Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan The hunt for Webb Ellis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Podge_irl wrote: »
    To make sure the hosts win the opening match.

Yeah, but give them Japan vs Samoa.

At least it would be some sort of match.

This will be over after 15 minutes.

In case anyone's forgotten, Russia are there because Spain & Germany fielded ineligible players IIRC.

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Yeah, but give them Japan vs Samoa.

At least it would be some sort of match.

This will be over after 15 minutes.

In case anyone's forgotten, Russia are there because Spain & Germany fielded ineligible players IIRC.

I somewhat agree - I think Japan v Ireland should have been the opener, Ireland spent most of the last two years in or around world no.2, it's the biggest team Japan are going to face unless they make the final 7 and it would have been a decent opener.

All that said - take world rugby rankings out of it - Japan v Russia for your average casual has wider appeal in terms and context outside of Rugby so I can see why they went that way. Russia won't win - but I expect them to throw themselves into the fixture.

The pool games that I'm most excited about and which I consider most consequential:

France v Argentina
    NZ v South Africa
    Irl v Scotland
    Japan v Ireland
    Aus v Wales
    South Africa v Italy
    England v Argentina
    England v France
    Japan v Scotland

These are the games which I think will largely decide the order of the final 8.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It's a reasonable point - but ultimately Japan v Samoa is not going to be any more interesting to most of the global viewing population then Japan v Russia and the latter is better for the hosts.

It certainly does look like the opening match has gotten more facile over the years. I think France losing on the opening night probably put a bit of a damper on things (even if it was a great match) and they are looking to avoid a repeat. It also gives huge exposure to the "other" team.

2015: England v Fiji
    2011: NZ v Tonga
    2007: France v Argentina
    2003: Australia v Argentina
    1999: Wales v Argentina
    1995: South Africa v Australia

I'm looking forward to the world cup. What about you guys

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I'm looking forward to the world cup. What about you guys

I'm starting a new job in a couple of weeks and yet to know if it'll be the sort of place that'll frown upon having the matches on my screen or phone.

So pretty anxious.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I'm starting a new job in a couple of weeks and yet to know if it'll be the sort of place that'll frown upon having the matches on my screen or phone.

So pretty anxious.

The Ireland Russia game is on a Thursday and my other half thinks I'm crazy to be considering taking the day off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

aloooof wrote: »
    The Ireland Russia game is on a Thursday and my other half thinks I'm crazy to be considering taking the day off.

That relationship has run its course. Time to trade her in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Whatever about the actual tournament, Argentina have won the jersey world cup

D_vQ-JNW4AAWWPK.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 41,023 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I'd wait to see Fiji before calling that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I'd wait to see Fiji before calling that :)

It's already been released: https://shop.rugbyworldcup.com/collections/fiji/products/fiji-rwc-2019-home-pro-jersey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,312 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

D_vQ-JNW4AAWWPK.jpg

Their second jersey is a thing of wonder...

https://twitter.com/thepaulwilliams/status/1151748194746937344?s=19

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

D_vQ-JNW4AAWWPK.jpg

That's a beaut. Is it just me or are jersey's with collars always better?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Hopefully it’s available in stores. Never buy jerseys but couldn’t find Argentina’s last WC jersey to buy anywhere.

So pretty anxious.

We're giving everyone the day mostly off. Down tools at 10.30 and people can head home or stay for game. Buying brunch for whoever wants to watch the match and beers in the afternoon.

Can't wait!

Might be old news but Joe Marler is back training in the England squad. Probably pressured after Mako was injured.

We're giving everyone the day mostly off. Down tools at 10.30 and people can head home or stay for game. Buying brunch for whoever wants to watch the match and beers in the afternoon.

Can't wait!

You hiring?

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    You hiring?

Welcome aboard!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 474 ✭✭Former Observer

Could the English suffer the embarrassment of a second pool stage exit?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

With France and Argentina in their pool it can't be ruled out.

But while I fancy Argentina will run them close, the Six Nations rabble that was France will need to improve a lot. In fact they'll probably beat England and lose to Tonga (or whoever the weaker teams are in their pool).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,799 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Whatever about England we could struggle in our group if we play like we did in the 6 nations

Scotland will cause us trouble and we have to play the hosts straight after it

Imagine losing our first 2 games and the last 2 will mean **** all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Whatever about England we could struggle in our group if we play like we did in the 6 nations

I was very nervous but I've had a bit of time to lose the anxiety, even if we don't improve on the six nation's we will probably win the group. But honestly I think we let loose, there should be able to click into a tournament mentality after a couple of wins. I think if we do beat South Africa we will have nothing left, the most attritional game since France 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I was very nervous but I've had a bit of time to lose the anxiety, even if we don't improve on the six nation's we will probably win the group. But honestly I think we let loose, they should be able to click into a tournament mentality after a couple of wins. I think if we do beat South Africa we will have nothing left, the most attritional game since France 2015.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

We beat Scotland by 9 points in Murrayfield.

So no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Referee Appointments have been announced.

v Scotland Wayne Barnes
    V Japan Angus Gardner
    V Russia Jerome Garces
    V Samoa Nic Berry

good

Welcome aboard!

Excellent. I assume that my primary role at the company will be explaining to your staff what its like when your team wins a knock out game at a RWC. The emotions, the euphoria. How to deal with the joy of victory without rubbing it in the loser's face. How to get yourself through the week with such a massive game coming up the following weekend. That sort of stuff. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

KBurke85 wrote: »
    Referee Appointments have been announced.

v Scotland Wayne Barnes
    V Japan Angus Gardner
    V Russia Jerome Garces
    V Samoa Nic Berry

Ah bollox! Barnes for the Scotland game of all games??

touts wrote: »

yeah terrible... getting the current best ref in the world for our toughest pool game......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

touts wrote: »

I don’t see an issue with having arguably the current best ref in the world.

Advertisement