Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,320 ✭✭✭✭noodler

nix wrote: »
    About 6 hours into DQ XI, can only play in short bursts so far, feel like im playing postman pat the game with the animation and voice acting.. Its hard going...

Does it pick up A LOT by the 20 hour mark? I'm just after getting the red jewel for the rogue lad..

I'm a few hours ahead of you.

It has picked up a bit.

I hope it picks up more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

About 6 hours into DQ XI, can only play in short bursts so far, feel like im playing postman pat the game with the animation and voice acting.. Its hard going...

Does it pick up A LOT by the 20 hour mark? I'm just after getting the red jewel for the rogue lad..

I would not say it picks up, more that it opens up after about 15 or so hours when you finish up in Gondolia, but to be honest if you are not liking the questing, combat or the hand holding it does not change till you finish the game 100 plus hours later.

The story does progress more and becomes more interesting with a few twists, but this is probably the most simplistic and beginner friendly entry in the series.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,230 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Dragon Quest games are famously/notoriously slow. I’ve played a few (oddly never past the 20 hour mark) but they’ve always taken ages to warm up. The basic combat is just that - basic. They’re never in any rush to start opening the game up and offering you more options - they do in time, but if XI is like the others you’ll be waiting a while.

VIII is my only point of reference but I loved that.

I'll be sticking with it to sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭skerry

Noticing a decent increase in difficulty in the 3rd palace in Persona 5. A lot of enemies that seemingly have no weakness and the feeling that any encounter could result in me getting wiped out. Oni dudes are a pain in the arse as are the red horse guys (think the latter are weak to fire but I don't have a fire persona on my team at the moment but that can be fixed)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭megaten

skerry wrote: »
    Noticing a decent increase in difficulty in the 3rd palace in Persona 5. A lot of enemies that seemingly have no weakness and the feeling that any encounter could result in me getting wiped out. Oni dudes are a pain in the arse as are the red horse guys (think the latter are weak to fire but I don't have a fire persona on my team at the moment but that can be fixed)

There's some status effects that work very well on the Oni demons, forget which one though. EDIT: you might have brainwash at that stage? It will give you a technical bonus with nuclear or spy attacks once inflicted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,010 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Welcome to shin megami Tensei games.

megaten wrote: »
    There's some status effects that work very well on the Oni demons, forget which one though. EDIT: you might have brainwash at that stage? It will give you a technical bonus with nuclear or spy attacks once inflicted.

Pretty sure I have Brainwash so will give that a go. Definitely have Confuse cos I was using it for the Memento's money exploit a couple of nights where you Confuse the boss and then guard and repeat the process until you run out of SP. He was dropping 30k yen on the floor in place of most attacks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Gyan84

After 130 hours, finished my two playthroughs of persona 5 last week and got all the trophies as well. Managed to get all the social links maxed in my first playthrough without a guide which was a massive change to persona 4 golden. The best confidant to prioritize is the fortune teller because she makes the rest of them easier to level up although it costs 100k to start her social link.

I still prefer persona 4 golden but the style and general presentation of 5 is unmatched.

Some minor gripes:

I enjoy the mainline smt games as well but I wish they left the persona negotiation to those games and kept the shuffle time from p4.

Some of the dungeons were a bit drawn out,most notably the second last one
    the rat puzzles and needing the 4 letters to open the door felt like pointless padding

There should've been an option to throw the cat into a shelter once he started dictating your bedtime :pac:

Mid game
    The conflict between Ryuji and Morgana was entirely pointless and Morgana deserved it since he's always annoying Ryuji

End Game
    The whole final dungeon with the fighting angels to fight some random god was so so generic. Doubly so because they used literally the same concept as the ending for one of the 3ds smt games.

I also hated Igor's voice acting. I know it's revealed at the end why it's different but even the few lines he has as himself at the end sound like a poor imitation of Persona 4 where he sounded much better.

Still though it's one of my favourite games although I'd buy a persona cart racing game if they released it so I'm not exactly the harshest critic :pac:

Gyan84 wrote: »
    After 130 hours, finished my two playthroughs of persona 5 last week and got all the trophies as well. Managed to get all the social links maxed in my first playthrough without a guide which was a massive change to persona 4 golden. The best confidant to prioritize is the fortune teller because she makes the rest of them easier to level up although it costs 100k to start her social link.

I still prefer persona 4 golden but the style and general presentation of 5 is unmatched.

Some minor gripes:

I enjoy the mainline smt games as well but I wish they left the persona negotiation to those games and kept the shuffle time from p4.

Some of the dungeons were a bit drawn out,most notably the second last one
    the rat puzzles and needing the 4 letters to open the door felt like pointless padding

There should've been an option to throw the cat into a shelter once he started dictating your bedtime :pac:

Mid game
    The conflict between Ryuji and Morgana was entirely pointless and Morgana deserved it since he's always annoying Ryuji

End Game
    The whole final dungeon with the fighting angels to fight some random god was so so generic. Doubly so because they used literally the same concept as the ending for one of the 3ds smt games.

I also hated Igor's voice acting. I know it's revealed at the end why it's different but even the few lines he has as himself at the end sound like a poor imitation of Persona 4 where he sounded much better.

Still though it's one of my favourite games although I'd buy a persona cart racing game if they released it so I'm not exactly the harshest critic :pac:

I only started the Fortune Teller part last night so have bought the 100k thing off her so must concentrate on her after this palace. The cat is a head melt though, so many evenings there I'm all set to make a few lockpicks or something and you can't do sh!t cos a cat tells you to go to bed.

Do you reckon its better to hit palaces early and have more free time afterwards or leave palace as late as possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Gyan84

I only started the Fortune Teller part last night so have bought the 100k thing off her so must concentrate on her after this palace. The cat is a head melt though, so many evenings there I'm all set to make a few lockpicks or something and you can't do sh!t cos a cat tells you to go to bed.

Do you reckon its better to hit palaces early and have more free time afterwards or leave palace as late as possible

Usually there'll be a day or two where you can't hang out with anyone so I just did the palace then.

Just try to get as far as possible in one go as sending the calling card and fighting the boss always takes up another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

1 VN and 2 Rpgs announced from Spike, think I have the first Conception on Vita but never played it

Just announced! ROBOTICS;NOTES ELITE coming 2020, Conception PLUS: Maidens of the Twelve Stars coming November 5, 2019, and a new CRYSTAR trailer!

Read all about it on our #AX2019 PlayStation Blog:
    Tweet : https://t.co/UmLTl8ggSA

Looking at footage of Fire Emblem Three Houses and its got my interest but have never played a Fire Emblem game before. Tactics based JRPG's I've played so far are Valkyria Chronicles and Disgaea. How does Fire Emblem gameplay compare to these two, if at all?

From reading up on it so far it seems there is a decent amount of Persona type gameplay in that you spend time building up social links between battles and game chapters are based on calendar months, not sure if that's new to the series though or if its always been a thing though.

I also have Wargroove on Game Pass which I've read has similarities gameplay wise, would it be worth giving that a go or is the comparison valid?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Looking at footage of Fire Emblem Three Houses and its got my interest but have never played a Fire Emblem game before. Tactics based JRPG's I've played so far are Valkyria Chronicles and Disgaea. How does Fire Emblem gameplay compare to these two, if at all?

From reading up on it so far it seems there is a decent amount of Persona type gameplay in that you spend time building up social links between battles and game chapters are based on calendar months, not sure if that's new to the series though or if its always been a thing though.

I also have Wargroove on Game Pass which I've read has similarities gameplay wise, would it be worth giving that a go or is the comparison valid?

I've never played fire emblem but War groove is great, I think there similar in the sense the combat is similar maybe but other than that I don't think so, I loved it, give it a go, it can be punishing though on the higher difficulties.

I've never played fire emblem but War groove is great, I think there similar in the sense the combat is similar maybe but other than that I don't think so, I loved it, give it a go, it can be punishing though on the higher difficulties.

I'll give Wargroove a go this evening if I get a chance so, although I hear its closer to Advance Wars which I have also never played.

Was looking up Fire Emblem games online and noticed there was one released on the Wii. I thought 'super I have a Wii lying around somewhere, I'll pick up a secondhand copy on the cheap', ....its 75 euro in CeX :eek:. So if I do pick up Three Houses, it'll definitely be hard copy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'll give Wargroove a go this evening if I get a chance so, although I hear its closer to Advance Wars which I have also never played.

Was looking up Fire Emblem games online and noticed there was one released on the Wii. I thought 'super I have a Wii lying around somewhere, I'll pick up a secondhand copy on the cheap', ....its 75 euro in CeX :eek:. So if I do pick up Three Houses, it'll definitely be hard copy.

Advance wars! that's the game I was thinking of!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,010 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Fire emblem is pretty much a rpg version of advance wars and wargroove is a rip off of advance wars. It's also got similarities to valkyria chronicles but totally turn based.

I'll give Wargroove a go in the meantime so.

Fire Emblem looks nice so far but I'm reading a lot about the social links side of things ala Persona style and I don't mind that in Persona but I find when it gets heavy on that stuff between palaces I tend to drop the game for a while and get back to it again. I've been chipping away on it palace by palace but it doesn't hold my attention in between.

Not sure how much of a percentage of the game that is gonna be in Fire Emblem. Devs are saying it'll take 80 hrs to complete the campaign per house so with 3 possible run throughs that's a lot of content.

They're usually pretty deftly games alright. And bastard hard as well although not so bad now perma death is optional.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Is Fire emblem good? Seems to be a big name with Nintendo but they don't get the best reviews from what ive seen :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Is Fire emblem good? Seems to be a big name with Nintendo but they don't get the best reviews from what ive seen :confused:

What reviews have you been looking at, it is probably one of the few series that always garners stellar reviews.

Enjoying DQ 11 alot more now, almost 20 hours in.

As said before it gets great reviews.

It's a big series in Japan but only hit big in the west with Awakening which animed up the series and made perma death optional.

It's highly regarded with Genealogy of War regarded as up there with Tactics Ogre. I find it a shame that it's so anime now but at least it means we will see consistent releases of the games now and maybe a return to the dark storyline of old.

Xenji wrote: »
    What reviews have you been looking at, it is probably one of the few series that always garners stellar reviews.

Yeah i should have noted excluding the handheld (DS/3DS) games, Looking into it more now, i didnt realise the game has been around as long as it actually has.. So ill shut up :D

I honestly just thought it was only around the last 5 years or so and the Wii/Switch version of the games didnt get high scores so i never was tempted to try them out :pac:

Yeah i should have noted excluding the handheld (DS/3DS) games, Looking into it more now, i didnt realise the game has been around as long as it actually has.. So ill shut up :D

You've angered the Jrpg god xenji! how dare you! get down on your knees and beg for forgiveness :mad:

:pac::pac:

Advance wars! that's the game I was thinking of!

Played a couple of hours of Wargroove. Enjoying it so far but 3 attempts later and I cannot get past the 3rd round which doesn't bode well for the harder stuff to come. Think I might be too tired to be tactical, will try it again tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,136 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Got nothing to play and looking for something different. Tales of Berseria is one of the Playstation Hits on sale for €10. Never played a game like it, it looks Japanese(!) so is it any good?

You've angered the Jrpg god xenji! how dare you! get down on your knees and beg for forgiveness :mad:

:pac::pac:

haha Xenji please forgive me!! :D:pac:

J. Marston wrote: »
    Got nothing to play and looking for something different. Tales of Berseria is one of the Playstation Hits on sale for €10. Never played a game like it, it looks Japanese(!) so is it any good?

I recently played tales of vesperia on the Switch and loved it...mostly, there is the odd difficulty spike which requires you to grind for ages to get passed, or drop the difficulty, but found it mostly enjoyable overall.

I got Berseria in the steam sales and am looking forward to diving in, for €10 and nothing else to play, i would defo advise getting it. Although maybe start with Vesperia?

I honestly just thought it was only around the last 5 years or so and the Wii/Switch version of the games didnt get high scores so i never was tempted to try them out :pac:

The Wii and Gamecube game are highly regarded by fans as being excellent. Lots of reviewers just didn't get the series and shot it down. Nintendo also ****ed up one of the releases. One of those games had a normal and hard mode in Japan. Nintendo changed the naming to easy and normal meaning a lot of reviewers and players started on the brutally tough hard mode that was rebranded as normal.

• Advertisement

The Wii and Gamecube game are highly regarded by fans as being excellent. Lots of reviewers just didn't get the series and shot it down. Nintendo also ****ed up one of the releases. One of those games had a normal and hard mode in Japan. Nintendo changed the naming to easy and normal meaning a lot of reviewers and players started on the brutally tough hard mode that was rebranded as normal.

Advertisement