Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭GSF

<No more Brexit discussion>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Can see the Latin quarter having serious objections and delaying everything about this from renovations to opening hours

Interesting point and I'm sure that there will always be some planning issues or businesses who may not welcome such competition in their own backyard.

I understand that Wetherspoons had once acquired a former Bank premises in Douglas Village in Cork and had intended opening a pub once the site in question was re-developed. I believe that there were planning issues associated with their Douglas site in Cork and as far as I know the whole plan was aborted altogether. Not sure if they subsequently sold the property concerned or; if Wetherspoons are still actively plan on opening anywhere else in the Cork region following the setback with the property in Douglas. Meanwhile their Cork City Centre premises called The Linen Weaver on Paul Street seems to be doing alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭spurshero

Can see the Latin quarter having serious objections and delaying everything about this from renovations to opening hours
    The people that drink in Latin quarter and pay some of the prices that they are paying would be a totally different clientele then will be in Witherspoon’s .,

spurshero wrote: »
    The people that drink in Latin quarter and pay some of the prices that they are paying would be a totally different clientele then will be in Witherspoon’s .,

Yeah this could be the case alright. That said, there may be some of those punters also happy at the idea of having a cheaper option in this part of town. If they end up forking out far less on a night out somewhere like Wetherspoons, they may choose to go out again on another night of the week! Others may choose to start their night in Wetherspoons and then move on to other pubs later in the day/evening. A more widespread choice of different types of bar/club venues that serve different tastes along with more competition in prices is no bad thing at all. It makes going out a more enjoyable experience if each pub/club offers something unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,650 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Indeed. The people most likely to be objecting are certain pubs in Eyre Square and Woodquay. The LQ owners will likely be well happy to have fewer security issues floating in their neighbourhood. Except for the one who also owns Blakes, and will therefore have those issues arriving in his neighbourhood.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

The LQ owners will likely be well happy to have fewer security issues floating in their neighbourhood. Except for the one who also owns Blakes, and will therefore have those issues arriving in his neighbourhood.

Fewer security issues? Please elaborate? I’m sensing a racist undertone, hopefully I’m wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Fewer security issues? Please elaborate? I’m sensing a racist undertone, hopefully I’m wrong

Wouldn't put this as racist

Cheap alcohol attracts alcoholics and rough people, it's that simple

If they have all moved from separate pubs around Galway into one Mega pub this may lead to issues, but could also alleviate issues for LQ bars also

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

If they have all moved from separate pubs around Galway into one Mega pub this may lead to issues, but could also alleviate issues for LQ bars also

A drunk tank?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

They will have door staff to sort out the crowd when they open. Usual stuff. They will do really well with students during the week and if the place is done up nice they will attract everybody else at the weekend. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭spurshero

The LQ owners will likely be well happy to have fewer security issues floating in their neighbourhood. Except for the one who also owns Blakes, and will therefore have those issues arriving in his neighbourhood.

My point was the person that is not bothered about having to pay 10 euro plus for a g and t etc in quay street is not going to be attracted to eglington street for a 2.50 pint . Price obviously doesn’t bother them . Reality is the price of a pint bothers some not others . I’m not saying anything about issues with trouble etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

My point was the person that is not bothered about having to pay 10 euro plus for a g and t etc in quay street is not going to be attracted to eglington street for a 2.50 pint . Price obviously doesn’t bother them . Reality is the price of a pint bothers some not others . I’m not saying anything about issues with trouble etc

The difference will be that the unbothered person wlll then have a choice to go to somewhere else for much more reasonable drinks and they might bother then. If they make it a nice spot people will go. The tourist spots in the Latin quarter will be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Czhornet

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,650 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Race has nothing to do with it.

Mr OBumble has encountered Weatherspoons in their native environment where it was possible to buy all sorts from the punters.

Maybe we'll get a classy one without the petty crooks who are barred from various LQ pubs.
    Maybe we won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,228 ✭✭✭✭ted1

finbarrk wrote: »
    I was in the Silver Penny in Dublin last week. Beer was good value, €2.95 for a pint of John Smiths. I think Carlsberg was €3.30. The food service is quick also, pizza was fine.

Frozen food is generally quick

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Race has nothing to do with it.

Mr OBumble has encountered Weatherspoons in their native environment where it was possible to buy all sorts from the punters.

Maybe we'll get a classy one without the petty crooks who are barred from various LQ pubs.
    Maybe we won't.
    I remember being in one particular Wetherspoons and dodgy sort tried to sell me all kinds of shonky merchandise. He sidles up to me in his pinstripe suit and bowler hat and started offering me a quarter mill of the finest German Bunds. No interest. He then told me for the right price, he'd make me a name at Lloyd's...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I've been in three of them, and I think they are quite nice. The food there is good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Maybe we won't.

Do these punters go in with a spoon?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Thanks for latest example of prices in Dublin. You would find it difficult to get a Pint of Carlsberg in a Dublin City bar for anywhere near €3.30 I suspect. Only place I can think of that is said to be cheap would probably be Dicey's Garden in Russell Court Hotel on Harcourt Street in Dublin although; maybe things have changed since last year? I certainly would NOT fork out for a pint in the Temple Bar area given the prices charged especially at certain times of the day!

Pint of any type of beer in Dublin CC is going to cost you over the fiver mark. Good value, i don't know about the clientele on Abbey Street. I work near there and the area is a pure sh1t tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Keep it local

Boards beers there once it is open.
    There would be at least one topic for discussion.

I imagine this will be successful - convenient for students during the week , younger workers at the weekend and tourists in the summer, people looking for a quick lunch all year.

Not particularly being any of the above I doubt I will be target.

Going by the descriptions above there is a risk it could feel empty at quiet times given the size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,071 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Hope this clientel wont harm Blakes. I love it there.

Pint of any type of beer in Dublin CC is going to cost you over the fiver mark. Good value, i don't know about the clientele on Abbey Street. I work near there and the area is a pure sh1t tip.

Ah, I am aware that a pint of beer is typically Over the €5.00EUR benchmark in Dublin City and probably substantially above it in a tourist hip trendy zone like Temple Bar. And if you wanna enjoy a pint later in the evening, expect to pay even more again just for the privilege! Some people will complain but still fork out whereas; I just refuse to pay over the odds.

So; it seems that if one really wants to obtain good value in the price of a pint of beer in a Dublin city pub, you need to be prepared to sacrifice something. Given the money that Wetherspoons have invested serious funds in providing modern facilities not to mention the fine restoration carried out on their new premises (The Silver Penny) on Lower Abbey Street, I for one would definitely give it support next time I am on a visit to Dublin and I would also do likewise if I am in Galway City following the opening of the premises they have recently acquired on Eglinton Street. I welcome any establishment be it Wetherspoons or any other pub interest that offers better value prices in a pleasant comfortable setting. It would be great if there were Irish owned pub chains offering similar or better value to Wetherspoons as I would support them if they were charging much lower prices.

pg633 wrote: »
    Boards beers there once it is open.
    There would be at least one topic for discussion.

I imagine this will be successful - convenient for students during the week , younger workers at the weekend and tourists in the summer, people looking for a quick lunch all year.

Not particularly being any of the above I doubt I will be target.

Going by the descriptions above there is a risk it could feel empty at quiet times given the size.

Empty like The Skeff can be at certain times.

The King's Head is also much quieter in recent years compared to it's Celtic Tiger days. Last few times I checked it out, the Ruby Room was unlocked but in total darkness with the chairs turned upside down on tables even on a Saturday night which should be a busy night of the week. Some of the factors are probably due to issues like: the prices are too high for a good session in pubs, a missing generation emigrated, others drinking in the city are buying cheap alcohol in off-licences/supermarkets and going to house parties or consuming alcohol on the banks of the River Corrib which is fine in Summer weather.

With a certain student pub closed recently in Woodquay, I can see Wetherspoons doing some serious trade in Galway City Centre. We don't have a warm dry sunny climate so if the price is more affordable, some of those outdoor drinkers may be tempted to venture indoors especially on those wet windy evenings. Of course there will always be those who'll still prefer the freedom of drinking alcohol outside.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Hope this clientel wont harm Blakes. I love it there.

Blake's should be able to adapt if they have a sound business model and reasonable overheads. It might actually compliment them by showcasing the contrast in where they are in the local marketplace as an upmarket public house serving fine food & drink. That said, they may decide to tweak certain aspects of their offering if they find some of their regulars straying following Wetherspoons opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Empty like The Skeff can be at certain times.

The King's Head is also much quieter in recent years compared to it's Celtic Tiger days. Last few times I checked it out, the Ruby Room was unlocked but in total darkness with the chairs turned upside down on tables even on a Saturday night which should be a busy night of the week. Some of the factors are probably due to issues like: the prices are too high for a good session in pubs, a missing generation emigrated, others drinking in the city are buying cheap alcohol in off-licences/supermarkets and going to house parties or consuming alcohol on the banks of the River Corrib which is fine in Summer weather.

With a certain student pub closed recently in Woodquay, I can see Wetherspoons doing some serious trade in Galway City Centre. We don't have a warm dry sunny climate so if the price is more affordable, some of those outdoor drinkers may be tempted to venture indoors especially on those wet windy evenings. Of course there will always be those who'll still prefer the freedom of drinking alcohol outside.

Shocking beer and poor service is the main reason i stopped going into the kings head

Shocking beer and poor service is the main reason i stopped going into the kings head

I first set foot in The King's Head in October '96 and would have found it constantly evolving and getting busier but a few years after the crash I noticed it had lost it's mojo and was actually retreating. King's Head used have some connection with CUBA's nightclub as the music artists playing King's Head used promote to late night patron's to head on to CUBA's (CUBA's later became The Bentley>now McGettigan's) I think King's Head wasted money over the years such as upstairs when they moved the Bar and Toilets - the previous toilets were perfectly fine and the renovated version is not best-suited to a venue trading off it's historic/traditional roots. The music acts became tired and repetitive playing same repertoire year in, year out. They got greedy and blew it - I've not seen it recover since the Celtic Tigers years and while most pubs have suffered, I think King's Head should have been able to match The Quay's & The Front Door/Sonny's if it was on top of it's game. Both these venues seem to be doing much better.

Meanwhile The Skeff has barely changed in over 20yrs as well whereas; The Quays Bar still seems to attract a lot of trade and they have only made minor adjustments to the bar layout since '96 from what I can see.

If the price is pitched high in any bar, the quality of the product and service must be top class in every aspect from the moment you arrive at the entrance until you leave.

Friendly & attentive staff definitely adds to a more positive experience whether it's a trendy new bar or old rustic traditional pub in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

This thread is about W'spoons only, it's not an opportunity to poop on other places.

/cranky moderator

I can't wait to see Wetherspoons new premises in Galway following the complete refit. It will bring more life to this side of Eglinton Street during the day/early evening once opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Wetherspoon's drink choice and prices are good. Their food is very mediocre the few times I've had meals in the Dublin pubs over the last few years but it will attract people for the food because they feel they are getting value for money (especially with the cheap soft drink/alcoholic drink add on).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I can't wait to see Wetherspoons new premises in Galway following the complete refit. It will bring more life to this side of Eglinton Street during the day/early evening once opened.

That's a very good point. A night club is only open for 4 hours a couple of nights a week and is dead street frontage for the remainder of the week. This will bring life to the street from 8am to midnight or so 7 days a week.

Advertisement