Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeless junky aggression

Options
  • 10-07-2019 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭

I think homeless junkies around parts of Dublin are making them awkward areas to walk around. Alot of them don't just sit there anymore, they are getting up and harrassing you for money, following you down the street to a certain point. Walking out of work today to have a clearly homeless junky ball of a young fella following me to the point where I get in my car. He wouldn't F off! Ain't my fault your a homeless junky drugged up to your fckn eyes dude! Go ask help at the social welfare.... They will give you free money every week, a free house, all sorts of other benefits. Great crack all together, no pun intended!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Punch him in the face.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,069 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Did you not drive over him?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

They're mostly from horrible backgrounds from horrible areas surrounded by horrible people and no one ever really cared about them. When heroin addiction is where you end up I'd probably be pretty angry with the world too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Rear leg roundhouse to knee followed by step over back turning kick to groin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

They didn't get their house repossessed when they fell behind on the repayments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The problem is you don't know who are genuine down and outs and who are scammers. Mostly the latter I'd say.

There is no need for anyone to beg in this country, we are very generous with our social supports, and charities abound. So to my mind all the begging is for drink or drugs.

Totally fed up with them taking over the city. I crossed Rosie Hackett Bridge the other day and it was heroin central. I'm sure that's not the only spot in town either.

No point in getting riled about it, police don't patrol, judiciary have them on a rolling contract of suspended sentences, City Council won't even power wash the streets or put in enough litter bins.

Gone to the dogs I tell ya. But it is a serious matter just the same. Those who could do something about it don't seem to care. Injection centre opposite the Four Courts and around the corner from Christchurch Cathedral and a primary school. That's a great location altogether isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Supposedly there are none as many on boards come on a state they see nothing wrong in the city....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

They should be banned from the city centre and detained in some sort of drying out detention centre if they don't observe the ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Jimmy McGill

Genuinely can't remember the last time I seen the Garda patrolling on foot around the city centre. It used to be a common sight up until circa 2008, now you never see them anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭mondeo

We need more Gardai on the roads throughout Dublin city. I see almost none on foot these days. Do they take Junkies and beggers off the streets or just walk past them ? I wouldn't know since I never seen a Garda near them.

• Advertisement

mondeo wrote: »
    We need more Gardai on the roads throughout Dublin city. I see almost none on foot these days. Do they take Junkies and beggers off the streets or just walk past them ? I wouldn't know since I never seen a Garda near them.

I'm starting to think their purpose these days is just checkpoints because it's easy pickings for them

Genuinely can't remember the last time I seen the Garda patrolling on foot around the city centre. It used to be a common sight up until circa 2008, now you never see them anymore.

Ah to be fair they are out in their droves for the protest marches and Pride. ;)

Drew Harris needs to do a patrol or two around Dublin. Then kick the Superintendents' asses to get patrols going from the City Stations PDQ.

I suppose they will say they are inundated with Organised Crime. And to be fair (touch wood) it seems to have quietened down a bit. For now I suppose. Still, all citizens should have Garda protection.

Same applies to Owen Keegan, DCC. Get off yer bike mate and see what it is really like in the City of which you are the Manager mate.

Most people are afraid of their life to venture around the Talbot Street/Abbey Street area, where you see open street dealing in broad daylight and junkies strung out of their head in nearly every doorway. Ironically enough Store Street Garda Station is only around the corner and they don't seem interested whatsoever in what goes on around their doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

What powers do the guards have to take them off the streets?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Most people are afraid of their life to venture around the Talbot Street/Abbey Street area, where you see open street dealing in broad daylight and junkies strung out of their head in nearly every doorway. Ironically enough Store Street Garda Station is only around the corner and they don't seem interested whatsoever in what goes on around their doorstep.

No one is afraid of their life ffs

The Gardai seem to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I think homeless junkies around parts of Dublin are making them awkward areas to walk around. Alot of them don't just sit there anymore, they are getting up and harrassing you for money, following you down the street to a certain point. Walking out of work today to have a clearly homeless junky ball of a young fella following me to the point where I get in my car. He wouldn't F off! Ain't my fault your a homeless junky drugged up to your fckn eyes dude! Go ask help at the social welfare.... They will give you free money every week, a free house, all sorts of other benefits. Great crack all together, no pun intended!

They can smell fear and that post is reeking of it

Gerry G wrote: »
    What powers do the guards have to take them off the streets?

For starters they can crack down on open street dealing, handing out fines for drinking alcohol in public, doing searches on people they suspect of carrying drugs etc. A heavy handed approach would deter them from blighting the city centre but that might hurt people's feelings.

For starters they can crack down on open street dealing, handing out fines for drinking alcohol in public, doing searches on people they suspect of carrying drugs etc. A heavy handed approach would deter them from blighting the city centre but that might hurt people's feelings.

They've been doing this for years, it does absolutely no good whatsoever. The revolving court system keeps letting them back out. The guards used to be able to move beggars on up until a few years ago when our wise legislators decided to remove that power.

• Advertisement

They've been doing this for years, it does absolutely no good whatsoever. The revolving court system keeps letting them back out. The guards used to be able to move beggars on up until a few years ago when our wise legislators decided to remove that power.

And as for handing out fines for drinking in public, do you really believe that the winos would pay their fines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Dublin needs a "hamsterdam", let them roam free in their natural environment away from decent people.

Have they really been doing it for years? I certainly haven't seen a robust approach in at least 10 years, or any guards foot patrolling the streets either. As someone that does be in the city centre a lot for work.

That may be the case, but it should not stop Gardai from patrolling and intervening in potentially violent issues immediately either.

The public would totally love to see Gardai patrolling, it helps them feel a bit safer. The sentencing/arrest issue is another issue. But nobody appears to be listening anymore.

And as for handing out fines for drinking in public, do you really believe that the winos would pay their fines?

Maybe not but searches and fines would certainly deter them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

no ? this sort of thing going on :

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/past-champion-dog-handler-at-crufts-faces-prison-for-knife-point-muggings-936051.html

The first victim who worked as a care assistant was walking to a house for a care visit when Geoghegan came up behind her and put his arm around her neck

He told her “give me your money, I want paper not coins”. She saw the blade of a knife in his hand and gave him some cash, the court heard.

The third woman was arriving for work in a barbershop and had just parked her car nearby when Geoghegan came up to her.

He raised the knife to her and said: “give me your money or I will stab you”. She took out €80 from her handbag and gave it to him before he ran off.

Maybe not but searches and fines would certainly deter them

Not even in the slightest

Not even in the slightest

You think Deco or Micka would want their rock of crack or bag of heroin taken off them that they just bought and getting arrested as well?

Have they really been doing it for years? I certainly haven't seen a robust approach in at least 10 years, or any guards foot patrolling the streets either. As someone that does be in the city centre a lot for work.

There are no Garda powers available to Gardai to take a robust approach to junkies no matter what people may think. If they hassle them on the streets and search them ad nauseam then joe bleeding heart takes out his phone, records the big bullying Garda and posts it all over social media. Some social media sites are actively trying to identify guards, their addresses and members of their families. Why would a guard bother?

If the reply is, "because it's their job", I can understand but they get no support from their supervisors or the government who are the cause of this mess in the first place.

• Advertisement

You think Deco or Micka would want their rock of crack or bag of heroin taken off them that they just bought and getting arrested as well?

They shove it up their rear end. Guards cant search them intimately on the street which leads back to the arrest method and the merry go round keeps on turning

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement