Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Hey, I'm a cyclist, so you don't need to tell me anything about geniuses who arrive in to a forum with the 'great idea' that has been debunked many, many times before with actual facts.

But if you're going to 'organise a resistance', you're going to need to hear the counter arguments and be able to address them. If you're afraid to hear other voices, it doesn't bode well for their ability to set out a coherent position.

A forum is not equivalent to a resistance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

In fairness, you can say pretty much whatever you like on RTE's social media pages without any fear of retribution or banning.

Probably because they don't read the replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Didi Hamann on the RTE panel for champions league football tonight. Presumably he lives in Germany, why are RTE paying for him to come over to do punditry when there are plenty of Irish based ex footballers who can do the same job. He's only on screen for maximum an hour.

Didi Hamann on the RTE panel for champions league football tonight. Presumably he lives in Germany, why are RTE paying for him to come over to do punditry when there are plenty of Irish based ex footballers who can do the same job. He's only on screen for maximum an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Can't we just keep Didi and sent Ray D'Arcy to Germany, somewhere deep in the black forest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Didi lives in the UK I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Didi lives in the UK I think.

Ryanair so, even cheap to fly back to Germany to play in his amateur team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,428 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Can we have a discount from our licence fee from Joe Duffy constantly advertising his own book(s) on air during Liveline? The BBC certainly wouldn't allow such carry on from their contractors and staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

The forriners are taking our jobs?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 47 schoolhouse

Scrap 2fm.Tubridy and Darcy need wages cut by 50% for a start.In my opinion they are only averrage presenters,well Darcy anyway.The people who fill in for Tubs and Darcy are all better than both of them.TG4is actually one of the successes in RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

In fairness, you can say pretty much whatever you like on RTE's social media pages without any fear of retribution or banning.

In fairness, RTE's social media following is fake as fcuk. You only have to look at their Twitter account, with its 540k followers and tweets that get bugger all likes or re-tweets!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Every time I listen to D'arcy (which isn't often or for long) he's just repeating crap he read in the newspaper or someone told him - the most useless presenter ever. Look at the likes of Montcrieff - you may not like some of his views but his show is entertaining always

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Venom wrote: »
    In fairness, RTE's social media following is fake as fcuk. You only have to look at their Twitter account, with its 540k followers and tweets that get bugger all likes or re-tweets!

They also removed the comment section from rte.ie. You can't comment on the entertainment section anymore, nor the sports section either. You used to be able to, not now tho.

klaaaz wrote: »
    The forriners are taking our jobs?:rolleyes:

I don't care about his nationality, just the fact that it costs more to have him on the panel than somebody based closer to RTE studios.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I don't care about his nationality, just the fact that it costs more to have him on the panel than somebody based closer to RTE studios.

Richard Dunne lives in Monaco, would have cost more to get him in for the game.

Who lives locally that you would get? Glen Crowe? The taxi across the city would cost as much as Didi Hamann's flight.

Richard Dunne lives in Monaco, would have cost more to get him in for the game.

Who lives locally that you would get? Glen Crowe? The taxi across the city would cost as much as Didi Hamann's flight.

Does he really? That's another waste of money by RTE so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,731 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Does he really? That's another waste of money by RTE so.

Don’t suggest Kerr anyone, pleeeeeeese.

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Cryptopagan

Easily one of the best pundits they’ve ever had. And presumably they want at least one person who has actually played a bit in the Champions League, ruling most Irish pundits out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

So, RTE1 have a show on right now called 'Weather Live'.

It's a 1hr slot (no idea if it's a once off) but it's like they are just coming up with sh1t to keep Kathryn Thomas employed.

It is educational and entertaining but im sick of her fcuking face and her fcuking voice.

/end rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Scrap 2fm.Tubridy and Darcy need wages cut by 50% for a start.In my opinion they are only averrage presenters,well Darcy anyway.The people who fill in for Tubs and Darcy are all better than both of them.TG4is actually one of the successes in RTE.

I don't know how you can equate TG4 as "actually one of the successes in RTE", when the two organizations are completely, and totally independent of one another.

• Advertisement

So, RTE1 have a show on right now called 'Weather Live'.

It's a 1hr slot (no idea if it's a once off) but it's like they are just coming up with sh1t to keep Kathryn Thomas employed.

It is educational and entertaining but im sick of her fcuking face and her fcuking voice.

/end rant.

She's not employed, she's a contractor

She's not employed, she's a contractor

Thanks for that correction.

My post makes more sense now. Jaysis I don't know what I was typing. Some gibberish as usual.

Holy fcukballs I hope people are able to understand my point now.

Huuuuuuuwwwwweeeee that was a close one, I almost made a fool of myself for a second there, thanks man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Thanks for that correction.

My post makes more sense now. Jaysis I don't know what I was typing. Some gibberish as usual.

Holy fcukballs I hope people are able to understand my point now.

Huuuuuuuwwwwweeeee that was a close one, I almost made a fool of myself for a second there, thanks man.
    Maybe there's a deeper meaning for the correction.
    It's just one of the ways these so-called "stars" are able to make so much money off the tax payer licensee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

can't they sack all the news 'presenters' seriously they just read an autoque pay them 5ok a year . they aren't celebs .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,582 ✭✭✭✭elperello

can't they sack all the news 'presenters' seriously they just read an autoque pay them 5ok a year . they aren't celebs .

I understand this lady is available at very reasonable rates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7J2Nnl7Ano

Kivaro wrote: »
    Maybe there's a deeper meaning for the correction.
    It's just one of the ways these so-called "stars" are able to make so much money off the tax payer licensee.

You're right, sarcasm wasnt at all needed, stupid fast fingers.

Humble apologies to 'downtheroad' and thanks.

They did the 'Weather Live' thing last year, I believe. They'll next do a 'Science Week' thing next.

It's Summer filler. It's totally about padding the weeks until the break is over and it's back to normal.

You won't be getting any good shows from RTE in the next few months. At least there's no Miriam O'Callahan chat show.

Small mercies.

elperello wrote: »
    I understand this lady is available at very reasonable rates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7J2Nnl7Ano

I really didn't want to click on that, but I did.
    Based on how biased RTE is, she is actually perfect to read the news. In fact, she would be perfect to replace all of RTE's newsreaders, political correspondents, and radio hosts .......... since it's the same one-sided hymn sheet that they read from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭sxt

Rte reveal losses of 13 million in 2018

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/rte-reveals-losses-over-13-17257149

#Draintheswamp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

sxt wrote: »
    Rte reveal losses of 13 million in 2018

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/rte-reveals-losses-over-13-17257149

#Draintheswamp

Deluded.

Start with dramatically reducing fees to untalented and overpaid presenters who work less hours in a week than most of us do in a day.

Linked to above, make all of these presenters salaries employees, rather than pseudo contractors (which enables them to save a fortune in Tax, effectively significantly increasing their earnings).

End the cronyism and nepotism that is rampant in RTÉ.

Start with those simple steps and then we can return to the licence fee issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The annual report for 2018.
    https://www.rte.ie/annualreport/

Deluded.

Start with dramatically reducing fees to untalented and overpaid presenters who work less hours in a week than most of us do in a day.

Linked to above, make all of these presenters salaries employees, rather than pseudo contractors (which enables them to save a fortune in Tax, effectively significantly increasing their earnings).

End the cronyism and nepotism that is rampant in RTÉ.

Start with those simple steps and then we can return to the licence fee issue.

Dee Forbes was on the Six One news tonight blaming Government inaction for RTE's financial difficulties.
    They are so detached from reality.
    Dee's arrogance and superiority complex was on HD display this evening.
    €20 is all they are worth per year ........... on a subscription basis.

Well I'm sure they'll make their money back from repeating Podge and Rodge, and Taken Down...

Cos they worked out SO well the last time.

If you want to experience absolute HELL, try watching the Big DIY Challenge.

It's terrible...absolutely terrible. Looks like they spent most of the money on PJ Gallagher's horrific tattoos.

And this is what RTE will be serving up-Baz what's his face will be doing the Irish version of DIY SOS too...
    DIY shows, cooking shows... RTE have nothing original.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Don't pay the fee so not that arsed but people who do pay it do you feel it's value for money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Well I'm sure they'll make their money back from repeating Podge and Rodge, and Taken Down...

Cos they worked out SO well the last time.

If you want to experience absolute HELL, try watching the Big DIY Challenge.

It's terrible...absolutely terrible. Looks like they spent most of the money on PJ Gallagher's horrific tattoos.

And this is what RTE will be serving up-Baz what's his face will be doing the Irish version of DIY SOS too...
    DIY shows, cooking shows... RTE have nothing original.

Will avoid Big DIY Challenge. This sort of out and out drivel is everywhere and if it ain't stuff like that, it is bloody Mrs Brown's Boys repeats. PJ Gallagher, Alison Spittle and until he was shamed Al Porter are their idea of 'comedy' along with Mrs Brown it seems? God help us. Of course, this is all cheap to make: most of the money is for the salaries of the presenters!

• Advertisement

The license fee allocations. These folk fritter millions like loose change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Is there anywhere to see the salaries / payments made to contractors for the presenters ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

kneemos wrote: »
    The license fee allocations. These folk fritter millions like loose change.

€9 mil for the two orchestras.
    Fuck me.

Fuck me.

Eight and a half million on Raidio na Gaeltachta. Unless they've built a complete new studio and brand new equipment I've no idea how on earth it could cost this much.

Five blokes in Aran Sweaters and two sheep dogs probably makes up half their listenership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,721 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Fuck me.

€176,153 per week on the 2 orchestras

€176,153 per week

Also, anyone any idea what "Non-RTÉ Activities" are, as its costing €29,590,000 per year, or €569,038 per week.

• Advertisement

They also say that special events (The World Cup given as 1) caused an increase in spending. If that's the case, why was RTÉ 2's spend down €4.64m from 2017 to 2018 (2018 being the year the expensive world cup was broadcast)?

They really are brazen to levels barely seen before!! Why? Because they're getting away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,107 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

whatever about the Orchestras and RnaG (which I can accept have social and cultural value) why is RTE2 and 2FM getting any money from the license. Neither station is doing anything that the commercial sector doesn't already do; I thought 2FM was supposed to be self-financing. Sell them both off.

re: the orchestras, there was a recent proposal to split one of them off to be an independent organisation, but it probably would still be heavily subsidised by the taxpayer so it's much of a muchness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭firemansam4

But what is ever going to be done about this TV licence fee? When has there been any protests about it? When was it ever an election issue?

The water charges brought mass protest and was eventually defeated because of that, yet people seem to be happy to pay out money for the TV licence every year lining the pockets of the likes of Darcy and there is never any real issue made of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

RTE News and Current Affairs does a decent job, particularly Prime Time but they really need to cut themselves down to size on a lot of things.

The salaries for high profile presenters need to be calculated properly. These huge sums wouldn't be available in the commercial sector - Virgin Media, TodayFM and Newstalk don't have the budgets and if presenters go, let them go. There's a huge wealth of new talent that RTE should be nurturing anyway as part of their role as a public service broadcaster.

This thing of employment of presenters as contractors also should require that the programmes are out out to tender every 3 to 5 years as per normal public service contract practice. Otherwise, presenters should be staff and frankly should be happy to be.

I'd like to see evidence that the use of production companies has actually reduced costs.

They also need to drive down operating costs and focus more on actually producing programmes rather than just burning it away in overheads and projects that are nothing to do with broadcasting.

Also I would like to see RTE end sponsorship of events and organisations entirely. They're a loss making public body, not a commercial entity and they've no business throwing public money at events. If the state wants to use public money to fund arts, sports etc, there's are various bodies that are accountable to the public who can do that. Diverting the TV licence into anything other than production of broadcasting content isn't really acceptable. I don't understand why RTE is behaving like a commercial entity on this kind of thing. It has absolutely no need to promote its brand as it has the ability to do that through its broadcasting activities, yet it seems to behave like it's a commercial company doing CSR.

While RTE is running a deficit they absolutely need to stop splashing cash that they don't have. It's really ridiculous.

loyatemu wrote: »
    whatever about the Orchestras and RnaG (which I can accept have social and cultural value) why is RTE2 and 2FM getting any money from the license. Neither station is doing anything that the commercial sector doesn't already do; I thought 2FM was supposed to be self-financing. Sell them both off.

re: the orchestras, there was a recent proposal to split one of them off to be an independent organisation, but it probably would still be heavily subsidised by the taxpayer so it's much of a muchness.

Plenty of independent radio stations survive and make a living without a four million subsidy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Expunge

Fuck me.
    Eight and a half million on Raidio na Gaeltachta. Unless they've built a complete new studio and brand new equipment I've no idea how on earth it could cost this much.

Just to note that's not quite right. The Orchestras received 9 Euro 16 Cent (or 6 per cent) of each licence fee

R na G received 8.57 of every licence fee (Up from 8.49 in 2017)

The TOTAL amount spent on the Orchestras was 12,751,000 Euros in 2018
    The TOTAL amount of licence fee spent on R na G was 11,911,000 in 2018.

Just to also point out that the RTE Orchestras managed to bring in just over 2.9 million Euros in "commercial activities" (I believe that to be miming to tracked music in a field with Jenny Green). Without that revenue, the cost of the orchestras would have been over 15.5 million euros.

Expunge wrote: »
    Just to note that's not quite right. The Orchestras received 9 Euro 16 Cent (or 6 per cent) of each licence fee

Thats a nice way of them then to display the figures, to make it appear less than it actually is!! so the orchestra's actually cost €241,750 per week, or just over €1m per month.

Expunge wrote: »

Every county has a small independent radio station. Baffled how TnaG costs twelve million extra to run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Expunge

Thats a nice way of them then to display the figures, to make it appear less than it actually is!! so the orchestra's actually cost €241,750 per week, or just over €1m per month.

'Fraid so. One has to rummage around the report a bit to get to those figures but they are there.
    Just to flesh it out a little more in terms of total licence fee spend (what they call "attribution of public funding"):
    RTE 1 (TV): 67,727,000 Euros
    RTE 2 (TV): 34,916,000 Euros
    RTE Radio 1: 16,210,000
    RTE 2FM: 4,679,000
    RTE lyric FM: 5,991,000
    RTE Rna G: 11,911,000
    Orchestras: 12,751,000
    TG4 "Support": 7,029,000
    Corporate HQ (my favourite!): 4,303,000
    Online Services: 10,812,000
    "Other Channels" (not much detail on this one): 7,998,000

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix