Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You're €44,365 in debt. All set for another recession?

Options

Comments

codrulz wrote: »
    The US is around 108% Debt:GDP.. Japan would be very high compared to most other large/developed economies at over 250%.
    You can't compare Ireland to the USA. The latter is single-handedly responsible for the only real world-reserve currency.

Ireland and its economy is like Pat Kenny: big at home, but meaningless abroad. And our economy is not so sheltered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

How about sending a drone rocket thing, shaped like a crab into orbit, and grabbing one of those random asteriods.
    Sure they're always saying they're full of diamonds, precious metals and gold.

When caught, fling it back down towards field in leitrim, and get the locals with axes out to chilsel away at it.
    Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

How about sending a drone rocket thing, shaped like a crab into orbit, and grabbing one of those random asteriods.
    Sure they're always saying they're full of diamonds, precious metals and gold.

When caught, fling it back down towards field in leitrim, and get the locals with axes out to chilsel away at it.
    Job done.

I can't wait for this. Some day i'll sit into my car and go down to the local Dairygold

"Can I get a pack of copper screws please?..............Nah f*ck it I'll go for the 24 carat gold ones altogether"

• Registered Users Posts: 33,763 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Your Face wrote: »
    I'm currently upskilling and as soon as I'm finished my various courses - I'll be looking to emigrate for good.

I do enjoy the wheeze that elsewhere is better. That's the hilarious part.

The oul grass is greener stuff is gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Its over 100k for every person working in the economy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,412 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

listermint wrote: »

Obviously weren't around in the eighties.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Lots of debt, all being serviced by my tenants.

Long may you run O Glorious Rental Crisis!!

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

Is this the governments debt or consumer/household debt?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

I have zero debt.

Not only that. No member of my family has any debt at all not even a car loan.

And yes we own cars and property.
    hows the 88 fiesta these days? She still going strong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I’m over 200k in debt, so can I share our some of that to 4 other people? It only seems fair we share the load

• Advertisement

El_Bee wrote: »
    Government debt.

Don't even lets get started on private debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,941 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

public or government debt, nothing to truly worry about

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Public, but it mostly just gets rolled over and we'll all be dead and gone when a future generation frets about their public debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

listermint wrote: »
    Many of the QLI reports would suggest there is some '(lol) measurable hierarchy'

https://www.internations.org/expat-insider/2018/quality-of-life-index-39586
    (ranked 46, one behind the UK, but one ahead of the US).

However some others (Economist Intelligence Unit) ranked Ire at #12, but that was back in 2013. Of course much of it is subjective and each study may set it's own criteria and value.

'A nice bit of weather' should perhaps carry more weight than other factors. Sure everyone loves a bit of sunny beach time.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

Government debt.

Don't even lets get started on private debt.

Yeah I think the bigger issue is household debt, I think we're may more exposed than we were in 2007/8

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

I have zero debt.

Not only that. No member of my family has any debt at all not even a car loan.

And yes we own cars and property.

Where do we sign up?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Subtract the number of lifelong dole scroungers and recalculate the per capita figure if you want to make yourself cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

ATNM it's averagely bad, no? Our D2GDP% is lower than Canada's and a bit higher than Finland's.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,941 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Subtract the number of lifelong dole scroungers and recalculate the per capita figure if you want to make yourself cry.

public debt isnt really much of a problem, as others have said, globally, private debt levels are far more significant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

A solution would be to temporarily switch to a grass based currency and pay off our debt with it, before switching back to the euro.

It sounds like cheating but it's not. Large banks have used laughable tricks like this in court, pertaining to funds amounting to hundreds of trillions and gotten away with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    public debt isnt really much of a problem, as others have said,

How can it not be a problem....if we hit a wobble econmically or eurozone deos (and lets face it,this is a strong strong possibility),we will need another bailout....given our level of debt,it wont be servicable....its pure head in sand stuff to say "it nathin to worry about"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Take it out of our dole. Fiver a week.

Nah what about €150...

Saying we are a banana Republic is moronic, we're one of the most open economies in the world. The exact opposite of a banana republic.

We do have the problem of all democracies (the worst form of government bar all others) in that politicians need to get elected every five years or so by popular vote.

FF continuously bought elections time and again and the Irish electorate were complicit.

Every now and then FF were so poor FG and another party got it in. But only after the economy hit rock bottom and unpopular or stupid (VAT on children's shoes) policies meant FF were welcomed back with open arms at the next election. It was like the abusive partner being asked back into the marital bed.

The most recent and spectacular shít show has given FG and partners more time, but already the people are begging to suck FF cok once more. That's what disappoints me about the Irish system.

FG should be able to pay off the national debt, but if they did they'd be holding the reins just to pass onto FF at the next general election.

Hobosan wrote: »
    A solution would be to temporarily switch to a grass based currency and pay off our debt with it, before switching back to the euro.

It sounds like cheating but it's not. Large banks have used laughable tricks like this in court, pertaining to funds amounting to hundreds of trillions and gotten away with it!

The more laughable the better. Sure the whole financial system is only pretend anyway. For some reason the politicians are deathly afraid of using such tactics though

_blaaz wrote: »
    How can it not be a problem....if we hit a wobble econmically or eurozone deos (and lets face it,this is a strong strong possibility),we will need another bailout....given our level of debt,it wont be servicable....its pure head in sand stuff to say "it nathin to worry about"
    Looming recession or not this is not 2009 all over again. In the main debt is for public spending and replacing other more expensive debt. Our repayments are affordable. Some austerity Budgets would take care of how much we'd require.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Looming recession or not this is not 2009 all over again. In the main debt is for public spending and replacing other more expensive debt. Our repayments are affordable. Some austerity Budgets would take care of how much we'd require.

Who would put up with more austerity budgets?

During the last recession FFG have already pushed the average revenue per hapless working individual up by several 1000 and it hasn't come down much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

We paid 35 billion last 5 years in interest payments.

If ireland for whatever reason stuggles to raise money again,we would require a bailout....there isnt 7 billion of cuts to be made in the economy (no mind trying to reraise principal!),many public services are at creaking point as it is due to population increase??

Who would put up with more austerity budgets?

During the last recession FFG have already pushed the average revenue per hapless working individual up by several 1000 and it hasn't come down much
    If needed we'd have no choice to keep things under control. I'd expect that control to be on spending and not the extreme measures that had to be taken between 2009-2014. Revenue per person doesn't matter at all as it's never really repaid.

• Advertisement

If needed we'd have no choice to keep things under control. I'd expect that control to be on spending and not the extreme measures that had to be taken between 2009-2014. Revenue per person doesn't matter at all as it's never really repaid.

It matters to the person paying it. I would prefer if we used some unorthodox or laughable tactic to shake off this debt, burn it into the constitution that no government can take on debt again and be done with this nonsense. Investors are essentially living off our backs because our government has never been able to control its spending

Advertisement