Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you taking part in any LGBTQ events for pride month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Seamus, for your post to be true, "straight innuendo advertisement" would have to be targeted at LGBT community, it's no. It doesn't exist/

Just because the couple in the ad happen to be heterosexual, it doesn't mean it's being shoved in the faces of homosexuals. It's innuendo, not gay/straight innuendo (whatever the fcuk that is supposed to be).

There's no "straight agenda", there's homophobic arseholes out there alright, but that does not represent the entire straight population. Just a pimple on your arse. There is still an agenda for the gay community, unfortunately so the parade still has meaning.
    I don't think you even know what you're attempting to say here. This is gibberish.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

This thread, and every other that covers an LGBT issue, shows why Pride is still needed.

eviltwin wrote: »
    This thread, and every other that covers an LGBT issue, shows why Pride is still needed.

I disagree. I think that the intolerance comes from both sides. Apparently stating that scantily clad people declaring their sexuality isn't exactly child friendly is unacceptable hate speech.

I think that when any objection to any aspect of "pride" leaves you open to being levelled a bigot is overkill.

Most people on here have absolutely no issue with homosexuality. A lot of posters are unwilling to accept any criticism of their mindset (on both sides).

I think a parade celebrating any sexuality isn't a place I'd bring my child. I'd rather homosexuality was shown as just a thing that some people are rather than a mardi gras type parade but if some people want to do that, that's fine.

I've already been told that as a straight man, my opinion is invalid, but I dread to think that if I told a gay person that their opinion on any issue involving straight people was invalid as they don't know what it's like to be straight, what the reaction would be.

You may as well say that this thread, and every other that covers an LGBT issue shows why Pride is not needed.

I treat my homosexual friends as equals, not as wonderful, brave people. Their choice of sexual partner does not define them in my eyes.

How hateful is that?

I disagree. I think that the intolerance comes from both sides. Apparently stating that scantily clad people declaring their sexuality isn't exactly child friendly is unacceptable hate speech.

I think that when any objection to any aspect of "pride" leaves you open to being levelled a bigot is overkill.
    To spare everyone a multi-quote battle, I'll only quote this part of your post, which is probably a fair summation of your views?

I don't know about you, but when I think of LGBT+ Pride, I think of families like my own -- straight families attending a parade, enjoying the music of the Army Band, and a general feeling of goodwill and fun throughout the city centre -- it's not for nothing that it's been nicknamed Gay Christmas. I tend to forget that there is a tiny, rainbow-clad minority of men in mankinis doing caprioles across Smithfield Square. Most people, gay or straight, are there for the carnival atmosphere, and the fun of it all, and are pretty carefree about some moderate debauchery.

I'd like to know what the great kerfuffle is.

You can't turn on a television without seeing the heterosexual equivalent of this.

I think, as Seamus has pointed out earlier in this thread, we sometimes ignore how prevalent heterosexual sexuality is in ordinary life. And it's probably not a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

no. and why does it have to be a month fgs?

Because the heteros have the other 11 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Mr.Frame wrote: »
    Because the heteros have the other 11 months
    No, the rest of the year is mixed.
    There is no hetero pride months parade or anything like that.

I think a pride week or month is good, but that above is not correct.

I'd like to know what the great kerfuffle is.

You can't turn on a television without seeing the heterosexual equivalent of this.

I think, as Seamus has pointed out earlier in this thread, we sometimes ignore how prevalent heterosexual sexuality is in ordinary life. And it's probably not a big deal.

I disagree. I can and do turn on the television with my child and can avoid seeing the heterosexual equivalent (whatever that is). I don't like my daughter being exposed to any sexual politics.

We don't ignore that heterosexuality is prevalent in society. We accept it is. Most people are heterosexual. That's not a bad thing. Being homosexual is rarer than being heterosexual. That doesn't mean it's a bad thing either, it's just not as prevalent. From the sounds of it, some people want exact equal representation of sexuality. That's ridiculous.

As I've stated, sexual politics (or any politics) for that matter isn't something I am willing to expose my daughter to. She is aware of homosexuality and doesn't bat an eyelid when my friend calls over with his boyfriend. I would like it to be normal for her. But if they called over in leather chaps and insisted about how proud they are of their sexuality, I wouldn't let them around my daughter. In much the same way if my mate called over with his girlfriend in bondage gear and said that they were so proud of being with each other, I'd not them around either.

We don't ignore that heterosexuality is prevalent in society. We accept it is. Most people are heterosexual. That's not a bad thing. Being homosexual is rarer than being heterosexual. That doesn't mean it's a bad thing either, it's just not as prevalent. From the sounds of it, some people want exact equal representation of sexuality. That's ridiculous.
    Literally nobody here has said that.

Frankly, it sounds as though you might be attempting to manufacture an argument which doesn't exist.

Let's assume that we don't want our children exposed to any sexual behaviour until they are 18. I see no reason to get all-caught-up-in-a-heap when this applies only to homosexuality. If it is such a serious issue regardless of sexual preference, we as a society must almost be at crisis-point?

Let's now take explicit sexual references out of this, and label all sexual preferences as A, B and C. If B is the predominant manifestation of sexual behaviour and sexual proclivity on our media, shouldn't that be the overwhelming cause for concern, with other such manifestations being somewhat sidelined? I mean, that's what you'd expect if the concerns were completely free of prejudice?

Frankly, it sounds as though you might be attempting to manufacture an argument which doesn't exist.

Not at all. Plenty of posters are saying that heterosexuality is being rammed down our throats on a daily basis. I'm saying it's not.

Let's now take explicit sexual references out of this, and label all sexual preferences as A, B and C. If B is the predominant manifestation of sexual behaviour and sexual proclivity on our media, shouldn't that be the overwhelming cause for concern, with other such manifestations being somewhat sidelined? I mean, that's what you'd expect if the concerns were completely free of prejudice?

No. Because I have no problem with sexuality in the media. I control what my daughter sees.

I have no problem with anyone's sexuality. I just thought that when people were saying that heterosexuality was so normalised we don't notice it, was ridiculous.

My point was that any criticism of gay pride leaves you open to being branded a "phobe" and told your points aren't valid because you aren't gay. That's ****ty behaviour.

• Advertisement

Not at all. Plenty of posters are saying that heterosexuality is being rammed down our throats on a daily basis. I'm saying it's not.

If you are straight you probably don't notice it. If you're queer its very obvious. I don't know any family like mine, i don't see them represented on tv or in real life. Pride is a chance for me to meet other parents like me and for my kids to meet other children who have parents like them. We look like any other family, no club gear or slogans, just normal clobber. It's a one day thing that can be easily avoided if it's not you're thing but it's a very important event for a lot of us for a variety of reasons.

No. Because I have no problem with sexuality in the media. I control what my daughter sees.

I have no problem with anyone's sexuality. I just thought that when people were saying that heterosexuality was so normalised we don't notice it, was ridiculous.

My point was that any criticism of gay pride leaves you open to being branded a "phobe" and told your points aren't valid because you aren't gay. That's ****ty behaviour.
    If you're having no trouble in (somehow, miraculously) shielding your child from heterosexual sexuality, then why can't you simply do the same when it comes to other sexualities? What's the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Is there any straight pride events over the next few weeks?

TK Maxx checkout aisle, every day

TK Maxx checkout aisle, every day

Serious answers only purrrr-leaaaaase

Serious answers only purrrr-leaaaaase
    I didn't think your question was serious.

But being serious, if you want to start a festival to celebrate human sexuality, I think that would be very welcome. Let us know when and where!

I didn't think your question was serious.

But being serious, if you want to start a festival to celebrate human sexuality, I think that would be very welcome. Let us know when and where!

Read my question again please and thanks. Slowly if necessary !!

If you're having no trouble in (somehow, miraculously) shielding your child from heterosexual sexuality, then why can't you simply do the same when it comes to other sexualities? What's the issue?

I was saying that the pride parade itself does have overt sexuality.

My child knows there are gay couples. Doesn't phase her. She knows that usually people are heterosexuals. Doesn't bother her. Her seeing a couple kiss on TV makes her squirm (regardless of the genders) because she is a child. I've taught her that being gay or straight is nothing to be proud of. It's who you are.

Gay pride by it's very name would suggest to a child that you should be proud of being gay. I don't think you should.

"We're here, we're queer, get used to it".

We did. Doesn't seem enough though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I might go to the dog show.

My child knows there are gay couples. Doesn't phase her. She knows that usually people are heterosexuals. Doesn't bother her. Her seeing a couple kiss on TV makes her squirm (regardless of the genders) because she is a child. I've taught her that being gay or straight is nothing to be proud of. It's who you are.

Gay pride by it's very name would suggest to a child that you should be proud of being gay. I don't think you should.

"We're here, we're queer, get used to it".

We did. Doesn't seem enough though.

Not everyone is as open minded as you. Some people at pride will have faced discrimination, may have lost family or friends or have had a long road to self acceptance. Most of them will have experienced being told their sexuality was wrong. For them its a huge thing to be able to be open, its empowering to say they are proud of who they are. Maybe one day we will get to a stage where being gay is as underwhelming as being left handed but we're not there yet. So let's let the queer community have this day without constantly having to justify its existence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

I'm not into the gay scene myself, so no interest in it.

I hope it goes well for them, I'm a gay myself but for some reason I just don't go along with being proud of being myself and I think it undermines sexuality.

Prancing around in bondage gears for the bedroom or adult club's as far as I'm concerned, I'm old fashioned lol

I'm probably a moderate gay man, who's a lone wolf who hangs out with similar guy's and more into intrepid fishing, surfing and Camping trips.

I feel lonely at gay club's and bar's there's a sense of a sexual energy going on, if they're happy with it more power to them.
    But not for me, I'd like to head off into the wilderness and enjoy nature...not a flamboyant festival..

I hope it's enjoyable when it goes ahead...

G'luck

eviltwin wrote:
    Not everyone is as open minded as you. Some people at pride will have faced discrimination, may have lost family or friends or have had a long road to self acceptance. Most of them will have experienced being told their sexuality was wrong. For them its a huge thing to be able to be open, its empowering to say they are proud of who they are. Maybe one day we will get to a stage where being gay is as underwhelming as being left handed but we're not there yet. So let's let the queer community have this day without constantly having to justify its existence

I never said they couldn't. I have no problem with the pride parade. I just dislike immensely when people are branded bigots for saying that they feel it's inappropriate for children and/or having any issue with pride month.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

I never said they couldn't. I have no problem with the pride parade. I just dislike immensely when people are branded bigots for saying that they feel it's inappropriate for children and/or having any issue with pride month.

Agree
    The Pride drink and drugs fest with so much sexual themes is not a kids environment

And I was replying that overt sexuality is everywhere, the vast majority of it is heterosexual. The latter is ubiquitous. It pervades most aspects of our lives.

You have obviously done a fairly miraculous job in shielding your child, or children, from heterosexual sexual content. Why do aspects of the LGBT movement seem so problematic, in comparison?

bigpink wrote: »
    Agree
    The Pride drink and drugs fest with so much sexual themes is not a kids environment

It certainly is not suitable for kids

Leaving aside the sexual themes

Saw a short section of it by chance last year.

Loads of ppl absolutely out of their minds on drink and a cocktail of drugs - most of em old enough to know better -30s upwards wrote off

Loads of ppl absolutely out of their minds on drink and a cocktail of drugs - most of em old enough to know better -30s upwards wrote off

For balance sake, that's the same with St Patrick's Day festival. The difference is the inclusion of sexual pride

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Leaving aside the sexual themes

Saw a short section of it by chance last year.

By that logic the Patricks Day Parade isn't suitable for kids either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Mod

Thread banned

Omackeral wrote: »
    By that logic the Patricks Day Parade isn't suitable for kids either.

While that’s a whole other topic I will bite.

The behaviour at the parade I saw was way worse than my experiences with st Patricks day over the years in terms of both alcohol intoxication and drug abuse.

But yes. Agreed, I know st Patricks parade is very bad also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

You dont need one

Advertisement