Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Fitness Questions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

paw patrol wrote: »
    I was benching 110 - 120kg before I "felt" my pecs working. I'm sure they were working...but I suspect for years it was mostly arms / shoulders.

I don't think the level of work you* think certain muscles do in compounds correlates to anything really. You might be more conscious of better technique now as well

* i don't mean you, personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,435 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I agree Alf - When I am squatting for example I wouldn't really "feel" my hamstrings working at the time (like with a leg curl or whatever), but have often got unholy DOMS there afterwards so they were obviously doing something :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

What's the difference when doing a close handed lat pulldown between neutral grip (with the special attachment) or just normal overhanded grip (with your palms facing away from you, rather than towards each other)?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

What's the difference when doing a close handed lat pulldown between neutral grip (with the special attachment) or just normal overhanded grip (with your palms facing away from you, rather than towards each other)?

The neutral grip involves the biceps more.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Brian? wrote: »
    The neutral grip involves the biceps more.

And can be more comfortable for some people as its more "shoulder friendly".

• Advertisement

paw patrol wrote: »
    I was benching 110 - 120kg before I "felt" my pecs working. I'm sure they were working...but I suspect for years it was mostly arms / shoulders.

I never feel my pecs when I bench, but when I do push ups my pecs are in tatters afterwards. No idea why.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

I want to hang upside down by my feet, best way to do this?

Not messing.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

vargoo wrote: »

Not messing.

Hook feet over bar. Hang upside down.
    Not messing either.

Mellor wrote: »
    Hook feet over bar. Hang upside down.
    Not messing either.

Hmm, to much engaged to hold that.

I want to be pulled apart...(feeling)

Not messing.

Inversion boots or inversion table

• Advertisement

Not messing.

These.

How would you get into and out of the hanging position though?

Id fear Id just be stuck there upside down waving my hands feebly.

Thanks guys.

Cheap to, I'll look into them.

Another option is to look up some BDSM groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Another option is to look up some BDSM groups.

:D

https://medicastemcells.com/non-surgical-regenerative-prp-stem-cell-therapy-for-knee-pain/

Anyone know anything about that place^ in Dublin doing a type of stem cell therapy for knee injurys? Can't be pure hokum I suppose as it's based on a trial from Trinity - https://www.tcd.ie/medicine/orthopaedics/cartilage/

Pity trials take so long.

This looks the biz - https://www.cartiheal.com/ - currently going through trials aswell but promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A very general question on the floor plate weight machines, I tended to avoid them as I have plenty of choice with dumbbells and the racks etc. , anything to watch out for? I gave them a go last week (as an internal deal to get me off the sofa one particular night ;-) ) , basically did around 8 various press/row machines ~3 sets each 5-8 reps . I went for a weight that had a bite but not too heavy and didn’t change the weight. In terms of progression more set on each machine?

In terms of strength curves, do they mimic barbells/Dumbbells?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    A very general question on the floor plate weight machines, I tended to avoid them as I have plenty of choice with dumbbells and the racks etc. , anything to watch out for? I gave them a go last week (as an internal deal to get me off the sofa one particular night ;-) ) , basically did around 8 various press/row machines ~3 sets each 5-8 reps . I went for a weight that had a bite but not too heavy and didn’t change the weight. In terms of progression more set on each machine?

In terms of strength curves, do they mimic barbells/Dumbbells?

Not really but I think isolation work has a role in training anyway. They don't have to replace training with barbells/dumbbells. They can complement it.

Will a row machine be the same as a barbell row? No. But that doesn't mean it can't be used to build the pulling muscles (to give them their scientific definition)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Is the SLRDL a worthwhile exercise to persevere with given that most people can only perform it with a light weight and dubious form?

Is the SLRDL a worthwhile exercise to persevere with given that most people can only perform it with a light weight and dubious form?

There are progressions you can try, starting with the back foot on the ground just to maintain balance.

But if you can't do any of them properly with a light weight, then maybe it's time to find an alternative cos you won't be getting much of an effect if you're all over the place.

Not really but I think isolation work has a role in training anyway. They don't have to replace training with barbells/dumbbells. They can complement it.

Will a row machine be the same as a barbell row? No. But that doesn't mean it can't be used to build the pulling muscles (to give them their scientific definition)

i have a reasonable idea on the difference between an isolation/compound/freemoving etc. i was looking at it in terms of where the resistance/tension is applied in the ROM as in a barbell or dumbbell where the max tension generally is at the lower part and the least at the highest. Im guessing its the same. i saw a video that that pointed out to keep 90 degree angles (at the low point) so that was the bit i was missing.
    just adding them into the mix, i felt it more in the upper back so was obviously hitting something more than normal

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

silverharp wrote: »
    i have a reasonable idea on the difference between an isolation/compound/freemoving etc. i was looking at it in terms of where the resistance/tension is applied in the ROM as in a barbell or dumbbell where the max tension generally is at the lower part and the least at the highest. Im guessing its the same. i saw a video that that pointed out to keep 90 degree angles (at the low point) so that was the bit i was missing.
    just adding them into the mix, i felt it more in the upper back so was obviously hitting something more than normal

Different machines that are ostensibly the same but have slightly different mechanics.

I definitely feel a T-bar row more in my mid-upper back than seated rows for example

Different machines that are ostensibly the same but have slightly different mechanics.

I definitely feel a T-bar row more in my mid-upper back than seated rows for example

it might have been the T-bar what done it , it was my first time using it

Where the best place to buy a green blend? Organic not from china..or as little as possible from china.

(Containing wheatgrass, barleygrass, spirulina, chlorella etc more the better of equal quantities)

Very expensive everywhere....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

https://medicastemcells.com/non-surgical-regenerative-prp-stem-cell-therapy-for-knee-pain/

Anyone know anything about that place^ in Dublin doing a type of stem cell therapy for knee injurys? Can't be pure hokum I suppose as it's based on a trial from Trinity - https://www.tcd.ie/medicine/orthopaedics/cartilage/

Pity trials take so long.

This looks the biz - https://www.cartiheal.com/ - currently going through trials aswell but promising.
    mostly a waste of money unless its embryonic stem cells not adult stem cells

Person i work with went to Panama december 2018 and got it done on his mum due to severe arthritis issues (she was pre-surgery for joint fusions) and its helped loads - very very expensive

Where the best place to buy a green blend? Organic not from china..or as little as possible from china.

(Containing wheatgrass, barleygrass, spirulina, chlorella etc more the better of equal quantities)

Very expensive everywhere....
    iherb

Transform wrote: »
    mostly a waste of money unless its embryonic stem cells not adult stem cells

Person i work with went to Panama december 2018 and got it done on his mum due to severe arthritis issues (she was pre-surgery for joint fusions) and its helped loads - very very expensive

Why is that not allowed elsewhere or banned?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Transform wrote: »

How expensive are we talking?

Edit: looked into it myself actually, looks like that place in Panama uses umbilical chord stem cells. Procedure is circa 23k and travel/lodging brings it up closer to 30k. Yikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That link above appears to be PRP and not stem cells. The fact it's not clear in either case doesn't encourage me to go there.

Mellor wrote: »
    That link above appears to be PRP and not stem cells. The fact it's not clear in either case doesn't encourage me to go there.
    ???

My link?

You just had to scroll down,
    https://medicastemcells.com/stromal-vascular-fraction-therapy/

This - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4178263/#B44 is good summary.

Positive - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27565858

Theirs one study in there that used embryonic cells the started in 2013, suppose to be 2 years, I cant find results of that..this one https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/01/130124163246.htm

• Advertisement

Why is that not allowed elsewhere or banned?
    ethical reasons - youre taking stem cells from fetal tissue

Advertisement