Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates programme on greyhound racing industry

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

For anyone looking to contact related businesses, please consider emailing or phoning Dublin Coach. They have been promoting greyhound racing for a while with some sort of free entry deal advertised on their buses. I have contacted them in the past (and actively discouraged any visitors I know from using them), there was no reaction then but perhaps the tide is turning and they will not want to be associated with widely publicised atrocities now, especially if they receive significant feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Did you even read what I said?

I never mentioned cross breeding.
    I said cob mares who have foaled are used as wet nurses for thoroughbred foals. The cob foal then becomes surplus to requirements.
    They, if they are lucky, end up in rescue where people are desperately trying to feed them to keep them alive. Most aren't that lucky.

No they are not. Only on rare occasion would you ever use a wet nurse.

As I said i have worked in stables with lots of thoroughbred mares. They are just as good mom's as any other breed. I don't know where you are getting that info from. That makes no sense.

You think the amount of cobs in rescues are down to the racing industry??

I am sorry but you are grossly misinformed. Not only about the racing industry but about horses and their behavior in general.

A thoroughbred mare has no more risk of rejecting a foal than any other breed.

The amount of cobs in rescues has nothing to do with racing. It's other horse owners. And yes they do take up a serious amount of space in rescues.

And I mean why would they not just use bottle feeding much cheaper than keeping another horse??

If a foal is rejected (very very rare btw with any breed inc thoroughbreds) they usually bottle feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭unreg999

:confused::confused:

Um. I don't think so. I think you might be naive.

Um OK... I will tell the researchers and people who put themselves at risk and paid thousands to make the documentary that YOU think I'm naive for believing the work they published :confused::mad: (eyeroll)

By the way... it was also a belief that was kept in this side of the world in the past too... bulldogs were bred also for that purpose (and for entertainment), to harass and torment the poor bull by locking on to their noses as it was thought that adrenaline 'softened' the meat and made it taste better... there are other examples of this belief cropping up elsewhere too... but I guess it's all naivety?!

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/defenceless-dogs-scream-agony-boiled-8788111

I know this is from the Mirror but it was the first article I came across and I have better things to do than someone else's research for them... there's plenty more where that came from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Dante7 wrote: »
    Corrupt sport. Dogs get thrown in a river prior to a race to tire them out and also get injected with coke to speed them up. Nonsense sport.

There's plenty of actual documented abuse, no need to repeat some silly stories you heard over the years. not saying either thing has not happened but it isnt in any way common - for one thing, there are much cheaper, more effective and less detectable substances than cocaine, and drug testing is pretty strict.

If you think injecting dogs with cocaine would be useful you have a poor grasp of both math and animal biology. And a dip in the river won't slow down a prey instinct in a greyhound or make them too tired to race.

It's really not that high tech. These guys can't even spell injection tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭unreg999

With regards to businesses- I know Barry's Tea for example sponsor the dog races in Cork and a few of the local radio stations allow them to advertise....
    I'm sure there are other business around the country who regularly advertise and sponsor them too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

It seems to me very naive to think that in China people believe if you torture a dog it tastes better.

And since I have known several Chinese people since childhood it just stood out to me.

Eating dog in china is for some a tradition its not as mainstream as people think.

I suggest you seem very naive that just because you have known a few Chinese people you dismiss a poster more knowledgable than yourself.

Did you discuss the slaughter of dogs with your few Chinese aquaintences?

Unfortunately they do torture dogs before killing them because apparently adrenaline, and other stress hormones change the flavour of the meat.

There seems to be nothing too barbaric for the human race to discover. Filthy people.

unreg999 wrote: »
    Um OK... I will tell the researchers and people who put themselves at risk and paid thousands to make the documentary that YOU think I'm naive for believing the work they published :confused::mad: (eyeroll)

Calm down. I do think its naive to believe that yes.

I also think it's naive to believe that amount of effort and money goes into things like this.

Eating dog is not usual in China. It's never been mainstream. It's never been a mainstream tradition.

It's a myth that it's considered normal over there or that many people eat it regularly.

Most Chinese have never eaten dog meat and would consider it odd.

They might think 'well just let other people eat it if they want etc' but it's not mainstream.

And certainly any chinese I know would consider it weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

We can control it- and we will control it and we should control it.

why do we need to include that graphic footage of dog markets in Asia ? 20% of people in China eat dogs - there’s nothing the IGB can do about that;

There’s an onus on the national broadcaster to deliver fair and balanced reporting; the vibe I got here was to launch a total broadside on the Irish Greyhound Industry and inflict maximum damage - get the Industry banned and get hare coursing banned at all costs; that’s not balanced reporting.

These are legal sports in the country and should be afforded due process- whether u agree with them or not.

Knackeries r licensed to kill fallen animals in the fashion shown ; should they be killing dogs- absolutely not- horrific; there’s a very small number of these- this will be dealt with swiftly I’d imagine; the vibe seemed to be oh every Greyhound owner in the country visits knackeries;

It’s not balanced or reasoned reporting- there’s an onus to afford the industry that at least

It was balanced enough for me!!
    I wasn't even aware that there was an issue of animal cruel associated with this industry... now I can see that there are lot of hideous ****ers attached to its coatails.... the final scene at that lowlife tramps slaughterhouse in Laois was truly appaling and shameful

maggiepip wrote: »
    I suggest you seem very naive that just because you have known a few Chinese people you dismiss a poster more knowledgable than yourself.

Did you discuss the slaughter of dogs with your few Chinese aquaintences?

Unfortunately they do torture dogs before killing them because apparently adrenaline, and other stress hormones change the flavour of the meat.

There seems to be nothing too barbaric for the human race to discover. Filthy people.

And my brother lived in hongkong for six months.

I promise you its not mainstream.

https://www.hsi.org/news-media/yulin-dog-meat-survey-061217/

https://www.chinadialogue.net/culture/7175-The-myth-of-dog-eating-in-China/en

Its not even sanctioned by the chinese dept of agriculture for people to legally even eat it. So what does that tell you?

Its not mainstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭dickangel

Calm down. I do think its naive to believe that yes

So what is the reasoning behind boiling them alive as shown tonight and many, many times before? They clearly go out of their way to do it, as it would be much easier to kill the dogs awaiting cooking.

• Advertisement

southstar wrote: »
    It was balanced enough for me!!
    I wasn't even aware that there was an issue of animal cruel associated with this industry... now I can see that there are lot of hideous ****ers attached to its coatails.... the final scene at that lowlife tramps slaughterhouse in Laois was truly appaling and shameful

I would say it was fair.

But that not everyone working with dogs in the industry is the same.

that doesn't mean it should not change though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Eating dog is not usual in China. It's never been mainstream. It's never been a mainstream tradition.

It's a myth that it's considered normal over there or that many people eat it regularly.

Most Chinese have never eaten dog meat and would consider it odd.

They might think 'well just let other people eat it if they want etc' but it's not mainstream.

China is 1.4 bln people. Someone said 20% up thread but even if 10% eat it that's 140mln dog eaters.

Also, only single digit percentages in Ireland play golf or listen to dance music yet both are considered mainstream.

strandroad wrote: »
    China is 1.4 bln people. Someone said 20% up thread but even if 10% eat it that's 140mln dog eaters.

Also, only single digit percentages in Ireland play golf or listen to EDC yet both are considered mainstream.

But they knew some Chinese people once, therefore...

dickangel wrote: »
    So what is the reasoning behind boiling them alive as shown tonight and many, many times before? They clearly go out of their way to do it, as it would be much easier to kill the dogs awaiting cooking.

There isn't one.

Chinese people are not stupid.

There is no reason for the cruelty. Its just part of the festival.

Chinese people KNOW it doesn't make meat taste better. They also know its bad.

By the way you realize Chinese people CANNOT protest about anything without it being supicious. They can't organize political rally's etc. It's too dangerous.

So if they think the god festival is just cruelty for the sake of cruelty it's not like they can become activists etc like we can in the west.

Also, only single digit percentages in Ireland play golf or listen to EDC yet both are considered mainstream.
    If 10% have only played golf once in their lives??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

There's plenty of actual documented abuse, no need to repeat some silly stories you heard over the years. not saying either thing has not happened but it isnt in any way common - for one thing, there are much cheaper, more effective and less detectable substances than cocaine, and drug testing is pretty strict.

If you think injecting dogs with cocaine would be useful you have a poor grasp of both math and animal biology. And a dip in the river won't slow down a prey instinct in a greyhound or make them too tired to race.

It's really not that high tech. These guys can't even spell injection tbh.

I owned a share in an expensive greyhound. I saw what was happening. It's all about the gambling. They are absolutely slowed down by chucking them in a river for a thirty minute swim just before a race and they were heavily drugged. It's the most corrupt "sport" I ever had the displeasure of being involved in.

There isn't one.

Chinese people are not stupid.

There is no reason for the cruelty. Its just part of the festival.

Chinese people KNOW it doesn't make meat taste better. They also know its bad.

The majority know perhaps. But the reason they are killed alive is for taste. I suppose you'll say the usage of rhino horn in China isn't prevalent enough to cause concern either.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I find it impossible to believe, if half make it to the track rescues are most definitely not rehoming 6000 greyhounds a year. A couple hundred at best. Then some are kept for breeding. The remaining 5000 are also killed one way or another.

Of interest there are also 'some' non responsible pet owners who abandon their dogs

In 2015 alone some 13,500 dogs were taken in by dog pounds in Ireland.. Many of these dogs are killed because they are unwanted...

There is an issue with irresponsible ownership across the board I have no doubt.

I owned a share in an expensive greyhound. I saw what was happening. It's all about the gambling. They are absolutely slowed down by chucking them in a river for a thirty minute swim just before a race and they were heavily drugged. It's the most corrupt "sport" I ever had the displeasure of being involved in.

My brother observed the same. Not chucking in the river but serious drugging issues sedation etc ...or the opposite ..the dogs weight would also bounce up and down ...like if you give a dog a large meal before a race etc.

The majority know perhaps. But the reason they are killed alive is for taste. I suppose you'll say the usage of rhino horn in China isn't prevalent enough to cause concern either.

No I would say it is. But have you ever been to a chinese hospital??

Not much rhino horn.

Also they use it in western medical research in china as well as chinese medicine.

And considering the documentary maybe we should get ourselves sorted before we blame the Chinese. It seems kind of like double standards and racism.

• Advertisement

You said they were injected with coke.

Okay, what type of injections were they? Intramuscular, intravenous? Who gives them the injections? How much coke per injection? How much does each injection cost?

I'm asking because your answers will prove you have no actual knowledge of this as it is, like I said, a ridiculously impractical and ineffective way to fix a race.

And these races aren't worth fixing really. The prize money is feck all, and unlike horses the odds on dogs are rarely bigger than 5/1 or 6/1, leaving little chance for a huge payoff. And on top of that there are no jockeys to stop the animals bumping each other which happens all the time.

All this coke injecting stuff is old wives tales basically the actual issues arw what was on the doc tonight - the dogs being inhumanely disposed of in huge numbers.

And my brother lived in hongkong for six months.

I promise you its not mainstream.

https://www.hsi.org/news-media/yulin-dog-meat-survey-061217/

https://www.chinadialogue.net/culture/7175-The-myth-of-dog-eating-in-China/en

Its not even sanctioned by the chinese dept of agriculture for people to legally even eat it. So what does that tell you?

Its not mainstream.

The point wasn't about whether it was mainstream or not, so you don't need to promise me anything. There's is however many people eating dog meat in China and they do torture the dogs. Is that plain enough.

Not much rhino horn.

Also they use it in western medical research in china as well as chinese medicine.

And considering the documentary maybe we should get ourselves sorted before we blame the Chinese. It seems kind of like double standards and racism.

I've no idea what point you're trying to make about rhino horn in Chinese hospitals. You're saying it's not mainstream? I agree, but still it has decimated the rhino population. Not being mainstream is justification for nothing. There are a lot of people in China, a small percentage is still an enormous number compared to here.

And we should definitely sort out our own first, and part of that is not exporting dogs to China given their appalling treatment of animals.

Oh and racism me hole. Defending animal abuse because you're afraid it might be racism. Get a grip.

You said they were injected with coke.

Okay, what type of injections were they? Intramuscular, intravenous? Who gives them the injections? How much coke per injection? How much does each injection cost?

I'm asking because your answers will prove you have no actual knowledge of this as it is, like I said, a ridiculously impractical and ineffective way to fix a race.
    Orally. Not coke. They are drugged to lose just as often as they are drugged to win.

Orally. Not coke. They are drugged to lose just as often as they are drugged to win.

Well I was responding to the poster who said they were injected with coke, not you.

I've no idea what point you're trying to make about rhino horn in Chinese hospitals. You're saying it's not mainstream? I agree, but still it has decimated the rhino population. Not being mainstream is justification for nothing.

And we should definitely sort out our own first, and part of that is not exporting dogs to China given their appalling treatment of animals.

Oh and racism me hole. Defending animal abuse because you're afraid it might be racism. Get a grip.

I am saying Doctors in China don't use it at all. Hospitals do not use traditional chinese medicine in china. It would be like a hospital here using herbalism.

And if you are sick in china you go to a doctor. Just like you do here.

You get me?

If you are kind of a hippie etc or you have this strange tummy ailment you go to this Chinese medicine place that you as a Chinese person probably don't actually believe in but you are willing to give it a try. And since a big country has a lot of suckers 'chinese medicine' makes money from a placebo effect. And people know this.

But while if this happened here you could go protest. In china that cannot happen.

But no doctor uses it. 'Healers' use it.

Chinese people go to hospital when they have cancer etc. And that chinese hospital is going to tell them that traditional Chinese medicine is pseudoscience and even harmful to them. And any Doctor in China will tell them the same.

That is the situation.

Well I was responding to the poster who said they were injected with coke, not you.

I was just answering. :o Sorry.

You made several good points though.

Not much rhino horn.

It's not fcuking racism jesus christ, highlighting the abuse and torture of innocent loving dogs, a billion times better than you or I, and someone starts with fcuking racism!!!!!

And the whole point of the documentary was our Irish dogs are ending up in places like China where they will suffer even more abuse. Fact!!!! No racism involved dummy.

I am saying Doctors in China don't use it at all. Hospitals do not use traditional chinese medicine in china. It would be like a hospital here using herbalism.

And if you are sick in china you go to a doctor. Just like you do here.

You get me?

If you are kind of a hippie etc or you have this strange tummy ailment you go to this Chinese medicine place that you as a Chinese person probably don't actually believe in but you are willing to give it a try. And since a big country has a lot of suckers 'chinese medicine' makes money from a placebo effect. And people know this.

But while if this happened here you could go protest. In china that cannot happen.

But no doctor uses it. 'Healers' use it.

Chinese people go to hospital when they have cancer etc. And that chinese hospital is going to tell them that traditional Chinese medicine is pseudoscience and even harmful to them. And any Doctor in China will tell them the same.

That is the situation.

Pretty much none of that has any relevance to what I said. Not a single person here has said rhino horn or dog meat is mainstream, yet on and on you go..

China has a poor record with animal welfare, let's stop sending dogs there to be tortured. Simple.

"But not all Chinese" you'll say, well enough to cause international concern.

• Advertisement

maggiepip wrote: »
    The point wasn't about whether it was mainstream or not, so you don't need to promise me anything. There's is however many people eating dog meat in China and they do torture the dogs. Is that plain enough.

I never disagreed with you about that.

But you have to understand you are privileged to live in a country where you can protest about that. The Chinese are not. Do you understand?

Its not that they are less caring to animals. Its that when this happens they are powerless as a society to challenge it.

So think about that the next time you generalize and stigmatize.

They are human beings. And it's a country that puts HUMAN BEINGS in concentration camps.

They can't do anything to save the dogs without risking their own lives.

It's not because they don't care. It's not because they are barbaric it's not cultural. It's because they live under a totalitarian regime.

And most chinese people feel as you do. But what can they do?

Advertisement