Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma O'Doherty and her unicorns

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

creeper1 wrote: »
    That is not valid at all. She isn’t bursting into my living room. I am actively searching out her content because I want to listen to her views.

Google and YouTube are so dominant they have near monopoly.

No they don't. Vimeo, Dailymotion, Veoh, Facebook, Metacafe etc are all open to her. And work exactly the same.

She can also set up her own internet radio channel if she wants, she can shout on the streets, hold protests and marches and so on.
    If you want to listen to her views you can go stand outside google hq. I hear she is doing a summer season there.

Matinee starts at 1pm today.

"The security guard is behind you"

"OH NO he isn't
    " etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

The Nal wrote: »
    Doubt it. We're not going to be hearing from her as much anymore so why bother.

Shes banned from youtube, permanently, and shes too much of a chicken shít to engage in a debate with anyone, on radio, online or on TV as she knows she would be torn apart.

She has Twitter and Facebook I suppose but they'll ban her too if she continues. Facebook in particular seems to attract the highest percentage of thickos so she should focus on that from now on.

I don't agree with the whole de-platforming thing, but these companies are overwhelmingly coming from the 'progressive' side of things. God help anybody with contrary views in their offices, they must be keeping their horns drawn a lot.

She seems to be showing serious signs of strain and nervous exhaustion, while she made the choice to tackle the subjects that she did, I don't envy her. I don't agree with everything she says but I don't like the sanctimonious dismissal of all her views either. I don't think that the faith militant really need much of an excuse to assault people, if she rubs them up the wrong way, they will eventually cross the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,409 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I noticed that Gemma’s YouTube channels have been taken down because of “hate speech”

Who the heck are YouTube to decide what is and what is not “hate speech”?

I am angry about this.

Rabble Rabble Rabble

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Seanachai wrote: »
    I don't agree with the whole de-platforming thing, but these companies are overwhelmingly coming from the 'progressive' side of things. God help anybody with contrary views in their offices, they must be keeping their horns drawn a lot.

The problem isn't 'contrary views' it's when anyone breaks the T&C's of a private company they have ostensibly signed a contract with (which are the T&C's). If those folks want to create their own version of YouTube they can. The market will decide whether or not it's successful. That's how capitalism works, which seems to be a big plus for a lot of right-wing/conservative folks. The problem for them though, is that in general (certainly in Ireland) they are in the minority. Most people think Gemma and her ilk are not reflective of their views, so they don't tune in in large numbers.

And I have zero sympathy for anyone who works in a a job that's clearly in opposition to their own world view. If it's that big a problem, change jobs. I know I've turned down work because of the worldview/ politics of the organisation that was not aligned with mine. I want to be proud to be associated with the company I work for - it's why I work in the NFP sector tbh. My wife works in the corporate world and I cannot think of much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Yeah, the companies that have relentlessly disseminated the views of nazis, white supremacists and right wing conspiracy theories for profit are 'progressive'.

• Advertisement

I don't agree with the whole de-platforming thing, but these companies are overwhelmingly coming from the 'progressive' side of things.

Its quite simple, she received a fair warning, didn't stop, so was then was banned for a week and she used a secondary account to keep streaming, which is a clear breach of their Ts & Cs, which she had previously agreed to.

Wheres the problem?

She hasn't a leg to stand on morally either. Shes a coward. She hasn't engaged in debate with anyone, blocks anyone who says anything negative about her and threatened legal action against a journalist who wrote this article about her, resulting in the article being temporarily removed from Medium.

Freedom of speech eh? A cowardly hypocrite.
    droidus wrote: »
    Yeah, the companies that have relentlessly disseminated the views of nazis, white supremacists and right wing conspiracy theories for profit are 'progressive'.

More importantly Islamic terrorists. Google and Youtube have done amazing work in that regard in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

droidus wrote: »

It's a double standard though. It's open season on Twitter and you tube against white people, men in particular. Racist videos or channels against caucasians never get taken down. I've followed Gemma for a while, dont agree with everything she says, but admire her courage to tackle the rotten Irish establishment who take the mick out of the public on a daily basis. That's the beauty of free speech, you can form your own opinion.

You'd swear the powers that be are trying to divide us with identity politics, but that couldn't be could it? Most 'progressives' are intolerant of any views other than their own and side with the establishment on everything. They also seem to be perpetually offended, shouting 'isms' at everyone when they feel like it. In my opinion, they do it because it's a sneaky way of attaining power unchallenged. Take for example leah Doherty, who assaulted a citizen journalist and bragged about it on social media.

In my humble opinion, new age progressives are useful idiots and foot soldiers of the establishment. They police thought in an attempt to exude control. I just cant believe more people arent waking up to this.

Im not really sure what version of the internet you subscribe to, but the prevailing trend over the last few years has been the steadfast refusal of the big tech companies to take decisive and effective action against endless misogynistic, racist, conspiracy and white wing propaganda accounts, despite the fact that these have been implicated in electoral fraud, the spreading of diseases, a rise in political violence and multiple massacres.

This is not controversial. There are literally thousands of articles and investigations into this topic.

www.gemmodoherty.com is available.

Why doesn't she set her own website up?

Oh yeah I forgot, the victim card. My bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,167 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

www.gemmodoherty.com is available.

Why doesn't she set her own website up?

Oh yeah I forgot, the victim card. My bad.

she has. it is at gemmaodoherty.com

• Advertisement

she has. it is at gemmaodoherty.com

Aha I spelled her name wrong!

So why doesn't she make the Gemmaroids aware and just post her videos on that?

Aha I spelled her name wrong!

So why doesn't she make the Gemmaroids aware and just post her videos on that?

not going to get the same reach is it.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Anyone else hear a screeching frog?

Its quite simple, she received a fair warning, didn't stop, so was then was banned for a week and she used a secondary account to keep streaming, which is a clear breach of their Ts & Cs, which she had previously agreed to.

Wheres the problem?

She hasn't a leg to stand on morally either. Shes a coward. She hasn't engaged in debate with anyone, blocks anyone who says anything negative about her and threatened legal action against a journalist who wrote this article about her, resulting in the article being temporarily removed from Medium.

Freedom of speech eh? A cowardly hypocrite.

More importantly Islamic terrorists. Google and Youtube have done amazing work in that regard in the last few years.

I know she breached their terms, I'm saying that I find their T&C's to be OTT, but they're a private company so they can be as hysterical as they like. If I was in her position I wouldn't want to engage in debate either, because it wouldn't actually be a debate, it would just descend into her being called a racist, bigot etc and then a camera cut to smug audience members nodding and laughing at her. Why would you put yourself through that?

I know she breached their terms, I'm saying that I find their T&C's to be OTT, but they're a private company so they can be as hysterical as they like. If I was in her position I wouldn't want to engage in debate either, because it wouldn't actually be a debate, it would just descend into her being called a racist, bigot etc and then a camera cut to smug audience members nodding and laughing at her. Why would you put yourself through that?

If you dont like their terms then dont agree with them and dont create an account. Why is that so hard to understand?

The problem isn't 'contrary views' it's when anyone breaks the T&C's of a private company they have ostensibly signed a contract with (which are the T&C's). If those folks want to create their own version of YouTube they can. The market will decide whether or not it's successful. That's how capitalism works, which seems to be a big plus for a lot of right-wing/conservative folks. The problem for them though, is that in general (certainly in Ireland) they are in the minority. Most people think Gemma and her ilk are not reflective of their views, so they don't tune in in large numbers.

And I have zero sympathy for anyone who works in a a job that's clearly in opposition to their own world view. If it's that big a problem, change jobs. I know I've turned down work because of the worldview/ politics of the organisation that was not aligned with mine. I want to be proud to be associated with the company I work for - it's why I work in the NFP sector tbh. My wife works in the corporate world and I cannot think of much worse.

"The problem for them though, is that in general (certainly in Ireland) they are in the minority"

I'm not sure this is the case here tbh, are you basing this on the recent referendum results and the general consensus of the popular media outlets? A lot of people I meet in rural and urban Ireland, baby-boomers and people my own age are starting to question immigration, globalisation, the EU etc. I'm surprised how many people are aware of Gemma Doherty and not necessarily in a negative way.

But they're not vocal about it because they're afraid that it will affect their standing in work or their social circle or whatever. There's a lot of Irish people that will nod along with certain views but it's different behind closed doors.

If I was in her position I wouldn't want to engage in debate either, because it wouldn't actually be a debate, it would just descend into her being called a racist, bigot etc and then a camera cut to smug audience members nodding and laughing at her. Why would you put yourself through that?

Not if she can articulate her points. Trump can handle it, Kate Hopkins can, Farage can, JRM can.

Why can't she?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,732 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

That is not valid at all. She isn’t bursting into my living room. I am actively searching out her content because I want to listen to her views.

Google and YouTube are so dominant they have near monopoly.

Vimeo and Bing beg to differ.

Rabble Rabble Rabble

Come on now

• Advertisement

Not if she can articulate her points. Trump can handle it, Kate Hopkins can, Farage can, JRM can.

Why can't she?

Because her subscribers were growing and the Irish establishment were being undermined in their far left agenda.

Thing is, the more they silence her, the bigger her interest gets. The msn wont report accurately on her, bar the odd smear article from the jdigital rag that is the journal.

lufties wrote: »
    It's a double standard though. It's open season on Twitter and you tube against white people, men in particular. Racist videos or channels against caucasians never get taken down. I've followed Gemma for a while, dont agree with everything she says, but admire her courage to tackle the rotten Irish establishment who take the mick out of the public on a daily basis. That's the beauty of free speech, you can form your own opinion.

You'd swear the powers that be are trying to divide us with identity politics, but that couldn't be could it? Most 'progressives' are intolerant of any views other than their own and side with the establishment on everything. They also seem to be perpetually offended, shouting 'isms' at everyone when they feel like it. In my opinion, they do it because it's a sneaky way of attaining power unchallenged. Take for example leah Doherty, who assaulted a citizen journalist and bragged about it on social media.

In my humble opinion, new age progressives are useful idiots and foot soldiers of the establishment. They police thought in an attempt to exude control. I just cant believe more people arent waking up to this.

I will say reading TheRoot talk about ‘wypypo’ is nauseating

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Because her subscribers were growing and the Irish establishment were being undermined in their far left agenda.

Thing is, the more they silence her, the bigger her interest gets. The msn wont report accurately on her, bar the odd smear article from the jdigital rag that is the journal.
    So she doesnt believe in chemtrails, fake shootings and other mad conspiracy theories?

"The problem for them though, is that in general (certainly in Ireland) they are in the minority"

I'm not sure this is the case here tbh, are you basing this on the recent referendum results and the general consensus of the popular media outlets? A lot of people I meet in rural and urban Ireland, baby-boomers and people my own age are starting to question immigration, globalisation, the EU etc. I'm surprised how many people are aware of Gemma Doherty and not necessarily in a negative way.

But they're not vocal about it because they're afraid that it will affect their standing in work or their social circle or whatever. There's a lot of Irish people that will nod along with certain views but it's different behind closed doors.

If I lived in Ireland I'd be hesitant to say I support Gemma. I know how people are in Ireland. Even people know she's right in most of what she says, they will still feign ignorance, because the globalism agenda is attached to peoples pay packets essentially.
    All the LGBT flags draped all over Dublin is a message from the Irish government that says, dare go against us and you'll be ostracized.

King Mob wrote: »
    So she doesnt believe in chemtrails, fake shootings and other mad conspiracy theories?

They are only mad to closed minded people like you. I personally dont think chemtrails is a thing. However, I dont rule out anything completely these days. Saying that, nobody gets it right all the time.
    The Irish government gets it wrong every time, but fools like you continue to support them in their agenda. Perhaps you are benefitting in some way.

Overheal wrote: »
    I will say reading TheRoot talk about ‘wypypo’ is nauseating

What?

If you dont like their terms then dont agree with them and dont create an account. Why is that so hard to understand?

She actually didn't breach them. In so far as there other youtubers with far more controversial opinions and dont get banned. Let's call it as it is, her fan base was growing and the establishment cant handle that. The head of Google in Ireland is connected politically, youd be naive or wilfully ignorant to think something isn't going on in the background.

Why can't she?

She's well able to articulate, those examples you gave are exceptionally thick-skinned people. I actually think Trump absorbs ire like it's positive energy. It would be exasperating going against the consensus on something like Prime Time or that show on Virgin with Harry and fancy-shirts.

S'funny, cos I thought we currently had arguably the most right wing government in the history of the state and an 'establishment' that is consistently hostile to the left and supportive of the most predatory and damaging aspects of capitalist institutions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

They are only mad to closed minded people like you. I personally dont think chemtrails is a thing. However, I dont rule out anything completely these days. Saying that, nobody gets it right all the time.
    The Irish government gets it wrong every time, but fools like you continue to support them in their agenda. Perhaps you are benefitting in some way.
    No, it's mad because it's mad.

Why do you not believe in chemtrails?
    What part of it is convincing enough for you to be open to the possibility?
    Why is Gemma wrong about them?

I take it you believe that fake mass shootings are a thing?

Advertisement