Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

I wonder if this is why "The Hole In The Wall" really closed in recent months as drinks prices at Wetherspoons would have hit them hard and Wetherspoons have tailored some economical food menu options included in their meal deals with drinks offers. The Hole In The Wall is not a long walk from this venue! A lot of younger adults seemed to frequent Wetherspoons again & again in Belfast while I visited during my holiday week.

no it wasn't

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

no it wasn't

I was just curious if the business had heard through the grapevine that Wetherspoons were very serious about acquiring Carbon/GPO for use as a Wetherspoons Pub and that negotiations had been ongoing for quite some time before this announcement.

I also wonder if the Hole In The Wall would ever re-open albeit under new ownership using a similar pricing model now that Wetherspoons will soon be opening on Eglinton Street as it's not located far from the Hole In The Wall premises on Eyre Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

I was just curious if the business had heard through the grapevine that Wetherspoons were very serious about acquiring Carbon/GPO for use as a Wetherspoons Pub and that negotiations had been ongoing for quite some time before this announcement.

I also wonder if the Hole In The Wall would ever re-open albeit under new ownership using a similar pricing model now that Wetherspoons will soon be opening on Eglinton Street as it's not located far from the Hole In The Wall premises on Eyre Street.

there's an ongoing or upcoming court case regarding the events that took place in the hole in wall so the less/nothing said about it on here the better, but I've no doubt that the opening of weatherpersons will have great effect on the pubs nearby

• Registered Users Posts: 18,109 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The new Donegal Tuesday spot from 2021 :)

biko wrote: »
    Brexit posts removed.
    It's offtopic at best and derailing at worst.

Feel free to use the politics forum

To be fair though, there’s a question as to whether the Wetherspoon’s Boss’s politics will have an effect on the kind of demographic that use the place, especially if it gets picketed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

To be fair though, there’s a question as to whether the Wetherspoon’s Boss’s politics will have an effect on the kind of demographic that use the place, especially if it gets picketed...

Beerexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Feel free to start something in Politics for this, sounds like a lot of assumptions and speculations right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,414 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

FitzShane wrote: »
    Just horsing out flat pints in the standard plain pint glass and charging top money for it is a bit rich now, don't you think?
    Especially when the same place previously took time with each pint, pouring it in the proper glass, which ensured the head stayed and did not go flat instantly.
    I definitely think something changed in the quality overall in the pints there, with prices increased.

Getting one of these is not exactly nice is it, both the glass and the flat-ness of the pint.

220px-Real_Ale_2004-05-09_cropped.jpg

But that's a photograph of real ale. Real ale is flat. :confused:

there's an ongoing or upcoming court case regarding the events that took place in the hole in wall so the less/nothing said about it on here the better, but I've no doubt that the opening of weatherpersons will have great effect on the pubs nearby

Oh, I had become aware of the case regarding the public house in question some time ago and wondered if any external factors had played a part although; I fully appreciate that it would be unwise to comment further in a public forum.

In general, I think that the writing is on the wall for various businesses like creches, kids activity/adventure centres etc; due to high increases in public liability insurance so; these types of establishments along with nightclubs have become less & less attractive from an investment perspective. Closed Down: Lillie's Bordello in Dublin, For Sale: Copper Face Jacks in Dublin, Closing Down August 2019 Carbon/GPO nightclub in Galway Coming Soon: J.D. Wetherspoons Public House/Restaurant.

• Advertisement

Osborne wrote: »
    But that's a photograph of real ale. Real ale is flat. :confused:

That looks flat alright but I'm trying to recall if a Pint of Smithwick's or a Pint of Kilkenny are as flat as I gather they would also be classified as ales?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

That looks flat alright but I'm trying to recall if a Pint of Smithwick's or a Pint of Kilkenny are as flat as I gather they would also be classified as ales?

Real Ale isn't carbonated/nitro its hand pumped , Smithwicks/ Kilkenny are carbonated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

F*ck that I won't be going there if they don't show the racing. Lots will agree with me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭spurshero

Oh, I had become aware of the case regarding the public house in question some time ago and wondered if any external factors had played a part although; I fully appreciate that it would be unwise to comment further in a public forum.

In general, I think that the writing is on the wall for various businesses like creches, kids activity/adventure centres etc; due to high increases in public liability insurance so; these types of establishments along with nightclubs have become less & less attractive from an investment perspective. Closed Down: Lillie's Bordello in Dublin, For Sale: Copper Face Jacks in Dublin, Closing Down August 2019 Carbon/GPO nightclub in Galway Coming Soon: J.D. Wetherspoons Public House/Restaurant.
    Would insurance not be as dear for Witherspoon’s as the other places u mention

• Registered Users Posts: 25,689 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

spurshero wrote: »

Bulk purchasing power means probably not .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Most likely the same but having deeper pockets like SuperMacs means better able to stand up and fight

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Stone

Honestly I am looking forward to a Wetherspoon's in Galway ....
    They have lovely ale's (and other beers) - not all that fizzy 'supermarket stuff' you get around in yer pubs - and the prize point is sound. I realize there are pubs in Galway that serve good beer and ales - but the prices are quite high (not to mention places that charge through the nose for bog standard Guinness/Heineken/etc.).

Also Wetherspoon's usually have a quite palatable decor and ambience .... I say "bring it on" - it can only benefit the Galway pub scene ;)

I have heard that some establishments are getting out of the nightclub sector and while some will close and/or be put up for sale, others may opt to focus on late night bar without nightclub/dancefloor element. Apparently one of the main factors nightclubs have become such a high insurance risk seems to be due to the high cost of claims causing premiums to rise significantly. Unlike the other places mentioned, I do not believe Wetherspoons will be running a nightclub as part of their offering. I've been to two different JD Wetherspoons establishments and neither of the two concerned seemed to provide a dancefloor/nightclub. They seem to focus on more economically priced food options and lower priced beers/ales. Another thing I noticed is that their staff seem to be kept on their toes the whole time as these places are fairly busy most of the day/night.

Incidentally, another new Wetherspoons Pub has been due to open in Dublin City Centre called The Silver Penny on Lower Abbey Street. See below news article on the new Dublin pub opening.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/inside-brand-new-jd-wetherspoons-17796066

Stone wrote: »
    Honestly I am looking forward to a Wetherspoon's in Galway ....
    They have lovely ale's (and other beers) - not all that fizzy 'supermarket stuff' you get around in yer pubs - and the prize point is sound. I realize there are pubs in Galway that serve good beer and ales - but the prices are quite high (not to mention places that charge through the nose for bog standard Guinness/Heineken/etc.).

Also Wetherspoon's usually have a quite palatable decor and ambience .... I say "bring it on" - it can only benefit the Galway pub scene ;)

I would have to concur. Even if a punter does not enjoy the ambience or atmosphere of Wetherspoons, I still think it is good to provide more choice of venue and a more competitive price-point as it has become quite expensive to have a few scoops in our towns/cities. With one establishment already closed down that used sell beers at low prices, Galway needs other establishments to serve this niche. There should be room for economy, mid-range & higher price-points as different Pubs/Bars/Café/Restaurants all need to identify their own unique selling points which gives customers more choice. Hopefully it will have a positive rather than a negative effect to the rest of the Galway social scene.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

I have heard that some establishments are getting out of the nightclub sector and while some will close and/or be put up for sale, others may opt to focus on late night bar without nightclub/dancefloor element. Apparently one of the main factors nightclubs have become such a high insurance risk seems to be due to the high cost of claims causing premiums to rise significantly. Unlike the other places mentioned, I do not believe Wetherspoons will be running a nightclub as part of their offering. I've been to two different JD Wetherspoons establishments and neither of the two concerned seemed to provide a dancefloor/nightclub. They seem to focus on more economically priced food options and lower priced beers/ales. Another thing I noticed is that their staff seem to be kept on their toes the whole time as these places are fairly busy most of the day/night.

Incidentally, another new Wetherspoons Pub has been due to open in Dublin City Centre called The Silver Penny on Lower Abbey Street. See below news article on the new Dublin pub opening.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/inside-brand-new-jd-wetherspoons-17796066

Would agree, Wetherspoons more standard food and drink in a quietish atmosphere, definitely a demand there and they are good at what they do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

They also have an app and can order food and beers from it and get it ordered to your table.Very handy.

They also have an app and can order food and beers from it and get it ordered to your table.Very handy.

Wetherspoons Pub, The Bridge House in Belfast would only accept an order for Food if you did one of those things namely (i) Use the Wetherspoon App. (App. Store or Google Play according to their website) to place your order on a smartphone/android mobile handset Or; (ii) Quote the Table Number of where you will be sitting to the Bartender behind the bar counter so that the food can then be dispatched to this point shortly thereafter. I was able to order my food by giving a table number & paying up at the bar each time and I had no problems in The Bridge House pub in Belfast city centre. You can order/pay for your drinks up at the bar without the same restrictions. I found it to be an efficient service as I ordered Food and/or Drinks several times while on holidays in Belfast recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Wetherspoons Pub, The Bridge House in Belfast would only accept an order for Food if you did one of those things namely (i) Use the Wetherspoon App. (App. Store or Google Play according to their website) to place your order on a smartphone/android mobile handset Or; (ii) Quote the Table Number of where you will be sitting to the Bartender behind the bar counter so that the food can then be dispatched to this point shortly thereafter. I was able to order my food by giving a table number & paying up at the bar each time and I had no problems in The Bridge House pub in Belfast city centre. You can order/pay for your drinks up at the bar without the same restrictions. I found it to be an efficient service as I ordered Food and/or Drinks several times while on holidays in Belfast recently.

Yea, the Wetherspoons I was in you could pay at the bar aswell , or use the app, we used the app .

Next time I am spending leisure time in Dublin City, I must check out "The Silver Penny" which has just opened on Lower Abbey Street as up to now the properties in Dublin were located in the suburbs of Dún Laoghaire, Swords, Blackrock and Blanchardstown. Meanwhile I understand that another Dublin City Centre property on Camden Street is also set to open next year and will be called: Keavan’s Port Hotel which will be a €20m 'superpub'/89-bedroom hotel project due to open early in 2020.

They also opened a premises called The Tullow Gate in Carlow recently.

Also, a site has been acquired by Wetherspoons in Waterford City but no further details have been announced regarding on-site date as of yet.

Following the Galway City acquisition of Carbon/GPO Nightclub on Eglinton Street, Wetherspoons seems to be establishing an increasing presence in the Irish pub landscape.

Pubs across Ireland need to offer punters much better value as otherwise; UK pub chains like Wetherspoons will hit their bottom line. When I see some of the prices charged for a pint of lager in our cities, it not hard to understand why they are quieter and although; there are many factors responsible for the drop-off in trade over the past 15-20years, high prices in the bar trade here is also one of the key factors driving many punters to use Off-Licence, Supermarkets etc; rather than consume in their local pub.
    Wetherspoons in Belfast seemed quite busy most evenings I was around with some repeat business.

Sources:
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/jd-wetherspoon-eyes-further-irish-growth-as-it-readies-seventh-pub-opening-930128.html

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/pub-group-jd-wetherspoon-ramps-up-irish-growth-with-galway-acquisition-937411.html

Andrew00 wrote: »
    F*ck that I won't be going there if they don't show the racing. Lots will agree with me

Well I saw Wimbledon Tennis showing on BBC TV tv last week in Wetherspoon's The Bridge House pub in Belfast city centre.

Given that some Racing coverage is currently broadcast on free-to-air TV channels such as: Virgin Media One, ITV1/ITV4 and RTÉ TV, I would think it would be possible for Wetherspoon's to put it on if their customers requested to view it like other sports shown on free-to-air television.

I would say that all other racing coverage that is broadcast exclusively on subscription-based channels like: Sky Sports Racing or Racing TV channel then you are best to go to another pub and pay the extra for your pint as it will go towards the extra costs that the bar will incur in showcasing premium sports coverage as Sky charges quite a lot for Public Bars to screen such services.

I myself would not wanna have to pay much more for my pint just for premium sports such as: racing exclusively shown on Sky Sports Racing or Racing TV and I'd say there are plenty of customers who would favour lower prices most of the time. If the price difference was only a few cents, I'd say one thing but it's not. That said, I welcome competition and think there is always a place for businesses offering different things for everyone.

Variety, choice and competition is a good thing and should lift most well-run businesses!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I was in the Silver Penny in Dublin last week. Beer was good value, €2.95 for a pint of John Smiths. I think Carlsberg was €3.30. The food service is quick also, pizza was fine.

finbarrk wrote: »
    I was in the Silver Penny in Dublin last week. Beer was good value, €2.95 for a pint of John Smiths. I think Carlsberg was €3.30. The food service is quick also, pizza was fine.

Thanks for latest example of prices in Dublin. You would find it difficult to get a Pint of Carlsberg in a Dublin City bar for anywhere near €3.30 I suspect. Only place I can think of that is said to be cheap would probably be Dicey's Garden in Russell Court Hotel on Harcourt Street in Dublin although; maybe things have changed since last year? I certainly would NOT fork out for a pint in the Temple Bar area given the prices charged especially at certain times of the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Storm 10 wrote: »
    I was in the House Hotel last Saturday night and they were serving pints in non branded glasses, the pint was sh..e and the head was gone after two sips so I upped and left after the one horrible tasting Carlsberg, why don't they serve pints in the branded glasses that hold the head and taste better and yeah it was 1 euro dearer.

Nothing to do with the glass ted.
    Real ale, depending on the person who poured it, does not have a head like youd be used toning say, a pint of Guinness.

Often there is a sparkler attached to the tap to create more of a head.
    That looks like a London pint

If that was northern England it would be sent back, they prefer a creamier hendon their pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

Guinness was 'real ale' untill mid 60s. Cookes & The Western, Prospect Hill were 2 of the last pubs to sell unpressurised draught stout.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Can see the Latin quarter having serious objections and delaying everything about this from renovations to opening hours

Advertisement