Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

More furniture and objects have blown over in my garden today than in some of those storms during the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Its so blustery down here today!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Its a nice evening here in Castlebar. Overcast ,but nice and warm. Lovely to get out and about .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Plenty of water flowing in the Smearlagh river in Lyeracrompane Co Kerry today after yesterdays rain. Grand first half of the day but got increasingly cloudy and dull as the day went on, some sunny spells. Got windy along the coast this evening. Hovering around 20C and very humid as others have said.

PSDjuBN.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

More furniture and objects have blown over in my garden today than in some of those storms during the winter.

My clothes line with concrete wheel base blew over twice
    First time ever !!!!!!!
    It would not be put out during proper winter storms thought to be fair
    But it was very windy all day

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

After yesterday's rain its another horrible day in Cork city. Dark grey cloudy p1sh all day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭acequion

Well, as I said earlier in this thread today, and someone else pretty much said the same,it's ideal weather to return to from big continental heat. I came back from Sicily yesterday and am quite frankly delighted with this lovely warmth. Got all my holiday clothes washed and dried in about two hours and spent a lovely while pottering in my garden dead heading my flowers,dressed as I would be abroad and not a hint of chill. Bliss.

But since 3rd June I've only spent two weeks in Ireland and have been really lucky to have warmth here all the way. I go abroad to get my sun so all I want when home is reasonable warmth and I've got it in spades.

That said, if I was home all summer I'd be as frustrated as all the other hot weather lovers here. Constant cloud, when you'd like sunshine and blue skies, can be very oppressive. And yesterday was a deluge here in Kerry but luckily I slept through it having spent most of the previous night in Dublin airport.

So stats are stats and this is indeed a scientific weather channel. But the sheer variety of people's preferences and experiences is what makes it so interesting imo.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

acequion wrote: »
    Well, as I said earlier in this thread today, and someone else pretty much said the same,it's ideal weather to return to from big continental heat. I came back from Sicily yesterday and am quite frankly delighted with this lovely warmth. Got all my holiday clothes washed and dried in about two hours and spent a lovely while pottering in my garden dead heading my flowers,dressed as I would be abroad and not a hint of chill. Bliss.

But since 3rd June I've only spent two weeks in Ireland and have been really lucky to have warmth here all the way. I go abroad to get my sun so all I want when home is reasonable warmth and I've got it in spades.

That said, if I was home all summer I'd be as frustrated as all the other hot weather lovers here. Constant cloud, when you'd like sunshine and blue skies, can be very oppressive. And yesterday was a deluge here in Kerry but luckily I slept through it having spent most of the previous night in Dublin airport.

So stats are stats and this is indeed a scientific weather channel. But the sheer variety of people's preferences and experiences is what makes it so interesting imo.:)

Grand for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭acequion

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Grand for some.

Well MidMan you might recall our quarrels re when proper summer starts and my dislike of unseasonal hot weather. That's because I really go for it during the three summer months.

But for all my love of travel there really is nowhere like home. If only we got summers many of us wouldn't budge.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Joanna’s weather forecast there has got to be the shortest forecast I have seen on rte! She just focused on Monday to Wednesday and that’s it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

esposito wrote: »
    Joanna’s weather forecast there has got to be the shortest forecast I have seen on rte! She just focused on Monday to Wednesday and that’s it.

Tracking of the lp for Thursday is far from nailed down,they won't go into detail yet,if it shifted further westt it might not even make it to the west coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,289 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

ZX7R wrote: »
    Tracking of the lp for Thursday is far from nailed down,they won't go into detail yet,if it shifted further westt it might not even make it to the west coast.

Which would be a good thing right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

21C at 10pm, wind has died down. A very muggy night ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

lawred2 wrote: »
    Which would be a good thing right?

Hopefully
    Little changes on each run can make big difference, but to early to say.
    Could be weather like what we're having at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭appledrop

It's humid alright. I still have windows open. I'd usually have them all closed at this stage with the cooler breeze but not tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Yesterday's national mean minima came in at a whopping 17.3c, which is the highest national minima I can find since the 16.8c that occurred on August 4th, 1981.

Roll on Autumn.

Data from Met Eireann.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

What was the mean minima for 6 Sep 2016 in your records Oneiric 3? That was probably the worst night I have experienced after a day of nearly 27c the previous day stuck in school. Never again please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Heatwave!!! Its misting rain here at the moment! Wexford/wicklow border. Raging as I didnt finish cutting the grass yesterday as it was supposed to be nice today!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

sryanbruen wrote: »
    What was the mean minima for 6 Sep 2016 in your records Oneiric 3? That was probably the worst night I have experienced after a day of nearly 27c the previous day stuck in school. Never again please.
    I couldn't tell you Syran as lost all my personal weather data in Oct 2017 when my laptop hardrive decided to go kaput (I should have backed up my 'WeatherLink' data) but just looking through the national records I have jotted down, Casement recorded a min of just 17.8c that night and Shannon 17.3c. Using the 'IMT' index, the national mean minima was 16.2c on that day.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    Heatwave!!! Its misting rain here at the moment! Wexford/wicklow border. Raging as I didnt finish cutting the grass yesterday as it was supposed to be nice today!

Rarely mentioned on met Éireann but due south of co wexford is sea
    In a southerly as humid as this one,that means you've only 30 or 40 kms to dry out the sea influence,thats worse the closer you are to the coast
    Arklow gets it in a micro climate a lot more often as southerly is a sea breeze here
    It will probably clear up a bit later especially in inland north wexford

The same southerly has dried out hitting Dublin thanks to the Wicklow mountains, the lee of which means sun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Rarely mentioned on met Éireann but due south of co wexford is sea
    In a southerly as humid as this one,that means you've only 30 or 40 kms to dry out the sea influence,thats worse the closer you are to the coast
    Arklow gets it in a micro climate a lot more often as southerly is a sea breeze here
    It will probably clear up a bit later especially in inland north wexford

The same southerly has dried out hitting Dublin thanks to the Wicklow mountains, the lee of which means sun

My parents are gone to Dublin and said it's a lovely day. Had my day all planned based on nice weather but will have to reassess now. Ah well hopefully itll dry up and the sun will appear later in the day. Because we are only 2.5km from the wicklow border if the weather is exciting in the east I'll claim it. However today is just damp and yuk! Lovely for the plants and flowers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

sryanbruen wrote: »

That felt like one of the hottest days that I remember in Dublin. Then again, I'm out of the country for a good bit of the summer usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,077 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Scorching in my south facing Dublin garden . Blinds all down already

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

10am

22 degrees at Newport and Phoenix park already

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

A very mild Min of 16.9c at my station in Waterford but the fact it was cloudy yesterday Heat didn’t build indoors so didn’t feel that unforgettable sleep wise anyway.
    Misty drizzle still here with a temp of 17.7c.
    Hope I’m wrong but I can’t see this cloud shifting any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

It was grey, overcast and meh when I left Kildare at 8am this morning. It's sunny and warm in Dublin. I hope they're getting some of it in Kildare now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

23.2c 76% humidity , partly cloudy

Mediterranean type weather in late September is how i would best describe it

Newcastle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sh'te - low cloud, some drizzle. If we are lucky it'll break at about 6 pm!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

appears to be cloudy at home in Meath and 22C. I don't think yesterday's temperatures will be beaten if it stays mostly cloudy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Cloudy-bright, blustery out here. Warm wind is rather invigorating but not good for my flowers.. Stiff wind.. energizing. no sun and abundant cloud... Excellent walking weather for holiday folk.. and for drying the hay still lying in the high meadows along the exposed north coast..

west mayo offshore

Advertisement