Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

I couldn't blame him for having a cut off those people. It would be one thing if their criticism was fair and just a difference of opinion, but it wasn't. He was being critised fire playing a defensive system when we were returning relatively high tallies. For not having a goal threat when in 2017 we were the only team scoring goals. For holding back our players when he simply wasn't (and looking at them now it would support this). But worse, even he left and we went into a new season with a new manager, still people want to blame anything that goes wrong on him.

He hasn't really had a cut off the players or current management, just the pundits. Pauric father was a prominent one of those, so if he's happy to dish it out in a newspaper he should be prepared to take it in a paper too.

A lot of the posting here has been pathetic too. The abuse at the players considering all they've given up for us even this year has been shocking. They've had an awful season and I'm sure they're feeling worse about it than anyone. But I'd say they've given up their social lives and family lives in the pursuit of a good season. We owe them some respect. Same with this management, I might think they've fallen short, but I'm sure they've given everything they had to the cause this year. But after listening to criticism that didn't even make sense for 5 years as manager I can understand Derek's frustration that he still has to listen to it in retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

blue note wrote: »
    I couldn't blame him for having a cut off those people. It would be one thing if their criticism was fair and just a difference of opinion, but it wasn't. He was being critised fire playing a defensive system when we were returning relatively high tallies. For not having a goal threat when in 2017 we were the only team scoring goals. For holding back our players when he simply wasn't (and looking at them now it would support this). But worse, even he left and we went into a new season with a new manager, still people want to blame anything that goes wrong on him.

He hasn't really had a cut off the players or current management, just the pundits. Pauric father was a prominent one of those, so if he's happy to dish it out in a newspaper he should be prepared to take it in a paper too.

A lot of the posting here has been pathetic too. The abuse at the players considering all they've given up for us even this year has been shocking. They've had an awful season and I'm sure they're feeling worse about it than anyone. But I'd say they've given up their social lives and family lives in the pursuit of a good season. We owe them some respect. Same with this management, I might think they've fallen short, but I'm sure they've given everything they had to the cause this year. But after listening to criticism that didn't even make sense for 5 years as manager I can understand Derek's frustration that he still has to listen to it in retirement.

Derek McGrath is making a fool out of himself now. That essay was like a first year uni piece . It's just a self serving piece of propaganda. Hes doubling down on why his period in charge was a 'success'. He doesn't care about anyone only his own legacy. Funny thing is he damages it the more he writes. The guy isnt half as clever as he thinks he is...quoting 6th year Shakespeare, for Pete's sake. I'd love to know how this oxygen hes pumping into the Waterford fire is helping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Derek McGrath is making a fool out of himself now. That essay was like a first year uni piece . It's just a self serving piece of propaganda. Hes doubling down on why his period in charge was a 'success'. He doesn't care about anyone only his own legacy. Funny thing is he damages it the more he writes. The guy isnt half as clever as he thinks he is...quoting 6th year Shakespeare, for Pete's sake. I'd love to know how this oxygen hes pumping into the Waterford fire is helping

Surely if people are entitled to point out his failings then he's entitled to defend his position. He just uses national media instead of boards!!!
    In fairness there was successes in his time not enough trophies in my opinion but with the amount of all stars won in his time and poy/ypoy etc it makes me think that he got the best out of them players. Some of them downed tools because they didn't like paraics methods or maybe he didn't have the spiel that suited there egos. We have a lot of players in the county who are very good in a winning team but quickly blame manager when losing this happens both at club and intercounty.
    Back or sack paraic now so it's done either way. This will give time to him or new manager to get a proper backroom staff installed and hopefully find few new fellas in club championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

BloodyBill wrote: »

Did he tell you this himself or is it just something you thought up and then decided it must be true?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Obi1mikal

Ken McGrath views success different to Derek McGrath, on the sunday game ken spoke of success over 10 years, during that 10 years he was a player and a selector so the comment was not pointed entirely at Derek.

Ken obviously sees success as actual silverware for the team something derek ultimately failed to deliver over his 5 years in charge (barring the sole league victory).

I think it is down right shameful (and blasphemous) out of Derek to drag Ken's name into his article, when his sunday games comments were about a 10 year period.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

BazBox wrote: »
    Did he tell you this himself or is it just something you thought up and then decided it must be true?

The fact he had nothing positive to say about new players coming onto the team,(prunty and calum.lyons)who are only bright spots for us this season

and used a national newspaper to do a hatchet job on any critism and essentially accuse his critics of placing club rivilary above the health of county game.....could lead one to perhaps conclude he places an over emphasis on his own legacy??

Always taught he had a touch of class(particularly speech post all ireland loss),while wary of limitiations of his tactics....but he is just an absolute toxic individual underneath it all when his coulers come to show

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

_blaaz wrote: »
    The fact he had nothing positive to say about new players coming onto the team,(prunty and calum.lyons)who are only bright spots for us this season

and used a national newspaper to do a hatchet job on any critism and essentially accuse his critics of placing club rivilary above the health of county game.....could lead one to perhaps conclude he places an over emphasis on his own legacy??

Always taught he had a touch of class(particularly speech post all ireland loss),while wary of limitiations of his tactics....but he is just an absolute toxic individual underneath it all when his coulers come to show

He hasn’t anything good to say about them because they have shown up one of his many faults as a manager and that was his blind loyalty to the squad he put together and one that couldn’t be added to or subtracted from as in his own head it would show failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Spatters

I think to be fair to Ken, he has been consistent in his criticism of the sweeper system as a way of winning things long before Paraic Fanning came along

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭SW1985

blue note wrote: »

I agree with everything you say here. A sensible,thoughtful and accurate post in a sea of ****e

cul beag wrote: »
    He hasn’t anything good to say about them because they have shown up one of his many faults as a manager and that was his blind loyalty to the squad he put together and one that couldn’t be added to or subtracted from as in his own head it would show failure.

They weren't ready last season. He had previously mentioned at least one if not two of them as having a very big future with Waterford

• Advertisement

SW1985 wrote: »
    They weren't ready last season. He had previously mentioned at least one if not two of them as having a very big future with Waterford

Do you honestly think conor prunty would be starting ahead of barry coughlan,if mcgrath was still over the team??

Do you honestly think conor prunty would be starting ahead of barry coughlan,if mcgrath was still over the team??

Both would have been starting I'd imagine.

Both would have been starting I'd imagine.

There is the issue...coughlan isnt intercounty standred (they even laugh about this in ballygunner ffs)....but because he is what seems to be favoured/pet he'll be picked irregardless

There is the issue...coughlan isnt intercounty standred (they even laugh about this in ballygunner ffs)....but because he is what seems to be favoured/pet he'll be picked irregardless

This is the kind of stuff that does my head in. The level of analysis amounts to having a cut at certain players you don't like.

We had a really solid defence during most of Dereks tenure. It wasn't about individual players in was a about a strong functioning defensive unit. We were as good as any team in the country at snuffing out goal chances. Barry played an important part in it.

Would you say we were better at the back this year? You wouldn't.

This is the kind of stuff that does my head in. The level of analysis amounts to having a cut at certain players you don't like.

We had a really solid defence during most of Dereks tenure. It wasn't about individual players in was a about a strong functioning defensive unit. We were as good as any team in the country at snuffing out goal chances. Barry played an important part in it.

Would you say we were better at the back this year? You wouldn't.

Mate,i have nothing againest coughlan,by all accounts hes a top.person and sound out....but your the only person who thinks hes intercounty standred

If a player is getting roasted time and again its not just a bad day....rabbiting on with vague notions of a collective unit is waffle.....your only as strong as your weakest link...

.every county in the country was targeting him and it was gaurneteed scores every time ball went in there one on one....either forward win it and score or coughlan foul him and give away frees

He's not a good enough full back for the modern era....we were only county needed 2 sweepers....one for actual sweeping role....other to help the full back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭Motivator

Fair play to anyone that can laugh at a chap that was nominated for an All Star.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

That article is the biggest crock of horseshyte I've ever had the misfortune to read. I can't believe he even put his name to it. Absolute deluded fool and a bitter dishonest liar too. Derek i dont know if you ever read this forum but let me tell you you have single handedly destroyed this bunch of players and Waterford hurling with your horrendous management and ego. You should have packed in the job after year one when it was clear you were a spoofer and now you have the gall to blame the outgoing players back then who served Waterford well. You have won nothing and your record as a hurling manager is abysmal. And now you try to gaslight us with quotes and statistics. heres a quote that I think i heard somewhere @Trust your own eyes and not deceitful mouths. I watched your hurling for 5 years and what i saw was the hurling of a failed manager. I would trust Ken McGrath's and Brian Flannery's opinions any day over the trite you spout. After the desperation of this year i was somewhat open to Derek coming back for better or worse but now no, he is not the way forward. That's just toxic stuff he has come out with, i hope the powers that be are taking note and dont go near him with a barge pole ever again

Apologies for the rant but I was genuinely shaking with anger after reading that article, methinks Derek has a career as a media provocateur :)

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

If Derek does read this he'll be delighted with the Shakespeare quotes used in the finely crafted rebuttals. A- standard cos no one is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Ropaire wrote: »
    If Derek does read this he'll be delighted with the Shakespeare quotes used in the finely crafted rebuttals. A- standard cos no one is perfect.

The prince of darkness is a gentleman!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people"

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Deise Gael

There's one thing I know, 20 and 30 years down the line, there will be volumes written about Ken McGrath and the film will be there for us to savour and to back up the legend that he is.

However, history won't be as kind to his namesake.

He'll be lucky if he gets one line or a footnote in our hurling history
    He did a great disservice to Waterford hurling today which will not be forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭Motivator

Deise Gael wrote: »
    There's one thing I know, 20 and 30 years down the line, there will be volumes written about Ken McGrath and the film will be there for us to savour and to back up the legend that he is.

However, history won't be as kind to his namesake.

He'll be lucky if he gets one line or a footnote in our hurling history
    He did a great disservice to Waterford hurling today which will not be forgotten.

I half to say I agree with you. Derek had absolutely nothing to gain writing that piece and I’m surprised he actually went ahead with it. I’m not surprised with the things he said, the air of superiority surrounding him has grown and grown over the last 12 months.

In truth, Derek will go down as an utter failure as manager of Waterford. Has any other manager lost as many finals as he? The players loved him yes, but you never hear them say he was a great tactician or he improved them as players. They regail us with stories of how he helped them to develop as men etc. His profession explains the power he held over the panel and the almost hypnotic hold that was on them during his time.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

The reactions to Mcgraths comments in today's article are fascinating. Ex managers become pundits all the time. I didn't find his article that bad . English literature and grammar etc are a passion of his and his use of them in articles shouldn't be getting people's backs up. As for him not being remembered in Waterford hurling history, at the end of the day he got the team to an all Ireland and nearly won it . Whether we like the tactics or style he done a lot better than the present manager will do with most of the same players . We weren't in a great position after 2018 and his time was up for sure but we are in a worse place after this season

The reactions to Mcgraths comments in today's article are fascinating. Ex managers become pundits all the time. I didn't find his article that bad . English literature and grammar etc are a passion of his and his use of them in articles shouldn't be getting people's backs up. As for him not being remembered in Waterford hurling history, at the end of the day he got the team to an all Ireland and nearly won it . Whether we like the tactics or style he done a lot better than the present manager will do with most of the same players . We weren't in a great position after 2018 and his time was up for sure but we are in a worse place after this season

You might have to read through the article a couple of times to really grasp it. he uses alot of floury language but the message is clear. Everything is other peoples fault and nothing to do with me cos I'm brilliant. Narcissism on a level Trump would be proud. Disgusting article really cos he takes swipes at people in the most underhanded and deadly manner possible. This Shakespeare stuff seems to have gone to his head

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Deise Gael

There's one thing sure about Derek and that he is a leader of boys not men as he proved by jettisoning some serious experienced Waterford hurlers in 2015.

He thought he was being cute by bringing in some secondary students and freshers and asking for time. The type of schoolboys that he was used to managing.

Unfortunately for Derek, who likes to think he is the only well read person who follows Waterford hurling, it ended akin to another Shakespearean tragedy.

At this stage I'm not sure if he thinks is he Polonius, Hamlet, Cornwall, Atticus Finch, Boo Radley or Andy Dufresne but he's coming across as a really sad person.

He needs to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭5948ai

Lads this forum is depressing

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭EYEBALLSOUT

Motivator wrote: »
    I half to say I agree with you. Derek had absolutely nothing to gain writing that piece and I’m surprised he actually went ahead with it. I’m not surprised with the things he said, the air of superiority surrounding him has grown and grown over the last 12 months.

In truth, Derek will go down as an utter failure as manager of Waterford. Has any other manager lost as many finals as he? The players loved him yes, but you never hear them say he was a great tactician or he improved them as players. They regail us with stories of how he helped them to develop as men etc. His profession explains the power he held over the panel and the almost hypnotic hold that was on them during his time

Of course he had a hold on them. Allegedly With
    €€€ coming in from the USA & divvying out to players with little or no traceability sure they’d love him forever. Tis no wonder they never talked about his tactical prowess, they were delighted with the wage packet. #payforplay

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Et Tu Brute (Derek)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Lads some of yere obsession with Derek McGrath is unhealthy. It’s 12 months down the line since he left and now writing articles on the examiner and yere still getting yere knickers in a twist about him. He’s a journalist now and if he wants to fire some shots back at people then that’s what journalists do. I doubt Ken McGrath or Brian Flannery are at home crying themselves to sleep, that’s just how media works, you make comments other people can bite back.

Personally I’d be much more concerned sbout Ken McGraths views of Waterford, as that’s a guy I respect as a leader and a winner. when he speaks I listen to, and value what he has to say

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement