Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Spatters wrote: »
    I think the negativity towards Davy was based around the fact that when Clare won the All Ireland under Fitzgerald, Kinnerk was getting the praise (much like in Limerick at the moment) but unlike John Kiely who heaped praise on Kinnerk, Davy wasn’t happy the limelight wasn’t on him. This led to the curtailment of Kinnerks involvement which ultimately made Kinnerk walk away.
    Kiely, like Sheedy in Tipp isn’t afraid to surround himself with good people and rightly give credit where it is due without feeling outshone. Davy on the other hand is an ego maniac and full of his own sh1t. He was a bad choice for Waterford especially at that time and the subsequent all ireland final proved that when he had Eoin Murphy and Seamus Prendergast kicking the Kk players- which was totally out of character for them

Not a huge fan ofhim either but just an example (and not meaning to attack above poster either) of how you can twist things to suit a narrative. Especially managers, it seems to be that it has to be either all good or all bad...especially the latter, of somebody has a problem with a manager it's like they have no redeeming qualities. Almost to the point where it seems personal where it's probably not in most cases anyway. That's my experience of Waterford anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

All I have to say is that if Fanning is staying on and it looks like he will, I hope it is all sorted and confirmed before two weeks time when the next round of senior hurling starts so he can start looking at players. Also for junior and intermediate games, we need every player in the county looked at and start fresh in November with full guns blazing. Last thing we need is for him to go and no new manager appointed until the last minute in a panic again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Serious question: who's there to replace the current county officers?

There's a lot of mouthing on here about 'the County Board' which is a pretty large group. I'm assuming that these critics really mean the officers when they call for all of them to step down?

Now I haven't lived in Waterford for a long time so I've no idea who's in the great talent pool to replace these people so maybe someone could name some names? Names of actual people who are willing and able to step up and do these highly lucrative jobs (most of which are unpaid).

I would say that, unlike a lot of the BS artists on this thread, I have been involved in another sport at a high level and the most difficult thing wasn't getting elected, it was finding a successor so I could get out.

So, names?

Every time a position on a State Board comes along, the positions are publicly advertised, and many offer a small amount of compensation for the board members. Something similar should happen here - advertise the posts and the desired skills and see who comes along.

The board of any organisation should set the strategic direction for the organisation and hold the management accountable for their performance in delivering the strategy.

To do that they need to be somewhat removed from the day to day to remain objective and not to get sucked into operational matters. Would anyone venture that this is the case with Waterford GAA?

There are some really capable people in Waterford, such as those from business and ex professional sports people, who would consider getting involved in the right setup but don't want to waste their time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Not a huge fan ofhim either but just an example (and not meaning to attack above poster either) of how you can twist things to suit a narrative. Especially managers, it seems to be that it has to be either all good or all bad...especially the latter, of somebody has a problem with a manager it's like they have no redeeming qualities. Almost to the point where it seems personal where it's probably not in most cases anyway. That's my experience of Waterford anyway

it's a good point, and it does show how easy it is to spin a narrative to show a negative on managers. the other point then being made that Davy is an ego maniac and doesnt like the backroom team getting plaudits. But yet Davy got one of the most successful coaches in Wexford in JJ Doyle on board from day 1 who is still there and is probably likely to succeed Davy when he leaves, so is in on the job for the last 3 years with him. Davy also had Paraic Fanning in too and when he left he now has Stephen Molumphy in with him. He also got Keith Rossiter in too, so having 2 very recent retirees who were excellent players on his staff. That seems to me like surrounding himself with quality people and coaches. But again, the narrative will all be about Davy on his own despite the fact that this sort of set up is leaving Wexford in a good position for continuity after he likely leaves this year.

you can analyse managers to death and spin results and form opinions whatever way you want. Derek McGrath probably the best indicator of that over the last couple of years and that is still ongoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

Giveitfong wrote: »
    The Limerick team of 2018 didn't come out of nowhere. They won the 2013 Munster championship and while they lost the 2014 Munster final they were very unlucky to lose an epic semi-final in that year to Kilkenny. Meanwhile they won the Munster minor final in both 2013 and 2014 (both times against Waterford) and the 2015 and 2017 Under 21 All-Irelands. This underage success didn't come out of the blue either, but is a testimony to the under-age academy in the county set up by Joe McKenna and which was headed by Anthony Daly (on a fulltime basis) for three years.

On top of that, Limerick appointed a very effective senior manager in John Kiely (who managed the 2015 under 21 team) who in turn got Paul Kinnerk to come back from Clare to act as team coach. Kinnerk was the key man behind Clare's All-Ireland win in 2013 (for which Davy Fitzgerald got undue credit). Kiely also appointed a top-class strength and conditioning coach in Joe O'Connor, a performance coach (Caroline Currid) and a four-person team of statisticians. This team has produced a powerful combination of physical strength, fierce commitment, high skill levels and a highly structured and extremely effective game plan suited to the individual strengths of the players. Before this management team arrived, Cian Lynch looked like the kind of flashy wing forward who might be good if the game went his way while Declan Hannon looked like a washed-up forward who never lived up to his underage promise. Now they are two of the key playmakers on the team at midfield and centre back.

All these factors, however, do not explain why Limerick have hammered Waterford in their last three encounters. The Waterford management team is very weak when compared, not only with Limerick, but with Tipperary, Kilkenny and most of the other top-line counties. They do not seem to have any idea of the kind of game plan, based on keeping possession and working the ball through the lines, which the other leading counties employ. These factors, in turn, probably explain the lack of belief and fierce commitment which are the first requirements for survival in today's senior championship.

Limerick 2013 Minor Munster champions (Sean Finn, Richie English, Daragh O'Donovan, Cian Lynch, Tom Morrissey, Barry Nash) (used sub Michael Casey)

Limerick 2014 Minor Munster Champions (Sean Finn, Paddy O’Loughlin, Cian Lynch, Barry Nash, Seamus Flanagan, Tom Morrissey, Peter Casey) (unused sub: Aaron Gillane)

Limerick 2015 Minor Munster runners up (Paddy O’Loughlin, Kyle Hayes, Seamus Flanagan, Peter Casey)

Limerick 2016 Minor Munster and AI runners up (Kyle's Hayes)

Waterford played Limerick in all of those years and were seriously competitive.

In 2015 we only lost to Tipp by a point

In 2016 we were the only team to beat Tipp and lost narrowly to Limerick, (Tipp best Lmk well in both finals, Waterford/Tipp result may be skewed as from memory Tipp got some minor footballers back to play after early rounds)

Limerick minors from that time were developed like a senior team, have gone on to win 21s and seniors.

Tipp minor players have won a 21 but have it found to make an impression on the senior panel.

• Advertisement

JesusRef wrote: »
    Limerick 2013 Minor Munster champions (Sean Finn, Richie English, Daragh O'Donovan, Cian Lynch, Tom Morrissey, Barry Nash) (used sub Michael Casey)

Limerick 2014 Minor Munster Champions (Sean Finn, Paddy O’Loughlin, Cian Lynch, Barry Nash, Seamus Flanagan, Tom Morrissey, Peter Casey) (unused sub: Aaron Gillane)

Limerick 2015 Minor Munster runners up (Paddy O’Loughlin, Kyle Hayes, Seamus Flanagan, Peter Casey)

Limerick 2016 Minor Munster and AI runners up (Kyle's Hayes)

Waterford played Limerick in all of those years and were seriously competitive.

In 2015 we only lost to Tipp by a point

In 2016 we were the only team to beat Tipp and lost narrowly to Limerick, (Tipp best Lmk well in both finals, Waterford/Tipp result may be skewed as from memory Tipp got some minor footballers back to play after early rounds)

Limerick minors from that time were developed like a senior team, have gone on to win 21s and seniors.

Tipp minor players have won a 21 but have it found to make an impression on the senior panel.

Looking at it I stand corrected from previous post where I questioned if we had the players.

After looking at it I would also question Ken McGraths assertion on how we are drifting off in Munster.

We produced serious minor Hurlers from 2009 to 2019 and were competive with serious teams in that time.

What we are doing from the age of 18 to 23 at county level needs to be looked at.

And looking at Limericks senior set up, ours is light years behind. Fanning needs to big hitters in there with him

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭carter10

Looking at it I stand corrected from previous post where I questioned if we had the players.

After looking at it I would also question Ken McGraths assertion on how we are drifting off in Munster.

We produced serious minor Hurlers from 2009 to 2019 and were competive with serious teams in that time.

What we are doing from the age of 18 to 23 at county level needs to be looked at.

And looking at Limericks senior set up, ours is light years behind. Fanning needs to big hitters in there with him

We are producing the players and as indicated above we have been very 'competitive' at underage, however, the point is we keep losing or drawing. Close in the last 3 minor games this year but never looking like winning. In my opinion, the major drawback for Waterford hurling is our mentality. A lot of the time teams are going out hoping to win as opposed to the Tipp/Cork/KK etc who go out expecting to win.
    Someone once said generations of Waterford fans have spent their young formative years sitting in the back seats of cars coming home from matches listening to the adults giving out about the team. That was definitely my experience as a kid and it has an effect on the psyche of a county.
    On Youtube you will find coverage of our last All Ireland win- early in the commentary, the guy says: " it's said that if you get ahead of Waterford early in the game their heads will drop" so we have had this deficit in mentality for years.
    Along with developing structures as suggested by previous posters at the minor, u20 and senior county level, we need to seriously look at bringing in a top sports psychologist.

carter10 wrote: »
    We are producing the players and as indicated above we have been very 'competitive' at underage, however, the point is we keep losing or drawing. Close in the last 3 minor games this year but never looking like winning. In my opinion, the major drawback for Waterford hurling is our mentality. A lot of the time teams are going out hoping to win as opposed to the Tipp/Cork/KK etc who go out expecting to win.
    Someone once said generations of Waterford fans have spent their young formative years sitting in the back seats of cars coming home from matches listening to the adults giving out about the team. That was definitely my experience as a kid and it has an effect on the psyche of a county.
    On Youtube you will find coverage of our last All Ireland win- early in the commentary, the guy says: " it's said that if you get ahead of Waterford early in the game their heads will drop" so we have had this deficit in mentality for years.
    Along with developing structures as suggested by previous posters at the minor, u20 and senior county level, we need to seriously look at bringing in a top sports psychologist.

If you need to see how a team can emerge from a 'county pysche' look no further than Limerick (check out unlimited heartbreak)

Cork supporters over the last few years totally slaughtered their players, including Patrick Horgan (last year after he missed a 65 against Waterford the Cork Stats man (an obnoxious individual) stood up and shouted 'take him off'), but horgsn got it a lot worse in the years before that.

The comment on getting ahead, that is levelled at every single county outside the top 3. Waterford just wasn't a GAA county up to that point (or realistically for a long time after), of course teams with more Hurlers and stronger traditions were going to beat us once they got ahead, the root cause of Waterford losing was not cause the heads dropped.

Waterford minors are more competitive in the last 10 years than they ever were.
    Our minors normally got an awful lot of bad beatings no matter who they were playing.

There is definitely a consistent huge upturn in the performance of our minor teams

It suggests things aren't as bad in Waterford as people make out (the next Offaly).

We need a man in to coordinate our underage squads a development pathway to senior (someone with experience of club, school and county.. Derek McGrath??)

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭upthedeise16

If you need to see how a team can emerge from a 'county pysche' look no further than Limerick (check out unlimited heartbreak)

Cork supporters over the last few years totally slaughtered their players, including Patrick Horgan (last year after he missed a 65 against Waterford the Cork Stats man (an obnoxious individual) stood up and shouted 'take him off'), but horgsn got it a lot worse in the years before that.

The comment on getting ahead, that is levelled at every single county outside the top 3. Waterford just wasn't a GAA county up to that point (or realistically for a long time after), of course teams with more Hurlers and stronger traditions were going to beat us once they got ahead, the root cause of Waterford losing was not cause the heads dropped.

Our minors normally got an awful lot of bad beatings no matter who they were playing.

There is definitely a consistent huge upturn in the performance of our minor teams

It suggests things aren't as bad in Waterford as people make out (the next Offaly).

We need a man in to coordinate our underage squads a development pathway to senior (someone with experience of club, school and county.. Derek McGrath??)

I agree that maybe the underage structures aren’t at the level they could be and our schools could be supported further, such as looking to amalgamate the Dungarvan and surrounding schools again to compete at Harty but I think the Munster PPS board may not allow this.

But on recent minor teams, I’ve been impressed with both the 2018 and 2019 teams other than their ability to close out games and their inconsistency, particularly in 2018. In 2018, Waterford defeated Tipperary who won the All-Ireland later in the year. Surely they have to be a decent team to defeat the overall winners? This year, I feel the team should have progressed out of Munster. I fully believe if they didn’t allow the short puckouts against Clare, they would have won that game. A 1st half sending off against Tipp cost the team the match as they were probably the better side. Again, against Limerick, despite having a decent wind in the 2nd and playing well, they couldn’t get the win but again should have. I didn’t go to the Cork game so can’t comment on it and the team were already eliminated as it was.

There are exceptional teams that have over 5 to play senior but generally, you will only get 2-3 who have stellar intercounty careers which is enough to keep the senior team competitive. It’s the lack of variety of the players coming through that would worry me. Very few big, tall, physically strong forwards coming through that can win their own ball seem to be coming through. In 2013, DJ Foran and Cormac Curran were those big players and certainly Gleeson at centre back but they never developed in to big physical senior players, they aren’t the size of men like Hegarty, Walter Walsh, Cooney, Glynn etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Foran is definitely big enough and skillful enough, and has a great paw on him. His main failing is his aggressiveness, he hurls like a gentleman, and I don't know how or if it is even possible to turn him into an aggressive hungry individual. He is still young but if we could he could be a real asset.

I asked about Cormac Curran in a previous post and what he is at, because he seemed to have the aggression and hurling, was it a commitment issue or was he ever given the chance, not sure. Jack Fagan is another lad mentioned here who while not being a "giant" is certainly capable of winning his own ball. I am sure there are more lads to look at such as Neil Montgomery and Michael Kiely of Abbeyside.

This brings me back to to the "Aussie debate" - for me he is a Half Back , probable center back, but a half back beyond doubt. Last Saturday evening he picked up one ball in his own half back line and pinged it over 80 yards into a forwards hand who had run behind the Cork defender. (cannot remember who the forward was) but it was within inches of leading to a possible goal. The ability to hit this kind of pass is limited to a small number of individuals and we simply don't have them. Playing Aussie up front it a waste of time and resources, he is like a fish out of water. As I have said repeatedly one good game in five is not good enough at inter-county level and Aussie is capable of scoring as much from center back as he is from center forward. One piece of advice to the management for next year whoever they turn out to be, stop this experiment now before it destroys the lad totally, it is a busted flush, concentrate on finding new ball winners instead of robbing Peter to pay Paul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

I think the negativity towards Davy was based around the fact that when Clare won the All Ireland under Fitzgerald, Kinnerk was getting the praise (much like in Limerick at the moment) but unlike John Kiely who heaped praise on Kinnerk, Davy wasn’t happy the limelight wasn’t on him. This led to the curtailment of Kinnerks involvement which ultimately made Kinnerk walk away.
    Kiely, like Sheedy in Tipp isn’t afraid to surround himself with good people and rightly give credit where it is due without feeling outshone. Davy on the other hand is an ego maniac and full of his own sh1t. He was a bad choice for Waterford especially at that time and the subsequent all ireland final proved that when he had Eoin Murphy and Seamus Prendergast kicking the Kk players- which was totally out of character for them
    exactly ,we pissed through the qualifiers , beat tipp in the semi ,and when Davy had time to put his stamp on things he poisoned the whole set up , Pat Flynn deserves all the credit for bringing in Davy , the fact that he played Ken Mc Grath at full back ,is all you really need to know , he's good for a lift thats about it

My take on what is happening in Waterford is that there are enough clubs doing good work and are producing plenty of good young hurlers.

But the colleges and inter county pathway is broken.

The combined colleges were brilliant for us but it is not the answer, I doubt we will ever be allowed amalgamate again.

Forget it and put in place a structure for colleges to stand on their own two feet and compete at Harty - it's the only way

My take on what is happening in Waterford is that there are enough clubs doing good work and are producing plenty of good young hurlers.

But the colleges and inter county pathway is broken.

The combined colleges were brilliant for us but it is not the answer, I doubt we will ever be allowed amalgamate again.

Forget it and put in place a structure for colleges to stand on their own two feet and compete at Harty - it's the only way

To schools like Waterpark College, Newtown, Gaelcholaiste Phort Lairge in the city have a school hurling or football team to play on? To schools like St Pauls, Mount Sion or the Abbey play at any decent standard?

Similarly CBS Tramore, Ard Scoil na Mara, St Declans etc.?

Seems like there's a good few schools there in non-traditional areas, particularly Tramore, which could do with something.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

hardybuck wrote: »
    To schools like Waterpark College, Newtown, Gaelcholaiste Phort Lairge in the city have a school hurling or football team to play on? To schools like St Pauls, Mount Sion or the Abbey play at any decent standard?

Seems like there's a good few schools there in non-traditional areas, particularly Tramore, which could do with something.

The fact of the matter is Waterford have plenty of good hurlers, always had. It's the coaching and management that let you down. Playing numbers in Limerick arent huge. If you take Na Piarsaigh out of Limerick City then theres 1 other senior club. Theres 5 or 6 senior rugby clubs with numerous teams and then theres lots of junior clubs. So it's not a numbers game.
    What Limerick have is half decent structures and lots of money. Not unlimited money but a good bit. The mcManus brothers never give a blank cheque.
    Also you cant underestimate having rugby clubs and Munster rugby around. They pass on knowledge to the hurlers in regards to lifting and power exercises in the gym..high box jumps, speed ect. You cant beat having a powerful hurler come into the gym in UL and see that he has a long long way to go when looking at kids his own age jumping 4 or5 ft vertically and benching 120 or 130 kgs

St Kierans (~ 800 boys), Kilkenny CBS (~700 boys),
    Midleton CBS (~ 900 boys)

Tramore needs to be targeted as a priority as it is one of the only schools in Waterford that can compare with the numbers of boys above (~600 boys in tramore)

Other schools DLS (~1200 boys)

Friary (~ 350 Boys)
    Dungarvan CBS (~350 Boys)
    Lismore CBS (~375 boys)
    St Declans (~375 boys)
    Waterpark (~330 boys)

The Schools in the west aren't big enough, ideally there would be a school catering for 800 boys in Dungarvan... The ideal solution would be all the best Hurlers would want to go to one school there and not be split across the CBS and the friary.

I had a look at the geography of The clubs that supplied to St. Kierans AI college winning teams a few years ago...
    It would similar if all the best Hurlers from a radius or Ardmore, Tallow, ballyduff, fourmile, st marys, ballyduff lower, and everywhere in between went to school in in Dungarvan

Before the new school in Lismore opened, alot of best Hurlers from the far west went to St. Colmans (Eoin Murphy, James Murray, Aidan Kearney, Stephen Molumphy - all ended up playing on the same Waterford senior team) that served us well also!

Giving it further thought - four Waterford GAA secondary school scholarships should be set up (with the financial aid of sucessful locals if required - the where is my money going is a good sell)

Set them up in the following schools in the junior cycle;
    DLS (get all the best Hurlers from the City),
    Tramore (try and build something there)
    Dungarvan CBS
    Lismore BCS

Have senior cycle scholarships for guys you missed at 12...

These are the development squads.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Christ he has destroyed enough of them without putting more through that regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I would start with the lad from Kilrossanty , can’t think of his first name his second name is Lonergan. He has overseen the most impressive development in the county. I met him one evening when my child was running with KCK in Kilrossanty. He walked around with me and Vinny Murray from Rathgormack, he Gave us solid advice about sourcing funding and lads he could get money out of a miser. He would be the ideal candidate for any position on the county board, if I had my way he would be the commercial manager. Just look at the job he has done, he would bring us to the next level.

Sounds like the right type. Is he on the county board now and has he any interest in a greater role?

Every time a position on a State Board comes along, the positions are publicly advertised, and many offer a small amount of compensation for the board members. Something similar should happen here - advertise the posts and the desired skills and see who comes along.

The board of any organisation should set the strategic direction for the organisation and hold the management accountable for their performance in delivering the strategy.

To do that they need to be somewhat removed from the day to day to remain objective and not to get sucked into operational matters. Would anyone venture that this is the case with Waterford GAA?

There are some really capable people in Waterford, such as those from business and ex professional sports people, who would consider getting involved in the right setup but don't want to waste their time.

If my aunt had wheels she'd be a bicycle... The current structure is there and it won't be changed by people moaning on the internet. People actually have to stand and be elected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Giving it further thought - four Waterford GAA secondary school scholarships should be set up (with the financial aid of sucessful locals if required - the where is my money going is a good sell)

Set them up in the following schools in the junior cycle;
    DLS (get all the best Hurlers from the City),
    Tramore (try and build something there)
    Dungarvan CBS
    Lismore BCS

Have senior cycle scholarships for guys you missed at 12...

These are the development squads.

Sorry this is one of the worst suggestions I have ever heard.
    Giving GAA scholarships to secondary school students is just crazy. Talk about giving teenagers big heads.
    Making Ard scoil na Mara, a school of excellence/scholarship school. How many clubs supply that school, tramore and a few from butlerstown and a few from Na Gael make up their school teams. I'm sure the new tramore promotion officer is putting plenty of work into the school.
    Waterford gaa have a secondary schools officer employed, Stephen Enright from abbeyside. In the job about a year and a good fella.
    Schools like waterpark college are schools which can be improved GAA wise. Waterpark college is traditionally a rugby school and has rugby coaches coming into the school to coach it's teams. GAA is fairly new to the school and they are entering in the lowest grade. Room for improvement there. Joe Hagan, Waterford football coach is the new principal there.
    Other room for improvement is amalgamations of smaller schools but don't think Munster post primary schools in favour of that.

• Advertisement

Sorry this is one of the worst suggestions I have ever heard.
    Giving GAA scholarships to secondary school students is just crazy. Talk about giving teenagers big heads.
    Making Ard scoil na Mara, a school of excellence/scholarship school. How many clubs supply that school, tramore and a few from butlerstown and a few from Na Gael make up their school teams. I'm sure the new tramore promotion officer is putting plenty of work into the school.
    Waterford gaa have a secondary schools officer employed, Stephen Enright from abbeyside. In the job about a year and a good fella.
    Schools like waterpark college are schools which can be improved GAA wise. Waterpark college is traditionally a rugby school and has rugby coaches coming into the school to coach it's teams. GAA is fairly new to the school and they are entering in the lowest grade. Room for improvement there. Joe Hagan, Waterford football coach is the new principal there.
    Other room for improvement is amalgamations of smaller schools but don't think Munster post primary schools in favour of that.

Waterpark has a history of being associated with the rugby club of the same name, but they're absolutely hopeless at that and all other sports I think.

Waterpark has a history of being associated with the rugby club of the same name, but they're absolutely hopeless at that any all other sports I think.

Most of the rugby schools had a policy that the best rugby players weren't allowed to play other sports so often the pick wasn't great for the other games. Blackrock College still managed to win a soccer all Ireland with the non-elite lads 10/15 years ago though.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Ard Scoil Ris is 50/50 rugby and hurling. It was predominantly rugby up to 15 -20 years ago and is still an A school in rugby. There was never an issue really with cross over as that decision is made before the junior cycle and there isnt a huge cross over. The one big one recently is Dan Goggin. A fantastic athlete..120kg power and speed..great hurler but his first love was always Rugby. Theres room for 2 top class sports teams in any school. But again its 750 all boys. Castletroy is mixed but 1200 pupils..again A in Rugby and Hurling

Most of the rugby schools had a policy that the best rugby players weren't allowed to play other sports so often the pick wasn't great for the other games. Blackrock College still managed to win a soccer all Ireland with the non-elite lads 10/15 years ago though.

I don't think there are too many elite players in Waterpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

These last few posts are bordering on hysterical , you'd swear there wasn't a lad in the county capable of hurling at senior intercounty level , when in actual fact its an adult problem , the adults who go as club delegates to these meetings ,the adults who " run " the county board and the adults who have overseen the absolute sell out of Waterford hurling for decades , the adults who sit on committee's and in their wisdom who select these rookie managers time and time again who achieved nothing or very very little as a manager with any team at any age group , the same adults couldn't run a piss up in a ****#$g brewery, Adults are the problem here , end of

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

If my aunt had wheels she'd be a bicycle... The current structure is there and it won't be changed by people moaning on the internet. People actually have to stand and be elected.

I think there have been some very useful contributions in the last few pages. The journey of a thousand miles and all that jazz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Gardner

one thing that needs to be changed is underage development coaches. some of these guys are employed over 10 years in the same position. they become stale and its no harm rotating coaches every 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭willbeuptuesday

Sounds like the right type. Is he on the county board now and has he any interest in a greater role?

Don't think so, I know a lad who is involved in the Kilrossanty committee and he told me he oversaw the whole club development. He helped out Kilmac too with their grant applications and they got €70k. I don't know the man that well I spoke to him once looking for advice and he struck me as someone who knows his stuff. Its important that people don't loose the run of themselves criticising the county board as younger people don't tend to have the time to give as volunteers especially parents of kids. We need to support rather that go to town on those brave enough to put themselves forward, if we keep going down the road of the keyboard warrior nobody will do anything. Personally I want reform and I intend to go through my club to achieve it, we just need more people to do the same. A starting point will be a motion to the county convention seeking the abolition of the East and West boards. Then people will see what their delegates are at.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Spatters

Australia had a right win in the soccer v Brazil. 3-2.
    Great game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭carter10

Australia had a right win in the soccer v Brazil. 3-2.
      Great game!

The Brazilian co board are a disgrace, have been for years

This discussion has been closed.
    Advertisement