Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Random EV thoughts.....

• 03-07-2019 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

The main motors forum has the motors chat thread for the little things one would like to say but might not justify a thread.

Thought it might be an idea for here re hybrids and EV stuff.....

To kick off - i wonder if a new measurement for EVs might be assuming a start trip at 100 percent......

A how much range do you get with a 15 minute stop.

With a 350 kw charging a Porsche Tayman might do very well with getting on for 400 miles...

A Leaf 62 not so good.

Obviously where a car can do more then 50 kw charging we would need both a 50 kw and a whatever the cars top rate is figure*.

*IF chargers are available

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,192 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Random indeed.
    Thoughts: not so sure
    :D:D

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I agree there needs to be general chit chat as the other threads are getting muddled.
    Maybe needs to be new threads for home chargers and options, individual models which we already have, BIK etc

I do agree regarding the charging of various models, have to use WLTP and 1200 kWh ?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,745 ✭✭✭✭unkel

This ad is over 8 years old :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

unkel wrote: »
    This ad is over 8 years old :)

That's brilliant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Love it. Sneaky dig at the Volt/Ampera too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

And the same for the Zoe:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The only sad part is that Nissan didnt push on from there and have a fleet of EV's to choose from by now!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

KCross wrote: »
    The only sad part is that Nissan didnt push on from there and have a fleet of EV's to choose from by now!

True.
    They have a small SUV coming out next year I believe.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    True.
    They have a small SUV coming out next year I believe.

Hopefully it will be equipped with CCS and thermal management this time. Although woudn't be surprised if was built on the current LEAF platfrom again with recycled components.

Any links charlie?

edit:
    Nissan IMX sitting on the same platform ast he new LEAF

samih wrote: »
    Hopefully it will be equipped with CCS and thermal management this time. Although woudn't be surprised if was built on the current LEAF platfrom again with recycled components.

Any links charlie?

edit:
    Nissan IMX sitting on the same platform ast he new LEAF

No, unfortunately not. Salesman was just telling me when i was test driving the leaf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Same old nissan
    Abject crap that can't cool/heat itself and cant use CCS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭McGiver

samih wrote:

Doubt it, the japs are stubborn people. They will keep pushing chademo. Look at Toyota, took them 20 years to understand FCVs is not the right path and that they should focus on BEVs.
    And lack of thermal management is at this stage by designers, deliberate so that the batteries degrade faster and must be retired to energy storage. Otherwise I can't explain it.

429 bhp, dual and 373 miles claimed range does offer scope for Nissan to actually change approach and cave in to having active cooling.

Especially (even allowing for marketing nonsense) if this is to be a showcase for the brand.

The problem with Nissan is their predictions based on historical data re how people will use the car.

I've seen Japanese rapid chargers have 30 minute time limits too.

So I suspect ePlus has been designed for that plus "expected" speeds on the road of 60 to 65.

Hopefully those predictions change when it's 373 miles range, 429 bhp etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

im 100% sold on a tesla now, the wife needs a new car, I suggested a leaf.

is that a bad shout based primarily on their charging type? would love to buy her a new shape but theyre 10k dearer for the privilege of looking better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

New leaf suv is called kuro and hyundai is kona. Hardly a coincidence...

Bjorn Neyland and two other guys are currently trying to see how many miles they can clock up in a Model 3 in 24 hours.

He has a lIvestream on the go at his TeslaBjorn live channel on youtube.

Start time was 10 pm German time last night.

Has a couple of routes operating on a circuit basis from one Ionity site

I have done just over 1600 km in 24 hours (SS1000 and have the cert) on motorbike around Ireland and in theory you should be able do over 2000 km (up to 3000 even but that would be far from realistic) on the Model 3 with suitably free flowing traffic. It will be interesting to see what the final result is.

Three drivers will make it much easier. Driving for 24 hours solid is tough.

My mate (with the Tesla Model 3) is also into the SS, got a few and wants to do the gold next :eek:

Fecking maschochists the lot of ye bikers :p

unkel wrote: »
    My mate (with the Tesla Model 3) is also into the SS, got a few and wants to do the gold next :eek:

Fecking maschochists the lot of ye bikers :p

It's a good test for your limits especially if your route stays away from motorways. But yea, after many years of self inflicted pain I finally sold my bike last year.

• Advertisement

2367 kms for the Model 3 in about 20.5 hours driving.

About 3.5 hours to go.

Bjorn Neyland and his team are gone out on the final run.

2700 kms on arrival to last charge.

Might end up at 2750 for the final 24 hour total.

Have to give Tesla and Ionity great credit for producing cars and chargers that are up for the task.

Hopefully the ESB, Nissan and co will look at this type of pushing the envelope stuff and aim high

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Old diesel wrote: »
    Bjorn Neyland and his team are gone out on the final run.

2700 kms on arrival to last charge.

Might end up at 2750 for the final 24 hour total.

Have to give Tesla and Ionity great credit for producing cars and chargers that are up for the task.

Hopefully the ESB, Nissan and co will look at this type of pushing the envelope stuff and aim high

Watching that confirms to me, that Tesla are way ahead

No other manufacturer can come close to that package in terms of efficiency, charge speed, cost

Old diesel wrote: »

Don't forget the new Tesla supercharger V3. The Model 3 is hindered by its low voltage pack (compared to some up and coming EVs like the Porsche Taycan) on the Ionity charger which will give the car only 500A so it's charging at about 190kW at best. The car can charge much faster at the newer supercharger (250kW at best)

A new record will be set by Nyland when one of those gets installed in Germany. Mark my words!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

What do yiz watch?

Ev Opinion - tests/reviews/commentary
    EV Man UK - as above, some rants
    Emma Jackman (Zoe)
    Fully Charged
    Fancy a BEV Mate? Taxi perspective, Leaf
    Ian Sampson - infrequent as he doesn't need to upload as much any more.

Don't get the time to watch much of Bjorn's stuff.

Wasn’t sure where to post this but was just told by Opel salesman that the EV Corsa will be here in March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Wasn’t sure where to post this but was just told by Opel salesman that the EV Corsa will be here in March.

Did he say how much?

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Did he say how much?

they won't know for another few weeks. He wasn't too pushed on telling me to much info as he was trying to sell me a Zoe!! I only called in to get something for the work one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Round Cable

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Did he say how much?

I've heard the base model will be about €25,000 after all incentives.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,132 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

What do yiz watch?

Ev Opinion - tests/reviews/commentary
    EV Man UK - as above, some rants
    Emma Jackman (Zoe)
    Fully Charged
    Fancy a BEV Mate? Taxi perspective, Leaf
    Ian Sampson - infrequent as he doesn't need to upload as much any more.

Don't get the time to watch much of Bjorn's stuff.

I found Zero Tailpipe quite good for the Ioniq before I decided to take the plunge and buy one.

Advertisement