Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TII Motorway Service Areas (MSA) Progress Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭blackwhite

ongarboy wrote: »
    Maxol seem to be paired with Abrakebabra and Bagel Factory of late while Texaco pairs with Supermacs if I'm not mistaken?

Texaco are basically a dealer network in Ireland. Privately owned petrol stations that take supply and branding from Valero.
    The “Plaza Group” is a Pat McDonagh venture where he used his own Supermacs brand for the food offering, and then takes a supply deal with Valero for Texaco branding on the forecourt.

Anybody else going with a Texaco dealer contract is still free to take on a franchise from any other fast food retailer they can agree a deal with.

Maxol’s network is largely owned and operated by Maxol - so they’ve a central partnership with Abra.

Same applies for Applegreen/BK and Circle K/McD - any sites owned and operated by the actual fuel company are tied to the companies’ official partner.

However both Circle K and Applegreen have extensive networks of dealer owned/operated sites and you’ll find some instances of those sites paired with an alternative partner

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

The other difference is that Applegreen own and manage the BK franchises in those sites, while the McDonalds’ stores have nothing to do with Circle K and are managed by McDonald’s franchises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Maxol on the N3 has Supermacs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Anyone know if there's any progress on the M3 and M18 MSAs? The next batch after the ones this year open.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

spacetweek wrote: »
    Anyone know if there's any progress on the M3 and M18 MSAs? The next batch after the ones this year open.

Most information to date has been from t4msa.ie

No updates on there since 2017

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

marno21 wrote: »
    Most information to date has been from t4msa.ie

No updates on there since 2017

Projects are on hold for past 12 months

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

How are the M6 Athlone East and M9 Kilcullen MSAs coming along? When might they be due to open?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Official line is still Kilcullen October, Athlone November.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭serfboard

A pure layman here so it's likely that commissioning is maybe more complex than I imagine, but the last time I passed Athlone they were flying along with the building and I find it hard to believe that there's still another three and a half months left (builders holidays included).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Circle K is already advertising for staff for its shop/deli etc for Kilcullen so I imagine they'd need about 3 months lead time to advertise, interview, train new employees etc. Their ad just says opening later this year.

https://workwithus.circlek.com/job/fresh-food-manager-kilcullen-co-kildare/J3Q86P71QSHTNLVZFS5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Was in the spanking new Circke K Gorey service area on the M11. Very impressed. Very well laid out, open 24 hours, interior fitted out to a high standard, much superior to the Applegreen ones IMO.

Have used this a few times now, nice centre, but was in it twice last week and had my coffee/snack in my car on both occasions. Centre was packed with kids and the noise level was something else as gangs of kids ran wild about the place. Obviously the McDonalds is a big draw for the greater holiday area. Wasn't even raining at the time. Will give it a miss during holiday times in future.

Meant to post here that I passed the Athlone one last week and they're flying along. They were tarmacing the internal roads and associated roundabouts when I passed. I imagine it will be open in October, or even late September by the looks of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭sidcon

serfboard wrote: »
    Meant to post here that I passed the Athlone one last week and they're flying along. They were tarmacing the internal roads and associated roundabouts when I passed. I imagine it will be open in October, or even late September by the looks of things.

Hearing around 14th of Sept

wytek wrote: »
    I would say that's because the operate shops/supermarkets in the USA in 50 states not just petrol stations and just bought holiday oil in US as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

sidcon wrote: »
    Hearing around 14th of Sept

we have been asked to deliver stock into site next week so may be sooner

vickers209 wrote: »
    we have been asked to deliver stock into site next week so may be sooner
    12th according to LinkedIn

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

So are Circle K on their own in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

sidcon wrote: »
    12th according to LinkedIn
    good to know.

Its also already on google maps as "Circle K Future Services" which is surprising seeing as they are normally so slow to update their maps with potential road openings and whatnot.
    https://goo.gl/maps/ZbuGwWHihX9KjQKz6

It'll probably take them over 12 months to update it with info that its open and has petrol and food !

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

good to know.

Its also already on google maps as "Circle K Future Services" which is surprising seeing as they are normally so slow to update their maps with potential road openings and whatnot.
    https://goo.gl/maps/ZbuGwWHihX9KjQKz6

It'll probably take them over 12 months to update it with info that its open and has petrol and food !

Looks great and ready to go. :) Will there be a McDonalds at this new services?

Any further info on when M9 Kilcullen will be opening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bg07

From a Circle K email;
    Circle K wrote:

Brand New CIrcle K Motorway site opening at Athlone M6

We are proud to announce the opening of a brand new motorway site on the M6 between J7 (Moate) and J8 (Athlone). The site will boast several amenities for you and your drivers, and expands Circle K's ever growing network.

A grand opening will take place on the 13th of September with some brilliant in-store offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

McDonalds included. Gantry and roadside signage gone up in the past day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭road_high

What’s going into Kilcullen- Circle K but what else? Looking forward to that as one I’ll genuinely use due to the location.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Kevtherev1

road_high wrote: »
    What’s going into Kilcullen- Circle K but what else? Looking forward to that as one I’ll genuinely use due to the location.

Kilcullen MSA- The last we heard was it would open sometime in October 2019. We havent heard of what its current progress is. Circle K operations where likely prioritizing East Athone MSA first to take advantage of Galway and Centre Parks Traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Ninesell

M6 Athlone East opened today.

Kevtherev1 wrote: »
    Circle K operations where likely prioritizing East Athone MSA first to take advantage of Galway and Centre Parks Traffic
    That wouldn't make any sense though, because the daily traffic near the M6 site is 17.5K, whereas the traffic near the M9 site is 22.5K.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Ninesell wrote: »
    M6 Athlone East opened today.

Called in on my way home, pretty much a carbon copy of Gorey.
    Official opening is tomorrow.
    https://www.facebook.com/events/355657098357013/

We're celebrating the grand opening of our new site at Circle K Athlone M6 from 10am - 7pm. To mark the occasion motorists can fuel up with miles for 10c less per litre all day (from 12.00am to 11.59pm)!

In addition to the fuel offer, the following instore offers will be available at Circle K m6 Athlone on Friday 13th September only:
    • Spinning wheel competitions
    • €2 Real Hot Dogs
    • 50% off any purchase from the Circle K deli range
    • Free pastry with any purchase of Simply Great Coffee
    ..and other surprises on the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Ninesell

It does look very similar to the Gorey store. I haven’t been there so basing that on online footage! I didn’t see Cantina in the Athlone service station.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭road_high

serfboard wrote: »
    That wouldn't make any sense though, because the daily traffic near the M6 site is 17.5K, whereas the traffic near the M9 site is 22.5K.

I was going to post the same- M9 busier, I’d say it’s just how the works have panned out. May not even have started the same time and different site conditions etc. At Kilcullen they appeared to have had a lot of site leveling to do from what I could see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Bards

Amazing that the M9 (white elephant) is busier than the M6

Advertisement