Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Greencard Through Diversity Lotto

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

RCK1 wrote: »
    And also without the orange one. I definitely going to look into it.

Haha. Definitely look in to it. I heard somebody refer to him as 'angry pumpkin' which I thought was hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭RCK1

jme2010 wrote: »
    Haha. Definitely look in to it. I heard somebody refer to him as 'angry pumpkin' which I thought was hilarious.

Will have look. I just stuck with the old romantic idea of the US/American dream ! Which is probably no more

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

The information is great on this thread thanks!

Entered into the lottery again for the second time. Living/Working in the states has always been something I wanted to do so here's hoping for a ALOT of luck in getting it.

I'm sure it's probably being discussed(just say the page numbers if so) do they check your savings/ how much do you need and also is there a time limit on the green card to activate it etc...?

Thanks
    Yes the check your savings. You have to prove that you have enough money to support yourself for at least a year while you look for a job.

The figure the use is what they consider the US poverty line. Three years this was set at $13k-$14k but may be higher now.

You have to get a letter from your bank showing how much is in your account. You must also show that this money was saved over time, not just a loan from someone deposited the day before the interview.

As for the time question, Applicants are chosen in order and this number will be supplied to you. Each month a set of applicants will be chosen for interview in each of the regions involved based on this order.

Once your number comes up you have to do a medical, then do the interview. From the date of the medical you have 6 months to enter the USA and activate the green card.

Once activated you can still return home, but not for a period of over 12 months. In such a case you will be considered to have rescinded the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Yes the check your savings. You have to prove that you have enough money to support yourself for at least a year while you look for a job.

The figure the use is what they consider the US poverty line. Three years this was set at $13k-$14k but may be higher now.

You have to get a letter from your bank showing how much is in your account. You must also show that this money was saved over time, not just a loan from someone deposited the day before the interview.

As for the time question, Applicants are chosen in order and this number will be supplied to you. Each month a set of applicants will be chosen for interview in each of the regions involved based on this order.

Once your number comes up you have to do a medical, then do the interview. From the date of the medical you have 6 months to enter the USA and activate the green card.

Once activated you can still return home, but not for a period of over 12 months. In such a case you will be considered to have rescinded the card.

Ehh, no that's not right.

You can return home, I did plenty of times in my first 12 months and my green card was not rescinded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Ehh, no that's not right.

You can return home, I did plenty of times in my first 12 months and my green card was not rescinded.

If you leave for longer than 12 months then it could be determined that you have abandoned your green card, depending the circumstances.

• Advertisement

If you leave for longer than 12 months then it could be determined that you have abandoned your green card, depending the circumstances.

Correct, I guess I read the other posters line differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭myate

Today is the day for lottery results! Or rather tomorrow as the website never works on results day!

myate wrote: »
    Today is the day for lottery results! Or rather tomorrow as the website never works on results day!

Pffft...Canada all the way, pal.

Pffft...Canada all the way, pal.

No luck again with the lottery so thats now a consideration.

No luck again with the lottery so thats now a consideration.

I've have a lot of more US companies contacting me about roles, now that I'm living in Canada with a Canadian address etc.

They assume I'm Canadian (which would mean I don't need any sponsorship or special visa, just a job offer)

My buddy from Ireland is here 5 years and getting his citizenship. Once he has that, he could except any job offer from the States and work there with ease.

That could be your alternate route, but once you get settled here and see that it is better than America in every way you'll give up on moving and simply drive in for vacation or hop a very short flight to any coast or point in the States.

Here's the flight time for me in Toronto to US destinations:

New York: .......1 hour 20 min
    Miami:.............3 hours
    Dallas:.............3 hours 10 min
    Phoenix:...........4 hours 20 min
    Las Vegas:........4 hours 35 min
    Los Angeles: ....5 hours

• Advertisement

I've have a lot of more US companies contacting me about roles, now that I'm living in Canada with a Canadian address etc.

They assume I'm Canadian (which would mean I don't need any sponsorship or special visa, just a job offer)

My buddy from Ireland is here 5 years and getting his citizenship. Once he has that, he could except any job offer from the States and work there with ease.

That could be your alternate route, but once you get settled here and see that it is better than America in every way you'll give up on moving and simply drive in for vacation or hop a very short flight to any coast or point in the States.

Here's the flight time for me in Toronto to US destinations:

New York: .......1 hour 20 min
    Miami:.............3 hours
    Dallas:.............3 hours 10 min
    Phoenix:...........4 hours 20 min
    Las Vegas:........4 hours 35 min
    Los Angeles: ....5 hours

Tempting alright! Toronto sounds like a cool place anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭zielarz

Better winters?....try to not freeze to death and enjoy the benefit of all the taxes :D

God bless America!

zielarz wrote: »
    Better winters?....try to not freeze to death and enjoy the benefit of all the taxes :D

God bless America!

Enjoy the free health care....oh wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭cena

Enjoy the free health care....oh wait.

???

cena wrote: »
    ???

zielarz poked fun of Canada's winters. I poked fun of America's healthcare.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭cena

zielarz poked fun of Canada's winters. I poked fun of America's healthcare.

canada winters would be great for ice hockey. i would love it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Lottery is set to open later today (October 2), who is applying from here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

I will be applying again..... I didn't apply last year but applied for about 5 years before that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Is there an official link to apply? I've never applied. I'm getting some sites which state that you need to pay. As far as I know, it's free?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

Can anyone tell me what they used to resize their photos. Mine won't allow me to resize to 600x600 pixels

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭ Raelyn Hot Magenta

Struth, there was less than 20 cards awarded for DV-2020 for either NI & ROI, chances are getting very slim these days.
    Meanwhile Albania managed over 3,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭BaronVon

CyberGhost wrote: »
    Is there an official link to apply? I've never applied. I'm getting some sites which state that you need to pay. As far as I know, it's free?

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/diversity-visa-program-entry.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Struth, there was less than 20 cards awarded for DV-2020 for either NI & ROI, chances are getting very slim these days.
    Meanwhile Albania managed over 3,000.
    An Irish person has the same chance of winning as an Albanian, it's just that a lot more Albanian's apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭ Raelyn Hot Magenta

An Irish person has the same chance of winning as an Albanian, it's just that a lot more Albanian's apply.

Perhaps on paper, it's still less than half the population of Ireland, must be way huge applicant rates.

Albania (not really a war-torn state), is also the top place on recent IPO applications to Ireland at 20% last month. And with very high rejection. Either they have terrible weather, very bad beer or the ladies have cloven feet, who knows for sure.

The big change this year is a valid passport ID must be used, so it might do away with all the bulk 3rd party applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Application gone in and confirmation number saved in a few different places, let the wait begin!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Quadrivium

I am considering applying for this but have apprehensions due to an old conviction that resulted from being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The conviction is 20 years old and is my only conviction, it was for criminal damage to a phone box.

The back story to the conviction is as follows. Myself at 18 and another friend of the same age where making our way to a pub, on the way my mate decided he would use a public phone box on the street to call his then girlfriend, they had an argument on the phone and she hung up on him, at this point he slapped the telephone onto the holder 2 or 3 times, not realising that a pair of Gardai were sitting in a Garda car looking at him.

The Gardai then stuck on their lights and began to drive towards the phone box at which point my friend left the phone box and decided to run away. I stood there about 5 meters from the phone box and laughed at the ridiculousness of the situation. The gardai ran up to me, grabbed me, called me a scum bag and threw me into the back of the Garda car and began to drive after my friend with me in the back of the car, they inevitably caught him and brought us back to the Garda station where they slapped us about then charged us with criminal damage, alleging that we smashed up the phone box and broke the windows the truth is the windows were smashed before my friend used the phone box, it was in a dodgy area.

Anyway, we went to court, our solicitor advised us to plead not guilty and the two of us being totally clueless 18 year old's did as he advised and ended up with a conviction and a fine of about £400. I'm not sure of the details of the conviction such as if it was under the probation act as by the time the court date came about I was in the Defence Forces and was brought to and from the court by my commanding officer and didn't have time to get an update from the solicitor before being brought back to barracks.

I know it's not crime of the century and it was a very long time ago but I'm trying to figure out if I would be wasting my time applying for the diversity visa lottery due to this conviction or has anyone heard of people being successful in similar circumstances?

I have a degree from a good Irish University so I would meet the educational requirements but having this hanging over my head is my only worry.

Apologies for the rant, I just felt it important to detail the facts of the situation and background.

You'd probably need to speak with a solicitor.

There may be some possibility to have it expunged after this length of time. Depending on what the conviction was, it might be classed as a misdemeanor rather than a crime and might not be relevant.

But I'm only speculating, you really need to have a chat with a solicitor to be certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭circular flexing

You'd probably need to speak with a solicitor.

There may be some possibility to have it expunged after this length of time. Depending on what the conviction was, it might be classed as a misdemeanor rather than a crime and might not be relevant.

But I'm only speculating, you really need to have a chat with a solicitor to be certain.

For US immigration purposes, crimes are never considered spent (such a provision doesn't exist in US law). The poster would need to apply for a visa waiver, I think it was so long ago and so minor that it shouldn't be a bar to entry, will probably just add a few months onto processing time in order to get the waiver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Dadzilla

Random question regarding the lottery and I don’t think it has been already asked. I’m a frequent traveller to the US for work and pleasure. If I apply for the DV will it have an impact on US visits in the interim? In other words are immigration likely stop me or see my regular trips as an issue?

Similar if I apply and I don’t succeed, will this cause an issue for future trips?

Advertisement