Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Step 4. Stop giving away 10k in stupid competitions on the late late show.

In fairness, they probably earn about 10 times that much from the premium rate competition text lines.

so, it's another form of revenue for them. they decline to publish just how much they earn from them.

And now for your chance to win 10 grand.

Who recently voted to leave the European Union?

Is it;

A: Australia
    B: North Korea
    C: United Kingdom
    D: Leitrim

Calls/texts cost €1 and don't forget to ask the bill payers permission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

The content RTE produce is based on the 15% of TV viewers who only watch RTE1.
    Middle and older aged folks.

But why then so much boybands and modern country music? No one young or middle aged or older like any of that drivel. Same thing with Mrs Brown and so on: RTE seems to be based on what they THINK people want but in fact don't. The Handmaid's Tale = the only decent programme shown on RTE at the moment and that is a top American drama, not Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

The content RTE produce is based on the 15% of TV viewers who only watch RTE1.
    Middle and older aged folks.

'Member Hardy Bucks? I 'member.

In fairness, they probably earn about 10 times that much from the premium rate competition text lines.

so, it's another form of revenue for them. they decline to publish just how much they earn from them.

And now for your chance to win 10 grand.

Who recently voted to leave the European Union?

Is it;

A: Australia
    B: North Korea
    C: United Kingdom
    D: Leitrim

Calls/texts cost €1 and don't forget to ask the bill payers permission.

First off, only 2 of these places are in the EU. Australia and North Korea are not in it. Of the 2 remaining, only one is a country. Leitrim is a region of the Republic of Ireland. So, that leaves the United Kingdom!!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

First off, only 2 of these places are in the EU. Australia and North Korea are not in it. Of the 2 remaining, only one is a country. Leitrim is a region of the Republic of Ireland. So, that leaves the United Kingdom!!!

You and the other 50,000 clever clogs are sure to win then, remember to ask the bill payers permission first...

RTÉ earns 50 grand, and they give 10k of it away to mastermind.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

kneemos wrote: »
    The license fee allocations. These folk fritter millions like loose change.

An Post are rewarded nearly €10m for their failure to do anything about the appalling evasion rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

An Post are rewarded nearly €10m for their failure to do anything about the appalling evasion rate.

But in reality isn't that how an post is funded to circumvent EU regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭political analyst

Step 1. Sell Montrose and move to a new cheaper site. It must be worth half a billion that plot.

Step 2. Slash salaries across the board but 50% at least off the top earners.

Step 3. Get rid of 2FM, RTE2, RTE news now and all the other stuff that increases costs like the orchestra

Step 5. Reduce the fee to 100 euro a year and stop sending people to prison for not paying it.

News Now is useful for the simulcast of Euronews from 11 PM to 7 AM and also for showing sporting events to which RTÉ has the rights but can't broadcast on the main channels due to other events on at the same time - a Gaelic match was shown on News Now not a long time ago.

Furthermore, the Euronews simulcast is useful for those people who, because of cost or planning restrictions, can't have cable TV or a satellite dish or broadband, so that they can watch world news overnight - especially when the main evening bulletin wasn't broadcast at all on a Saturday night recently because of the Eurovision (Irish national news was covered, as usual, by hourly bulletins overnight on Radio 1, which is available on Saorview, Saorsat and free-of-charge on the Astra satellite as well as analogue radio and DAB).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Step 1. Sell Montrose and move to a new cheaper site. It must be worth half a billion that plot.

Step 2. Slash salaries across the board but 50% at least off the top earners.

Step 3. Get rid of 2FM, RTE2, RTE news now and all the other stuff that increases costs like the orchestra

Step 5. Reduce the fee to 100 euro a year and stop sending people to prison for not paying it.

Just a small point but true nonetheless.
    Nobody has ever been sent to prison for not paying the TV licence.
    You can however be fined for not paying and if you don't pay the fine may be jailed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

elperello wrote: »
    [/B]

Just a small point but true nonetheless.
    Nobody has ever been sent to prison for not paying the TV licence.
    You can however be fined for not paying and if you don't pay the fine may be jailed.

For not originally paying the fee,

• Advertisement

For not originally paying the fee,

No.
    Please let's make this clear for once and all.
    If you have a TV you need a licence.
    You can chose not to have a TV and then you need no licence.

If however you decide to have a TV without purchasing a licence and are detected you will be brought to court and fined.

You then have a choice.

You can pay the fine and either get rid of the TV or purchase a licence.
    Or you can refuse to pay the fine.
    If you refuse to pay the fine then you may be jailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Some smart arse always comes out with this crap.

No TV licence=no fine=no jail. I fecking hate this argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Not paying for the licence fee is great.

The existing system of collection suits me because I dont answer the door to the Tv Licence Goon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

No.
    Please let's make this clear for once and all.
    If you have a TV you need a licence.
    You can chose not to have a TV and then you need no licence.

If however you decide to have a TV without purchasing a licence and are detected you will be brought to court and fined.

You then have a choice.

You can pay the fine and either get rid of the TV or purchase a licence.
    Or you can refuse to pay the fine.
    If you refuse to pay the fine then you may be jailed.

Your logic is deeply flawed. The ultimate source of the "offence" is not having a tv licence if you have a television. You're effectively jailed because you're not paying for the licence. You can jazz it up all you want and say it's because of non-payment of the fine but it doesn't follow logic. If you pay the fine you're effectively paying the licence fee.

Maybe the payment of the licence would be more palatable to people if the services that RTE provide were of anything other than dog**** quality in almost every department. This is on top of the blatant wasting of money going on that wouldn't be tolerated at an even moderately well managed enterprise that relied on commercial success to stay alive.....i.e. a business.

If RTE want to get people onboard, they need to be more inclusive of the people and need to consult them more, get them involved more and support talent everywhere more. Until that happens, ignoring the people, pushing cronies on the people and showing expensive threatening ads about TV licences will not encourage people to support them. The opposite is what clearly happens instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

ligerdub wrote: »
    Your logic is deeply flawed. The ultimate source of the "offence" is not having a tv licence if you have a television. You're effectively jailed because you're not paying for the licence. You can jazz it up all you want and say it's because of non-payment of the fine but it doesn't follow logic. If you pay the fine you're effectively paying the licence fee.

Maybe the payment of the licence would be more palatable to people if the services that RTE provide were of anything other than dog**** quality in almost every department. This is on top of the blatant wasting of money going on that wouldn't be tolerated at an even moderately well managed enterprise that relied on commercial success to stay alive.....i.e. a business.

So having a car is is the reason you go to jail if you don't pay a car tax fine?

The Mars bar is responsible for putting you in jail if you don't pay a littering fine?

Or maybe blame your house for not paying your property tax.

ligerdub wrote: »

Nothing wrong with my logic.

If you were summonsed to court for not having a licence and received a jail sentence for the offence that would be jail for non payment.
    That does not happen.

Even if you pay the fine you still need to pay the licence if you want to have a TV. Paying the fine is not effectively paying the licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,030 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Its 10 years since i got rid of my tv, and about 13 since i last bought(was forced) to buy a tv license. Since then, i have probably used the rte player about 10-12 times for sport or something, but invariably it is so crap i end up finding a buggy stream and using that instead as its better. I rarely use rte website for news or listen go radio1/2fm, really the only thing i would actively consume from them is something on the tg4 player or rnag in the car to keep up on my irish. I have no problem contributing to a public service that provides for language, culture etc, however if they tried to bring in a flat household charge without completely restructing rte as an organisation, that would be the straw that breaks the camels back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

kneemos wrote:
    The Mars bar is responsible for putting you in jail if you don't pay a littering fine?

Or maybe blame your house for not paying your property tax.

So having a car is is the reason you go to jail if you don't pay a car tax fine?

I've not made any claims running opposite the logic you have presented. Quite the opposite in fact.

If i don't have car tax and get fined and go to prison for not paying the fine then the offence is still sourced from not having valid car tax, much like not having a tv licence when one has a tv and the subsequent fine and non-payment of. It's almost a carbon copy example of what I claimed.

Again, same goes for the house and property tax. At least in the case of the property and motor tax the services I've elected to use may indeed get some funding from the taxes I pay though.

I've made no claims about blaming the tv, car or house for somebody going to prison in these issues.

In the case of littering, again the offence is related to the act of littering. I at least wanted the mars bar in the first place if I end up littering though. In no case would you find me littering for something I didn't want in the first place.

Maybe they'll introduce a lunch licence one day, where people pay for a mars bar every lunch whether they want one or not......if they decide they want to have lunch at some point in the year. The people who like mars bars can then be apologists and decry anyone who thinks mars bars are a waste of money and aren't to their taste to begin with. They don't care though, they like mars bars.

Anyway, that's enough metaphorically knocking of my head against a wall for one day. Good evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

grahambo wrote: »
    Dee Forbes is at it again over the TV licence fee.

Whinging the €60m wasn't collected and RTE cannot compete.

That's about 375,00 homes not paying the fee, so evasion is about 15%

The whole TV licence thing REALLY bugs me.
    I don't watch RTE, not even for the Soccer/GAA. I might listen to the radio when I drive the car in the morning (which is once a blue moon)
    I don't use the service, why the hell should I have to pay for it!

Obviously we cannot get rid of RTE as there are a great many people that do use the service.
    That being said massive reforms are needed.
    Firstly, do we really need RTE1 and RTE2? One channel would be enough.
    Same with the radio stations, we only need one.
    Do we REALLY need TG4?

The land they are on as well is ridiculous, some of the most valuable land in the country. They don't need to be there, they could be out in Athlone or somewhere an no one would know the difference.

And then there's the salaries of the bigshots
    Ryan Tubridy - €500,000 per year is the biggest Joke of all
    That salary puts him on a par with the likes of Claudia Winkleman, Alan Shearer, Fiona Bruce of the BBC.
    He is nothing compared to them.
    BBC can justify big salaries as it is broadcast around the world, and the content is generally quite good.
    No one outside of Ireland know's who Tubb's is.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/rte-director-general-calls-for-changes-in-tv-licence-fee-as-60m-uncollected-annually-840770.html

I dunno where she is getting 60 million from....i would say she pulled it out of the air. In a country the size of Ireland yeah right D.

• Advertisement

Ireland never got the hang of making T.V and having a broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,270 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I dunno where she is getting 60 million from....i would say she pulled it out of the air. In a country the size of Ireland yeah right D.

Plus not taking account of the fact that most of that 15% probably don't have a tv but lets forget semantics because it doesn't sound good saying 15% of people don't have a licence for whatever reason liking not having a TV

Eamonn Andrews, Gay Byrne, Terry Wogan.
    All at the top of their game up there with the best.

Documentary on the greyhound scandal to night as good as you would see anywhere.

Eamonn Andrews, Gay Byrne, Terry Wogan

Who went where and made it? Wish some of these "top" presenters tried it as RTE keep reminding us they would go elsewhere if they weren't paid the salaries they get

As for the greyhound scandal - everyone and their dog has known this has been going on for years, cheap sensationalist journalism

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

I don't pay the license fee and I use an illegal IPTV subscription.

fritzelly wrote: »
    Plus not taking account of the fact that most of that 15% probably don't have a tv but lets forget semantics because it doesn't sound good saying 15% of people don't have a licence for whatever reason liking not having a TV

Its just damage control because of the bad reports they have received recently.

Outrageous lies.

In fact haven't most of the "breaking news" stories of Prime Time et al already been in the public eye?
    Trying to think of one story that they broke that no one knew of...

Its just damage control because of the bad reports they have received recently.

Outrageous lies.

No it's worse than that, it's lies like that they can use as an argument for a blanket wide charge.
    Thank god the government told them to feck off but they are still arguing for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Documentary on the greyhound scandal to night as good as you would see anywhere.
    Rte investigates was so BRILLIANT. it made me happy I had my TV licence.

• Advertisement

There is more to making tv and being a broadcaster than that. Good T.V is profitable. It's efficient behind the scenes.

RTE is terribly run. It also has some of the most unprofessional employees. Some of the things that go on could just NOT happen in other companies. They wouldn't get away with it.

The press gives RTE a VERY easy ride.

And i know we NEED a state broadcaster etc. Denis O'Brien can't provide us with that. But the above is true.

Advertisement