Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Time License

Options
  • 08-07-2019 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello lads,

I've been waiting over 2 months for a first time license and I haven't got any word other than "its sitting on the supers desk" when I rang the firearms officer. He said everything looked grand on my application when I brought it in. No gardai have called to the house to look at the safe, if they even always do that i do not know. My reasons for needing and location are all perfect seemingly so any ideas on why its taking so long? What do i do after the 3 months are up?

Its a .223, I live in the Mayo countryside outside of a town on a farm. Pest control / vermin control.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Welcome to the forum.

Applications are hit and miss at the best of times in terms of length of time they take to process them, but the unfortunate bit is this tie of year you have holidays, renewals, etc. along with substitutions and new applications.

There is also various reports from different districts of a "lack of Supers" and some applications being signed off by Inspectors.

To give you an example of my own experience. I've never waited more than two weeks for an application or 10 days for a substitution. I put in both a substitution and a new application 9 weeks, and 6 weeks ago, respectively. After a month, for each, i got the standard receipt letter, but not a sign of the license.

The receipt letter is usually a sign the application is being processed and is on PULSE waiting for the final signing by the Super. Sometimes lads get these receipt letters, other times they don't. When they do get them, myself included, they can arrive before, at the same time, and after the actual grant letter or license (in the case of a substitution).

So while i cannot speak to your application or your district, there are issues at the moment which can lead to delays. The fact its your first application shouldn't have too much of a bearing on the time, but may cause a little delay as they do a more thorough check than if you already had firearms.

The only advice i can give is two fold.

Wait for a little longer. If the three month time frame is up then you can start ringing and asking about the progress of the application.

Secondly, always, and while they won't want to do it, ALWAYS get a receipt when you hand in an application. I find it best to print your own and ask the face at the desk to sign it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Wexbox77

Cass wrote: »
    Welcome to the forum.

Applications are hit and miss at the best of times in terms of length of time they take to process them, but the unfortunate bit is this tie of year you have holidays, renewals, etc. along with substitutions and new applications.

There is also various reports from different districts of a "lack of Supers" and some applications being signed off by Inspectors.

To give you an example of my own experience. I've never waited more than two weeks for an application or 10 days for a substitution. I put in both a substitution and a new application 9 weeks, and 6 weeks ago, respectively. After a month, for each, i got the standard receipt letter, but not a sign of the license.

The receipt letter is usually a sign the application is being processed and is on PULSE waiting for the final signing by the Super. Sometimes lads get these receipt letters, other times they don't. When they do get them, myself included, they can arrive before, at the same time, and after the actual grant letter or license (in the case of a substitution).

So while i cannot speak to your application or your district, there are issues at the moment which can lead to delays. The fact its your first application shouldn't have too much of a bearing on the time, but may cause a little delay as they do a more thorough check than if you already had firearms.

The only advice i can give is two fold.

Wait for a little longer. If the three month time frame is up then you can start ringing and asking about the progress of the application.

Secondly, always, and while they won't want to do it, ALWAYS get a receipt when you hand in an application. I find it best to print your own and ask the face at the desk to sign it.

When i rang I asked if he could check if i was even on their system and he said PULSE said the application is in progress. So you reckon I just need to wait it out and for the next time to get a signed receipt that i handed in an application?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Wexbox77 wrote: »
    When i rang I asked if he could check if i was even on their system and he said PULSE said the application is in progress.
    If it's on PULSE its moving which is a good sign.
    So you reckon I just need to wait it out .........
    For the moment, yes. The three month time frame gives them another month before you could "demand" answers.
    ....... and for the next time to get a signed receipt that i handed in an application?
    Bring in a receipt. Nothing fancy. A piece of paper, A4, on which you have written/printed something like:
    Receipt for submission of firearm application/renewal/substitution by Wexboy77 on **DATE**.

Received by Garda on front desk:

*Gards's Signature & number*
    Thats about all you need. Then if you have to ring up later you can say you submitted the application on such and such a date.

I do it with all of mine. I found out quickly that more and more they refused to issue a receipt so i started to print my own and have the person at the desk sign it. I have one for my last two.

It doesn't do much, but if it went over the three months they'll claim it was only processed from the time it was entered onto PULSE which can be weeks or months after you submit it, but with a signed receipt you can prove you submitted it far earlier.

Just a little CYA (cover your ass).
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Sika98k

Personally I always write on the front page “delivered on xxxxxx date”. Whether it makes any difference I don’t know but I hope when it appears on the Cigs desk 5 months later she might ask why it has taken so long.
    I think I’m waiting 5 months for a renewal now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

bad time of the year as well. my local fo is gone from 28th of may until 23rd of july!

• Advertisement

Cass wrote: »
    If it's on PULSE its moving which is a good sign.

For the moment, yes. The three month time frame gives them another month before you could "demand" answers.

Bring in a receipt. Nothing fancy. A piece of paper, A4, on which you have written/printed something like:

Thats about all you need. Then if you have to ring up later you can say you submitted the application on such and such a date.

I do it with all of mine. I found out quickly that more and more they refused to issue a receipt so i started to print my own and have the person at the desk sign it. I have one for my last two.

It doesn't do much, but if it went over the three months they'll claim it was only processed from the time it was entered onto PULSE which can be weeks or months after you submit it, but with a signed receipt you can prove you submitted it far earlier.

Just a little CYA (cover your ass).

Sounds good, i was a bit confused as to why the fo hasnt appeared at my door yet and I was thinking maybe the garda that took my application signed off on it because i brought pictures of the safe installed to show and he said "i'll take your word for it". Does that mean they won't call? or will they appear randomly unbeknownst to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭freddieot

I've had the lads out a few times over the years to see the safe and security arrangements etc.

Sometimes they ring first to see if I'm there but not always. The station is only 3 minutes away.

I'm waiting myself about 7 weeks with a new application but that's not a major concern at this point as it has been much longer before. Like many others, no letters of acknowledgement yet (I've never even seen one of those).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭alanmc

Wexbox77 wrote: »
    Does that mean they won't call? or will they appear randomly unbeknownst to me?

The Crime Prevention Officer might call out to inspect your security. Doors, Windows, Safe location and fixing, etc. However, this might not happen at all. They usually give you a call ahead though.

As long as you have all your ducks in a row, it's just a waiting game.

freddieot wrote: »
    I've had the lads out a few times over the years to see the safe and security arrangements etc.

Sometimes they ring first to see if I'm there but not always. The station is only 3 minutes away.

I'm waiting myself about 7 weeks with a new application but that's not a major concern at this point as it has been much longer before. Like many others, no letters of acknowledgement yet (I've never even seen one of those).
    alanmc wrote: »
    The Crime Prevention Officer might call out to inspect your security. Doors, Windows, Safe location and fixing, etc. However, this might not happen at all. They usually give you a call ahead though.

As long as you have all your ducks in a row, it's just a waiting game.

I did forget to apply for a suppressor so i presume that wouldn't have any impact because I can apply for it again and because i'm not near any built up areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭freddieot

You can apply for a moderator separately at any time. However, most people just tick the box on the rifle FCA1 original application form.

This is for two reasons :-

1. A line or two on your reason for application can in a lot of circumstance justify the moderator and then will just put an S on your licence - job done. This saves the hassle of having to write another application from with a letter to the Super explaining why you now want a mod.

2. Basically a later application (depending on the station - mood they are in) could be deemed a requirement for another firearms FCA1 application, and another €80 fee....

If you really want a Moderator I would consider ringing the FO before the application is processed. He might be agreeable to just tick the box for you and save some hassle. They might well ask for written reasons why you want it though.

• Advertisement

freddieot wrote: »
    You can apply for a moderator separately at any time. However, most people just tick the box on the rifle FCA1 original application form.

This is for two reasons :-

1. A line or two on your reason for application can in a lot of circumstance justify the moderator and then will just put an S on your licence - job done. This saves the hassle of having to write another application from with a letter to the Super explaining why you now want a mod.

2. Basically a later application (depending on the station - mood they are in) could be deemed a requirement for another firearms FCA1 application, and another €80 fee....

If you really want a Moderator I would consider ringing the FO before the application is processed. He might be agreeable to just tick the box for you and save some hassle. They might well ask for written reasons why you want it though.

Thats perfect so, thank you everyone for the help!

Advertisement