Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You're €44,365 in debt. All set for another recession?

Options
  • 12-07-2019 4:39pm

The national debt per capita is actually on the increase. It currently stands at €44,365 per person.

It's quite refreshing to see the media ackowledge this, outside of the normal news cycle -- but of course, it isn't an historical conversation. This money is repeatedly falling due, and we're paying it.

These figures won't surprise most people, but we should never forget the sheer scale of our national debt (an even smaller figure than our GGD/ public debt), which has quadrupled since the beginning of the great recession.

We're also heading into deeply uncertain times, and another recession is probably now overdue.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/ireland-s-debt-44-365-is-owed-by-every-man-woman-and-child-in-the-state-1.3954806
    The Government has been repeatedly warned that having such a large debt pile leaves the economy more at risk to shocks such as Brexit.
    The figures show that General Government Net Debt stood at €215.5 billion at the end of the first quarter of this year, which equates to 65.6 per cent of gross domestic product (GDP), the standard measure of national income.

This compares with a debt level of 63.6 per cent of GDP at the end of last year. The increase in the debt ratio is due mainly to increased net issuance of short-term and long-term debt securities of €3.6 billion and €4.7 billion respectively, the CSO said.

How are ye fixed for the next economic crisis?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

The solution is easy - more immigrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I have zero debt.

Not only that. No member of my family has any debt at all not even a car loan.

And yes we own cars and property.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Can we start a cull, or how about sign up sheets for murder suicides. Though in saying that I really enjoyed the government cheese that last time we were broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭GMSA

My bank statement says otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm well in profit surplus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

My wages are still recovering from previous crash. I'm not getting any joy out of this supposed new boom. Who is making all the money?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Plenty of cash in the bank and other places.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Take it out of our dole. Fiver a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Plenty of cash in the bank and other places.

Do tell.

I have zero debt.
    You don't though.

This isn't some abstract hypothesis. It's a real debt, actual cash, and these are real borrowings. They are reflected in your tax contributions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

€44,365, I wish, way more than that. Up t'me bollicks in debt so I am

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Not another red cent....

Oh wait :);)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

i have no debts so count me out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Who do I send a cheque to to clear my share and have it done with?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

My wages are still recovering from previous crash. I'm not getting any joy out of this supposed new boom. Who is making all the money?

The rich and/or powerful

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

40 odd grand - is that all it is?

Bastards in the bank were trying to stick me for 80k on their statement! The leprechaun economics cnuts.

Who so I send a cheque to to clear my share and have it done with?
    "We regret to inform you that although you have cleared your balance, a new debt will automatically apply in January"

I'm not some libertarian -- far from it -- almost every country bar North Korea has a national debt.

The scale of ours is what's shocking, and sometimes I think we've almost shrugged our shoulders and forgotten it.

We won't be long recalling it during the next recession.

The national debt per capita is actually on the increase. It currently stands at €44,365 per person.

It's quite refreshing to see the media ackowledge this, outside of the normal news cycle -- but of course, it isn't an historical conversation. This money is repeatedly falling due, and we're paying it.

These figures won't surprise most people, but we should never forget the sheer scale of our national debt (an even smaller figure than our GGD/ public debt), which has quadrupled since the beginning of the great recession.

We're also heading into deeply uncertain times, and another recession is probably now overdue.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/ireland-s-debt-44-365-is-owed-by-every-man-woman-and-child-in-the-state-1.3954806

Jez will ya stop being such a misery guts and go on and spend spend spend- it will all get cancelled anyway as no country in the world have the capacity to pay off their debts

• Registered Users Posts: 21,491 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Does that include mortgage debt?

A shocking level of debt if it is only credit cards and personal loans

EDIT: never mind, it's postulating around the national debt. National debt per capita is irrelevant once you can afford the repayments.
    A prime example of a useful sounding statistic that is actually nothing but useless populist tripe

ELM327 wrote: »

No, that's the money that is owed by the taxpayer on behalf of Government.

There isn't a cent of private debt counted in that figure, which we're all on the hook for, should the banks encounter any more difficulties.

EDIT: never mind, it's postulating around the national debt. National debt per capita is irrelevant once you can afford the repayments.
    A prime example of a useful sounding statistic that is actually nothing but useless populist tripe
    "Populist tripe"?

It's one of the biggest debt obligations worldwide.

• Advertisement

Yes but we don't need to pay it all down. Service the loan, pay some capital in the good times (now) and roll the rest of it over.

State (ie taxpayer) debt is not populist tripe, far from it. But equating it to per capita to get clicks is just nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Sweet, i'm 50% of the national average! Thought I was on the higher end of personal debt. Yurt!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,903 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I have to really think about this. We seem to have plenty of billions to throw at BB and the NCH in James, various infrastructural projects and so on, but very little for building social housing, public transport and Healthcare etc..

I'm not concerned for my own situation thankfully. Went round the block the last time, so have built up a rainy day fund now. However, I am expecting a downturn if No Deal Brexit happens. Even if it doesn't, the uncertainty surrounding it has begun to trickle down a bit I think. Houses are not selling as quickly, and sale prices are flat. That is not a problem in itself, but may mirror a shrinking of confidence.

Yes but we don't need to pay it all down. Service the loan, pay some capital in the good times (now) and roll the rest of it over.

State (ie taxpayer) debt is not populist tripe, far from it. But equating it to per capita to get clicks is just nonsense.
    I used to argue that exact same point. But it only makes sense if the debt isn't growing, and/or if economic conditions remain constant, with no (or negligible) risk of a recession.

If either of those conditions aren't met, you have trouble.

We have a huge GGD. A recession is probably statistically, overdue.

You see where I'm going with this?

i mean it would be entirely redundant to point out that's not how national debt works

wouldnt....it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I'd happily take the 44,365 to be honest. I owe about 10 times that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I'm currently upskilling and as soon as I'm finished my various courses - I'll be looking to emigrate for good.

i mean it would be entirely redundant to point out that's not how national debt works

wouldnt....it?
    I think anyone who has lived through the last recession knows how public debt/ National Debt/ GGD works.

So do ratings agencies and financial institutions who keep a careful eye on our metrics, and decide the sustainability of our debt.

I used to argue that exact same point. But it only makes sense if the debt isn't growing, and/or if economic conditions remain constant, with no (or negligible) risk of a recession.

If either of those conditions aren't met, you have trouble.

We have a huge GGD. A recession is probably statistically, overdue.

You see where I'm going with this?
    we will in all likelihood have a recession (probably minor) in the next 18-24 months. Granted.

We should have been making payments off the capital since about 2014 rather than bowing to the screeches of the extreme left for pay increases.

However in a banana republic like ours we elect loonies and pay the price (literally) in the poor governance we receive.

It should be paid down in the good times, but (and this is my point) painting the picture of the per capita figure implies that it all needs to be paid back and ASAP. When in reality a majority of national debt is serviced and rolled over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

What's needed here are more shopping trips to New York and decking, lots of decking.

Advertisement