Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel's Black Widow

• 23-07-2019 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 60,179 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Black Widow teaser trailer is due to be released next week as a bonus feature on the Endgame release on Digital and Blu Ray.

The trailer was shown in a behind closed doors screening at Comic Con.

Filming started a few weeks ago.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭El Duda

Hoping that this will be completely stand alone, send off for Scarlett and it doesn't involve bringing her back from the dead for future installments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Honestly, this is probably the first Marvel movie I have zero interest in. Maybe there's been a longstanding burning need from audiences to get a backstory but I just never went there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

A few minutes introduction of the cast from San Diego Comic Con 2019

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,717 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Feels like this film is coming out about 5 years too late; and just on a personal level I find it hard to invest myself in stories after I've seen the character die. Prefer to just move on than wedge in prequels.

I'd like to see a 'proper' stripped down MCU film, on a par with Agents of SHIELD (pre budget slashing); a spy thriller with only some MCU elements on the fringe of the story. The MCU has kinda shot itself way past the point of 'realism', but a Black Widow film shunted back into the Winter Soldier / Iron Man 1 levels of tech-fantasy would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I'd like to see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is Hawkeye and Hulk in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,995 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

She's hot, so I'll watch it at some point

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is Hawkeye and Hulk in this?

Maybe not. Feels like it's an origin story.

Saying that.. Avengers: Endgame
    time travel and all that.. I dunno

• Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Slydice wrote: »
    Maybe not. Feels like it's an origin story.

Saying that.. Avengers: Endgame
    time travel and all that.. I dunno

I thought as a prequel Hawkeye would be in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Surely Budapest has to be in it!

Surely Budapest has to be in it!

Scarlett has mentioned Budapest in an interview :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60,179 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Trailer was shown at D23 so expect it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭fluke

Okay so one of two things will happen by the end of this movie
    • It will be (at the very least) teased that Scarlet Johansson will return to the post-Endgame timeline

or

• Florence Pugh will take on the BW mantle

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,717 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oof those accents :D

If it weren't for the costumes (and maybe some of that CGI destruction), you'd not necessarily guess this was set in the MCU; should be an interesting palette cleanser from the blue-sky super-heroics, I've always wanted to see a little more cinematic action from ground level.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

pixelburp wrote: »
    Oof those accents :D

If it weren't for the costumes (and maybe some of that CGI destruction), you'd not necessarily guess this was set in the MCU; should be an interesting palette cleanser from the blue-sky super-heroics, I've always wanted to see a little more cinematic action from ground level.

Hopefully the hand to hand action scenes aren't filmed as over-cut and jumpy as the trailer makes it seem. Hand to hand action scenes are a bit like magic tricks - camera cuts and jumps just break the flow of whats going on and make the whole thing feel disjointed and cheap. Marvel need to get the guys who choreographed the Raid, John Wick or Upgrade and film more proper one-shot/steady-cam action scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Hopefully the hand to hand action scenes aren't filmed as over-cut and jumpy as the trailer makes it seem. Hand to hand action scenes are a bit like magic tricks - camera cuts and jumps just break the flow of whats going on and make the whole thing feel disjointed and cheap. Marvel need to get the guys who choreographed the Raid, John Wick or Upgrade and film more proper one-shot/steady-cam action scenes.

The ones in the Winter Soldier are pretty good:

They're still fairly choppy, but not to the point where it confuses the action or really makes you feel like it's trying to mask anything.

I can't say I've been looking forward to this much, but seeing BW with Harbour and co doing a sort of Commie Avengers thing, could make it worth it on its own merits.

It's just a bit puzzling they couldn't squeeze it in any time since Age of Ultron.
    Johansson is the biggest actress in the world. Not sure why it took until after Endgame for them to decide she could carry her own vehicle. Maybe Captain Marvel had to make a billion dollars first before they chanced it?

I just wish they could've hired some Russians for the leading roles.

The top comment on the trailer
    When Hopper actually did end up in the Russian prison...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Gbear wrote: »
    The ones in the Winter Soldier are pretty good:

They're still fairly choppy, but not to the point where it confuses the action or really makes you feel like it's trying to mask anything.

Compare the knife fight in your clip (2.05 to 2.20 in your clip) to the behind the scenes filming of the exact same scene:

Your clip has random close ups, shot/reverse shots, while the behind the scenes footage is from a distance showing the whole fight clearly (including how that cool knife toss was in the middle of an extended choreographed sequence).
    I really like the MCU movies, and Winter Soldier is probably the least worst for this, but it is inexcusable for the behind the scenes footage filmed on a phone is far superior to what went into the actual movie. Its particularly egregious when, as shown by the behind the scenes footage in Winter Solider, they didn't actually have much they needed to mask anyway.

• Advertisement

The now defunct Every Frame a Painting channel did an excellent video on the differences between filming martial arts in the West, and in Asian film; unfortunately the "video is no longer available" for some reason :( but the jist of it came down to the editing & cuts: that western cinema LOVES cutting the action 'cos it's often about the visceral impact trying to be achieved; whereas the other approach is effectively to glory in the performance and athleticism of the actors, holding the shot and letting the fights speak for themselves.

The latter has definitely started to encroach into how fight scenes are filmed in Western action cinema, when you look at John Wick, MI:Fallout, and a few others. But I don't think that's part of the MCU's modus operandi and approach so have a feeling all those fast cuts from the trailer will be part of the final film too.

More disappointed about the lame looking "parachuting" between the CGI debris.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Is this not just more of the exact same that's gone before? Swap out some Avengers, keep one and add some new people in capes... go after the baddies who did this to you...

Endgame my arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Compare the knife fight in your clip (2.05 to 2.20 in your clip) to the behind the scenes filming of the exact same scene:

Your clip has random close ups, shot/reverse shots, while the behind the scenes footage is from a distance showing the whole fight clearly (including how that cool knife toss was in the middle of an extended choreographed sequence).
    I really like the MCU movies, and Winter Soldier is probably the least worst for this, but it is inexcusable for the behind the scenes footage filmed on a phone is far superior to what went into the actual movie. Its particularly egregious when, as shown by the behind the scenes footage in Winter Solider, they didn't actually have much they needed to mask anyway.

Chris Evans is something else to be fair that he can actually do all that stuff hat's off

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭jface187

I probably go see it as it's a Marvel film, but I won't be rushing out the door. They might be pushing there luck with this one. So are there no Russian actors that could do one of the main roles? We have two Brit's and a Yank doing Russian accents. The only other Marvel film in 2020 is Eternals? guess there taking a breather.

Dades wrote: »
    Is this not just more of the exact same that's gone before? Swap out some Avengers, keep one and add some new people in capes... go after the baddies who did this to you...

Endgame my arse!

And the rumour mill is suggesting that a previously dead Avenger will be cameo'ing, using the Power of Prequel!

Any truth to the rumour that Red Guardian is Hopper from Stranger Things?

He went to Russia in the end but we never saw a body...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Any truth to the rumour that Red Guardian is Hopper from Stranger Things?

He went to Russia in the end but we never saw a body...

Fan wishful thinking based purely on the fact that's it's the same actor.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

this didn't really excite me and the smallest thing marvel normally does!!

• Advertisement

The thought occurs that maybe
    this film will be a tragedy where her sister dies.. maybe heroicly ..and Black Widow starts dying her hair to her sisters colour after

Advertisement