Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm or hot with thunderstorm potential Sun eve 23rd---->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

Full cloud cover on the Laois/ kildare border temps around 20 disappointing considering we didn’t get anything major yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It reached 22.3C before the clouds rolled in across north Kilkenny. Currently a pleasant 19.7C.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Cork airport reading 14 degrees, my garden is reading about 16/17 still. Crazy the difference a day can make. Very overcast still and was drizzling earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Oh dear! Just looked at the met ie rainfall chart and wish i hadn;t

https://www.met.ie/

Never seen those colours on it before. And heading right this way..

west mayo offshore island where the sky is darkening already

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Graces7 wrote: »
    Oh dear! Just looked at the met ie rainfall chart and wish i hadn;t

https://www.met.ie/

Never seen those colours on it before. And heading right this way..

west mayo offshore island where the sky is darkening already

those colours are thunder and lightning markers, and not just rainfall, could be some serious action in Galway and Mayo today.

Edit: looks like it may miss land altogether and stay out to sea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Gonzo wrote: »
    those colours are thunder and lightning markers, and not just rainfall, could be some serious action in Galway and Mayo today.

even more OH DEAR. Mentions 1 pm on the page but no mention of it on the forecast.

So the head
    ache/migraine was and is horribly accurate..

Rain starting here and i think from the map Galway is getting thunder?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

The one day we don't have the bloody sea breeze we get complete cloud cover.. lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

22C here inland north Dublin in our proper first heatwave day, hardly any breeze at all unlike yesterday's strong wind. I see that cloud coming but I think it won't hang around longer as per Satellite tracking, its moving northwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

For the history books :)

zxIgtkA.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Finally surpassed the 20 degree barrier here in Dublin 11. It's now 22.3C with hazy skies and very little wind but I can see the cloud approaching on the satellite picture.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    Finally surpassed the 20 degree barrier here in Dublin 11. It's now 22.3C with hazy skies and very little wind but I can see the cloud approaching on the satellite picture.

it's a cruel joke with this spell really, we had relatively cool temps all week with a chilly wind when the plume was over us, but now that it is moving away and cloud is building we finally lose the cool temperatures and strong chilly wind. Many of us won't even get one proper warm and sunny day out of this. Enjoy the few hours of sun and warmth that we do get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

20c here in Arklow on the east coast,sun blazing,nice sea breeze/SE flow,what's not to like,just beautiful at the moment

it's beautiful here at Dunshaughlin too, with a temperature of 21C, but that sun is getting more hazy, could be cloudy again by the afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Fast Twitch

The warmth of the last few days has been lovely in the south midlands. Really nice that summer has arrived after the low temperatures throughout June.

Last year was a 'front ended' spring and summer, May to the last 7-10 days of July brilliant. Perhaps this will be a 'back ended' one with July, August and much of September being summery. Warm Augusts seem to be a thing of the past. 2010 was fair enough but i think you really have to go back to the amazing August of 2003 for a really warm, dry month. Only surpassed by August 1995 in my memory. Too young to remember 1976.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

France all time record broken, 44.3C in Carpentras!

https://mobile.twitter.com/meteofrance/status/1144586433535139840

D-Ji4KiW4AIEUH7?format=jpg&name=medium

It would be great if we get a good August, those are very rare indeed. We usually end up with better luck in September, I can remember several decent Septembers but only 1 August in my lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

The main cloud bank is burning off before it makes further inroads East - so Wicklow/Dublin/Meath etc should be fine beyond haze it seems for the next few hours.

Those under the cloud blanket - just better hope it shifts in enough time to be worth it. Many a fine spell I've had cloud eventually clear by 7 or 8pm, useless at that point for heat building!

100% overcast in Kildare.

John.Icy wrote: »
    The main cloud bank is burning off before it makes further inroads East - so Wicklow/Dublin/Meath etc should be fine beyond haze it seems for the next few hours.

Those under the cloud blanket - just better hope it shifts in enough time to be worth it. Many a fine spell I've had cloud eventually clear by 7 or 8pm, useless at that point for heat building!

very hazy sun here in Meath, sky is a greyish blue colour, wouldn't take much for the sun to be completely covered. Temperature still 21C since 12pm, the very hazy sun keeping temperature from shooting up more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭pad199207

A very warm 27c in N Kildare now

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

John.Icy wrote: »

pad199207 wrote: »
    A very warm 27c in N Kildare now

haha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

lawred2 wrote: »
    haha

Not sure if he's right with the 27 degrees but was overcast for a while but gone sunny again. N kildare here also.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭pad199207

Not sure if he's right with the 27 degrees but was overcast for a while but gone sunny again. N kildare here also.

Yup Davis station here with a classic fohn effect underway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

it's a cruel joke with this spell really, we had relatively cool temps all week with a chilly wind when the plume was over us, but now that it is moving away and cloud is building we finally lose the cool temperatures and strong chilly wind. Many of us won't even get one proper warm and sunny day out of this. Enjoy the few hours of sun and warmth that we do get.

I’ve had 2-3 good days in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

National mean max temps (averaged over 3 days) showing that we are now well in a warmer phase:

vzFLnHR.png

June on the whole though likely to finished below average by about 0.5c generally speaking, though values on a more local scale will naturally vary.

Data 'n' stuff from Met Eireann.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

pad199207 wrote: »
    Yup Davis station here with a classic fohn effect underway

Cheers, need to get out of the office for a walk then so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Looks like it has broken 45c now in Villevieille, South of France.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

lawred2 wrote: »
    haha

I'm S.Kildare! Big difference in the sunshine levels on the train town between Dublin/Kildare border areas and Kildare/Laois/Carlow border areas to be fair.

very hazy sun here in Meath, sky is a greyish blue colour, wouldn't take much for the sun to be completely covered. Temperature still 21C since 12pm, the very hazy sun keeping temperature from shooting up more.

Getting cloudier here in Arklow now
    Still 20c
    Breeze almost gone

Btw, humidity down here on the Davis is only 59% so not that humid at all and dew point is just 13c
    Neither of which are conducive to thunder anytime soon unless of course this SE to S flow we have now advects in more French air over time tomight to interact with the front?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Scorching in Dublin City Centre...

Advertisement