Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The glorious 12th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,285 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The modern north of Ireland is slipping further behind the 26 counties in almost every scale. A once strong economic centre has been run into the ground, division, lack of equality for marginalised groups, lack of bodily autonomy for women, living standards slipping to the worst in western Europe, an average wage of approxomately half that of the rest of the Island, assistance for the unemployed under half, the same with GDP. The north now has 10% of economic output. It is a fiasco

But all that is ok (partitionists ignoring it) as long as we never have to confront what caused it all, the economic stagnation and the conflict/war...a stupid and tragic partitioning of the island. (which btw was done because people were afraid to confront the original paramilitaries who armed themselves)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

blanch152 wrote: »
    If both sides embrace the idea of nation not country, there is no issue. Nation does not need territory, country does.

What exactly is wrong with having your own country? Why should the Irish nation not have its own country?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,040 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I am not sure why you are still talking about things that happened centuries ago in trying to build a modern Northern Ireland.

Why do the OO still commemorate something that happened centuries ago that has no place in a modern Northern Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,302 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    What exactly is wrong with having your own country? Why should the Irish nation not have its own country?

The Zionists wanted their own country, as did the Aryans, the Serbs, the Croats, the Tutsi and Hutu. Nothing wrong with it, except for those who disagreed.

As a nation that claims to be in close touch with its diaspora spread around the world, and a nation that claims a diaspora bigger than the population of this island, why do we need a country? Why does any nation need a country?

The Zionists wanted their own country, as did the Aryans, the Serbs, the Croats, the Tutsi and Hutu. Nothing wrong with it, except for those who disagreed.

As a nation that claims to be in close touch with its diaspora spread around the world, and a nation that claims a diaspora bigger than the population of this island, why do we need a country? Why does any nation need a country?

Because the island we live on has been riven cyclically by it's partition.

• Advertisement

Because the island we live on has been riven cyclically by it's partition.

So has Palestine/Israel. Let's kick the Jews no Palestinians no Jews out? See how that works.

Rwanda has been similarly riven cyclically.

Unity will not bring peace and harmony and will not be paid for with taxes on unicorns and rainbows. It is a fantasy ideal.

So has Palestine/Israel. Let's kick the Jews no Palestinians no Jews out? See how that works.

Rwanda has been similarly riven cyclically.

Unity will not bring peace and harmony and will not be paid for with taxes on unicorns and rainbows. It is a fantasy ideal.

Nobody has ever positied the theory that unity will bring 'peace and harmony' no matter how much you pretend they have.

Unity 'may', bring the best chance we have at peace and harmony, as it will remove that which has caused the most division.

Come a border poll people will be asked which scenario they wish to invest in.

Nobody has ever positied the theory that unity will bring 'peace and harmony' no matter how much you pretend they have.

Why would anyone give up the peace we now have for an uncertain future that even you say won't bring peace and harmony?

Why would anyone give up the peace we now have for an uncertain future that even you say won't bring peace and harmony?

:) You are getting worse than janfebmar and that is saying something, in the way you are so desparate to twist words.

I didn't say 'it won't bring peace and harmony', it may have the best chance to bring peace and harmony. If 'peace and harmony' exists in any modern state.

And please, don't bury your head in the sand again when it suits the partitionist narrative. 157 people have died since the GFA with many many instances of conflict between communities also. We are also faced with partition dragging down the two economies (one catastrophically so) and re-imposing a hard border on the island.

Peace? A 'certain' future? You are having a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,040 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Welcome to Brexit the British government ready to kill the good Friday agreement

• Advertisement

it may have the best chance to bring peace and harmony.

You are all over the place, you have just expounded the textbook definition of a theory minutes after saying that nobody has ever posited the theory that unity will bring "peace and harmony".

https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/theory

"A supposition"

"An idea used to account for a situation or justify a course of action."

I will leave it there.

You are all over the place, you have just expounded the textbook definition of a theory minutes after saying that nobody has ever posited the theory that unity will bring "peace and harmony".

https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/theory

"A supposition"

"An idea used to account for a situation or justify a course of action."

I will leave it there.

I was responding to a 'poster' who introduced the notion of states living in 'peace and harmony' and forgot to put that notion in inverted commas.

One wonders if you are living in some sort of weird Disneyworld where nations live permanently in 'peace and harmony'. I suspect you do if you think northern Ireland is at 'peace' at the moment.

So as not to be controlled by another country or nation. The history of Ireland shows many examples of the problems a people face when their affairs are controled by external interests. That Ireland's affairs were controlled by another nation was always to Irelands detrement. Freeing ourselves from that destructive control by creating our own independant state was vital to our own interests as a people.

Your utiopian concept of stateless nationhood does not stack up in the real world where countless peoples were colonised and exploited by imperial powers.

If Ireland was not its own country, under what soverign authority would our affairs be governed?

So as not to be controlled by another country or nation. The history of Ireland shows many examples of the problems a people face when their affairs are controled by external interests. That Ireland's affairs were controlled by another nation was always to Irelands detrement. Freeing ourselves from that destructive control by creating our own independant state was vital to our own interests as a people.

Your utiopian concept of stateless nationhood does not stack up in the real world where countless peoples were colonised and exploited by imperial powers.

If Ireland was not its own country, under what soverign authority would our affairs be governed?

That idea of control is rooted in the traditions of empire and of nations standing alone. It is the same rhetoric as that behind Brexit that believes the UK can do better by being in "control" of its destiny. Outdated, outmoded and out of touch.

Ireland is its own country, with shared sovereignty in the EU. We don't need any more territory.

There are many people out there who are part of the Irish nation living in many different places across the world controlled by many different countries, from people like Lisa Smith to people like Donald Trump, all claimed as part of the diaspora in one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

old ways of thinking ... A modern Northern Ireland is coming ... young now identifying as Northern Irish ... The old ways of thinking ... The world is changing ... Northern Ireland is changing ... the unification project is dead ... Republicans have always revelled in the misery of others.

The utter desperation in your post is pitiful, you should have just skipped to the last sentence to be more true to yourself. Every single micron of movement, towards the 21st Century, in the North has to be painfully wrenched from political Unionism and it has pissed-off a whole new generation of young people.

The Nation State has remained incredibly robust and Ireland, as a 32 County nation state, is embedded in the culture despite broadsides from all angles. Now, with the internet's ending of monopolised opinion forming, the UI concept has been essentially made invulnerable.

As for you shoving all your chips on the 'Northern Irish' identity whatever the hell it is - well you're going to need a lot of luck if you think it will kill off the desire to see Ireland united. Make no mistake about it - young people of all identities are looking South wistfully at a modern progressive state powering into the 21st Century.

You had precisely the same views before Brexit -- they just seem all the more desperate now that everything has moved in a direction you'd rather it hadn't.

Ireland is its own country, with shared sovereignty in the EU. We don't need any more territory.

You are peddeling the concept of stateless nationhood. Please answer the question; if we did not have our own state then with who, or where would soverignty reside? If we did not manage our own affairs, who would manage them for us?

It is not for us to expand our territory. That is a decision for the people of NI. If the people of NI decide that their interests are better served by partnership in the Irish nation and in the Irish state, and I personally believe that they are, then we have a duty to take our northern fellow citizens in and to work with them to make sure that we can continue to be our own country, with shared sovereignty in the EU and the prosperity that this brings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

I'd love to know how many Unionists are inbred, they are genuinely the stupidest group of people i'v ever seen. They have no culture beyond hatred and bigotry. They love Britain so much yet most British people couldn't give a fcuk about them, i'v spoken to plenty of Brits who know zero about NI and could care less about it. Hilarious how the British government has forced them into accepting SSM they love being British when it suits them but not willing to adopt the same laws. They say it's on both sides,

i'd say in this day and age the vast majority comes from one side, Republicans don't go marching down Loyalist areas and deliberately try to incite violence. They can't accept that they no longer have the power to dominate and rule over the other side in NI and are now being dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century. They can have their fleig but it's a shame none of them have an education or any brain cells.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

A powerful metaphor for the state of unionism in the north.

485951.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

I'd love to know how many Unionists are inbred, they are genuinely the stupidest group of people i'v ever seen.

Have you seen all 900,000 of them? Or wondered how many of the nationalists in N. I. are inbred? There was a considerably smaller number of them not so long ago.

I'd love to know how many Unionists are inbred, they are genuinely the stupidest group of people i'v ever seen. They have no culture beyond hatred and bigotry. They love Britain so much yet most British people couldn't give a fcuk about them, i'v spoken to plenty of Brits who know zero about NI and could care less about it. Hilarious how the British government has forced them into accepting SSM they love being British when it suits them but not willing to adopt the same laws. They say it's on both sides,

i'd say in this day and age the vast majority comes from one side, Republicans don't go marching down Loyalist areas and deliberately try to incite violence. They can't accept that they no longer have the power to dominate and rule over the other side in NI and are now being dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century. They can have their fleig but it's a shame none of them have an education or any brain cells.

Reported for raceism.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

janfebmar wrote: »
    Have you seen all 900,000 of them? Or wondered how many of the nationalists in N. I. are inbred? There was a considerably smaller number of them not so long ago.

Seriously, why did you feel the need to post that? Are you that entrenched that one posters comment requires a response in the same vein? Can you think for yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Reported for raceism.

I didn't know unionists were a race of people. **** me, look at Limerick. The heads on some of the people down there. Some serious cross breeding and cousin courtin' going on there. There's more than one black spot on this island.

Seriously, why did you feel the need to post that?

It was in response to Dick phelans post, and his post was not the first time such sentiments were expressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

It was in response to Dick phelans post, and his post was not the first time such sentiments were expressed.

So you posted on the same level. Well done you really did 'your team' a service.

So you posted on the same level. Well done you really did 'your team' a service.

It's easy to criticise the other side, more important to criticise your own when they do or say something that is way out of line. Why the selective criticism of Janfebmar when Dick came out of nowhere with his abuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Knock off the inbred comments, on both sides, please.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Lol someone calling it racism, holy god what race of people would those other white Irish people be. It's like when people claim Muslims are a race as well they clearly don't understand the meaning of the word. I'd love to know how do these hardline unionist see it ending, i mean eventually things like SSM where always going to happen, their backward way of thinking is thankfully on the decline, NI can prosper but it won't if people can't get over crap like this.

It's tradition but many traditions are not good, foot binding used to be a tradition in China, Badger Baiting was a tradition once etc. They died out because society moved forward and recognized that these where not positive traditions, neither is building a pile of pallets next to someone's house throwing a tri color on top and lighting it on fire.

I'd love to know how do these hardline unionist see it ending, i mean eventually things like SSM where always going to happen,

I'd say when it comes to sexuality there is not much difference between the young people on both sides. Young Catholics are generally in favour of contraception, unlike their church. People make up their minds on both sides.
    neither is building a pile of pallets next to someone's house throwing a tri color on top and lighting it on fire.

To the best of my limited knowledge no houses went on fire. I disagree with flags being placed on bonfires, it is disrespectful to your neighbours. I wonder what percentage of fires have flags on them - is it true many do not? And what about the anti-internment anniversary bonfires, what% of them have flags?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

I didn't know unionists were a race of people. **** me, look at Limerick. The heads on some of the people down there. Some serious cross breeding and cousin courtin' going on there. There's more than one black spot on this island.

You said black.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

I'd say when it comes to sexuality there is not much difference between the young people on both sides. Young Catholics are generally in favour of contraception, unlike their church. People make up their minds on both sides.

To the best of my limited knowledge no houses went on fire. I disagree with flags being placed on bonfires, it is disrespectful to your neighbours. I wonder what percentage of fires have flags on them - is it true many do not? And what about the anti-internment anniversary bonfires, what% of them have flags?

You actually said what about. Very good, you are getting the hang of the six.

Advertisement