Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If the Green Party got into government are they mad

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Animal farming should be taxed to fund increased incentives to convert agricultural land to forest

Bread made from tree bark kept people alive in times of need. I am not an expert but surely if a country is better suited to growing food, be it walking protein or growing crops, it would make better sense to allow for that, than trying to grow food in a region where its more difficult, intermittent rainfall or unsuitable soil.

I see no harm in tree's but if we can grow crops etc, and let's say a arid country plant shrubs trees suited to that climate, we export to them and save them the expense of trying to irrigate their crops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Nobelium wrote: »
    and yet you haven't been able to contradict them with a single fact

Why would I contradict them?

You are making stuff up to suit a narrative, how can anyone contradict posts which have no truth or fact in them, I post a reply and you just make more even bigger lies...

There's a lot that can be done if there were a willingness:
    - Referendum to exclude public transport infrastructure and procurement from ordinary planning and procurement guidelines.
    - Law to for agricultural land holdings to have a minimum % of tree cover
    - Law to force companies to accept working from home for office workers if worker lives greater than X miles or commutes greater than X minutes to work (relies on NBP)
    - Invest in spirit of Ireland initiative.
    - Every national road upgrade requires an adjacent and separated cycle path to be included.

National road would be better to put in a train track beside each road

A good few villages are now opening working zones, kells has one, so people can go to location and work. Might be better alternative to work from home!!! Also keeps the village alive

Why would you take transport off procurement? It would open the door to huge overspend on projects....the return we get on investment projects led by the government is poor....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'd love to know how the greens and the youngsters out on these marches suggest we heat ourselves during the winter?

If they have a solution, I'd love to hear it.

Or how they are going to get everyone jobs beside or near where they live, so they can cut out people commuting?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

NIMAN wrote:

These are significant problems that need to be addressed, I'm not sure we know what to do yet, but they still need to be addressed, I personally think nuclear is gonna have to be introduced into the equation, eventually

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'd love to know how the greens and the youngsters out on these marches suggest we heat ourselves during the winter?

Or how they are going to get everyone jobs beside or near where they live, so they can cut out people commuting?

People want Dublin wages but live in middle of no where, this was discussed before, companies move out of Dublin to reduce wages and people won’t work for them....they would prefer to spend most of their lives sitting in a car for what they believe is a few extra quid when in reality it is costing them more.....

Heating in winter, well loads of options, retro fit is the main concern here....as already said small upgrade to insulation can have massive affect, the current SEAI scheme is not fit for purpose as it is just to fill the contractors boots....

really If the government was any good, they would have worked out the max fines 3-4 years ago, presented that to Irish people and said they could tax us in 2020 and waste the money or tax us now and invest the money into renovations to house, hybrid heat pumps etc....the fines are dead money as we can’t use it....better paying taxes and you see the benefits to community

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    People want Dublin wages but live in middle of no where, this was discussed before, companies move out of Dublin to reduce wages and people won’t work for them....they would prefer to spend most of their lives sitting in a car for what they believe is a few extra quid when in reality it is costing them more.....

Heating in winter, well loads of options, retro fit is the main concern here....as already said small upgrade to insulation can have massive affect, the current SEAI scheme is not fit for purpose as it is just to fill the contractors boots....

really If the government was any good, they would have worked out the max fines 3-4 years ago, presented that to Irish people and said they could tax us in 2020 and waste the money or tax us now and invest the money into renovations to house, hybrid heat pumps etc....the fines are dead money as we can’t use it....better paying taxes and you see the benefits to community

Taxes don't benefit the community though, we don't reinvest our taxes correctly.

People want a rail line beside each road, great who is going to pay for it, as we don't have the population to keep it running.

Country is getting carried away on the green side now, its our usual over reaction and the government see it as a way to raise taxes. If we want to start making changes why not start properly, a proper plan with a long term view that won't penalize the people of Ireland.

Maybe provide a proper cycling infrastructure, give more grants to the sports of Ireland, put cycle lanes in around schools and ban cars from a within a mile or 2 of the schools.

Maybe sort the housing crisis, hence not as many people living in hotels.

Block cars from entering the city, great idea, but need a transport system first. We are years from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Nobelium wrote: »
    The green party are proven liars, and had their chance

This attitude leaves you the option of voting for who exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Maybe provide a proper cycling infrastructure, give more grants to the sports of Ireland, put cycle lanes in around schools and ban cars from a within a mile or 2 of the schools.
    Good luck with getting a 5-7 year old to walk 2 miles!

-Law to force companies to accept working from home for office workers if worker lives greater than X miles or commutes greater than X minutes to work (relies on NBP)

That will only increase rural sprawl. I cycle to work. Me working at home is most likely uses more carbon as I've to heat an entire house.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    Good luck with getting a 5-7 year old to walk 2 miles!

If you're child can't walk that sort of distance they are going to have serious health problems in the future.

Block cars from entering the city, great idea, but need a transport system first. We are years from this.

We need to block the cars to build the system. The reason we don't have a system is cars are in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Working from home is "cart before the horse" if the disastrous National Broadband Plan is not sorted.

Working from home is fantasy land stuff and is spun out to suit certain agendas. It just suits a small fraction of the workforce.

Taxes don't benefit the community though, we don't reinvest our taxes correctly.

People want a rail line beside each road, great who is going to pay for it, as we don't have the population to keep it running.

Country is getting carried away on the green side now, its our usual over reaction and the government see it as a way to raise taxes. If we want to start making changes why not start properly, a proper plan with a long term view that won't penalize the people of Ireland.

Maybe sort the housing crisis, hence not as many people living in hotels.

A lot of problems and no answers.....

The rail lines along the road would make sense, the roads already are costing billions so the cost to lay a rail beside it would be minimal. Rail is a lot better than bus/car for getting into cities. They build a rail station at the M3 parkway, everyone said nobody would use, during the week it is packed...they run a reduced service at weekend......makes sense....over 5 millions people in Ireland, howmany in cars going into Dublin from every direction each day, how many on bus eirean, more than enough to run a rail system

Cycle ways are a waste of money unless they are off roads and provide a link from one town to another.....towns have wasted millions running a cycle way around villages and end up with nobody in them. Kids cant use as car driving beside them.

Local politician came up with it for our village, everyone told her waste of money, when I asked if the cycleway would link our village with the next one up which then has a link into Dublin, so you could cycle the whole way up to Dublin I just got a blank look.

My kids school already bans cars, you can park outside village and then walk down to school.

How many houses in villages around the country are empty and people wont move to them as no links to Dublin, stick in a train and they have direct link. Ireland doesn't have a housing crisis, it has a housing location issue.

If you're child can't walk that sort of distance they are going to have serious health problems in the future.
    At 8:30 in the morning many of them are kids like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,057 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

jcd5971 wrote: »
    A diesel is the most cost efficient method to do this so that's what I do, and its not a fancy hybrid it's an old dirty smoky diesel.

An electric vehicle is the most cost effective method to do that I would have thought?

Also your old dirty smokey diesel certainly wont get more cost effective when they tax the arse out of it.

National road would be better to put in a train track beside each road

A good few villages are now opening working zones, kells has one, so people can go to location and work. Might be better alternative to work from home!!! Also keeps the village alive

Why would you take transport off procurement? It would open the door to huge overspend on projects....the return we get on investment projects led by the government is poor....
    Working remotely is not always an option for everyone. Getting what we already use working better is. That in may cases means bus services.
    Rail track maintenance is the most component of rail travel BTW and that's before you even look at the viability.

At 8:30 in the morning many of them are kids like that!

They are only kids 'like that' because their parents drive them. When I was younger (which wasn't that long along) nearly everyone walked, cycled or got the bus.

Working remotely is not always an option for everyone. Getting what we already use working better is. That in may cases means bus services.
    Rail track maintenance is the most component of rail travel BTW and that's before you even look at the viability.

I am aware working remotely is not an option.

Swapping everyone to electric cars so they can drive them everyday to work is not the answer, mass migration onto public transport if the option.

Rail is one of the best method, shown all over the World. If enough people are using the train then the cost of maintenance can be covered in the tickets.....having a rail system which is limited and doesn't connect large sections of Ireland is idiotic.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

GreeBo wrote: »

An electric vehicle is the most cost effective method to do that I would have thought?

Also your old dirty smokey diesel certainly wont get more cost effective when they tax the arse out of it.

Only if you can stump up the cost of an EV.

And, unlike Ryan, Martin and their fellow Green middle-class poseurs, the vast majority of real world dwellers can't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Macha wrote: »
    Go look up the biggest companies in the world and come back to me.

https://fxssi.com/top-10-most-valuable-companies-in-the-world

Not an oil company between them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

This attitude leaves you the option of voting for who exactly?

The party that one considers most capable of running the country in a sensible manner.

Sadly, that sure as heck isn't the Greens - they had their chance and blew it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,095 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

What did the Government do with the money generated by the last carbon tax and also the plastic bag tax?
    Keep it is my guess.

All taxes collected are spent.

The Govt does not "keep", it does not run a surplus.

Indeed, until this year, it has run a deficit, and borrowed.

The party that one considers most capable of running the country in a sensible manner.

Sadly, that sure as heck isn't the Greens - they had their chance and blew it.

So not the Greens, FF, FG, Labour, Soc Dems or the current independents in government.

That leaves SF who've done the same in Northern Ireland.

So you're left with PBP or I4C right?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

What is the carbon per person?

I think you can agree a few more people live in China?

Either the term global warming has meaning or it doesn't.

Even if we reduce our emissions by 90% it would have no global impact. It would be like Ireland trying to save the coral reefs or the rainforests.

The argument could be 'lead by example' but I haven't actually heard that being said! But even were it said, I don't see why other countries would pay it much notice.

I think the only meaningful way that Ireland could reduce carbon emissions would be to be more choosey about who we accept imports from, but this would have significant repercussions on our standard of living. This is because our cheap products are typically manufactured in countries which don't give two hoots about reducing carbon emissions, but instead maximizing output, and reducing costs in order to be competitive.

There are local pollution issues which Ireland can tackle, but let's not pretend that putting introducing an additional carbon tax is going to do anything to save the planet.

I am aware working remotely is not an option.

Swapping everyone to electric cars so they can drive them everyday to work is not the answer, mass migration onto public transport if the option.

Rail is one of the best method, shown all over the World. If enough people are using the train then the cost of maintenance can be covered in the tickets.....having a rail system which is limited and doesn't connect large sections of Ireland is idiotic.....
    In our case urban bus will have to be the preferred approach on account of our population distribution. Rail too requires a population density and usage we just don't have. Outside the suburban coverage about two lines are viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

cutelad wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone fear the green party getting into power. The likelyhood they will want us all stop burning turf stop driving and get buses and tax the hilt out of us. All grand but they are a Dublin party and no clue of the country folk. I drive 40 miles each way to work and really only way to get there.
    I am a member of the Green Party. I live in the West of Ireland. I commute 35Km each way by car and at the moment that's the only option. But I hope that someday SOON I could drive 20km and then change to a park and ride service/local rail/tram service.
    I currently burn timber and oil for heating but want to change to a air or ground source heat pump. That's expensive but maybe the grant will improve. I don't want to burn fossil fuels like oil and turf anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

The argument could be 'lead by example' but I haven't actually heard that being said! But even were it said, I don't see why other countries would pay it much notice.

The Citizens Assembly has asked that Ireland become a leader in tackling Climate Change.

https://www.citizensassembly.ie/en/How-the-State-can-make-Ireland-a-leader-in-tackling-climate-change/Recommendations/

Either the term global warming has meaning or it doesn't.

Even if we reduce our emissions by 90% it would have no global impact. It would be like Ireland trying to save the coral reefs or the rainforests.

I think the only meaningful way that Ireland could reduce carbon emissions would be to be more choosey about who we accept imports from, but this would have significant repercussions on our standard of living. This is because our cheap products are typically manufactured in countries which don't give two hoots about reducing carbon emissions, but instead maximizing output, and reducing costs in order to be competitive.

There are local pollution issues which Ireland can tackle, but let's not pretend that putting introducing an additional carbon tax is going to do anything to save the planet.

If we go below our carbon requirements we can then sell our carbon credit to other countries. In that case we can name our price

I did mention before that Ireland has the chance to lead the World in renewable, we just can't get off our ass to do it.

We have plenty of waves and wind which could power a huge amount of the grid. Even solar would provide a massive percentage during the day. We have home grown companies who are doing this in every other country in the World.

But the big one is carbon credits, you could head off into Europe and sell them off, pay off some of the national debt.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

That's why I put relies on NBP in brackets. Still even with the way it is at the moment there is a significant part of the rural commuter belts getting fiber power broadband with EIR. Some of these people could be taken off the road.

Working from home is a good thing on a certain basis, but no way can it be 5 days a week

Advertisement