Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you taking part in any LGBTQ events for pride month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,320 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Nice deflection. Don't call me a drama queen. I find it offensive.

dont get overdramatic and it wont happen again.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Calling someone queer, gay, homo, fag, nigg@r, bitch, c#*t or any other term that either could be derogatory or definitely is derogatory, is bad form and you are either stupid and lacking in awareness, or you're a prick.

Punching someone for calling you one of things is also bad form. Only difference is that you don't have the option of just being stupid lacking awareness. You're simply a prick.

I've been called worse.

That's the thing, offense is a personal feeling, specific to the individual. So yeah, probably.

when a word has been used for a long time in a derogatory fashion dont be surprised when some might have an issue with it.

when a word has been used for a long time in a derogatory fashion dont be surprised when some might have an issue with it.

Ok. So.... If I'm talking to someone and they identify as queer, THEN am I ok to use it? What if they aren't there and I am talking about them?

Ok. So.... If I'm talking to someone and they identify as queer, THEN am I ok to use it? What if they aren't there and I am talking about them?

how about using their name? its a crazy idea but it just might work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,326 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Maybe ask them?

If they aren't there maybe call them by there name rather than referring to them as queer?

how about using their name? its a crazy idea but it just might work.

Really? So it's as if that persons sexuality isn't important and doesn't define them and they should be treated exactly the way I treat my straight friends? Especially in this day and age.

You could go so far as to think that a month long celebration of something that shouldn't even bother being mentioned in conversation seems a little unnecessary...

I agree.

Really? So it's as if that persons sexuality isn't important and doesn't define them and they should be treated exactly the way I treat my straight friends? Especially in this day and age.

You could go so far as to think that a month long celebration of something that shouldn't even bother being mentioned in conversation seems a little unnecessary...

I agree.

Jesus you really do have an issue with anything Pride related. Get over it.

Jesus you really do have an issue with anything Pride related. Get over it.

I'm in a pride related thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,285 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

No, I won't be doing anything or attending any events. I hope everyone that does enjoys them thoroughly though.

It mustn't sit right with a lot of the members of the pride (gay rights) movement that the day has essentially been completely corporatised and is used for some positive publicity by companies so they can tell us how inclusive they are. Of course many of these same diverse companies have toxic work cultures for gay and straight alike.

As an outsider it looks like it's lost its direction?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

How do you speak to your straight friends? Do you call them heteros & straights?

I'm struggling to come up with a scenario where it would be necessary to refer to or call someone a queer. I just call people by their names.

In what context does the requirement to use the word usually come up for you?

I'm in a pride related thread.

and you have a huge issue with the existence of pride along with others.

No, I won't be doing anything or attending any events. I hope everyone that does enjoys them thoroughly though.

It mustn't sit right with a lot of the members of the pride (gay rights) movement that the day has essentially been completely corporatised and is used for some positive publicity by companies so they can tell us how inclusive they are. Of course many of these same diverse companies have toxic work cultures for gay and straight alike.

As an outsider it looks like it's lost its direction?

there was a link on that topic posted last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

We got an email (Civil Servant) in work a while back to ask if we would to take part in Pride under a Civil Service banner. I think that is the first time that has happened. I never go to the parade and for the last few years I have not gone into town for the after party. Pubs are wedged, people sick and pissed drunk everywhere. It is getting like St Patrick's Day for the amount of teenagers staggering around the street from early evening.

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Actually I think most people at this stage don't have an issue with someone's sexuality at all - this is a very good thing and real progress.

What people DO have a problem with is having that sexuality shoved in their faces every 5 minutes and told that not only must the accept it, they must actively support and advocate for it.

I don't give a toss what 2 consenting adults do as long as it's legal and no-one gets hurt. But I see no reason at all why some need to tell the world about it every day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

If you were walking down the street with your girlfriend or boyfriend and holding hands someone shouted abuse at her/him or worse came up and hit her/him

What would you do?

Generally speaking it rarely happens to straight couples.
    If you’re gay you avoid even that small kind of contact with your other half in public so as to avoid it because it’s not just likely, it’s very probably going to happen.
    And if you asked the asshole, he’d probably echo a lot of what’s being said here
    ‘Yis got your marriage equality rights. No need to be shoving it in our faces’.

I’ve had this happen three different times.

What would you do?

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Actually I think most people at this stage don't have an issue with someone's sexuality at all - this is a very good thing and real progress.

What people DO have a problem with is having that sexuality shoved in their faces every 5 minutes and told that not only must the accept it, they must actively support and advocate for it.

I don't give a toss what 2 consenting adults do as long as it's legal and no-one gets hurt. But I see no reason at all why some need to tell the world about it every day.

who is shoving it in your face?

I literally didn’t even see that post before I posted mine just there.

There it is. Laid bare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

The amount of gay willies I get shoved in my face every five minutes is ridiculous. I mean, Jesus, you got marriage equality, what more do you want?!?!?!

• Advertisement

The amount of gay willies I get shoved in my face every five minutes is ridiculous. I mean, Jesus, you got marriage equality, what more do you want?!?!?!

you lucky bastard.

you lucky bastard.

It's terrible. I went to have lunch today and there was a gay willy in my soup. I got up to leave and I tripped up over a gay willy and when I went to got back to the office what was on my desk? A gay willy... Seriously lads.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,755 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Nope.

He probably doesn't have a problem with pride as a concept but the parade is a big no no as he's mentioned about 15 times (too sexualized, or some such nonsense).

Gheys: meh
    Pride: good
    Expressions of pride: bad
    Parade: Hell no

Sound about right, the dunne?

He probably doesn't have a problem with pride as a concept but the parade is a big no no as he's mentioned about 15 times (too sexualized, or some such nonsense).

Gheys: meh
    Pride: good
    Expressions of pride: bad
    Parade: Hell no

Sound about right, the dunne?

No, he's against pride as a concept. He says nobody should be proud of who they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,044 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

gmisk wrote: »
    Thread has turned into a cesspool what a shock.
    You would think from reading this thread that homophobia is non existent, it is just snowflakes being overly sensitive.
    I am afraid being yelled at by two lads (f@ggot) who are covering their faces and then subsequently slashed my face with a Stanley knife gives me a very personal experience and opinions.

This thread has gone totally off topic as usual, with pretty familiar posters who seem a tad obsessed with LGBT topics.

I will likely attend something maybe not the march itself on the day.

Just a few posta ago someone claimed they didnt know any homophobes. Maybe they dont but there sure is plenty of them in this thread.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭hcf500

This is disgusting. Trans actress Indya Moore was attacked by a trump supporter in New York. The video below shows the assault. This is trumps America in 2019 and it will only get worse. All this happening during Pride month too!

https://www.theroot.com/pose-actress-indya-moore-attacked-by-trump-supporter-in-1835380804

• Registered Users Posts: 41,044 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Well then stop shoving your heterosexuality in our faces. How about we ban all straight pdas and weddings.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Just a few posta ago someone claimed they didnt know any homophobes. Maybe they dont but there sure is plenty of them in this thread.

Yep.
    Empty vessels make the most noise.

That, or they’re all so far in the closet, they’re in Narnia.

Nothing but projection going on from several posters here.
    Drop the self loathing and putting it on others folks. It’s your life to live. Let others live theirs.

It’s not that difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Except that's not happening.

People uncomfortable with gay "content" think it be like that, but it don't.

A TV programme can be wall-to-wall heterosexual couples groping and kissing and doing whatever else. Then the next scene two lads have a quick romantic kiss and certain people leap up going, "OMG, I don't mind gays but why do they have to shove this in our faces all the time?!"

What makes this even funnier is that all of this perceived gay oppression, is people literally shoving it in their own faces. Get your nose out of twitter, boards and facebook for five minutes, and you'll notice that the real world is not talking about pride every five minutes.

If you feel like you're being overwhelmed with gay content, it's because you're subscribing to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,250 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

hcf500 wrote: »
    This is disgusting. Trans actress Indya Moore was attacked by a trump supporter in New York. The video below shows the assault. This is trumps America in 2019 and it will only get worse. All this happening during Pride month too!

https://www.theroot.com/pose-actress-indya-moore-attacked-by-trump-supporter-in-1835380804

Are you for real?

Advertisement