Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air BnB [and other platforms] to be effectively outlawed in high demand areas

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Jamsiek wrote: »
    Looks like you need things spelled out for you so here goes...
    This is the comment I was replying to. I wasn't referring to a vacant property.

So there is no relavance to my question about the legal ramifications of leaviung a property vacant.

What are those legal ramifications?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

4ensic15 wrote: »
    So there is no relavance to my question about the legal ramifications of leaviung a property vacant.

What are those legal ramifications?

I'm not repeating myself again.
    I'm not referring to leaving properties vacant.
    You're asking about something I never referred to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

I'm not repeating myself again.
    I'm not referring to leaving properties vacant.
    You're asking about something I never referred to.

You referred to legal ramifications. That is what i am asking about. Were you making it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

4ensic15 wrote: »
    You referred to legal ramifications. That is what i am asking about. Were you making it up?

I said there were legal ramifications to tax evasion
    Nothing about leaving your house vacant
    Is this news to you? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Take it to PM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

This is the comment I was replying to. I wasn't referring to a vacant property.
    It seems 4ensic15 is correct; there is no vacant property tax yet.
    The market will still be there anyway and the cost of buying to live will become more affordable as a result.
    Actually, no. The powers that be were content to put a cap on how tall apartment buildings could have been built in the past, and too late have gotten rid of the rule. Had they gotten rid of the rule whilst buildings were being built in Dublin city centre, we may not have been in the crisis that we are in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hong9651

Under the new regulations:
    • ‘Short-term letting’ is defined as the letting of a house or apartment, or part of a house or apartment, for any period not exceeding 14 days.
    • If you share a spare room or rooms in your own home (your ‘Principal Primary Residence’ or ‘PPR’), you can do so all year round but you must notify your local authority annually.
    • If you share your entire PPR while you are away, you can do so for up to 90 days of the year, but you must notify your local authority.
    • If you share your entire PPR for more than 90 days of the year, you must apply for a change of use planning permission from your local authority.
    • If you own a property which is not your PPR, and you use it for short-term letting, you must apply for a change of use planning permission from your local authority.

Does the new law mean that the landlord is allowed to let the apartment to tenants who will stay 14+ days at a time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

hong9651 wrote: »
    Under the new regulations

Does the new law mean that the landlord is allowed to let the apartment to tenants who will stay 14+ days at a time?

Yes, as does not qualify as short term letting under the definition if it's greater than 14 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

<SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭dontparkhere

I’m new to Airbnb this year.
    Majority of guests have been American and all bar 1 were from abroad.
    Renting a property to someone located here is just redistributing money (most likely from asset poor to asset rich) whereas with hosting tourists you are bringing new money into the economy.

Disclaimer:I haven’t read through much of this thread and this has most likely been said multiple times before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CoffeeBean2

I'm going to grab some popcorn, this should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

I'm going to grab some popcorn, this should be good.

Hahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 7,716 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

hosting tourists you are bringing new money into the economy.

Disclaimer:I haven’t read through much of this thread and this has most likely been said multiple times before.

Ah, I see... Good point well made.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,716 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Renting a property to someone located here is just redistributing money (most likely from asset poor to asset rich) whereas with hosting tourists you are bringing new money into the economy.

THe one thing the tourism industry needs is high quality thinkers like yourself running the main point of contact between the country & it's guests... and it seems by your comment that you are personally attracting these new visitors. Well done to you.

I look forward to recieving my share of the gains you have generated.

If you’re letting a whole property, I assume that you’ve gotten planning permission and are paying tax on your profits as well as business rates. That way we all benefit from your entrepreneurial spirit.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    THe one thing the tourism industry needs is high quality thinkers like yourself running the main point of contact between the country & it's guests... and it seems by your comment that you are personally attracting these new visitors. Well done to you.

I look forward to recieving my share of the gains you have generated.

Should have read this thread first, a touchy subject I see.

You must be mistaken, I host Airbnb guests I’m not the entrepreneur who designed the service.

What do you mean tax? Tourism works in the cash economy?

I operate within the law, pay my taxes and the rest most likely stays in the local economy. I am not a large chain of hotels that pays minimum wage and sucks whatever profits they can out of the country.

While I agree with regulation of airbnb, Ireland is expensive and needs to be a competitive place for tourists and Airbnb (and others) offers this.

Private landlords are becoming fewer with the drive for “professionalism” off the industry.
    Ultimately there will be fewer indivials and larger companies who pay less tax and take profits out of the country, resulting in reduced competition

I am beginning to ramble, I am not a landlord it is my own home

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You are liable for tax on the AirBnB earnings and Revenue will already know how much you have taken in

The "cash economy" is more correctly known as tax evasion

• Registered Users Posts: 14,068 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

L1011 wrote: »
    You are liable for tax on the AirBnB earnings and Revenue will already know how much you have taken in

I think that one went over your head, the poster was being sarcastic, anyone who Hosts on Airbnb is aware details of income earned goes to Revenue.

Dav010 wrote: »
    I think that one went over your head, the poster was being sarcastic, anyone who Hosts on Airbnb is aware details of income earned goes to Revenue.

I'll let the poster state if they were being sarcastic rather than assuming.

I'll let the poster state if they were being sarcastic rather than assuming.

The first line of the next paragraph was the giveaway. Just saying.

• Advertisement

Dav010 wrote: »
    The first line of the next paragraph was the giveaway. Just saying.

Or of lack of knowledge.

This is pointless and off topic - drop it now.

Tongue in cheek comment, just being a bit smart :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

If it was up to me AirBnB and other rogue landlords would have their property seized by the state and redistributed to those in need of social housing. FG don't have the balls to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭arctictree

If you’re letting a whole property, I assume that you’ve gotten planning permission and are paying tax on your profits as well as business rates. That way we all benefit from your entrepreneurial spirit.

You have to pay business rates if you let out a property? First I heard of that.

If it was up to me AirBnB and other rogue landlords would have their property seized by the state and redistributed to those in need of social housing. FG don't have the balls to do it.

Thankfully it is not up to you, that certainly would be an interesting piece of legislation, reminiscent of communism in Stalinist Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CoffeeBean2

Spot on, we should take from those that have, and give to those that haven't.

Those that formally had should be publicly punished. And those that formally didn't have, but now have due to the redistribution, should also be publicly punished. Punishment all around I say, who's with me?

And for that one poster who can't spot sarcasm ^^^

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Spot on, we should take from those that have, and give to those that haven't.

Those that formally had should be publicly punished. And those that formally didn't have, but now have due to the redistribution, should also be publicly punished. Punishment all around I say, who's with me?

And for that one poster who can't spot sarcasm ^^^
    Your type prefer to take from the poor and give to the rich. It's why we have record homelessness and social decay while the millionaire/billionaire landlords take more and more.
    I could educate you on the global banking system, the failures of Fine Gael and US multinationals stealing the wealth of our people but it is off topic and I will obey moderator instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

That's exactly what they're doing with getting a HAP tenant in and finding any excuse not to pay HAP. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Your type prefer to take from the poor and give to the rich. It's why we have record homelessness and social decay while the millionaire/billionaire landlords take more and more.
    I could educate you on the global banking system, the failures of Fine Gael and US multinationals stealing the wealth of our people but it is off topic and I will obey moderator instructions.

You're aware the vast majority of LL's own one property for BTL? Hardly millionaires and billionaires.

• Advertisement

Ha ha, that’s a lot of nonsense for one paragraph.

Us multinationals stealing the wealth of our people being one of the highlights, considering they are an absolutely crucial part of our economy, provide massive employment and provide a large number of our highly skilled/highly paid jobs.

I can tell you one thing for sure, there is no one working in multinationals that are homeless.

Advertisement