Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

I don't think they do the grope and cough lol

The funny thing is most people still assume that that exam is to do with a person's ****s.
    It's actually to make sure you dont have a hernia where the intestine enters the sack lol.
    Just a wee PSA lmao.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Remember the police are not DDA exempt and so have to consider a reasonable adjustment if you have a condition that it covered by DDA

Remember the police are not DDA exempt and so have to consider a reasonable adjustment if you have a condition that it covered by DDA

I actually thought about that before. Last year a US police dept was the first to have double leg amputee join. During an Interview he said he
    "was luckier than the other officers because atleast during long shift his legs wouldn't get tired."
    Lmao what an amazingly positive attitude to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

NiK9 wrote: »
    So what exactly happens at the medical. Obviously height, weight,eyesight and hearing are tested aswell at talking through past injuries and drugs test.

But what else do you have to do? Basic movement tests such as lunges or squating? Moving body parts in certain ways to see range of movement? Anything out of the ordinary?

Basically all that plus a lung capacity test and a urine sample.

Depending on what's in your form you might see the doctor too.

Homer01 wrote: »
    So what exactly happens at the medical. Obviously height, weight,eyesight and hearing are tested aswell at talking through past injuries and drugs test.

But what else do you have to do? Basic movement tests such as lunges or squating? Moving body parts in certain ways to see range of movement? Anything out of the ordinary?

Brilliant, thanks Homer. Hope you're still enjoying GV.

• Advertisement

Living the dream :D

It's been tough but equally rewarding.

That Lung Function Test tubey thing?

Yea the thing that looks like a giant vape that you blow instead of suck. Lmao

Yea the thing that looks like a giant vape that you blow instead of suck. Lmao

Smokers no smokey before medical

That's the one. Spirometer I think it's called.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 tatiebeans27

Hi everyone :) first time poster, long time lurker!! Just wondered if anyone's had to do a medical review after appeal or what happens at one? I failed my medical a few weeks ago for a really minor injury I'd done myself and was told I could be reconsidered in another couple of weeks. Now I'm going to an upcoming medical review at the same place and just wondered what's in store for me! I've passed everything else and am quite high on m/l so I just can't wait to have everything finally ticked off and be waiting for the call! :unsure:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Ive never been that far unfortunately. Was it a recent injury or is it a recurring one. If its a recent injury I reckon you will be fine, if its recurring they might want to investigate it further, either by carrying out tests in an attempt to aggravate it or maybe it will be just questions. Hopefully someone on here who has been that far will come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mike079

Can anyone help a brotha out with a question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Thebigwait

Hi all , does anyone have any ideas or experience in appealing a medical for hearing?

Is it better to e.g. Get a 2 nd opinion from a consultant that would be more accurate and possibly overturn the original finding or is there certain hearing aids that can be used, struggling to find solid information and ANY help would be appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭YNWA27

Thebigwait wrote: »
    Hi all , does anyone have any ideas or experience in appealing a medical for hearing?

Is it better to e.g. Get a 2 nd opinion from a consultant that would be more accurate and possibly overturn the original finding or is there certain hearing aids that can be used, struggling to find solid information and ANY help would be appreciated

What exactly did you fail on?

YNWA27 wrote: »
    What exactly did you fail on?

Hi, it didnt say specifically apart from being outside the range, I believe its minor loss , a bit more on the left side

Thanks for asking by the way

I've been trying yo research like mad tryin to find a clear path of appeal and I always thought my hearing was good

Hi, it didnt say specifically apart from being outside the range, I believe its minor loss , a bit more on the left side

Thanks for asking by the way

I've been trying yo research like mad tryin to find a clear path of appeal and I always thought my hearing was good

There will have been information on Appealing in the medical fail letter.

It will be down to practicalities of the job rather than just the hearing.

Hearing aids may obstruct helmets and radio ear pieces.

Basically you will need a medical professional, ideally an audiologist to identify appropriate reasonable adjustments and explain in plain simple language that you CAN do ALL the duties of a constable.

Thanks,its says on website

When one ear is affected or when aids may overcome the difficulty, further assessment by PSNI’s medical team will be required to identify possible adjustments.

So its trying to see how to marry what they are saying here with the opinion of a medical professional to show I'm capable basically , just trying to get some clarity on what aids would be acceptable and adjustment s they have in mind if required

Thanks,its says on website

When one ear is affected or when aids may overcome the difficulty, further assessment by PSNI’s medical team will be required to identify possible adjustments.

So its trying to see how to marry what they are saying here with the opinion of a medical professional to show I'm capable basically , just trying to get some clarity on what aids would be acceptable and adjustment s they have in mind if required

Ring 101 and ask to speak to Occupational Health?

I'm hoping to hear back next week

• Advertisement

Is there a straight forward list somewhere , that I could show to a consultant and ask for confirmation that i'm capable of performing these tasks? I've downloaded some stuff about the "police and professional framework" but it doesn't seem to mention anything about equipment etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6 staffielover

Posting to see if anyone who has already done the medical can help.

I am short sighted. Have just had my eyes tested today and my optician has advised that the requirement of unaided acuity 6/36 vision is not going to be met by myself.

Has anyone with short sight experienced this problem or fail the medical due to this?

Any reply/ advice would be greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sun1710

Medical requirements for sight are Strictly adhered to .
    In previous posts It appears quite a few people have laser eye surgery prior to having their medical.
    Good luck for future stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 PSNIhopeful1

Hey folks; I had a quick question and was hoping someone could help.

I applied in the 1710 campaign and passed everything apart from the medical. I failed the medical because of a few bouts of depression and some minor self harm in my late teens (I'm now 22, almost 23). I was on medication and had some counselling, I've completely recovered. I didn't apply for the 1810 campaign because I was afraid of this happening again.

I want to apply again this year if they decide to recruit again. I estimate that by the time the medical comes around (my guess is that it will begin in October as it usually does) I'll be 3 years clear of any symptoms and off medication for about 3 & 1/2 years. I can also provide statements and mental health evaluations from 2 different counsellors.

My question is; Will I be able to pass the medical, all this considered?

I understand that self harm is worrying for Occupational Health as the PSNI are expected to carry firearms, but I'm completely healthy again, can provide evidence of this and have been symptom free for almost 3 years. (I also haven't self harmed for almost 5 years).

Thanks to anyone that can provide any sort of opinion or information.

I think they need 5 years bud

• Registered Users Posts: 42 PSNIhopeful1

I think they need 5 years bud

I'm not sure, I had a friend who had anxiety and recently was accepted. He actually passed his medical only having like 1 year and 9 months since coming off his medication.

I understand that I'm different considering the self harm, but 5 years is a bit excessive, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ctaylorf

I'm not sure, I had a friend who had anxiety and recently was accepted. He actually passed his medical only having like 1 year and 9 months since coming off his medication.

I understand that I'm different considering the self harm, but 5 years is a bit excessive, isn't it?

I would try not to worry too much at this stage. I don’t think there is a set time as such. There are guidelines that you have to be off meds for a certain period of time but every case is so different e.g. one person’s depression might be severe and another mild and they can’t put everyone in the same box. If I were you I’d focus on your PCA and worry about the medical when the time comes, and by the time that comes round you could be another 6 months without meds etc which will be in your favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Army654

I think reading through this forum doesn't help the nerves, I've never had any problems with my hearing but I've noticed I some Tinnitus, I'm now freaking out about my medical!

Army654 wrote: »
    I think reading through this forum doesn't help the nerves, I've never had any problems with my hearing but I've noticed I some Tinnitus, I'm now freaking out about my medical!

In the booth, if in doubt click.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Army654

In the booth, if in doubt click.

haha! Yes I definitely will !

Advertisement