Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Forum Chit-Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Very early expedition to the church ( to beat midges and pollen) with five cats along. ( I take care of it)

Two know the church well and frisk it for aliens. New boy vanished under the floor (!) and the two baby blacks disappeared totally,

Had been going to complete the circuit but was worried about the 2 who may not have known the area that far away... even left the church door open...

One was sitting in the lane half way back, giving out to me, and the other raced in as soon as I got in.
    The trick is not to feed them before we go out. The word "chicken" works wonders...

Next time will go the other way round...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Cats!
    Ive never had cats (my mother disliked them and 'taught' us to dislike them growing up) - but since Ive got two ex-ferals Im a total cat slave.

Second arrival was half dead, skeletal, feral when she arrived. Took 6 months of feeding her several times/day, sitting close to her while she ate, before she even let me touch her. Now shes fat (well actually obese), totally tame, lives in the house, and is the BEST cat on the planet :D Because of her horrendous start in life, I refuse her nothing (shes about 4 years old, the vets reckoned) - but the little maggot is now getting fussy about her food :(:( Our first arrival - beautiful long haired tuxedo, found as a tiny kitten, has always been very very fussy - no real interest in food - only best quality catfood, tuna, probiotic yogurt, and nothing else - literally. Now fatty cat is pulling the same stunt - though she will eat any meat. What are you all feeding your cats. Raw chicken I thought would be good for fatty cat, but she prefers cooked please. Anything else to feed her - looking for suggestions/ideas please (and if it might tempt fussy cat all the better)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

I followed fatty cats story, what a triumph to get her to this!

She is totally manipulating you, with a history and appetite like hers, she should eat anything that comes her way. My advice is hold firm and she won’t deprive herself of food when hungry :D

Quote: “it didn’t take my cat long to train me”.

Do you ever watch Simon’s cat on YouTube?

aonb wrote: »
    Cats!
    Ive never had cats (my mother disliked them and 'taught' us to dislike them growing up) - but since Ive got two ex-ferals Im a total cat slave.

Second arrival was half dead, skeletal, feral when she arrived. Took 6 months of feeding her several times/day, sitting close to her while she ate, before she even let me touch her. Now shes fat (well actually obese), totally tame, lives in the house, and is the BEST cat on the planet :D Because of her horrendous start in life, I refuse her nothing (shes about 4 years old, the vets reckoned) - but the little maggot is now getting fussy about her food :(:( Our first arrival - beautiful long haired tuxedo, found as a tiny kitten, has always been very very fussy - no real interest in food - only best quality catfood, tuna, probiotic yogurt, and nothing else - literally. Now fatty cat is pulling the same stunt - though she will eat any meat. What are you all feeding your cats. Raw chicken I thought would be good for fatty cat, but she prefers cooked please. Anything else to feed her - looking for suggestions/ideas please (and if it might tempt fussy cat all the better)

Fussy cat ? Not here. One of my three tried that and now eats the same as the others. despite the wide, anguished eyes and utterly pathetic wails... Loves her food now.. five cats on a small pension and no access to shops is enough without special food for me or them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Anyone notice an... outbreak of fleas lately?

The past month I've been interacting with dozens of people reporting issues with fleas.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Advertisement

when I open the door these summer mornings, a tide of cats flows in, at high speed... when I count to five, out comes the raw chicken... crunching, then silence as they sleep, replete after a busy night out..these days I am running a cat hotel...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Graces7 wrote: »
    when I open the door these summer mornings, a tide of cats flows in, at high speed... when I count to five, out comes the raw chicken... crunching, then silence as they sleep, replete after a busy night out..these days I am running a cat hotel...

Hope your charging room & board :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

VonVix wrote: »

The past month I've been interacting with dozens of people reporting issues with fleas.

Thankfully not. That's my worst nightmare.

em_cat wrote: »
    Hope your charging room & board :)

Yeah ... cuddles and purrs and keep the rats etc away! :pac:

Choc Chip wrote: »
    Thankfully not. That's my worst nightmare.

I agree;; do they spread cat to cat? If so we should be safe enough out here!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

Graces7 wrote: »
    I agree;; do they spread cat to cat? If so we should be safe enough out here!

Not just other cats. As far as I'm aware they can catch them from other animals like rodents, or the fleas can breed outside and the cats can pick them up from grass etc. Ick.

Choc Chip wrote: »
    Not just other cats. As far as I'm aware they can catch them from other animals like rodents, or the fleas can breed outside and the cats can pick them up from grass etc. Ick.

we are very isolated out here on a small island and only 2 other resident cats...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

VonVix wrote: »

Yep, seeing a lot the last month or so when dogs are coming in to be groomed. Not super heavy infestations but lots of dogs with a small amount of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My lovely Bailey is 10 today!! :D:D where does the time go

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BAILEY!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

tk123 wrote:
    My lovely Bailey is 10 today!! where does the time go

Happy Birthday Bailey, hope he will be spoiled rotten

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Do you know what happens when a dog eats catfood?

He is a bit mopey for two days and then suddenly pukes up four crumpled catfood sachets :D

(By the shreds on the floor we had supposed that he had shredded one pouch, eaten the contents and perhaps swallowed two or three pieces of pouch...that's why he was under supervision and found to be a bit mopey...never had we realised that the little sh*t managed to steal a total of four, open them all, get some of the catfood out and impatiently swallow the rest whole)

peasant wrote: »
    Do you know what happens when a dog eats catfood?

He is a bit mopey for two days and then suddenly pukes up four crumpled catfood sachets :D

(By the shreds on the floor we had supposed that he had shredded one pouch, eaten the contents and perhaps swallowed two or three pieces of pouch...that's why he was under supervision and found to be a bit mopey...never had we realised that the little sh*t managed to steal a total of four, open them all, get some of the catfood out and impatiently swallow the rest whole)

The pouch is the damaging thing more than the food ..

Was once given 12 tins of cat food by a neighbour who had bought it bymistake and totally believed that it would make her dog blind?

ah read this..

https://www.petmd.com/blogs/dailyvet/2009/August/21-4582

Interesting timing as when my fortnightly grocery order arrived yesterday they has send 24 tins of dog food when I had ordered cat food... Cannot send it back so will mix it in with cat food. Have done it before... for the same reason. NB the tinned food is only as a small second meal as their main food is raw chicken.

Hope the dog recovers fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

A bit of a random one, but does anyone know where I could buy a poop bag dispenser that I could hang up outside? Getting tired of people not telling me their dogs have went in my garden so I don’t discover it til I walk in it so I’m being cautiously optimistic and hoping if I put up a bag dispenser people might get the hint :pac:

one of many youtube diy ideas!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBUHI5Mmy7o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

A bit of a random one, but does anyone know where I could buy a poop bag dispenser that I could hang up outside? Getting tired of people not telling me their dogs have went in my garden so I don’t discover it til I walk in it so I’m being cautiously optimistic and hoping if I put up a bag dispenser people might get the hint :pac:

I’d Hang up a ton of those key ring bone ones from deals all along the path lol

I had to attend an appointment yesterday so it was one the first times Esmae was alone with Mr C for a couple of hours, well it went spectacularly bad :)

It was so awful that when I got back the two had been asleep in the same bed, both buried under a blanket with one paw & a poof tail sticking out! I was a bit jealous cause it’s obvs she didn’t miss me at all :(

em_cat wrote: »
    I had to attend an appointment yesterday so it was one the first times Esmae was alone with Mr C for a couple of hours, well it went spectacularly bad :)

It was so awful that when I got back the two had been asleep in the same bed, both buried under a blanket with one paw & a poof tail sticking out! I was a bit jealous cause it’s obvs she didn’t miss me at all :(

aw she did! Sought second best as comfort!

Just in from my early marathon to the Church I take care of. Left at 5 am.. followed of course by my five. Oh they had a mighty fun time in the Church as I cleaned and tidied! love the oceanside lanes at this hour.

On the way back, the three new ones split off and raced atop a laneside hillock. Streaking after each other, running and leaping while we three, old cat, middle aged act, and very old catperson watched in sheer delight. The sheer joy and energy of these three young rescues..

Jacob, the middle aged one still is not totally happy with these "noisy" young things and has to be persuaded to come along..

home to raw chicken breakfast for them.. yum! What a life ! lip licking now going on!

learning what life without cats must be like.... mine have all vanished nesting in the warm sun here! Seen one all afternoon and she was after food.... I know where some will be but not seeking... utterly glorious day. But kind of lonely!

LATER: 3 have dropped in for food then vanished again! cat hotel here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Went along to a puppy class in my local pet store today. It's really a good way for a trainer to get business.

Anyway, it was refreshing to hear someone talk about a dog as though it were a dog and not a person.

Starting with him for training.. the pup (not me) this week.:)

Went along to a puppy class in my local pet store today. It's really a good way for a trainer to get business.

Anyway, it was refreshing to hear someone talk about a dog as though it were a dog and not a person.

Starting with him for training.. the pup (not me) this week.:)

Do a lot of trainers talk about dogs like they are people? Our Esmae thinks she’s people always walking on her back two legs next to me. It’s just one of her many tricks to get something she wants...

all fed and either flat or out flat ;) The tiny shiny one stays out 24 hours sometimes; maybe ... takeaway :eek:

Even though I know they are safe it is always a relief to open the door and let the furry tide flow in..

THAT FACE! My oldest. 15 years, waking from a deep sleep

• Advertisement

Advertisement