Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

While I'd prefer if all motorists exercised correct lane discipline, I'm not as put out as others seem to be here if some motorists hog lane's 2 and 3 while lane 1 is left clear and relatively unused. If I can cruise within the speed limit in lane 1 while traffic in lanes 2/3 are only going at 40kph, that is their loss and my gain. If they are only moving at 20kph on their congested lanes 2/3, I'm not going to slow down to 15kph on my free flowing lane 1 so as not to "undertake" them.

When we only had 2 lanes, we were all stuck in stationary or 10kph lanes during peak times (my usage of the M7 is nearly always only on Friday and Sunday/bank holiday Monday evenings so always encountered that painful gridlock between Naas and M9 junction) so saying a 3rd lane is of no use is a bit of an exaggeration.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

ongarboy wrote: »
    While I'd prefer if all motorists exercised correct lane discipline, I'm not as put out as others seem to be here if some motorists hog lane's 2 and 3 while lane 1 is left clear and relatively unused. If I can cruise within the speed limit in lane 1 while traffic in lanes 2/3 are only going at 40kph, that is their loss and my gain. If they are only moving at 20kph on their congested lanes 2/3, I'm not going to slow down to 15kph on my free flowing lane 1 so as not to "undertake" them.

When we only had 2 lanes, we were all stuck in stationary or 10kph lanes during peak times (my usage of the M7 is nearly always only on Friday and Sunday/bank holiday Monday evenings so always encountered that painful gridlock between Naas and M9 junction) so saying a 3rd lane is of no use is a bit of an exaggeration.

It's tecnically an offence that you're committing, by doimg such; because of the lane hoggers committing another offence; hogging lanes. Of course, that isn't enforced, and neither, does it seem, is people being forced to undertake.

Maybe if Gardai start enforcing the law correctly, then all of this incorrect driving behaviour can end?

Ever the optimist, me...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

It's tecnically an offence that you're committing, by doimg such; because of the lane hoggers committing another offence; hogging lanes. Of course, that isn't enforced, and neither, does it seem, is people being forced to undertake.

Maybe if Gardai start enforcing the law correctly, then all of this incorrect driving behaviour can end?

Ever the optimist, me...

Once he doesn't change lane to undertake the hogs it's not an offense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 eugyoung

Please could somebody put up a picture I live through you guys over there as I'm in London

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Darc19 wrote: »
    Frankly I'm not concerned about lane behavior. The left lane will be used by mainly trucks and those exiting at the junctions. And whilst lane behavior is very good in the uk, it's poor in many countries and difficult to change it in any meaningful way.

Therefore, I simply ignore it and don't let it upset me.

What are You on about? You write the rules of the road to suit Yourself? You just adopt that obnoxious and illegal attitude of 'simply ignoring it'? There was another 'contributor' on here last year saying ( basically) it's ok to ignore the 60 kph ( He/She seems to have disappeared of late...ceiling fly was his/her name) and 13,700 drivers adopted his/her attitude and are each down €80 & 3 points in the red.

I used to drive trucks across Europe and I can guarantee You that you wouldn't last 5 minutes on most of the Mways there...so it's not poor as You claim. I will agree Italy can be also not the best, but other western countries?

Really people should not come on here and write the Rules as they see it. For me, 60kph is the limit, and all should be in the inner most lane. If there are speed merchants who want to go faster and risk being trapped, that's their problem, not for someone hogging either the middle or outside lane to police.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

What are You on about? You write the rules of the road to suit Yourself? You just adopt that obnoxious and illegal attitude of 'simply ignoring it'? There was another 'contributor' on here last year saying ( basically) it's ok to ignore the 60 kph ( He/She seems to have disappeared of late...ceiling fly was his/her name) and 13,700 drivers adopted his/her attitude and are each down €80 & 3 points in the red.

I used to drive trucks across Europe and I can guarantee You that you wouldn't last 5 minutes on most of the Mways there...so it's not poor as You claim. I will agree Italy can be also not the best, but other western countries?

Really people should not come on here and write the Rules as they see it. For me, 60kph is the limit, and all should be in the inner most lane. If there are speed merchants who want to go faster and risk being trapped, that's their problem, not for someone hogging either the middle or outside lane to police.

Did you read what I wrote?

I said I ignore it. I'm not a member of the Garda, I have no juristicion on other motorists.

I drive well and whilst I only do about 30,000km a year these days, I have previously done excess 100k a year.

I learnt a long long time ago that how other motorists drive is not my business.

Somehow I just can't find any sense in your statement that my not being bothered by someone elses bad driving is illegal?

I just can't remember ever seeing anything that would compel me as a motorist to intervene in how another motorist drives.

Please do reply and let me know of this new legal requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

This thread is about the upgrade project folks. This seems to have been forgotten in the last few pages. Driver behavior, rules of the road and comments on lane usage are not relevant here.

Mods?

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

BuzzFish wrote: »
    This thread is about the upgrade project folks. This seems to have been forgotten in the last few pages. Driver behavior, rules of the road and comments on lane usage are not relevant here.

Mods?

While I don’t want to see silly arguments either ,
    I would argue that Lane usage is fairly relevant seeing as that getting an extra lane was the main objective of the upgrade . So how his extra lane is now operating is kinda important

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Tarmac, white lines, diggers, etc, etc.

Sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Eoghanj

Great to see the three lanes open and traffic moving a lot better this week. should be a great improvement when finished.

A bit disappointing to see a pothole has already appeared - eastbound middle lane before Naas north. How can there be a pothole in the middle of the road already?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Eoghanj wrote: »
    Great to see the three lanes open and traffic moving a lot better this week. should be a great improvement when finished.

A bit disappointing to see a pothole has already appeared - eastbound middle lane before Naas north. How can there be a pothole in the middle of the road already?
    That’s not good , hope they haven’t cut corners with the pressure to have it opened sooner rather than later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

harr wrote: »
    That’s not good , hope they haven’t cut corners with the pressure to have it opened sooner rather than later.

There's probably a certain amount of trial and error with such a big project.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

... How can there be a pothole in the middle of the road already?

Stipulated in the contract, being Ireland and that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

BuzzFish wrote: »

Mods?

Mod: If you have problems with a post - Report it. Mods cannot be expected to read every post in every thread.

If you do not report a post, do not then resort to backseat mdding.

Probably an error when laying the topcoat, they'll fix it as part of the snagging.
    Same thing happened in Athlone last night, a section of road was resurfaced Tuesday night, a 100m section ripped up again Wesnesday night.
    I expext it will be relaid tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Ok just used new 3 lanes this evening for first time. It seems motorists coming off Naas South merging Lane east bound are treating the new inside lane as if it's somehow a merging lane only and all had their indicators on to "merge" into the middle lane, even slowing down until they could change into the middle lane instead of continuing on seamlessly on the uninterrupted inner lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Ok just used new 3 lanes this evening for first time. It seems motorists coming off Naas South merging Lane east bound are treating the new inside lane as if it's somehow a merging lane only and all had their indicators on to "merge" into the middle lane, even slowing down until they could change into the middle lane instead of continuing on seamlessly on the uninterrupted inner lane.

Seemingly that’s not an issue though. Beats me why.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Quiet impressed with how quickly the serface water was clearing from the new 3 lane that has been open.
    The tarmac on the existing 3 lanes seems to hold surface water longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Probably an error when laying the topcoat, they'll fix it as part of the snagging.
    Same thing happened in Athlone last night, a section of road was resurfaced Tuesday night, a 100m section ripped up again Wesnesday night.
    I expext it will be relaid tonight.

Can often be a very simple one on a brand new road....
    A coke can dropped ahead of the paver.
    Happens A LOT.

I'd sack a guy if I saw it but can attest to 3 or 4 potholes on jobs down the years as a result

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tomrota

Have you never driven on the N7? It’s literally the status quo behaviour and people seem to think speed is the biggest problem. Not using a motorway properly is just as dangerous as speeding or not using a roundabout properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

3 lanes open on both sides now between exits 9 and 10. And the speed limit is now 80kmh

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Any word on when the southbound lanes will open up?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Any word on when the southbound lanes will open up?

Its open on both sides between junction 9 and 10.

3 lanes open on both sides now between exits 9 and 10. And the speed limit is now 80kmh

I envision this being a disaster this evening getting close to junction 10 southbound/westbound as cars travelling at 80 have to go from 3 lanes to 2 but it is progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

I envision this being a disaster this evening getting close to junction 10 southbound/westbound as cars travelling at 80 have to go from 3 lanes to 2 but it is progress.

It be the same as before the road works started at the ball in naas it went from 3 to 2 lanes

benny79 wrote: »
    It be the same as before the road works started at the ball in naas it went from 3 to 2 lanes

Yeah, I guess so just further down the road with cars moving 20 km faster. Hopefully it won't be as bad as people who are getting off at Junction 10 will keep left and leave a bit more space.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭soundman45

But the muppets that used come off at exit 9 for a spin around the ball to then re-enter the M7 wont have that option down at J10 as its a horrible junction as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

Yeah, I guess so just further down the road with cars moving 20 km faster. Hopefully it won't be as bad as people who are getting off at Junction 10 will keep left and leave a bit more space.

Actually it used to be 20kmh faster.
    Before the roadworks, the N7 was 3 lanes with a speed limit og 100kmh, going on to M7 with 2 lanes and a speed limit of 120kmh.
    It is now 100kmh on N7, reducing to the temporary speeds 80kmh at Junction 9 (with 3 lanes) and down to 60kmh at junction 10 (with 2 lanes)

Actually it used to be 20kmh faster.
    Before the roadworks, the N7 was 3 lanes with a speed limit og 100kmh, going on to M7 with 2 lanes and a speed limit of 120kmh.
    It is now 100kmh on N7, reducing to the temporary speeds 80kmh at Junction 9 (with 3 lanes) and down to 60kmh at junction 10 (with 2 lanes)

Oh yeah, I meant 20 faster than the 60 restriction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

I know it was expected and will be this way until fully open but:
    M7 southbound (west) 3 lanes are jammers from just after j9
    One of problems is the lead up to J10, inside lane is for exiting at J10 so lot of traffic trying to get back into middle lane.
    (Suppose similar to old J9 just pushed further down the road so to speak..)

Advertisement