Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you taking part in any LGBTQ events for pride month?

Options

Comments

I'm not talking about gawking. i'm talking about abuse.

You have that right.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,308 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

You have that right.

what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Calhoun wrote: »
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/cops-marching-in-pride-is-not-a-sign-of-progress-founding-member-of-dublin-pride-backs-alternative-event-930569.html

It would seem that some in the LGBT community don't consider it a celebration of equal rights where straight people can be the minority.

Reminds me of the Trans article complaining male to female weren't included in the conversation on the 8th referendum.

Be interesting to see how much of the LGBT community support this alternative parade.

You got all that backwards, there is no discrimination against straight people in Pride. Straight people have participated in Pride since it started years ago!

What article about Trans?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

the right to walk down the street holding hands with another man without fear of abuse or worse. that would be nice.

See this is the kind of thing I'm getting at.

You have that right. Some people might be dicks about it, but that's not the same thing as not having the right to do it. There's so much melodrama, it's infuriatingly stereotypical and really does your "cause" no favours whatsoever.

You could turn pride month into pride year and hold events every hour on the hour and still some people would be dicks. Reality check - some people are dicks!

Actually come to think of it, it would make nice ironic soundbite for the news if you could get a big group of gay men chanting "What do we want"? "A world without dicks":D

You have that right. Some people might be dicks about it, but that's not the same thing as not having the right to do it. There's so much melodrama, it's infuriatingly stereotypical and really does your "cause" no favours whatsoever.

You could turn pride month into pride year and hold events every hour on the hour and still some people would be dicks. Reality check - some people are dicks!

Actually come to think of it, it would make nice ironic soundbite for the news if you could get a big group of gay men chanting "What do we want"? "A world without dicks":D

So being afraid of getting abuse is now being melodramatic? Tell me something, when was the last time you were afraid of being attacked because of your sexuality? I'll give you a clue, it was never. This is just typical of your posts on this thread. All coming from a position of hate and dismissal. I really dont understand how this homophobia is allowed on boards. We even had a poster yesterday call us queers and nothing was done by the mods despite 2 reports.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I think 'there's always going to be dickheads' argument is trite and facile and is being used to paper over a lot here. It's still unusual enough to see gay couples holding hands walking down the road, especially outside of large urban centres. I think a lot of that is out of fear, which isn't a great place to be at. I'll be honest, in my hometown if I saw two guys holding hands, I'd do a double take - not out of anything but mild surprise because it would be so unusual to see around here. I'd also be worried that someone would start hassling them. It would be nice to see it get to the point where all this is normalised and no one passes any remarks but there is still a fair bit to go, I think.

I've heard people give out that gay people kissing in public is 'rubbing our faces in it'. It's not something you're ever going to hear about fat people or ginger people or any other group really. It seems strange that some people in Ireland almost expected gay people to start dressing in grey sackcloth and not talking anymore about themselves or their experiences. Pride is a chance for some people to express themselves and feel connected to something larger. I can't really see the issue with it besides maybe the slightly cynical bandwagoning by corporations to gain some kudos. As a straight person, it has zero impact on my life if I choose to ignore or not partake it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭FaxingBerlin

So being afraid of getting abuse is now being melodramatic? Tell me something, when was the last time you were afraid of being attacked because of your sexuality? I'll give you a clue, it was never. This is just typical of your posts on this thread. All coming from a position of hate and dismissal. I really dont understand how this homophobia is allowed on boards. We even had a poster yesterday call us queers and nothing was done by the mods despite 2 reports.

But you are a queer? Or are you not?
    I thought queer was an acceptable description of gay folk? Or is it one of those words only gays can use like black ppl referring to each other as n*****s

But you are a queer? Or are you not?
    I thought queer was an acceptable description of gay folk? Or is it one of those words only gays can use like black ppl referring to each other as n*****s

if you called me a queer to my face i would punch you. so no, its not acceptable.

if you called me a queer to my face i would punch you. so no, its not acceptable.

****in hell. That's a bit much. Punching people over name calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Calhoun wrote: »
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/cops-marching-in-pride-is-not-a-sign-of-progress-founding-member-of-dublin-pride-backs-alternative-event-930569.html

It would seem that some in the LGBT community don't consider it a celebration of equal rights where straight people can be the minority.

Reminds me of the Trans article complaining male to female weren't included in the conversation on the 8th referendum.

Be interesting to see how much of the LGBT community support this alternative parade.

“The police continue to target LGBTQ+ people, sex workers, migrant and other ethnic minority people in Ireland today.

I want to live in the Ireland liberals believe we live in.

• Advertisement

No, saying you haven't got a right is melodramatic.

Tell me something, when we're you last told your opinion didn't matter because of your sexuality? I'll give you a clue, not recently. People would be terrified to say it and it would be prejudiced.

The Q in LGBTQ stands for queer. You might find it offensive but when other people describe themselves and they are gay, you can see why there may be confusion.

That would be an unacceptable response to name-calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

SO being afraid of getting abuse is now being melodramatic? Tell me something, when was the last time you were afraid of being attacked because of your sexuality? I'll give you a clue, it was never. This is just typical of your posts on this thread. All coming from a position of hate and dismissal. I really dont understand how this homophobia is allowed on boards.

More melodrama!

I have never been afraid of being attacked because of sexuality. I have feared and even been attacked for other "reasons" though, it's just a shítty fact of life sometimes. Arseholes will invent a reason, you'll be too tall, too short, too foreign, too fat, too skinny, too gay - the "reason" is bullshít, it's an excuse, nothing else. As I already said I was physically attacked outside my parents house "for being bald" - you don't see me calling for a bald pride month do you, or bemoaning baldophobia. I just sucked it up under the "some people are arseholes" rule.

The exact same laws that are there to protect me, are also there to protect you, you are not oppressed or singled out, we are treated exactly the same, you need to drop the victim mentality.

Ireland has got to be right up there with the most accepting country in the entire world for gay people (I honestly don't know a single person who has any issue with gay people, not one single person) and still some of you claim you're oppressed. You think I am homophobic ffs - That's melodrama.

If you think you're a victim, you will become a victim!

My posts are in no way coming from a position of hate. Just because I don't agree with every word you say doesn't mean I hate you, or I'm homophobic - That's just more melodrama.

“The police continue to target LGBTQ+ people, sex workers, migrant and other ethnic minority people in Ireland today.

I want to live in the Ireland liberals believe we live in.

So you want to live in a world where gay and trans people, immigrants and ethnic minorities get purposefully targeted by the police? You sound like a delightful chap...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Considering only something like 5-6% of the population belong to the LGBT community, it’s surely one of the most over-inflated topics over the past 4-5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

So you want to live in a world where gay and trans people, immigrants and ethnic minorities get purposefully targeted by the police? You sound like a delightful chap...

Glad you at least agree all crap about persecution only exists in certain people's heads.

More melodrama!

I have never been afraid of being attacked because of sexuality. I have feared and even been attacked for other "reasons" though, it's just a shítty fact of life sometimes. Arseholes will invent a reason, you'll be too tall, too short, too foreign, too fat, too skinny, too gay - the "reason" is bullshít, it's an excuse, nothing else. As I already said I was physically attacked outside my parents house "for being bald" - you don't see me calling for a bald pride month do you, or bemoaning baldophobia. I just sucked it up under the "some people are arseholes" rule.

The exact same laws that are there to protect me, are also there to protect you, you are not oppressed or singled out, we are treated exactly the same, you need to drop the victim mentality.

Ireland has got to be right up there with the most accepting country in the entire world for gay people (I honestly don't know a single person who has any issue with gay people, not one single person) and still some of you claim you're oppressed. You think I am homophobic ffs - That's melodrama.

If you think you're a victim, you will become a victim!

My posts are in no way coming from a position of hate. Just because I don't agree with every word you say doesn't mean I hate you, or I'm homophobic - That's just more melodrama.

and all of those other reasons also apply to me. You'e just continually doubling down. Its quite pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Der Stier

Genuine question for the LGBT community.

Do you think this is appropriate for kids to be attending

https://twitter.com/HaramHussy/status/1139266250251669504

I wouldn't want kids at a straight event that had men and women in S&M gear either, this is not homophobia, but these events seem to get away with it more - just look at the Amazing Desmond in the USA, 11yr old boy in drag being clapped as he dances like a stripper, imagine if it were an 11 year old girl ???

No, saying you haven't got a right is melodramatic.

Tell me something, when we're you last told your opinion didn't matter because of your sexuality? I'll give you a clue, not recently. People would be terrified to say it and it would be prejudiced.

The Q in LGBTQ stands for queer. You might find it offensive but when other people describe themselves and they are gay, you can see why there may be confusion.

That would be an unacceptable response to name-calling.

there is no confusion. If you, who i do not know, calls me queer i will punch you in the face. If somebody i know says it to me I probably wouldn't. As a parallel try going up to a black person and say "Hey N*gger" and let me know how you get on.

Noveight wrote: »
    Considering only something like 5-6% of the population belong to the LGBT community, it’s surely one of the most over-inflated topics over the past 4-5 years.

0.2 percent of the population is homeless as far as I can make out but we still hear about that most days. Should there be a cut-off percentage before we start talking about an issue. 10%? 15%?

there is no confusion. If you, who i do not know, calls me queer i will punch you in the face. If somebody i know says it to me I probably wouldn't. As a parallel try going up to a black person and say "Hey N*gger" and let me know how you get on.

Werent you one of the posters saying assault is an unreasonable response to having a milkshake poured over you (which is an assault in itself) but it's ok now to assault someone cause they hurt you with words? Bit hypocritical.

• Advertisement

Glad you at least agree all crap about persecution only exists in certain people's heads.

Doesn't really answer the question. Do you want to live in an Ireland that specifically targets those people?

Werent you one of the posters saying assault is an unreasonable response to having a milkshake poured over you (which is an assault in itself) but it's ok now to assault someone cause they hurt you with words? Bit hypocritical.

Sue me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Totally disproportionate, violent response. How is that in any way justifiable in response to, at worst, a relatively mild verbal insult from the sort of person who probably isn't worth bothering with anyway? :confused:

Sue me.

Great response that. You not gonna deny youre a hypocrite no? It's ok for gays to react with violence but no one else. Special treatment is it?

jimgoose wrote: »
    Totally disproportionate, violent response. How is that in any way justifiable in response to, at worst, a relatively mild verbal insult from the sort of person who probably isn't worth bothering with anyway? :confused:

I'm sure it is easy to think it is mild when you are not on the receiving end.

Great response that. You not gonna deny your a hypocrite no? It's ok for gays to react with violence but no one else. Special treatment is it?

I didn't say it was ok. I said i would do it and damn the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

Der Stier wrote: »

I wouldn't want kids at a straight event that had men and women in S&M gear either, this is not homophobia, but these events seem to get away with it more - just look at the Amazing Desmond in the USA, 11yr old boy in drag being clapped as he dances like a stripper, imagine if it were an 11 year old girl ???

Exactly I think parade's with this sort of expression in front of kid's is sickening.

I'm a gay man myself and a parent to a 22 year old lad and think a lot of this behaviour in public is very inappropriate.
    I only came out two years ago, it's no issue with himself or my family and friends.

You'll notice the sjw's and third wave feminists defend this type of tripe.

Kid's are not meant to be exposed to the dark world of fetishism and a memory like this will be burned into their memory.

Ok back in my day we had Michael Tierney in Ennis "Micky the Lady" he called himself.
    A harmless guy selling newspapers and just liked to dress as a lady.
    A lovely man, bless him....

Danny La Rue was harmless too, mum and dad just told us some men dress up for fun, that was innocent time's.

Not like today's infusion of lust, sexualisation and filth.....

Der Stier wrote: »

I didn't see anything beyond Drag Queens at the parade last year. I could have missed the guys in bondage gear but if there was any they were completely outnumbered in the region of thousands.

But, yeah. I wouldn't be having my kids walk behind those lads.

I didn't say it was ok. I said i would do it and damn the consequences.

Well that goes for everyone then, remember that next time youre on your high horse about someone getting a thump after being milkshaked or egged.

• Advertisement

Well that goes for everyone then, remember that next time your on your high horse about someone getting a thump after being milkshaked or egged.

if you are back to your hero tommy it wasn't just tommy that assaulted milkshake guy. Tommys goons had a go as well.

Advertisement