Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

I wouldn't mind seeing Ken get the job himself, the man bleeds Waterford. did ok with Mount Sion, got a poor Mount Sion team to a couple of county semi finals

Couldn’t agree with you more. A colossus of a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Obi1mikal

cul beag wrote: »
    Yes and also an indirect cut at the people that are looking for Mcgrath back in the fold also!

He said over the last 10 years, in which time he served as a selector with Waterford, so not everything is about Derek, also speaking about himself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

cul beag wrote: »

I wouldn't mind seeing Ken get the job himself, the man bleeds Waterford. did ok with Mount Sion, got a poor Mount Sion team to a couple of county semi finals

Would love to see him managing Waterford. Would have a good philosophy about how the game should be played and is an inspirational character.
    Would also like to see Paul Flynn involved. Everytime I read him in the news and Star his analysis is always very good. Trained lots of these lads at under 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Would love to see him managing Waterford. Would have a good philosophy about how the game should be played and is an inspirational character.
    Would also like to see Paul Flynn involved. Everytime I read him in the news and Star his analysis is always very good. Trained lots of these lads at under 21.

Both great players and a nice romantic idea. But neither are the men to come in and sort out this mess. I don’t know of anyone within the county that can. Bringing back Derek would do more damage than good aswell, there seems to be this perception that the players aren’t playing because they want him back, which is rubbush. The feeling among most of the players was that Derek had his day and it was time for a new voice, just not Fanning’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

Just seen on Twitter that Brian O’Halloran is calling time on his inter county career.

Also, sad to see JJ Hutchinson retiring from the senior football panel. He’s been a mainstay for the best part of 10 years and probably one of the best forwards we’ve had over the last few decades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Brian O'Halloran has announced he is retiring from the Waterford panel. Probably more to follow as well I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Both great players and a nice romantic idea. But neither are the men to come in and sort out this mess. I don’t know of anyone within the county that can. Bringing back Derek would do more damage than good aswell, there seems to be this perception that the players aren’t playing because they want him back, which is rubbush. The feeling among most of the players was that Derek had his day and it was time for a new voice, just not Fanning’s.
    Exactly people on here getting mixed up between great players and people who would actually do a good job .some one who has actually achieved something ,you know like Sean Power ,not just some ex players that suit the crowd .Dan ,Kearney Murray , etc etc .nice guys but keep going , You'd need a serious backroom team , not nice lads and yes men , people who count and are genuinely listened too by the manager , you'd actually wonder where fanning was going with his team , and your man burns who made a balls of the minor team a few years back , what exactly did he actually contribute, same could be said of the other two .I'm not sure now is Anthony Daley worth a shot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Anthony Daly doesn't like Waterford (justifiably) anyway, so why would be take them on now at a time where things look as bad as they've been in 23 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Just seen on Twitter that Brian O’Halloran is calling time on his inter county career.

Also, sad to see JJ Hutchinson retiring from the senior football panel. He’s been a mainstay for the best part of 10 years and probably one of the best forwards we’ve had over the last few decades.

Is that you JJ!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Best of luck to Brian O Halloran. He was brilliant as as a minor, didn't quite happen for him at senior level unfortunately. But he showed good commitment and was always a good sub to bring on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Exactly people on here getting mixed up between great players and people who would actually do a good job .some one who has actually achieved something ,you know like Sean Power ,not just some ex players that suit the crowd .Dan ,Kearney Murray , etc etc .nice guys but keep going , You'd need a serious backroom team , not nice lads and yes men , people who count and are genuinely listened too by the manager , you'd actually wonder where fanning was going with his team , and your man burns who made a balls of the minor team a few years back , what exactly did he actually contribute, same could be said of the other two .I'm not sure now is Anthony Daley worth a shot

Still waiting on you to post up your 30 players that you would pick for a panel for next year.
    Or is criticizing the only thing your able to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DLS2THECORE

Decent club player was O’Halloran.
    Never quite able to translate to inter county scene.
    Dare I say it, he won’t be missed.
    Nothin against the chap at all by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Still waiting on you to post up your 30 players that you would pick for a panel for next year.
    Or is criticizing the only thing your able to do?
    stopitboywillya,,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Best of luck to Brian O Halloran. He was brilliant as as a minor, didn't quite happen for him at senior level unfortunately. But he showed good commitment and was always a good sub to bring on.

He was a brilliant minor alright, I remember him scoring points from all angles one day against Clare I think. And didn't he start a senior all Ireland semi final as an 18 or 19 year old? Looked a real prospect but never happened for him at senior level. Lots of injuries too.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,050 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Best of luck too Brian. Always gave it his all in the Waterford jersey

Really want too see the news of Fanning resigning in the next few weeks. 2020 could be a miserable year if hes still at the helm. If he is too stay than he needs a new backroom team with experience

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    He was a brilliant minor alright, I remember him scoring points from all angles one day against Clare I think. And didn't he start a senior all Ireland semi final as an 18 or 19 year old? Looked a real prospect but never happened for him at senior level. Lots of injuries too.

The All ireland minor semi final 2009 he scored 5 or 6 great points from play,think its on youtube. His goal against Clare the same year was a class one, soloed in from the halfway line. Ya he started against Tipp by Davy in 2010 but was taken off after 15 mins.

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    Brian O'Halloran has announced he is retiring from the Waterford panel. Probably more to follow as well I'd say.

That feels like such a short intercounty career, seems not that long ago he looked like a star in the making in the Munster minor final win against Tipp and everyone was getting excited. He scored a point in an AI final but other than that because of injuries there were not too many more stand out moments.

That feels like such a short intercounty career, seems not that long ago he looked like a star in the making in the Munster minor final win against Tipp and everyone was getting excited. He scored a point in an AI final but other than that because of injuries there were not too many more stand out moments.

To be brutally honest, he shouldn't have been anywhere near the panel the last 3 or 4 years. Its one of the major problems that we have in Waterford. Underage stars not translating to Senior and then left hanging around the panel for years in the hope they will produce eventually because there is no one better to replace them.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,050 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Crazy rumours going round

The Tuesday before the Limerick game 14 players went on the piss instead of going training

In feb some players had booked a 2 week holiday for the end of june

PTH2009 wrote: »

The Tuesday before the Limerick game 14 players went on the piss instead of going training

The first one actually wouldnt surprise me, the second one would be strange as they had a good league and hadnt the towel thrown in by then I'd imagine. look they are amateurs at the end of the day and humans. Something is not right, if fanning is the issue then they should communicate that to the county board or say what it is exactly what/who they do want

• Advertisement

The first one actually wouldnt surprise me, the second one would be strange as they had a good league and hadnt the towel thrown in by then I'd imagine. look they are amateurs at the end of the day and humans. Something is not right, if fanning is the issue then they should communicate that to the county board or say what it is exactly what/who they do want

I can tell you that previous posters rumours are absolute bull****

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

To be brutally honest, he shouldn't have been anywhere near the panel the last 3 or 4 years. Its one of the major problems that we have in Waterford. Underage stars not translating to Senior and then left hanging around the panel for years in the hope they will produce eventually because there is no one better to replace them.

Plenty of fellas better than him to be honest. A loyal servant though and the best of luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭upthedeise16

The All ireland minor semi final 2009 he scored 5 or 6 great points from play,think its on youtube. His goal against Clare the same year was a class one, soloed in from the halfway line. Ya he started against Tipp by Davy in 2010 but was taken off after 15 mins.

Reading Davy’s book, he compared him to Shane O’Donnell in 2013, starting a young lad but it didn’t work out for Brian due to the supply of ball he received compared to O’Donnell.
    Any player who gave 10 years of their time to the jersey deserves respect, even if he wasn’t getting game time and picked up a lot of injuries, he didn’t drop off or give up which is a credit to him. I’d love to see him play football for a year or 2 as he is very talented with the big ball.
    Best of luck to Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

It wasn't his fault that injuries ruined him. His pace as a minor was incredible but he had a nightmare few years and when he did some back he just didn't have that pace any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Best of Luck to Brian O'Halloran, seems a really nice lad and is a fine hurler, unfortunately for him I think all the injuries he suffered robbed him of that blistering pace he showed at Under Age that could have made all the difference. Persistent injuries beyond doubt hamper development and in Brian's case this was evident.

Brian's career path serves to show that brilliant minors and underage stars do not necessarily progress to senior star status, for a number of possible reasons. Despite all the public outcry in the media and on this site, our Under Age Structures have improved dramatically over the last 10 / 15 years, yes they could be much better but they are not the disaster everyone is talking about and have provided plenty of "raw material" for senior management to work with. Unfortunately this is where the "system" is seems has really started to break down. Of the long list of fine minor sides and potential stars we have produced culminating in our All Ireland Minor winning side, how many have really gone on to develop their game at senior level. Is all the time and expense put into the coaching of our senior team actually improving players or is it too focused on systems!!! Genuine question, not a targeted attack on anyone, but really has our players individual skill levels improved despite all this extra time and coaching? For me our touch and striking is quite poor, raising the question, is this being neglected totally for the sake of tactics and systems. An honest and frank discussion without personal vendettas would be nice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Anthony Daly doesn't like Waterford (justifiably) anyway, so why would be take them on now at a time where things look as bad as they've been in 23 years?

Well I mean from a cold analysis the absolute best time to take over a team is when they have hit rock bottom, there is only one way you can go really.

I wouldnt be rushing to appoint Daly though, a money man who talks the talk but at the end of the day have delivered fcuk all.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭puzl

PTH2009 wrote: »

Are these rumours coming from the same guy who told you minors were being drafted into seniors?

Because if they are then please stop posting them because you are just making the problem worse. Someone is feeding you complete bull****. You know, sometimes it is better to not pass the rumour on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

Even if this is true which i highly doubt it is. Then it is pretty dissapointing if there is no "unrest" considering the gutless performances that we displayed the past few weeks.

Unrest would be a good thing that would initiate change.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement