Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A big improvement on yesterday in terms of sunshine. Very sunny this morning and temperature of 18C.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,989 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Cracking day in North Donegal today.

Nice heat too.

You wouldn't know the school year was approaching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Out here we have a total mist/drizzle out! No mountains, no ocean and to venture outside is to be drenched fast.

Wonderful!

Giving summer 10/10 anyways. each season is itself.

west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    It rarely gets anywhere near 30 in Dublin.

Last summer it was up around 27 and 28 quite a bit. At least it felt that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,666 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Two known dates that 30c was observed in Dublin at an official station was 2 August 1990 and 19 July 2006 so it’s possible but very very rare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 mattyff

Autumn in the air now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Right now in my garden in Dublin its a warm glorious summer day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭4Ad

Beautiful in East Clare, 21 degrees...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

I just realised that I recorded 30 on the 28th June last year. But there weren't very many 27s or 28s over the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,989 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

NIMAN wrote: »
    Cracking day in North Donegal today.

Nice heat too.

You wouldn't know the school year was approaching.

And within an hour it has clouded over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Not a regular in the weather forum but is there any way to check weather of dates gone by this year or in years past, specifically rainfall? i.e if I wanted to check how much it rained on a specific date last year.

Not a regular in the weather forum but is there any way to check weather of dates gone by this year or in years past, specifically rainfall? i.e if I wanted to check how much it rained on a specific date last year.
    https://www.met.ie/climate/available-data/daily-data
    https://www.met.ie/climate/available-data/historical-data

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭compsys

highdef wrote: »
    1/10 + 7/10 + 3/10 ÷ 3 = 3/10, rounded to the nearest whole number. How did you get 5/10 from your individual ratings for each month?

You could also argue that different weightings should apply to different months. With higher values attributed to the traditionally warmer months of July and August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Athenry has had 227mm of rain thus far in August (average Aug is 107mm).

Dublin Airport 89mm thus far (average 73mm)

The rainfall difference between east and west is huge.

Funnily the washout day on saturday Aug 10th had only 27mm of rain there with the vast majority recorded over just 2 hours in the afternoon.

Thanks for that link syran.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Dull and overcast in Castlebar, temperatures are struggling to break 15C here today.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Athenry has had 227mm of rain thus far in August (average Aug is 107mm).

Dublin Airport 89mm thus far (average 73mm)

Funnily the washout day on saturday Aug 10th had only 27mm of rain there with the vast majority recorded over just 2 hours in the afternoon.

Thanks for that link syran.

I have found in the last 10 year or so that outside of the winter months August has been our wettest month, 11 Augusts straight now of having 100mm of rain or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Was that date your day off by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Phoenix got above 25 degrees 10 times last summer across June, July and August. Above 27 just the 4 times (max 27.7 at a quick glance). Closer to me in Glasnevin it was also 10 days but 5 of those came in August which was outside the really fine summer weather of June and July. Many of those days stayed below 25.

We definitely get it good in Dublin but we do struggle hitting those maxes further inland stations get. It's a consequence of our fine weather usually coming with sea breezes or easterlies.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Every mile west makes a difference. Even here at Dunshaughlin, only 20 minutes from the Airport and we've had 114mm of rain, a difference of about 26mm from the Airport.

Phoenix Park is lower still at only 66mm, close to half the amount of rainfall of places just down the road.

• Advertisement

John.Icy wrote: »
    Phoenix got above 25 degrees 10 times last summer across June, July and August. Above 27 just the 4 times (max 27.7 at a quick glance). Closer to me in Glasnevin it was also 10 days but 5 of those came in August which was outside the really fine summer weather of June and July. Many of those days stayed below 25.

We definitely get it good in Dublin but we do struggle hitting those maxes further inland stations get. It's a consequence of our fine weather usually coming with sea breezes or easterlies.

Dublin rarely exceeds 25C unless there is exceptional circumstances such as direct hit high pressure, high upper air temperatures, no Atlantic fronts trying to break through and light offshore winds usually from a ssw direction.

The easterly breezes usually keeps Dublin several degrees cooler in the summer and up to 5 or 6C cooler in May when there is high pressure with easterly breezes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

And the differences within the west is even huger. Only 71.4mm in Belmullet, making it the second driest station (and only marginally higher than PP) in the entire country this August so far.

Will be interesting to see if Athenry will break its August rainfall records this year, though personally, I think it will fall way short.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Beautiful afternoon here after a cloudy morning. Blue skies and sunshine and lovely and warm.

Xenji wrote: »
    Dull and overcast in Castlebar, temperatures are struggling to break 15C here today.

Yep. Apart from some sunny periods yesterday afternoon, its been dull & drizzly the last few days in contrast to the East.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Another absolute cracker of a day
    Drove from Kilkenny to Arklow in wall to wall Sun

Big line of bath towels dried in two hours ! Thats my measure of a good summers day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Stunning day, was in Fort Lucan earlier with the kids for a few hours, stopped off in dunshauglin for dinner and now home and off out to football, great day and plenty of sun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Dark, grey and cool in Letterkenny all day after some brief sunshine this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Left North Kerry this morning under blanket cloud and threat of rain.. and car saying 16 degrees

By Limerick it was 22 degrees doing motorway driving according to the car. And blue skies all the way from about Moneygall to Dublin.

I simply could not be doing with the weather down there. Crap all weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,474 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Absolutely beautiful day in Kilkenny- probably the best of this little settled spell (so far).

Marvelous evening after a good day in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭acequion

lawred2 wrote: »
    Left North Kerry this morning under blanket cloud and threat of rain.. and car saying 16 degrees

By Limerick it was 22 degrees doing motorway driving according to the car. And blue skies all the way from about Moneygall to Dublin.

I simply could not be doing with the weather down there. Crap all weekend.

We have awful weather here in Kerry and that's a fact. Yet no doubt you'll get people saying it's not really that bad.

Just as in the east coast you have people raving about their marvelous climate, while the reports from others are much more balanced, and from my own experiences of frequent sojourns in Dublin, I tend to heed the latter.

Regardless, home is home, wherever in this island that might be. Not a bad evening here in Tralee, but overcast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Fell like I’ve been living on a diff planet the last month looking at majority of posts on here

today was easily the best day of this settled spell with mostly unbroken sunshine since daybreak. temperatures were down on the past few days but we still managed to scrape a respectable 20C. Temperature currently 17C.

I passed a playground at 7:45 this evening full of kids enjoying the last rays of sunshine . Gorgeous day here in Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,474 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I sometimes notice a kind of chilly dampness in the air when I go west. Hard to explain but I feel it! Definitely slightly different climate to the south east

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

acequion wrote: »
    We have awful weather here in Kerry and that's a fact. Yet no doubt you'll get people saying it's not really that bad.

Just as in the east coast you have people raving about their marvelous climate, while the reports from others are much more balanced, and from my own experiences of frequent sojourns in Dublin, I tend to heed the latter.

Regardless, home is home, wherever in this island that might be. Not a bad evening here in Tralee, but overcast.

Having lived in Cork for twenty or so years and with my sister over in Tralee, I can objectively say that it's definitely drier and more benign up here.

Having said that this summer has been bang average. June and August were crap and July was just about grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Bitterly cold in north county Dublin. I'm just walking through the freezer department of Tesco now, I've had to put my jumper on. :pac::pac::pac:
    Nice evening outside. Very mild with no wind. :)

MidMan25 wrote: »
    You'd want to be sojourning in Dublin at minimum weekly to be in any sort of position to comment on the validity of the weather reports of the people who live there :rolleyes:

As a matter of fact I've been in Dublin at least once a fortnight and sometimes weekly over the past three months so yes I'm very much in a position to comment on Dublin weather having experienced it closely first hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

I do think there are some posters here who greatly exaggerate the weather on the East as being akin to the South of France, which in my opinion it isn’t. Having been in the East while some of these posts appear on this thread, I do often wonder is the weather and actual conditions more subjective than we realise. A good day to one, is a bad day to another it seems.
    Was in Mayo this morning, and it felt really chilly in the northerly wind. Back to Galway in the afternoon, much warmer and drier. The weeks outlook doesn’t look too great according to Rte just there...

• Advertisement

MidMan25 wrote: »
    You've been there approx. 7-8 days in the past 90? This definitely qualifies you to judge, I'd like to retract my previous statement.

Dublin does happen to be the main hub in and out of this country to far flung parts and I've travelled a lot this summer. Therefore mainly from Dublin airport and on each occasion staying a night or two other side of the trip to catch up with friends there. So no stranger at all to the big smoke! :pac:

Carol25 wrote: »
    I do think there are some posters here who greatly exaggerate the weather on the East as being akin to the South of France, which in my opinion it isn’t. Having been in the East while some of these posts appear on this thread, I do often wonder is the weather and actual conditions more subjective than we realise. A good day to one, is a bad day to another it seems.
    Was in Mayo this morning, and it felt really chilly in the northerly wind. Back to Galway in the afternoon, much warmer and drier. The weeks outlook doesn’t look too great according to Rte just there...

Absolutely Carol but dare we contradict the established narrative that the east coast is some weather haven.

As I've often said east coast weather is much better than Kerry weather. But imo it's nowhere near as good as posters here claim. I find their posts hyperbolic but good on them if they enjoy it. They just need to appreciate that not everybody agrees.

Like I said in my last post I've been up and down to Dublin constantly this summer and generally go often to Dublin anyway. I used to live there and have friends and family there so ya, even if people don't like it, I am actually there often enough to form an opinion.

An opinion, which though subjective, is valid like everybody else's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I split my time between my place in North Mayo and the day job in Dublin. For the West I would rate this summer as 3.5/10 - never really got going and we didn't even have our traditional easterly warm spell at the end of May/start of June this year:(

In contrast I would give the East(Dublin Summer) a 7/10 - most of June was poor but it really picked up in July and into August and the last few days have been great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Really feeling the evenings closing in now, was already getting dark at 8pm this evening, only feels like a couple of weeks ago when it was still bright at 10 o'clock.

Rain here for the past 90 minutes and watching the forecast just now its not going to get much better for the rest of the week

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Mod Note: Goading and name calling won't be tolerated in any posts. The necessary warnings will be handed out if this line of posting continues. Lets keep it civil going forward.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Really feeling the evenings closing in now, was already getting dark at 8pm this evening, only feels like a couple of weeks ago when it was still bright at 10 o'clock.

Rain here for the past 90 minutes and watching the forecast just now its not going to get much better for the rest of the week

Yes... I'm looking forward to the autumn season. Its my favourite. And I won't be sad to say goodbye to this sticky humid neither here nor there weather.

Not a bad summer, but I've found the nights too warm.

Bring on the crispy mornings and beautiful tree leaves. Time for foraging mushrooms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭OldRio

Overcast all day in Leitrim. At least it never rained. The ground is saturated.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note: acequion has received warnings for this line of posting which they were told was not acceptable as it is goading and trolling for negative responses and dragging the thread off topic.

but dare we contradict the established narrative that the east coast is some weather haven.
    But imo it's nowhere near as good as posters here claim. I find their posts hyperbolic but good on them if they enjoy it. They just need to appreciate that not everybody agrees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭compsys

Absolutely Carol but dare we contradict the established narrative that the east coast is some weather haven.

As I've often said east coast weather is much better than Kerry weather. But imo it's nowhere near as good as posters here claim. I find their posts hyperbolic but good on them if they enjoy it. They just need to appreciate that not everybody agrees.

Like I said in my last post I've been up and down to Dublin constantly this summer and generally go often to Dublin anyway. I used to live there and have friends and family there so ya, even if people don't like it, I am actually there often enough to form an opinion.

An opinion, which though subjective, is valid like everybody else's.

Statistically the east is warmer, drier and sunnier than the west. That’s just a fact.

This summer has been OK in Dublin by Irish standards and I’m sure the stats will show the east and Dublin in particular had far better weather than the west.

I’ve lost count of the number of days in Dublin where it touched 20 degrees and stayed mostly dry, albeit cloudy, while those further west were drenched and only got to 17 degrees or so.

However I don’t think there are many posters in here claiming that Dublin is the new Costa del Sol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Today has easily the best day since I returned on the 9th!

• Advertisement
Advertisement