping outside would make you sweat!

Currently about 17 degrees here in cork city with grey skies and a bit of wind. Meh. Sad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Just back from a week in Spain where it was about 35 degrees and very humid, just stepping outside would make you sweat!

Currently about 17 degrees here in cork city with grey skies and a bit of wind. Meh. Sad

At least you had the last week good. It’s another rubbish day here today cloudy misty and dark. I’m all over the midlands today and it’s replicated from Laois Kildare into Offaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Slightly off topic but am i correct in saying that Casement averages both warmest conditions in Summer and Coldest in Winter? Maybe one for Sryan

Naturally, inland stations will be warmer in summer and colder in winter than coastal stations though there is a UHI effect for urban based stations like Phoenix Park and then there's stations like Shannon Airport which has been a highly debatable station since the June 2018 heatwave (rightly so).

Shannon easily has the highest summer mean temperature (1981-2010) of 15.6c whilst Knock Airport has a summer mean temperature of 13.3c (which is not surprising given the fact that it is on a hill if I remember correctly). In terms of Dublin stations, Phoenix Park has the slight edge over Casement Aerodrome due to the UHI effect that I mentioned with a summer mean temperature of 14.8c whilst Casement has 14.7c.

Mullingar has the coldest winter mean temperature (with the exception of Knock Airport) with 4.7c whilst Sherkin Island has the warmest at 7.7c. In terms of Dublin stations, Casement Aerodrome is the coldest with a mean temperature of 5.2c.
    18.9 minimum yesterday in Shannon... must be one of the highest minima ever. Syran?

In terms of the current 25 synoptic stations, it is indeed and it's the highest since 20 July 2013. Highest minima on record using these stations' data:

1. 19.3c on 20 July 2013 (Belmullet)
    2. 19.0c on 14 July 1983 (Cork Airport)
    2b. 19.0c on 2 August 1995 (Roches Point)
    2c. 19.0c on 3 August 1995 (Shannon Airport)
    3. 18.9c on 22 July 2019 (Shannon Airport)
    4. 18.6c on 13 July 1983 (Shannon Airport)
    5. 18.5c on 2 July 1976 (Belmullet)
    5b. 18.5c on 23 August 2003 (Shannon Airport)

18.4c at Phoenix Park as a minimum on 6th September 2016.. no wonder why I hated that night.

Data from Met Éireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Stunning morning. Donegal. Plenty wind on the Wild Atlantic West but don't need jacket. Warm.
    More cloud now at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 10,059 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

2pm

Malin head 25 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

2pm

Malin head 25 degrees

That is really impressive considering Malin Head often seems to lose out on heat no matter what direction the warm weather seems to come from in the summer time. It shares max temperature at 2pm with Phoenix Park currently. I wonder will yesterday's 26.6C Ireland peak at Phoenix Park be surpassed today? It certainly felt warmer today then yesterday at noon when I was out in the city centre as the fairly brisk breeze from yesterday is lacking today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

acequion wrote: »
    Well MidMan you might recall our quarrels re when proper summer starts and my dislike of unseasonal hot weather. That's because I really go for it during the three summer months.

But for all my love of travel there really is nowhere like home. If only we got summers many of us wouldn't budge.:)

You must be a secondary school teacher to have that much annual leave!!! :eek::eek: JEALOUS!:p

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Not a cloud to be seen in Dublin 16. 25.0c atm. :)

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Not a cloud to be seen in Dublin 16. 25.0c atm. :)

Stunning day in Arklow now too
    Wowing at the difference on 2hrs ago
    Gin blue sky
    Currently 21c,that's a 4c increase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Brief brightening about lunchtime but the sky just shrugged its shoulders and clouded over again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Another mostly overcast day in Castlebar but still feeling warm at 22.6C, the humidity thankfully has been lower as well.

Advertisement