Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,973 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Its just so dull in cork the last 2 weeks, its depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

rob316 wrote: »

Those are the summers I remember from my time in Cork City

Then you head down to West Cork and it's often like a different part of the world

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Wet, cloudy and about 17 degrees here in cork city. Enjoy it while you can, east coasters.

Yes this last 4 or 5 days have been very disappointing for us down here, in terms of sunshine. Hopefully it will brighten up later today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Cork City dull dark drizzle p1sh.
    Forecast here for the next week is cloud and p1sh every day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

lawred2 wrote: »
    Those are the summers I remember from my time in Cork City

Then you head down to West Cork and it's often like a different part of the world

Most of the time it's raining there aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Yesterdays highest temperature was 25.7 degrees at Malin head. A station that rarely gets into the 20s.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

tomorrow is the day the furnace gets switched on for the UK. Ireland still looks good with temperatures of 23C or 24C possible across many areas away from the south coast which will remain cooler.

arpegeuk-41-40-0.png?24-06

Friday shows a similar picture for the east and north of the country with mid 20's possible. Much cooler across the south and west

arpegeuk-41-63-0.png?24-06

Saturday still looks good for the east with low 20's, Phoenix Park perhaps getting the maximum temperature. The UK heatwave is over by this stage.

arpegeuk-41-87-0.png?24-06

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Yesterdays highest temperature was 25.7 degrees at Malin head. A station that rarely gets into the 20s.

Warmest day at Malin Head since 19 July 2006 (25.9c) and sixth warmest day on record at the station back to 1955.

1. 24 Aug 1955 - 27.1c
    2. 1 Jul 1976 - 27.0c
    3. 25 Aug 1955 - 26.8c
    4. 11 Aug 1997 - 25.9c
    4b. 19 Jul 2006 - 25.9c
    5. 15 Jun 1957 - 25.8c
    6. 23 Jul 2019 - 25.7c

Data from Met Éireann.

What is the UK high temperature record again? Going by those charts it may come under threat tomorrow.

What is the UK high temperature record again? Going by those charts it may come under threat tomorrow.

38.5c on 10th August 2003. It has been the big story on social media recently (along with Boris Johnson being elected).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

sryanbruen wrote: »
    38.5c on 10th August 2003. It has been the big story on social media recently (along with Boris Johnson being elected).

Wouldn’t surprise me at all if the record is broken in the UK tomorrow. Maybe somewhere in Kent?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

esposito wrote: »
    Wouldn’t surprise me at all if the record is broken in the UK tomorrow. Maybe somewhere in Kent?

Heathrow may be the best bet

The July record is only 36.7c (from 1 July 2015) so that will probably be smashed - in the same year that the February record of 19.7c was smashed (along with the first winter 20c/21c in recorded history). It's a different ball game to beat the all-time record but definitely a reasonably high chance.

Faversham, Kent recorded that 38.5c in 2003 and Kew Gardens also had 38.1c on the same day. Even if they don't beat the all-time record (which I think is more unlikely than likely considering cloud cover will be relatively minimal for the ideal time of temperature peaks), I think it'll be a very historical day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Overcast again in Castlebar for the third straight day this week, but at least it has been dry, over 20C each day and you can get outside and do things.

The lack of sunshine is really noticeable in the garden, plenty of buds on the plants but nothing has bloomed in about 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Broadstairs would be a good shout, used to go to the beach there a lot when I was living in Kent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

It's mostly cloudy here but it's 23.7C after an earlier high of 24.6C.

Has Paris reached 41C yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭highdef

Mobhi1 wrote: »

Probably not:

https://tgftp.nws.noaa.gov/weather/current/LFPG.html

https://tgftp.nws.noaa.gov/weather/current/LFPO.html

Some unofficial stations in the city are reading at or slightly above 40c. Whilst it's possible some of them may be accurate, I'm not sure if there are any official synoptic stations in Paris city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

The July record is only 36.7c (from 1 July 2015) so that will probably be smashed - in the same year that the February record of 19.7c was smashed (along with the first winter 20c/21c in recorded history). It's a different ball game to beat the all-time record but definitely a reasonably high chance.

Faversham, Kent recorded that 38.5c in 2003 and Kew Gardens also had 38.1c on the same day. Even if they don't beat the all-time record (which I think is more unlikely than likely considering cloud cover will be relatively minimal for the ideal time of temperature peaks), I think it'll be a very historical day.

A disturbing day aswell imo!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

Mobhi1 wrote: »

Paris was only forecast to breach 40 tomorrow. The max high forecast for today was “only” around 37.

In other news, the Netherlands and Belgium have recorded their highest temperatures on record today which may be beaten again tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/1154069167185809410

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

rob316 wrote: »

Just seeing this now. The last week maybe but I think we probably got the best weather in the country for the few weeks before that. Many a day it was sunny here in Cork but when I looged on to this forum that was not the case in much of the country. By Irish standards a very nice summer in Cork so far.

In other news, the Netherlands and Belgium have recorded their highest temperatures on record today which may be beaten again tomorrow.

When were those previous temperature records for Holland and Belgium set?
    In any case the 40C barrier may very well be broken tomorrow in those two countries combined with the mid 40sC that have already happened in France this summer. And yet some people still claim that global warming is a myth.

When were those previous temperature records for Holland and Belgium set?
    In any case the 40C barrier may very well be broken tomorrow in those two countries. combined with the mid 40sC that have already happened in France. And yet some people still claim that global warming is a myth.
    Netherlands was 38.6c in August 1944. Belgium was 38.8c in June 1947.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Dull and threatening rain in Letterkenny all afternoon but staying dry so far. Feeling warm again, while it's hardly been spectacular the past three days have been by far the best run we've had all month. Only the second time all summer we've had a few days of dry warm weather after the spell at the end of June.

Still no sun though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

There's darkish grey cloud to the west; some patches of blue sky to the east. It's currently 21.1C.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Breezy and a little bit overcast in Malahide. Definitely a little cooler.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Dull and threatening rain in Letterkenny all afternoon but staying dry so far. Feeling warm again, while it's hardly been spectacular the past three days have been by far the best run we've had all month. Only the second time all summer we've had a few days of dry warm weather after the spell at the end of June.

Still no sun though :(

Most enjoyable two days of sunshine in Downings Bay especially yesterday. High cloud this evening in NE Galway. Warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Kutebride wrote: »
    Most enjoyable two days of sunshine in Downings Bay especially yesterday. High cloud this evening in NE Galway. Warm.

Yep, fair play you picked probably the two best days we had all summer :D

Must take a day trip up there some weekend, haven't been in Downings in years

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Arpege going for 39º in London tomorrow. Nuts.

I haven't seen the sun in four days in Cork, its been just a solid wall of cloud and depressing as it is I'd rather the 19º we're getting tomorrow over the 39º, any day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

23C again acorrding to my phone in Dunshaughlin today, looking at the month so far, most days have reached at least 20C this July, but rarely going above 22C, so a nice warm month so far with no excessive heat at any stage. Next few days looks like a continuation of low 20's but maybe not that much sunshine. I'll be home next Tuesday so looking at the first week of August with much interest to see what I'm in store for.

Advertisement