Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is breastfeeding in public acceptable?

Options
  • 28-06-2019 9:32am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 71 ✭✭

Genuine question. This seems to be all the rage now, and the argument for it, is that it's completely natural! Well so is ****ting, yet society dictates that we must withdraw to the shadows for something so 'natural'.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Just a mother feeding her baby

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

ZilkyG wrote: »
    Genuine question.

No it isn't

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 71 ✭✭ZilkyG

No it isn't

Yes it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

Genuine question. This seems to be all the rage now, and the argument for it, is that it's completely natural! Well so is ****ting, yet society dictates that we must withdraw to the shadows for something so 'natural'.

Because society has fetishised the female breast, it seems verboten to some people.

But it is natural. They’re just feeding their babies ffs. Get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

It's nothing more than a baby being fed. If a breast stirs you up so much, that's on you.

Taking a dump in public can't be compared as the same, come on now.

• Advertisement

Smart Bug wrote: »
    Because society has fetishised the female breast, it seems verboten to some people.

But it is natural. They’re just feeding their babies ffs. Get over it.

So is crapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Because there is public amenities to get rid of your bodily waste. And it ****in stinks. Do you really wanna drop your kak’s In the middle of Starbucks and **** in the floor.

When your born one of the first things you do is get to suck on a titty. It warps my mind as to why people get so bent out of shape over this.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

Yes it is.

All you have to do is look away...the world will keep on turning.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

What would your advice be to a mother with a hungry baby and no formula?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Can. Open. Worms. Everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭endacl

None of the rest of us have to 'withdraw to the shadows' to eat.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Why is trolling in public acceptable?

Genuine question. This seems to be all the rage now, and the argument for it, is that it's completely just banter! Well so is ****ting, yet society dictates that we must withdraw to the shadows for something so 'natural'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Is there something wrong with me that I read the censored word as squirting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

So is crapping.

Which is feeding someone, I guess, if you’re at the top of the human centipede.

What’s your problem with it? Why is it such an issue for you?

Smart Bug wrote: »
    Which is feeding someone, I guess, if you’re at the top of the human centipede.

What’s your problem with it? Why is it such an issue for you?

Crapping or breastfeeding?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

All the rage now? Did you just hatch?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

Little babies need to eat every few hours. The breast provides the food. It's fresh and nutritious. Would you prefer if the mother was feeding her baby in a dirty public bathroom, just so people don't see a bit of a boobie?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭red petal

What's your issue with it?

*Genuine question

It fries my brain that there exists people bothered by a mother feeding her baby in public.

Why is anything acceptable in public? Why is eating in public acceptable? Why is reading in public acceptable? Why is talking in public acceptable?

Mainly because no one has offered any argument why it should not be.

It would be up to you to construct a case as to why it is not acceptable to do so - not for us to make a case that it is. Otherwise you would have to justify anything we do in public ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 J11

OP was never breastfed as a baby

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

All you have to do is look away...the world will keep on turning.

Its the preferred option too as nobody wants to feed their child with some randomer staring at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,243 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Why in God's name would it not be acceptable? Genuine question.

The argument for allowing breastfeeding in public is not that it's "completely natural". It's must simpler than that; it's that there is no reason to forbid it, and we shouldn't forbid things unless we have a fairly good reason for forbidding them.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭red petal

Because when a woman is breastfeeding, her breasts fill with milk.. for the baby (imagine!), the child gets hungry, the woman's breast become sore and the child would become distressed. So naturally, she feeds the baby. No one else is effected.

If someone needs to have a **** in public, there are plenty of public toilets with sanitary disposal of said ****. Therefore the civilized people use these for hygiene reasons for the protection of all.

Hope that simplifies it for you.

*Genuine Answer

• Registered Users Posts: 16,859 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Stop breastfeeding the troll!

I don't think people who are eating in restaurant should have to watch a baby suckling a lactating udder. At least cover it with a scarf or something.

This is up there with the guy who can not stand to watch two gay people holding hands in a restaurant without calling the staff to intervene. No on in a restaurant "has" to watch anything. If you choose to go to a restaurant then you are choosing to eat with the public - and anything they do. In fairness in some of my restaurant experiences seeing a baby feed would be much preferable to how some of the adults do.

If you do not want to watch people breast feed in a restaurant do not go to a restaurant. If you do not want to see obese people squeezed into lycra getting off bikes then probably do not eat or drink in an outdoor Beer Garden. I do not tend to want to watch spotty teenagers take enormous handfuls of popcorn and insert them into their mouth in one lump. I realise if I _choose_ to go to a cinema in the afternoon - I will likely see just that. My problem - not theirs.

What you "have" to see is your call. Not theirs. Your problem. Not theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I don't think people who are eating in restaurant should have to watch a baby suckling a lactating udder. At least cover it with a scarf or something.

You must name and shame those restaurants that allow this. Imagine going out for a nice meal, your head clamped in place, eyes held open by glue, and you're put in front of a breast feeding mother.

Why are you afraid of boobs OP?
    If you do not want to see obese people squeezed into lycra getting off bikes then probably do not eat or drink in an outdoor Beer Garden.

LOL, reminds me of the guy who always turns up in the cycling threads obsessed with looking at men's crotches when they come into a cafe wearing cycling gear.

I’m in my forties with a gaggle of children. I think in my whole lifetime I’ve seen maybe 6 times a mother breastfeeding in public and each of those times all I’ve seen is the back of a contented baby’s head.

If you’re staring it says more about you to be honest.

Get over yourself. Breasts are mammary glands for feeding a baby. Simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Newsflash: you don’t have to watch. You’re choosing to.

Weirdo, don’t be that guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

If it bothers you so much, you can always cover yourself with a scarf or something. See how you like eating with a scarf on your head.

Advertisement